Top 5's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ahhhh, the magical promised land of employment (or at least underemployment). While the pay may be better, I'll miss the student hours.

Top 5 bests about grad school:

1) Like my sub-I, it's over

2) Multiplayer Unreal

3) Going for a run at lunch. Or before lunch. Or after lunch. Or between lunch and the entire-lab-effort crossword....

4) Pictures of neural cells (OK, so not everyone will agree with this one, but I still don't understand why)

5) Thinking instead of checking off the little boxes on "the list."

Members don't see this ad.

Primate said:
Ahhhh, the magical promised land of employment (or at least underemployment). While the pay may be better, I'll miss the student hours.

Top 5 bests about grad school:

1) Like my sub-I, it's over

2) Multiplayer Unreal

3) Going for a run at lunch. Or before lunch. Or after lunch. Or between lunch and the entire-lab-effort crossword....

4) Pictures of neural cells (OK, so not everyone will agree with this one, but I still don't understand why)

5) Thinking instead of checking off the little boxes on "the list."

Ah, are you done with med school now and getting post-doc level pay?

I only respond to this because you mention multiplayer unreal. Dude, we had several people in the lab play this game. When the boss would leave, those who were still futzing around in the lab would totally get in on that!

Taking pretty pictures, I agree, is much better than checking off those stupid little boxees. GG subI's! :thumbdown:

No post-doc dough, as yet. Still have about 4 months of clinic/elective left as I took a chunk of non-clinical time over the past summer.

As for unreal, we had a bunch of people across our floor playing. One could hear hoots and shouts across the whole place - pretty cool. My favorite was one of our post-docs who developed 1st person shooter skills before his English proficiency. No one outside our lab had heard him speak, until one day he was heard yelling, "I'm on the roof, need help!" People thought he was having his first break, until they walked by the fellows' room and saw the rest of us staring at the comp screen without blinking (our signature move).

Top 5 1st person shooter moments:

1) Taciturn post-doc yelling crazy **** at top of lungs.

2) Having 6 of us in the same room go online and DOMINATE

3) The beauty and simple grace of the impact hammer

4) Renaming the 'bots after all of our thesis committee members and attendings

5) Working phrases from the game into formal presentations (this was something of a challenge, as there were alot of us trying to do it, and only so many people that could get away with saying something to the effect of "the non-radial mode of migration is DOMINATING all others at this time point" in a basso profundo voice)

:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Primate said:
No post-doc dough, as yet. Still have about 4 months of clinic/elective left as I took a chunk of non-clinical time over the past summer.

As for unreal, we had a bunch of people across our floor playing. One could hear hoots and shouts across the whole place - pretty cool. My favorite was one of our post-docs who developed 1st person shooter skills before his English proficiency. No one outside our lab had heard him speak, until one day he was heard yelling, "I'm on the roof, need help!" People thought he was having his first break, until they walked by the fellows' room and saw the rest of us staring at the comp screen without blinking (our signature move).

5) Working phrases from the game into formal presentations (this was something of a challenge, as there were alot of us trying to do it, and only so many people that could get away with saying something to the effect of "the non-radial mode of migration is DOMINATING all others at this time point" in a basso profundo voice)

"And now the microbe is in BEAST MODE...."

RAMPAGE was fairly easy to sneak in, but GODLIKE was a real toughie. :D

Can't wait for residency and all the gaming that will ensue. :rolleyes:

P

Primate, I'm totally with ya there on incorporating game stuff into talks. I saved this one graphic from one of the Warcraft games I was playing. I would incorporate it into my PPT presentations when I was talking about something that was frustrating to me (e.g., another lab who was trying to scoop us but failed).

Primate said:
RAMPAGE was fairly easy to sneak in, but GODLIKE was a real toughie. :D

Can't wait for residency and all the gaming that will ensue. :rolleyes:

P

Remember Godmode in Doom? Yes I realize that game was so yesterday but that was the first FPS game I played.

Wait for residency to start gaming? Cmon man! Dump the electives and start gaming now! :thumbup:

Top 5 moments thus far in 2004 MLB:

5) Sox getting into the ALCS
5) Game 4
3) Game 5
2) Game 6
1) Game 7

:D :D :D :D :D :D

My sister gets to go to game 1 tomorrow night. Figures, the year I finally move out of the state the world series shows up.

Top 5 world series games I remember seeing:

1) 1991 game 7, Jack Morris throws 10 shutout innings for the Twinkies. That game is why I love baseball.
2) 1997 game 7 - extra innings in game 7, The Tribe can't put it away. Watched it in college with a bunch of Indians' fans and I still feel their pain.
3) 2001 game 7, D-Backs beat Rivera. A somewhat overrated game, but I will overrate it too because I was so enraptured by the whole game.
4) 1988 game 1, Gibson homers to beat Eck. Probably the single coolest moment in baseball history.
5) 2002 game 6, Angels' big comeback. Like watching a train crash in slow motion.

