Top Choice & Reason

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AsianGuy26

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Everyone post what is your top choice for pharmacy school and the reason why it is. :D Just wondering how everyone else is deciding!

Members don't see this ad.

Most people's big reasons for top choice:

1.) Money (in state tuition)
2.) Location (near family)
3.) Know someone who goes/went there
4.) Prestige/Ranking
5.) Curriculum/3 vs 4 year

Last edited:
Midwestern and Mercer are my top choices, because of location and family mainly. The 3 year curriculum is a nice bonus too.

Members don't see this ad :)
My top choice is Sullivan because of their 3 yr program which has classes Monday through Thursday with Fridays off.

My 2nd choice is UH Hilo because, well, it's Hawai'i!

UCSF for location. I have a family and I can't move to attend any other school.

not top choice perse but my top three picks are
wayne state: close to home, already have a place in downtown, in state tuition, know some faculty and students

midwestern ccp: :love:LOVEEEEE the campus! 3 year program, NEED TO GET OUT OF MI, yet still not that far lol

LECOM-Erie: also 3 year program, large class-- maybe i can visit over thanksgiving? or maybe ill even get an interview early! *wishful thinking :luck:*

My 2 top reasons are location (nearness to home) and the #prereqs I'll have completed for a particular school by next Fall.

Top choice this year:

USN
1. 3 year school
2. academic forgiveness!
3. I'm ready to apply now
4. not too far from home
5. block system sounds intriguing

Top choice for next year:

Midwestern CPG
1. 3 year school
2. location- if I can't sell my house the commute is super easy
3. People there say faculty is extremely helpful
4. I like what they say about themselves on their website

I don't have a top choice this year, but I do prefer certain schools over others. Location no longer is the deciding factor. I don't care where to live as long as I get the education I want.

I don't have a top choice this year, but I do prefer certain schools over others. Location no longer is the deciding factor. I don't care where to live as long as I get the education I want.

Pretty much the way I feel outside my overall #1 choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
#1: USC
Reasons: prestige, location (~40 minute drive w/out traffic), go trojans!

#2: WesternU
Reasons: location (~30 minute w/out traffic), block system, have friends in the program

Top out-of-state school: University of Washington
Reasons: prestige, location (used to live there and am familiar with the Seattle area very well), save $$$ on rent because I can stay at my relative's, have relatives and parents who are alumni

My top choice is UF because...

1. Great School
2. In state tuition
3. Family and friends close (enough) by
4. Go Gators =)

After that its prob. UNC, Mercer, and Nova in no particular order.

Fall '08 app: USN-3 year, no LOR, no PCAT, so I Can apply this year

Fall '09:
1. UCSD-Location, Cost
2. UCSF-same as above
3.USN- 3 yr, kinda close to home
4. Oregon State- Locatoin
5. Uni Of Wa- Location

next year, I don't really have a true #1 though. I think it would be cool to be at any of those schools. I'm in CA, so being out of state would be cool, but so would being close to home.

University of Illinois in Chicago!

Love the city (I'm from the suburbs) and the school has a great reputation. Plus they have a lot of research opportunities which sounds very interesting.

My top choice is UF because...

1. Great School
2. In state tuition
3. Family and friends close (enough) by
4. Go Gators =)

After that its prob. UNC, Mercer, and Nova in no particular order.

What made you select Nova over LECOM or PBA? Just curious.

Love the city (I'm from the suburbs) and the school has a great reputation. Plus they have a lot of research opportunities which sounds very interesting.

I'm pretty interested in going there too. Never been to Chicago though.

I am also applying there too, mainly like you said for research opportunities. Plus their admission staff won me over with their kindness.

1. UCSD-- i live here/location, cost, convenience, curriculum

2. UCSF-- #1 school--and 3 choices of programs, cost

3. UOP- accelerated program, interesting curriculum (learn by organ systems)

I am also applying there too, mainly like you said for research opportunities. Plus their admission staff won me over with their kindness.

really? I've heard their administration aren't the friendliest people in the world..

My top choice is Belmont in Nashville.
3 reasons why:
1.Campus Atmosphere: I visited and loved the setup of the program and the university. It is very small and I like that.
2. Location: It is close to home and my parents are only 45 min. away if I need help or anything.
3. Faculty: The faculty has helped me out so far with any questions I have had and they are super nice.

UCSF

- love the location
- great education
- a degree from this school may let me work at ANY pharmacy. not exactly sure how much employers care about this though.

Northeastern University

- the co-op program they have for their students is very interesting/attractive
- love the location... i always wanted to go to a school on the east coast

Well UIC used to be the choice back when i started because of in state tuition and don't need to move from family far. Now, I don't have a top choice.(Less disappointment in the end)

Since I'm having my husband somewhat involved in these decisions, his wish was to stay close to home where our families will be available for support, specially since my income will be hampered for several years. I am only applying to University of Cincinnati. I've worked with several people who have attended there, so I know the ins and outs of the program. Their staff seems to be fairly nice as well. I just fear that I'm limiting myself too much by not allowing myself to apply to UK or Ohio State as well, those are 2 hour drives from my home, but I'd figure it out somehow.

University of Wyoming, mainly because I can live with my relatives there. I like the location as well.

University of Georgia is my top choice. It's closest to home.