DrAmir0078

AIC Resident / CA2 / KIMC
2+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2018
Iraq
Dear Anesthiologists,
I hope you are doing well, I want to open a subject for discussion and it is not a case either, but this subject has been an issue for not short period of time in my Country and because of limited social interactions with other nations, I have this opportunity to write it here and get your opinion!
“He died because of anesthesia…”, “…too much anesthesia and he passed”, “… my friend has died because of extra dose of anesthesia and I am afraid …”…. etc, are those familiar phrases with you over there?; and how are you dealing with it, especially with the globalization of social networking, and the Right of the person to express his thoughts, and how to educate the people and let them aware? Isn’t frustrating? any articles about digging in such topic? why we are blamed?
Thanks
Amir

Reactions: 1 users
Jul 5, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Blaming anesthesia is the favorite pastime of many surgeons. They will never take the blame for anything. Can't see anything in the arthroscopy? "What's the blood pressure?!" Little oozing during a lap chole? "What's the blood pressure?" 90 year old vasculopath has a postop stroke after surgeon loses a liter in a hip nail? Look the map was below 65 for 30 seconds, it's anesthesia's fault. I'm glad I don't have to deal with crappy surgeons for the most part anymore. It's always the ones that suck that are the issue.

Reactions: 7 users

SaltyDog

West Coast Anesthesiology Ninja
10+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2007
The Bight
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Have you tried giving less anesthesia?

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
About the Ads

DrAmir0078

2+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2018
Iraq
Blaming anesthesia is the favorite pastime of many surgeons. They will never take the blame for anything. Can't see anything in the arthroscopy? "What's the blood pressure?!" Little oozing during a lap chole? "What's the blood pressure?" 90 year old vasculopath has a postop stroke after surgeon loses a liter in a hip nail? Look the map was below 65 for 30 seconds, it's anesthesia's fault. I'm glad I don't have to deal with crappy surgeons for the most part anymore. It's always the ones that suck that are the issue.
So the root of the problem is the surgeon!

DrAmir0078

2+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2018
Iraq
Have you tried giving less anesthesia?
I can imagine what will happen ! lol - but seriously a problem over here, people are preoccupied with thoughts and you know, I searched on twitter "died from anesthesia" and found so many - mostly Americans - talking about it, but mostly dogs/cats too ! so, these thoughts run into vet world too !

Reactions: 1 user

coffeebythelake

Supreme Commander Anesthesiologist
10+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Dear Anesthiologists,
I hope you are doing well, I want to open a subject for discussion and it is not a case either, but this subject has been an issue for not short period of time in my Country and because of limited social interactions with other nations, I have this opportunity to write it here and get your opinion!
“He died because of anesthesia…”, “…too much anesthesia and he passed”, “… my friend has died because of extra dose of anesthesia and I am afraid …”…. etc, are those familiar phrases with you over there?; and how are you dealing with it, especially with the globalization of social networking, and the Right of the person to express his thoughts, and how to educate the people and let them aware? Isn’t frustrating? any articles about digging in such topic? why we are blamed?
Thanks
Amir

It's a wastebasket term used by everyone other than the anesthesiologist to explain what happened when the patient has a bad outcome in the OR.

Reactions: 3 users

jwk

CAA, ASA-PAC Contributor
15+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2004
Atlanta, GA
So the root of the problem is the surgeon!
YES!!!!

My personal favorites -

Hemostasis is a surgical problem.

Anesthesia makes surgery possible, not easy.

Anesthesia keeps the patient alive in spite of the surgeon.

jwk

CAA, ASA-PAC Contributor
15+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2004
Atlanta, GA
I-85 Bridge collapse in downtown Atlanta a couple years ago? Also anesthesia's fault.

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 8 users

Matthew9Thirtyfive

Do it.
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
5+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I-85 Bridge collapse in downtown Atlanta a couple years ago? Also anesthesia's fault.

This is not really related but I am starting rotations and we had to watch these Stanford videos on mistreatment where they have acted out scenarios (kind of ironic it’s coming from them), and one of the scenarios was in the OR and the anesthesiologist was on his phone the whole case haha.

pgg

Laugh at me, will they?
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2005
Home again
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Obligatory -

• Haha
Reactions: 16 users
Jul 5, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
This is not really related but I am starting rotations and we had to watch these Stanford videos on mistreatment where they have acted out scenarios (kind of ironic it’s coming from them), and one of the scenarios was in the OR and the anesthesiologist was on his phone the whole case haha.

How was the video where they didn't give any vaccinations to the people providing care to the patients?

nimbus

15+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2006
Status (Visible)

That is a sign that the case is going smoothly.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
About the Ads

WholeLottaGame7

15+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2005
Right here.
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
It's a wastebasket term used by everyone other than the anesthesiologist to explain what happened when the patient has a bad outcome in the OR.
Almost always this.

The most recent one was "my grandfather, who's in his 70s and had like 30 surgeries, was intubated in the ICU for 3 days after his cystectomy because of anesthesia."

coffeebythelake

Supreme Commander Anesthesiologist
10+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
On one hand, it's very frustrating when we get blamed for **** that wasn't our fault.

On the other, it subconsciously reminds everyone that what we do is dangerous and they should worry.

Maybe that's not such a bad thing.

I don't know about that, it makes anesthesia seem like a black box and thr wild west

Ronin786

7+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I really like to stand for my cases though... am I freaking out my surgeon?
Ive freaked out a few surgeons by asking "how are things going up there?"

They invariably grumble about how they'll let me know when they're done or look in awe to make sure the patient is alive. I just was wondering...

• Haha

VA Hopeful Dr

15+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I don't know about that, it makes anesthesia seem like a black box and thr wild west
For those of us who know basically nothing about anesthesiology, it absolutely is a black box. If not for this forum, all I would know about your field is what I gleaned from three second year pharmacology lectures.

Reactions: 4 users

Matthew9Thirtyfive

Do it.
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
5+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
For those of us who know basically nothing about anesthesiology, it absolutely is a black box. If not for this forum, all I would know about your field is what I gleaned from three second year pharmacology lectures.

I like that our school has a required anesthesiology rotation.

Robotic Wis-Hipple

SDN Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2016
I like that our school has a required anesthesiology rotation.
I bet it’s 2 weeks within the surgery clerkship where 90% of the Med students treat it like a vacation trying to get out by 3 and/or the anesthesiologists pawn you off on a resident or just take you from IV start to edentulous intubation opportunity all day.

The procedures are the expected “anesthesia” experience but they provide next to nothing in terms of experience/understanding of what we actually do.

MirrorTodd

It's a gas.
10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
Nowhere
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I bet it’s 2 weeks within the surgery clerkship where 90% of the Med students treat it like a vacation trying to get out by 3 and/or the anesthesiologists pawn you off on a resident or just take you from IV start to edentulous intubation opportunity all day.

The procedures are the expected “anesthesia” experience but they provide next to nothing in terms of experience/understanding of what we actually do.
That's something we are actively working on in the military hospital where I am. Too many Usuhs students treating it like a vacation.

Matthew9Thirtyfive

Do it.
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
5+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

It’s not part of the surgery rotation, but I’m sure a lot of people treat it like a vacation. It’s a separate required 4-week rotation that’s 2 weeks in the OR, a week of pain, and a week in the ICU. I’m hoping to actually learn from it.

DrAmir0078

2+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2018
Iraq
On one hand, it's very frustrating when we get blamed for **** that wasn't our fault.

On the other, it subconsciously reminds everyone that what we do is dangerous and they should worry.

Maybe that's not such a bad thing.
I truly liked the idea of subconscious thinking - has a lot of truth beneath it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads