To take step 2 or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rg2o3

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ve read many similar posts but would like to talk about my specific scenario. I’m not sure if I should take step 2 or not. I’m going to be honest and say I’m worn down and out of motivation. Now, a little background

Applying - EM
Step 1 - 221
Level 1 - 612

At the beginning of dedicated I took UWSA1 and got a 228 and a day ago I took UWSA2 and scored a 244. I’m supposed to take step 2 the 22nd and level 2 the 25th. I am just not sure I will obtain a good score. My step 1 score was lower than all my practice exams and have a feeling the same will occur. Any help or suggestions would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you sure that you want to do EM given how bad the job market is? and likely will get worse.

Things can always change but it does not seem like it given outrageous EM residency expansion and mid-level encroachment..

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
N=1 but my friend had both a lower Step 1 and Level 1 (by a lot) than you and matched, although not at his top choice. No ECs or anything fancy.

As I recall from my friend who went into EM last year, they often value Step 2 moreso than Step 1.

Step 1 gets you through filters, but Step 2 helps them stratify you as a candidate.

Reactions: 1 users
EM resident here (DO). I normally don’t comment on stuff like this, but my advice would be to take step 2 if you want to keep your options open. Caveat to that would be that you would hopefully do better or at the very least not any worse than your step 1 score.

During my interviews every single program commented on my improved step 2 score if that makes any difference to you.

Edit: I reread your post. I got significantly lower scores than you and had plenty of interviews/matched just fine.

Take step 2. Can’t imagine EM being competitive this coming cycle.

Are you sure that you want to do EM given how bad the job market is? and likely will get worse.

Things can always change but it does not seem like it given outrageous EM residency expansion and mid-level encroachment..
Yes, I have to take the risk. It is actually the only thing I’ve enjoyed so far in medical school. I’m hoping to work rural EM. Not sure if that will help with jobs at all, but I have to try. I’ve contemplated this decision for quite some time.