Too late for uro?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Urolog

Reaction score
Hi, everyone.

I’m a rising USMD senior, and I just decided I’d like to go into urology. I made >250 on Step 1 and clinical grades are all Hs. I do have a home program.

Since I just decided, I have no away rotations set up. I have 1 research experience in urology as well as one in a tangentially-related surgical field, but no pubs.

Is it too late for me for the upcoming match? Should I plan a research year, or should I go ahead and try? Thanks for your advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, everyone.

I’m a rising USMD senior, and I just decided I’d like to go into urology. I made >250 on Step 1 and clinical grades are all Hs. I do have a home program.

Since I just decided, I have no away rotations set up. I have 1 research experience in urology as well as one in a tangentially-related surgical field, but no pubs.

Is it too late for me for the upcoming match? Should I plan a research year, or should I go ahead and try? Thanks for your advice!

It’s going to be a tall order, but should be possible. Have you already done a home rotation? Do you have connections to get letters from urologists at your home program? You need to set up at least 1 away ASAP.

Your research will be sub par but grades and scores are good. If you apply broadly you should have a good shot of matching somewhere, though lack of research will limit you at more competitive places. You need to get involved with projects in your department now, maybe get an abstract into your sectional meeting. They may not bear a ton of fruit now, but it will give you something to put on your app and talk about at interviews.

Alternatively you can wait a year, likely be a stronger applicant with more research (and stronger letters from research mentors) and multiple aways. It’s up to you.

It’s going to be a tall order, but should be possible. Have you already done a home rotation? Do you have connections to get letters from urologists at your home program? You need to set up at least 1 away ASAP.

Your research will be sub par but grades and scores are good. If you apply broadly you should have a good shot of matching somewhere, though lack of research will limit you at more competitive places. You need to get involved with projects in your department now, maybe get an abstract into your sectional meeting. They may not bear a ton of fruit now, but it will give you something to put on your app and talk about at interviews.

Alternatively you can wait a year, likely be a stronger applicant with more research (and stronger letters from research mentors) and multiple aways. It’s up to you.

I have not yet done a home rotation; the earliest I am scheduled to do one would be July 1-August 1, pushing aways back until at least August/September. My connections with the faculty at my home program are probably good enough for 1, maybe 2 letters.

Ultimately, I’m simply interested in matching. I don’t particularly have a strong desire to go to a top/name brand program. I know aways are highly recommended — are they absolutely necessary, however?

Members don't see this ad :)
According to my friend in urology you can do always in August/ September. That’s my plan

You can do aways in Aug/Sept, but might be worth trying to get one before your home rotation too. Places where you've rotated and done well are your best shot at matching, so for someone in your situation the more aways you can do, the better.

Hey, I also decided on urology in my 4th year. Similar grades to you, no uro research but some pubs in other fields, although nothing earth shattering. B/c I decided late, I did not get an away prior to applications being submitted, but I did do one in october, just when interviews started.

I’m saying this because I matched, at a great program, high on my rank list. I had a decent number of interviews. Earlier decision would definitely have helped, as my lack of longer term involvement led to less stellar letters from Urologists and the lack of away rotation definitely hurt. But It still worked out very well. You can do it! But do try to get an away, try to get involved at least in some research now to show some interest and have something to talk about on interviews. It should work out!

Reactions: 1 user