Too Late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maria044

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a college junior deciding to go full pre-med student. I have always wanted to work in medicine, just not sure which area. I am a little panicked though, since I do not have several of the pre-req's(chem's), nor the high GPA so many do (worked 50+ hours a week during my college years). Since I haven't taken the Chemistry classes, it will delay my MCATS for another year or two. I was wondering if anybody had any advice or inspiration for somebody starting a little late? My GPA is around a 3.0, but I do have the work exp. covered, as I have been in health care as a CNA and Easter Seals worker for 7 years. Thank you for your time and assistance. I am determined to make it, just feel like I'm sitting on the starting line spinning my wheels. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

work hard, go with your goals and ambitions...

do your best to finish the requirements in a reasonable goal, and most of all, be true to yourself and your ambitions, and don't let anything or anyone come in your way ;)

worst comes to worst, go get a masters or your phd and reply then when you have kick-A** records

I wish you the very best,

watcha

Watcha hit the nail on the head!

You aren't late in the whole scheme of things. Do worry about being a year or two behind. Just make great grades, get the most out of your classes, prepare for the mcat, and continue your volunteering.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Maria044,
Don't worry, you are not that far behind! I am 25 and I am just applying now. Grades are really important though, but the good news is that they like improvement. You need to get almost all A's during your Junior and Senior years I would think. Maybe even take a fifth year to get your GPA up.
Good luck!

Maria,

I agree with folks who posted above...I graduated 8 years ago with a 2.9 and some very bad grades in sciences classes. I'm not a science major. But thanks to some work experiences and a great post-bac program, I'm interviewing at some great schools. So stay focused and keep the faith...it will work out.

Thank you for the wonderful words of encouragement. I will definately keep my chin up knowing that there are so many positive people out there that will one day be my fellow co-workers.
:D
Thanks again and I wish you all the best of luck!

Maria044 i agree with everyting others have said, but would like to add just one thing... make sure you come to sdn and read peopels post, expriences, etc. therr is some real great people on this site. they have helped me beyond words.

"Old Lady" is 25?? Oh, that's rich. Get out the walker and the Ensure.

25? Please...