Too late to send out primaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wjin06

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I've had a hell of a time writing my personal statement and have not turned in my primary yet. I know we're supposed to try to turn those in ASAP, but clearly, it did not happen for me. How much of a disadvantage am I at right now? I've heard that if you wait until early August, you're already at a SEVERE disadvantage and you might as well wait until next year. Is this true? When does it become a significant disadvantage?

Members don't see this ad.

you're at about a normal advantage/disadvantage right now. waiting a few weeks will start to really suck for you.

so you're fine, just go ahead and get it done.

you're at about a normal advantage/disadvantage right now. waiting a few weeks will start to really suck for you.

so you're fine, just go ahead and get it done.

Second this advice. I turned in my application at this time myself, last year. You are just a teensy bit behind, but nothing that can't be overcome. :)

Good luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Early is relative. In an ideal situation, you want to have your trascripts at AMCAS and submit that primary on June 5. However, it is only one month since the beginning and a couple of weeks since the schools have been able to receive the AMCAS applications (June 21st).

I would say that you are about average if you get the application in now. The advisor at my postbac keeps saying that July is still considered early. I think that the disadvantage really starts to kick in if you submit those secondaries in late August and September.

You're still early. I was verified in mid-June and have only received about half of the secondaries.

Early is relative. In an ideal situation, you want to have your trascripts at AMCAS and submit that primary on June 5. However, it is only one month since the beginning and a couple of weeks since the schools have been able to receive the AMCAS applications (June 21st).

I would say that you are about average if you get the application in now. The advisor at my postbac keeps saying that July is still considered early. I think that the disadvantage really starts to kick in if you submit those secondaries in late August and September.

I agree, it only starts to get really bad in Aug/Sept so youre fine. Just get it done so you can start on the secondaries.

I think you are fine. I didn't send mine in until august last year and wasn't verified until late september and didn't finish four of my secondaries until early december. I had 4 interviews (out of 8 applications), 1 straight acceptance, 1 acceptance off of a waitlist and I'm still on two other waitlists. I wouldnt recommend waiting any longer, but its possible :). I was probably just super lucky though.

I think you should be fine. It's difficult to judge when 'late' is now. Since this is the first year for the CBT MCAT people seem to be applying at all different times. I know a lot of people who haven't even taken the MCAT yet. You should be OK, but I would not wait much longer.

Don't worry so much. Submit it in as soon as you can.
Last year my gf submitted hers at the begining of August and was not verified until begining of September. She went on to get multiple acceptances and is going to a top10 medical school next year.

Don't let these SDNers freak you out. Do your best, it is never too late to submit primaries.

Aim to get it done in 1 week, then as soon as you turn it in, start working on your secondaries. Remember it is not when you submit your primary, it is when you complete your application.

Finish most of the difficult secondaries before they come in, and you'll be able to finish your entire application by the end of August, which is still fairly early in the cycle.

You are not "late" yet. I applied late the first time I applied (i.e. Mid september) and pretty late the 2nd time I applied (End of August). Mid-July is not late and I bet compared to the nonSDN applicant you would still be early by submitting now.

With that said, it helps to get in as early as possible so just finish up and submit

Good luck

I am in a similar boat. It took me longer than expected to get my primaries together. I plan on submitting in less than a week for sure. AMCAS already sent me an email that they received my transcipts however. Will my application get verified faster bc those are already in or does it still take weeks? I really hope I haven't put myself in a disadvantage by lagging... Also, where can we find the secondary applications so we can get started before we receive them? Thanks for the help...

Actually one more question:

I am getting my June 15th MCAT scores on July 18th, should I wait until then to submit in case I did poorly on my MCAT? I don't want to spend all that money if I bombed it, I'd rather wait to get my masters and just apply next year.

On the other hand, would five more days matter? When would I be verified if I submitted on July 18th? (my transcripts are already in)

THANKS!

Aim to get it done in 1 week, then as soon as you turn it in, start working on your secondaries. Remember it is not when you submit your primary, it is when you complete your application.

Finish most of the difficult secondaries before they come in, and you'll be able to finish your entire application by the end of August, which is still fairly early in the cycle.
First of all, I'm planning on submitting my primaries tonight or tomorrow and AMCAS already has my transcripts, so just wondering about how long does it take them to verify an application and for ppl to start getting secondaries in the mail?

Second of all (relating to what you said).. I'm assuming that LORs are sent along with secondaries.. I'm probably not getting my second science prof LOR til Sept (I didn't catch my prof in time before she left and won't be back or free until late August to help me w/my letter :().. so does that mean my application won't be "complete" until then even if I submit now? Is that getting late in the game? :scared:

As I understand it, since I don't have a premed committee at my school, for most schools I need at least 2 science+1 nonscience LOR... I didn't get to know too many of my professors personally that's why I might have to count on waiting til Sept to get my 2nd one from that prof unless---would my research prof count in lieu of a 2nd science prof letter?

Is the consensus that there will be a large number of submissions to AMCAS this week following the release of June mcat scores?

OP: I think your fine. Just try to get those secondaries in as soon as you get them. Those with NO essay should be sent out the day of. Those with essay(s) should be balanced out: quality of essay vs. time spent (80% quality submitted by mid august or early sept beats the hell out of 120% essay submitted in Dec!) Good luck. Hit the submit button if you haven't already done so!!!!

WiscDoc

Yeah, I still have to send out my primary. Actually, I posted earlier about retaking the MCAT and how I'm hoping that they will wait for my second MCAT score before judging me...as my first one is terrible and my GPA is nothing too great. So, I'm banking on the second MCAT...if I apply now (and they know I'm retaking the MCAT) would they just reject me on the basis of low GPA? or would they wait?

I mean, I'd rather send it in later and have them see my second MCAT score than send it now and have them reject me quickly.

Try asking the schools. I'm retaking the MCAT also, and a few of the schools said they would look at my application twice to see if I get a secondary.

First of all, I'm planning on submitting my primaries tonight or tomorrow and AMCAS already has my transcripts, so just wondering about how long does it take them to verify an application and for ppl to start getting secondaries in the mail?

Second of all (relating to what you said).. I'm assuming that LORs are sent along with secondaries.. I'm probably not getting my second science prof LOR til Sept (I didn't catch my prof in time before she left and won't be back or free until late August to help me w/my letter :().. so does that mean my application won't be "complete" until then even if I submit now? Is that getting late in the game? :scared:

As I understand it, since I don't have a premed committee at my school, for most schools I need at least 2 science+1 nonscience LOR... I didn't get to know too many of my professors personally that's why I might have to count on waiting til Sept to get my 2nd one from that prof unless---would my research prof count in lieu of a 2nd science prof letter?

Hey,

I submitted mine on 7/10. They already had my transcript and my application is still "in line for review."

That's kinda the same problem I'm having too. My humanities professor went on vacation and won't write the letter until he's back. argh. I'm hoping the LORs won't be too late too. For now, i would finish the secondaries so that you can submit them as soon as your LORs are ready. As for the research one in lieu of the science LOR, try asking the schools if they won't mind. I'm pretty sure it'll be ok.