Touro-CA MSMHS-COM 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpaceDoctor8

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Making a new thread for the incoming applications for the '20-'21 year.

I am starting the forum for any prospective applicants who may have questions relating to the program in the context of admissions, financial aid, housing, social life, anything. I am sure a lot of the former Master's are around SDN and will be more than happy to chime in and answer all the questions you may have! Good luck on your application!

P.S. Feel free to peruse around last year's thread for some good information as well: Touro-CA MSMHS-COM 2019-2020

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for making this!!

how early should we start looking for housing? I've known people at universities to start looking 5-6 months ahead of time.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you want to live on Mare Island, usually people wait until the official FB group is made for the accepted people, and then they organize living arrangements. if you want to live off of the island in Vallejo, Fairfield, etc. then you can start to look once you are accepted. usually the FB group (has not been created) is a good resource to live with people and coordinate that. if you wanna live alone, feel free to start looking in the next month or two.

Reactions: 1 users
Are students interviewed or are they accepted and declined based on their application alone? I can't find any information on their website about interviews.

Are students interviewed or are they accepted and declined based on their application alone? I can't find any information on their website about interviews.

Yea it can be a bit ambiguous. There is actually no interview component to the process. It is solely based on the application itself. That is why there should be more emphasis placed on the quality of the essays that you write. However, it is a combination of the essays and rest of your app (ECs, grades, etc) that a candidate is assessed on.

Hello everyone! I am a current MSMHS-COM student at Touro, so if you guys have any other questions feel free to ask away!! Hope everyone is staying safe during these tough times!! :(

Reactions: 5 users
Hello! I just wanted to know what are your thoughts on managing course load and how much time you have to do clinical activities? And how many people are in the class this year?

Hello! I was wondering if any of you could help me. After viewing the requirements for the program, I am not sure if it is worth it if I apply to the program. I have went through several hardships throughout my academic career and I have worked hard to have an upward trend upon my transfer to the university. I have a ton of community and volunteer experiences, along with research. I listed my stats below.

Cumulative GPA: 3.12
Science GPA: 2.71

Along with my low science GPA, I also had a rough time while I was taking physics at the university. I did not pass the class, however, I am taking it this upcoming quarter. If I do well this quarter and have my last physics course completed, I am sure I will reach the GPA and prerequisite requirements. By the time I finish these courses, the deadline would have passed. Would the program allow me to have these in-progress grades?
Will I have a chance?

Hello! I was wondering if any of you could help me. After viewing the requirements for the program, I am not sure if it is worth it if I apply to the program. I have went through several hardships throughout my academic career and I have worked hard to have an upward trend upon my transfer to the university. I have a ton of community and volunteer experiences, along with research. I listed my stats below.

Along with my low science GPA, I also had a rough time while I was taking physics at the university. I did not pass the class, however, I am taking it this upcoming quarter. If I do well this quarter and have my last physics course completed, I am sure I will reach the GPA and prerequisite requirements. By the time I finish these courses, the deadline would have passed. Would the program allow me to have these in-progress grades?
Will I have a chance?

Hi,
I'm not in the program but I wanted to share my experience. I applied last year. My stats were just under the cut-off but I had 2 classes pending. I knew I was going to do well in the classes and that they would push me above the GPA cut-off. However, I did not consult anyone in the admission department and decided to apply before the courses ended. Four days after my application was complete (March 2019), I received the following message from Touro:

"Thank you for your recent application to our Master of Science in Medical Health Sciences program here at Touro University California. Unfortunately, after reviewing your application materials, we are unable to consider your application at this time as you have not satisfied one or more of our minimum application requirements. A list of these requirements can be reviewed by visiting our Admissions Requirements web page. If, after reviewing the requirements, you believe we've made an error in our review, please respond to this message and we'll happily take another look.

Again, we thank you for your application and we wish you success with the other programs to which you may have applied.

Office of Admissions

Touro University California"

I ended up getting A's in the courses but I did not follow up with Touro. I'm not sure if they would have held my application until after my grades if I spoke to them prior to submitting my application or reconsidered if I had spoke with them after I finished the courses. I just wanted to share my experience with you. I'm now waiting to apply until 2021 so my girlfriend can finish up her nursing program she just started. Hope this advice helps.

Will I have a chance?