Honorable mention to Joe Carter's walkoff in 1993 game 6. But I was 17 at the time and therefore I was a maladjusted youth.

Note that I have no memory of 1986 game 6. Who am I kidding, I basically remember every pitch. But I didn't like the result so it doesn't count.

Also, saw a replay of game 6 from 1975 and only wish I was around then to see that baby.

yaah said:
My sister gets to go to game 1 tomorrow night. Figures, the year I finally move out of the state the world series shows up.

Honorable mention to Joe Carter's walkoff in 1993 game 6. But I was 17 at the time and therefore I was a maladjusted youth.

Just like me going to Michigan for med school. I moved to Ann Arbor in 1998, one year after Michigan won the national championship in football. The first two games I saw were when Michigan got their asses handed to them by Notre Dame and Syracuse. And they STILL haven't won another national championship (last year wasn't even close considering that USC flat out embarrased us in the Rose Bowl...not that we would've been national champs or co-national champs if we somehow won that game). This year, it ain't gonna happen either. Watch, when and if I leave Michigan, they'll go and win a championship...just to spite me!

Plus yaah, I doubt you were maladjusted having gone to such a prestigious institution like Andover :laugh:

AndyMilonakis said:
Plus yaah, I doubt you were maladjusted having gone to such a prestigious institution like Andover :laugh:

I think I was just bitter because most of the people in my class I didn't like and didn't want to hang around with. A vicious cycle of bitterness. I have no idea how they picked applicants there - I guess it goes into the whole unpredictability of the changes that kids go through from progression from 13 to 18. Some of them were frankly at their smartest and most mature at 13.

Primate said:

Sounds like Unreal Tournament to me...I love that game! Did anyone work "HEAD SHOT" in there?

Would've been perfect for a friend doing MRIs of mouse brains. ;) Sadly, to the best of my knowledge it was never done. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
yaah said:
I think I was just bitter because most of the people in my class I didn't like and didn't want to hang around with. A vicious cycle of bitterness. I have no idea how they picked applicants there - I guess it goes into the whole unpredictability of the changes that kids go through from progression from 13 to 18. Some of them were frankly at their smartest and most mature at 13.

I hear ya man. I don't know how many people you had in your class but my high school class numbered around 800. I didn't know many of them so I can't say I disliked a lot of people in my class. I just ended up hanging out with my little "posse" of friends who were all cool folks. I just thought about this after just having looked at the alumni site for my high school. None of us ended up going to any of the reunions but it was interesting (but not too meaningful) to read about and see all these random people I never really knew having gotten married, having kids, getting fatter, getting hotter, etc.

Fermata said:
Those seem to be a select group.

:: flexes :: :D

hey man, you said in some other thread that you've played the yngwie signature strat. cool stuff...what kinda stuff you play man?

Top 5 unanswered questions:

1) Who shot JFK?
2) What do women want?
3) Why is american idol popular?
4) Why doesn't everyone want to do path?
5) Andy's question to Fermata above.

I don't want contentment, I want a python skin gucci bag!

Pingu said:
I don't want contentment, I want a python skin gucci bag!
that's right! again i says...you gotta live first class to be first class!

bananaface said:
Contentment offers you the gucci bad PLUS matching shoes. ;)

Sooo unimaginative using the same vendor. Prada or Hermes for bag, Manolo Blahnik or Christian Leboutin for heels, puhlease...

AndyMilonakis said:
Just like me going to Michigan for med school. I moved to Ann Arbor in 1998, one year after Michigan won the national championship in football.

Hey - that championship was split with my team, the Huskers!! :D

Though when I was in Nebraska I had the opposite experience Andy and yaah have had with their sports teams - I was there in the mid/late 90s when they were dominant, and then as soon as I left they started totally sucking. :thumbdown:

beary said:
Hey - that championship was split with my team, the Huskers!! :D

Though when I was in Nebraska I had the opposite experience Andy and yaah have had with their sports teams - I was there in the mid/late 90s when they were dominant, and then as soon as I left they started totally sucking. :thumbdown:

Please come to Michigan for residency.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
AndyM

bananaface said:
Personally, I would rather find a partner than a purse and shoes. But, to each their own contentment!

Who says that one thing cannot lead to the other???

Not even someone with reptilian moves?

Remeber what they always say in the commercials for stocks: Past Performance is no Indication of Future Performance...

AndyMilonakis said:
what a poignant thread this has become :thumbup:
Are you telling me you are about to cry? :confused:

Main Entry: poi·gnant
Pronunciation: 'poi-ny&nt sometimes 'poi(g)-n&nt
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English poinaunt, from Middle French poignant, present participle of poindre to prick, sting, from Latin pungere -- more at PUNGENT
1 : pungently pervasive <a poignant perfume>
2 a (1) : painfully affecting the feelings : PIERCING (2) : deeply affecting : TOUCHING b : designed to make an impression : CUTTING <poignant satire>
3 a : pleasurably stimulating b : being to the point : APT

deschutes said:
Least of all someone with reptilian moves.

