Touro-CA MSMHS-COM 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For students in the MSMHS program who take the MCAT after the program and don't apply during the program, when do they typically take the MCAT? I'm wondering because I've heard you should turn in MD apps in the first week of June and DO apps in July and since it'll probably take a month to get scores in 2021, when is the best time to take the MCAT with enough studying time after the program ends?

(I'm on the waitlist but still want to try to make a plan just in case I get in!!)
Another couple questions...is there a better chance of getting into Touro's DO school if you apply during the MSMHS program due to the accept/hold policy? Or is there an equal chance of getting in for those who wait until after?

So if you do the MSMHS program, you're set to finish the core coursework the last week of April 2021 and you get the next/last 3 weeks of the semester for research completion until graduation in late May. Depending on how heavy your research work will be, I'd say you could start lightly studying for it in early May and really step it up after graduation and plan on taking it anytime you see fit. If you're also applying to other DO programs, then obviously take it at the proper time to not potentially jeopardize your chances with other programs because of that 1-month wait. Strictly speaking of the application cycle in general and not just TUCOM, obviously the later you take it, it might delay your application or reduce your chances of an interview and so on.. I have a few classmates who are on the waitlist now and reapplying this cycle as regular applicants - they are planning on taking it in August/September to my knowledge. I personally wouldn't recommend taking it later than September (even though I think September would be pushing it too for other DO programs and pushing it way too far for MD programs). For TUCOM through the MSMHS program specifically, you may be able to take it later because technically your application will be set aside with other MSMHS students applying at the same time as you and you'll get interviewed some time in early Spring semester in 2022. Also, since you're applying AFTER the program, you already know whether your gpa qualified you for the interview. So let's say you met that gpa requirement, you're guaranteed that interview once you also meet the mcat requirement, so for Touro specifically you probably can take the mcat a little later but I urge you to speak to the program directors and don't just take my word on it. But if you're applying to other DO programs at the same time, you want to think about this timeline carefully.

Here's the thing.. There is no official accept/hold policy if by "policy" you mean they have a set percentage of people they offer this to every application cycle (please correct me if I misunderstood your question and I'll clarify)... We started off with 0 accept/holds and they switched a few of our classmates to accept/hold from the waitlist after the waitlist decisions were initially released. Does that mean they'll do it every year? We don't really know and we don't know how this is affecting the MSMHS applicants specifically. We do know that some of last year's students who applied after the program were accepted to start in Fall of 2020 and we don't know if that had any role in less of us getting directly accepted this year.

If you're holding off on applying during the program because you want to retake the MCAT then it is a valid concern and you should do that. The purpose of taking that time is to show them that you improved something on your primary application in those few months after the end of the program. This includes MCAT and your extracurricular/volunteer/shadow department.. so choose wisely if you're applying after the program for sure. It won't hurt you but it also won't "increase" your chances just if you think you're playing it safe by applying later. You'll only increase your chances if you're strengthening that application one way or another for that cycle (like taking the mcat).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So if you do the MSMHS program, you're set to finish the core coursework the last week of April 2021 and you get the next/last 3 weeks of the semester for research completion until graduation in late May. Depending on how heavy your research work will be, I'd say you could start lightly studying for it in early May and really step it up after graduation and plan on taking it anytime you see fit. If you're also applying to other DO programs, then obviously take it at the proper time to not potentially jeopardize your chances with other programs because of that 1-month wait. Strictly speaking of the application cycle in general and not just TUCOM, obviously the later you take it, it might delay your application or reduce your chances of an interview and so on.. I have a few classmates who are on the waitlist now and reapplying this cycle as regular applicants - they are planning on taking it in August/September to my knowledge. I personally wouldn't recommend taking it later than September (even though I think September would be pushing it too for other DO programs and pushing it way too far for MD programs). For TUCOM through the MSMHS program specifically, you may be able to take it later because technically your application will be set aside with other MSMHS students applying at the same time as you and you'll get interviewed some time in early Spring semester in 2022. Also, since you're applying AFTER the program, you already know whether your gpa qualified you for the interview. So let's say you met that gpa requirement, you're guaranteed that interview once you also meet the mcat requirement, so for Touro specifically you probably can take the mcat a little later but I urge you to speak to the program directors and don't just take my word on it. But if you're applying to other DO programs at the same time, you want to think about this timeline carefully.