Hi! I think you should definitely talk to the admissions coordinator. My stats were similar to yours and I had to retake biochem due to circumstances. I just got my acceptance 2 hours ago!!!

Hey guys! I got accepted!! First question! I live in Sac, so is commuting feasible or no?

• Love
Hello! I just wanted to know what are your thoughts on managing course load and how much time you have to do clinical activities? And how many people are in the class this year?

Hi, hope you are well and safe! Managing the course load will honestly come with experience! It is indeed a lot heavier, and in my opinion, the spring semester is even heavier than fall. Therefore, I advise you to try your best to quickly find your foot and figure out what works best for you studying wise (if you haven't done so already) at the beginning of fall semester, so you can be ready once spring semester starts!

Also regarding activities, it is difficult to manage time. However, Touro WANTS to see you involved at Touro and in the community of the school.. so you definitely want to get in some experience there once you arrive. For that, I suggest you start early (fall semester), since you will most likely be very busy studying during the spring.

Finally, we start out with 64 people I believe.. we are now down to 56 people in our class.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I think you should definitely talk to the admissions coordinator. My stats were similar to yours and I had to retake biochem due to circumstances. I just got my acceptance 2 hours ago!!!

I would also suggest the same thing, since Touro is strict regarding pre-reqs, deadlines, etc.. be honest and explain the situation clearly.. and see how it goes! Wishing you the best!!

Hey guys! I got accepted!! First question! I live in Sac, so is commuting feasible or no?

Congrats!! I personally lived on Mare Island (2 mins away from school) and I loved the proximity because less time was wasted commuting.. I know some people commuted up to 40 mins or so but in my honest opinion, it might be difficult especially during spring... If I had to do it all over again, I would def. still choose to stay near campus! But I do know people who prefer to be at a distance to separate school from personal lives.. so this is more of a personal choice I feel.

Hi, hope you are well and safe! Managing the course load will honestly come with experience! It is indeed a lot heavier, and in my opinion, the spring semester is even heavier than fall. Therefore, I advise you to try your best to quickly find your foot and figure out what works best for you studying wise (if you haven't done so already) at the beginning of fall semester, so you can be ready once spring semester starts!

Also regarding activities, it is difficult to manage time. However, Touro WANTS to see you involved at Touro and in the community of the school.. so you definitely want to get in some experience there once you arrive. For that, I suggest you start early (fall semester), since you will most likely be very busy studying during the spring.

Finally, we start out with 64 people I believe.. we are now down to 56 people in our class.
What kind of involvement are we talking about here? Is it like student clubs and activities?

Congrats!! I personally lived on Mare Island (2 mins away from school) and I loved the proximity because less time was wasted commuting.. I know some people commuted up to 40 mins or so but in my honest opinion, it might be difficult especially during spring... If I had to do it all over again, I would def. still choose to stay near campus! But I do know people who prefer to be at a distance to separate school from personal lives.. so this is more of a personal choice I feel.
lol my personal life needs to be study only. I have sacrificed study too many times for my personal life. Therefore i need to prioritize my education. I am definitely the type to get frustrated by commute.
So how do I start finding housing on mare island?

What kind of involvement are we talking about here? Is it like student clubs and activities?

Organizations on campus, community service, & def. osteopathic exposure if you don't have any/enough! There is a lot of involvement on campus so you honestly don't need to worry about that, you just need to make the effort to actually get involved!!

lol my personal life needs to be study only. I have sacrificed study too many times for my personal life. Therefore i need to prioritize my education. I am definitely the type to get frustrated by commute.
So how do I start finding housing on mare island?

If you have enough exposure and involvement then you can take the risk and only focus on studying but from what I heard, admissions DEF. look for that involvement on campus along with the grades so that's something to keep in mind.. Regardless, here everyone in the master's program prioritizes studying for sure.. if you don't, you will QUICKLY fall behind !!

Regarding housing, this is the main site Touro students look at and that's how I also found my housing this year: Housing and Rentals - Touro California Student Life

Also, once the FB page is created you can communicate easier with other students coming into the MSMHS program with you if you are interesting in living with other students!

Hope this helps :)

If you have enough exposure and involvement then you can take the risk and only focus on studying but from what I heard, admissions DEF. look for that involvement on campus along with the grades so that's something to keep in mind.. Regardless, here everyone in the master's program prioritizes studying for sure.. if you don't, you will QUICKLY fall behind !!