See ya later, alligator.

Oh, yeah, snakeskin heels and a croc bag. NOW ya' talkin'!

Too much talk about kids and classical music in this forum.... let's talk about things that are cool. Like March Madness. Top five men's NCAA teams according to me:

1. Illinois (nobody else is close)
2. UNC
3. Duke
4. Michigan State
5. Villanova

Freestyle said:
Too much talk about kids and classical music in this forum.... let's talk about things that are cool. Like March Madness. Top five men's NCAA teams according to me:

1. Illinois (nobody else is close)
2. UNC
3. Duke
4. Michigan State
5. Villanova

Illinois is looking really good. Lately they haven't been scoring a whole ton of points in their games. Plus, the Big Ten sucks in basketball this year.

1. UNC (easily the best team, esp. if McCants healthy, hands down NCAA champs, I mean hands down)
2. Illinois (not quite as strong as everyone thinks)
3. Arizona (they'll surprise, very strong as of late)
4. Oklahoma State
5. (tie) Gonzaga and Indiana (watch my hoosiers blow up the big ten in the big ten tournament BBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMM) :smuggrin:

Top 5 watering holes from the interview trail:

1. Essenhaus, Madison, WI - without a doubt
2. Top of the Hill, Chapel Hill, NC
3. Claddaugh Pub, Baltimore, MD
4. Conor O'Neills, Ann Arbor, MI
5. Humphery, St. Louis, MO

BTW you path guys and gals are a pretty cool group. I'm doing PM&R, but just giving ya your props.

Pretty much all of college bball is one giant cesspool of mediocrity (or at least inconsistency). I've been an ACC bball fan my entire life, but watching the ACC this season gave me the hershey squirts. It wasn't any better when I watched the other conferences. I would definitely put Illinois #1 and UNC #2 and everyone else after that (Duke will go down if the refs call a tight game). All that being said, I wouldn't be shocked if Illinois and UNC lose before the final.

I don't know... I think McCants was healthy for their 11 point loss to Santa Clara and their beating at the hand of Wake Forest. I am sure I don't need to bring up what Illinois did to Wake.

I don't know... I think McCants was healthy for their 11 point loss to Santa Clara and their beating at the hand of Wake Forest. I am sure I don't need to bring up what Illinois did to Wake.

If I remember correctly, Felton was out for that Santa Clara loss (still not really much of an excuse).

Freestyle said:
4. Conor O'Neills, Ann Arbor, MI
You mean Colon O'Stools?

Just kidding. It's a great place to end the evening on a Friday night when you're already bloody pissed drunk.

CameronFrye said:
Pretty much all of college bball is one giant cesspool of mediocrity (or at least inconsistency). I've been an ACC bball fan my entire life, but watching the ACC this season gave me the hershey squirts. It wasn't any better when I watched the other conferences. I would definitely put Illinois #1 and UNC #2 and everyone else after that (Duke will go down if the refs call a tight game). All that being said, I wouldn't be shocked if Illinois and UNC lose before the final.

Although I'm a fan of the Dookies, I think they will make it to the sweet 16 but will not go any further. The problem with Dook is that they play very feisty and aggressive on defense and they get into foul trouble way too early way too many times.

AndyMilonakis said:
Although I'm a fan of the Dookies, I think they will make it to the sweet 16 but will not go any further. The problem with Dook is that they play very feisty and aggressive on defense and they get into foul trouble way too early way too many times.

Yeah, that last Duke-Maryland game was pretty laughable there at the end once Duke had lost their entire team to foul trouble.

I see where maryland lost for a 3rd time to Clemson today. Off to the NIT for them :laugh: :laugh:

I can't believe I'm on call tonight during the first night of the ACC tourney. :mad:

CameronFrye said:
Yeah, that last Duke-Maryland game was pretty laughable there at the end once Duke had lost their entire team to foul trouble.

I see where maryland lost for a 3rd time to Clemson today. Off to the NIT for them :laugh: :laugh:

I can't believe I'm on call tonight during the first night of the ACC tourney. :mad:
Dude, I was getting really super pissed as Dook's players were fouling out one by one. How many players fouled out that game for Dook? Like 6?

I hope Maryland doesn't make it into the NCAA tournament. I really really hate the Terps. And they're the one team that has Dook's number.

The UNC-Dook games were really good though.

ACC basketball >>> All >>>>>>>>> being on call (which blows).

*eyes glazing over*

AndyMilonakis said:
drink more wine.

Okay, that freaked me out, since I just went and got another glass of wine. Stop it!