Here's the thing.. There is no official accept/hold policy if by "policy" you mean they have a set percentage of people they offer this to every application cycle (please correct me if I misunderstood your question and I'll clarify)... We started off with 0 accept/holds and they switched a few of our classmates to accept/hold from the waitlist after the waitlist decisions were initially released. Does that mean they'll do it every year? We don't really know and we don't know how this is affecting the MSMHS applicants specifically. We do know that some of last year's students who applied after the program were accepted to start in Fall of 2020 and we don't know if that had any role in less of us getting directly accepted this year.

If you're holding off on applying during the program because you want to retake the MCAT then it is a valid concern and you should do that. The purpose of taking that time is to show them that you improved something on your primary application in those few months after the end of the program. This includes MCAT and your extracurricular/volunteer/shadow department.. so choose wisely if you're applying after the program for sure. It won't hurt you but it also won't "increase" your chances just if you think you're playing it safe by applying later. You'll only increase your chances if you're strengthening that application one way or another for that cycle (like taking the mcat).

Thank you so much! I was just looking at their website and didn't see anything about the guaranteed interview for the following year; it just mentions applying while in the MSMHS program. Have they specifically discussed that students still have the advantage (over non-MSMHS applicants) when applying after they complete the masters program?

Thank you so much! I was just looking at their website and didn't see anything about the guaranteed interview for the following year; it just mentions applying while in the MSMHS program. Have they specifically discussed that students still have the advantage (over non-MSMHS applicants) when applying after they complete the masters program?

I would suggest you double check with administration but almost half of our classmates opt to apply after graduation because they don't have the proper MCAT score to qualify or they just want to score a lot higher. So we are given that option. So basically, you're given this opportunity get the secondary and qualify for that interview ONCE through the program and you decide when you want to use it. (remember for regular applicants Touro colleges don't even send the secondary if you don't meet their higher mcat threshold for regular applicants - it was 502 a couple years ago).

I think your main advantage applying as MSMHS applicant is you're guaranteed an interview if you meet their requirements and your job will be to impress them during your academic year with your grades, involvement and during the interview. If you had a low undergrad gpa or mcat that would normally not earn you a secondary from Touro, then this is your chance to get that. They interview us in May mostly and they ask us to submit our secondary before the deadline and not too early for the sole purpose of allowing us to make it stand out as much as possible with our grades and things we do at Touro. Students with less than 500 on the mcat got accepted through this program whereas a regular applicant with a 499 would not even get that secondary from any Touro college in the US (personal experience) when they submit their primaries. You'll instead get an email that your credentials don't satisfy the minimum admissions requirements for the program. So this could be your advantage. In this program you're also given the chance to get to know the faculty and if you connect with them and you're excelling in their classes, some might even give you that extra support when you're applying. These are some of the advantages over regular applicants. On the other hand, I recently found out there's also a regular applicant (maybe more than 1) on accept/hold this year (on the TUCOM sdn thread) while there are MSMHS students on the waitlist. I'm giving you both sides and I'll let you be the judge. It really depends on each student and what their stats are and how they are in the program.

@creativemind0306 anything to add? You might know more based on our class stats..

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I would suggest you double check with administration but almost half of our classmates opt to apply after graduation because they don't have the proper MCAT score to qualify or they just want to score a lot higher. So we are given that option. So basically, you're given this opportunity get the secondary and qualify for that interview ONCE through the program and you decide when you want to use it. (remember for regular applicants Touro colleges don't even send the secondary if you don't meet their higher mcat threshold for regular applicants - it was 502 a couple years ago).