Regarding housing, this is the main site Touro students look at and that's how I also found my housing this year: Housing and Rentals - Touro California Student Life

Also, once the FB page is created you can communicate easier with other students coming into the MSMHS program with you if you are interesting in living with other students!

Hope this helps :)
so its pretty much similar to undergrad involvement. Thanks for the site. I need to wait for my account to be activated before browsing.

Do students usually pay for the program through student loans? The tuition page puts total cost at $59000.

so its pretty much similar to undergrad involvement. Thanks for the site. I need to wait for my account to be activated before browsing.

Yes and no. I would say this is def. A LOT less involvement than what I did for undergrad.. I am ensuring to only get involved in something that will make my application stronger.. not something for example that I have already completed over 500 hours in during undergrad years!! For example, I did not have any DO exposure coming into this program so I made sure I did enough of that etc.. so ur making sure to have a more complete application.. don't get involved in like 7 different things and waste your studying time, when you can only get involved with two and make sure they are important for your application/ you get a leadership position in to show the committee that you are committed!

Just to be clear, study time IS INDEED a priority and expect to make it a priority once you start the MSMHS program!!

Ok, sounds good! Best of luck finding suitable housing, there are many to choose from!! :)

Hope this make sense, but let me know if u need clarification on anything at all.

Do students usually pay for the program through student loans? The tuition page puts total cost at $59000.

From what I know yes.. unless you/your parents can afford to pay the amount each semester...

From what I know yes.. unless you/your parents can afford to pay the amount each semester...
Yes thank you for clarifying the involvement. I have done a lot during my undergrad and just need to focus on more D.O. exposure. I guess from my financial aid question i meant to ask if students need the entirety of that amount. for my undergrad i needed tuition, room and board, and some personal which didn't add up to the total depicted on the tuitions page. So I was wondering how to get an estimate of how much loan will I need to take.

Yes thank you for clarifying the involvement. I have done a lot during my undergrad and just need to focus on more D.O. exposure. I guess from my financial aid question i meant to ask if students need the entirety of that amount. for my undergrad i needed tuition, room and board, and some personal which didn't add up to the total depicted on the tuitions page. So I was wondering how to get an estimate of how much loan will I need to take.

Sure, glad to hear :)

Oh got it, I understand your question now! Hmm.. I don't know exact amounts, but I would say they give a big amount which you can probably save some of for housing (since the Bay area has expensive housing in comparison to other places) if you end up housing with others from the program/other Touro students.. I was able to save quite a bit by doing that and living with a couple of other Touro students near campus.

Sure, glad to hear :)

Oh got it, I understand your question now! Hmm.. I don't know exact amounts, but I would say they give a big amount which you can probably save some of for housing (since the Bay area has expensive housing in comparison to other places) if you end up housing with others from the program/other Touro students.. I was able to save quite a bit by doing that and living with a couple of other Touro students near campus.
Thank you! That helps a lot. I guess I'm just a bit anxious to get started. I definitely want a place that is walking distance from campus since I won't have a car. I'm expecting it to be expensive if its available.

Hello! Can I ask when you applied so I have an idea what to expect?
I submitted my application Jan 21, it was verified feb 5 and got my acceptance today Mar 26. I was expecting it early april so i was surprised when i got the email today.

I submitted my application Jan 21, it was verified feb 5 and got my acceptance today Mar 26. I was expecting it early april so i was surprised when i got the email today.
I just submitted mine last weekend so I think it's going to be awhile until I get a reply then. Thanks for the info both of you :)

Thank you! That helps a lot. I guess I'm just a bit anxious to get started. I definitely want a place that is walking distance from campus since I won't have a car. I'm expecting it to be expensive if its available.

Of course, glad to help :) Let me know if you have any more questions! Completely understandable, I remember how nervous I was to get started as well!!! I am confident you will find several options walking distance!! Best of luck to all of you.

yeaaa @creativemind0306 , you are on it!

for everyone who was recently accepted, here is the link to the new FB group: Log into Facebook | Facebook

On this group you will find former and current Master's giving advice about anything and everything. and you will find the link to Touro housing! Congrats to everyone who has gotten accepted, and for those still waiting...don't worry! there is still time!

Reactions: 2 users
yeaaa @creativemind0306 , you are on it!

for everyone who was recently accepted, here is the link to the new FB group: Log into Facebook | Facebook

On this group you will find former and current Master's giving advice about anything and everything. and you will find the link to Touro housing! Congrats to everyone who has gotten accepted, and for those still waiting...don't worry! there is still time!
Intruding from the Nevada Touro page just to ask a quick question! Did school admin make the facebook page or someone from the accepted MHS class?
Thanks!

Intruding from the Nevada Touro page just to ask a quick question! Did school admin make the facebook page or someone from the accepted MHS class?
Thanks!

Howdy! Some former MHS people made the facebook page for currently accepted students. I know at some schools admin may make it, but at TUC we made the page, which is allowed. I think it should be the same for you all over there?

Howdy! Some former MHS people made the facebook page for currently accepted students. I know at some schools admin may make it, but at TUC we made the page, which is allowed. I think it should be the same for you all over there?
Thank you for your response!
By we, you mean the currently accepted students or you as in a former MHS student?
I guess I could message student affairs maybe and ask them to make one

Thank you for your response!
By we, you mean the currently accepted students or you as in a former MHS student?
I guess I could message student affairs maybe and ask them to make one

Oh sorry, we I mean former MHS students now in COM. You can ask them to make one if you wish! Is there no fb group set up by former master's over there?

Oh sorry, we I mean former MHS students now in COM. You can ask them to make one if you wish! Is there no fb group set up by former master's over there?
Oh nice congrats on that transition!
And nope just for the graduating class of 2020

I just found out that I am on the waitlist for the MSMHS program and I was wondering how I can improve my chances of getting in on May 1, when I am allowed to update my application. I'm not sure exactly what was lacking in my application, so I don't know what to update. Also, when is the latest date that I will find out if I am accepted and rejected?

Last edited:
I just found out that I am on the waitlist for the MSMHS program and I was wondering how I can improve my chances of getting in on May 1, when I am allowed to update my application. I'm not sure exactly what was lacking in my application, so I don't know what to update. Also, when is the latest date that I will find out if I am accepted and rejected?
Based on previous posts, I've read it could be up until a couple days/weeks before orientation. Also, if you don't mind, could you let me know when you turned in your application?

You might not be lacking anything but if you applied towards the end of the cycle, they might be at capacity of acceptances they’d give out to someone with your stats and now they’re just accepting applicants with the upper limit of what they want in the program. As far as updates, maybe new semester grades or a new job/research position.. also take what I say with a grain of salt as I’m just guessing

Based on previous posts, I've read it could be up until a couple days/weeks before orientation. Also, if you don't mind, could you let me know when you turned in your application?
I turned it in March 9 which I didn't think was late because it's right in the middle of the application cycle. I was verified like 2 or 3 days later and then got waitlisted today. And this is the only program I applied to so I'm freaking out!!

Also does anyone know how common it is for people to get in off the wait list? And roughly how many people are applying?

Letter of intent, letter of intent, letter of intent!! Why r they still their top choice? What have u been up to lately? Any service, volunteering, any sort of shadowing, any activity u have been involved in the past months? Job? Update them on it! Show them that ur still an active member of society even though ur already applying.. Unfortunately, as people mentioned below, they can let u know pretty late which was a bit stressful for me to find a living situation since they dont have housing.. but the website I mentioned above (housing one) should be more than enough to find a place to live !

I turned it in March 9 which I didn't think was late because it's right in the middle of the application cycle. I was verified like 2 or 3 days later and then got waitlisted today. And this is the only program I applied to so I'm freaking out!!

As I said before, there is still time and hope so dont be discouraged! I can tell u that from experience since I was one of the people who got off the waitlist! :)

However, to ease the stress, is there any other master program that maybe u can apply to in order to have something else just in case? Or r u completely set on only applying here because u wanna go to TUCOM?

Also does anyone know how common it is for people to get in off the wait list? And roughly how many people are applying?

I personally dont know any stats so maybe someone else can chime in on that..

but I can tell u roughly about 60 people or 60 something people are going to be in ur class based on this year and past year's stats..

Hi Everyone! So I'm a graduating senior around 3.1 gpa. I haven't submitted my application yet do you think it's still worth it to apply? Thank you!

Thanks so much for all your info. How safe is it to live on mare island? Do you walk to school? Also, how are the professors and other staff?

Hello, I was wondering to know if this program is only for pre-med? I am pre-dent and don't know which program in which school is the best for me to attend.