I think your main advantage applying as MSMHS applicant is you're guaranteed an interview if you meet their requirements and your job will be to impress them during your academic year with your grades, involvement and during the interview. If you had a low undergrad gpa or mcat that would normally not earn you a secondary from Touro, then this is your chance to get that. They interview us in May mostly and they ask us to submit our secondary before the deadline and not too early for the sole purpose of allowing us to make it stand out as much as possible with our grades and things we do at Touro. Students with less than 500 on the mcat got accepted through this program whereas a regular applicant with a 499 would not even get that secondary from any Touro college in the US (personal experience) when they submit their primaries. You'll instead get an email that your credentials don't satisfy the minimum admissions requirements for the program. So this could be your advantage. In this program you're also given the chance to get to know the faculty and if you connect with them and you're excelling in their classes, some might even give you that extra support when you're applying. These are some of the advantages over regular applicants. On the other hand, I recently found out there's also a regular applicant (maybe more than 1) on accept/hold this year (on the TUCOM sdn thread) while there are MSMHS students on the waitlist. I'm giving you both sides and I'll let you be the judge. It really depends on each student and what their stats are and how they are in the program.

@creativemind0306 anything to add? You might know more based on our class stats..

Yep, very well said @MedLifeIsBeautfl ... On my end I also heard nothing "officially" in regards to whether there is an extra advantage in waiting.. All I heard from previous students etc.. is that if you choose to wait, then you will end up interviewing with regular pool and those who chose to wait this year was mostly due to their inability to achieve the min. MCAT score required to be given a guaranteed interview.

I wanted to also point out that some of us ended up studying for the MCAT during winter break, and retook it in January (so they were still studying at the beginning of the second semester).. that way if they were able to achieve the min. MCAT score, they wouldn't have to wait and instead were able to apply for this cycle! So up to you how you wanna plan out your year.. I do have to warn you that this program is a lot more accelerated than undergraduate courses (as mentioned several times before) so trying to study for the MCAT while taking classes can have a negative effect on your grades if you are not able to keep up with the coursework.. SO BE CAREFUL!! I personally would NOT recommend this approach, but there were several students in our class who did that and ended up applying this cycle...

Congrats to those who were accepted! I can't wait to meet you all! I was wondering if anyone has received any updates or has been registered for classes yet?

Congrats to those who were accepted! I can't wait to meet you all! I was wondering if anyone has received any updates or has been registered for classes yet?
The school signs you up for your classes each semester. If you want to check whether you've been registered for classes, you can go on the TouroOne portal and you might be able to check if you go under registration and select the right term to display classes. I don't think I saw my classes on there until a week or so before school began. From the TouroOne homepage you may also be able to access Canvas at some point where all your class pages will be with all their contents, but once again it probably won't be available until the last week or so before classes begin. I couldn't open Canvas until the last few days before classes began because a lot of professors don't publish or grant access to the class page until they've prepared things for the first couple of weeks of classes.

I definitely encourage you to explore the TouroOne portal and canvas (if available) before classes start! That way you'll be ready to tackle your classes and know where to find things like class content, lectures, extra docs etc. :)

Reactions: 3 users
The school signs you up for your classes each semester. If you want to check whether you've been registered for classes, you can go on the TouroOne portal and you might be able to check if you go under registration and select the right term to display classes. I don't think I saw my classes on there until a week or so before school began. From the TouroOne homepage you may also be able to access Canvas at some point where all your class pages will be with all their contents, but once again it probably won't be available until the last week or so before classes begin. I couldn't open Canvas until the last few days before classes began because a lot of professors don't publish or grant access to the class page until they've prepared things for the first couple of weeks of classes.

I definitely encourage you to explore the TouroOne portal and canvas (if available) before classes start! That way you'll be ready to tackle your classes and know where to find things like class content, lectures, extra docs etc. :)

Thank you so much That’s really helpful to know! I was starting to get worried but it’s reassuring to hear that! I definitely will do!

Hi, congrats to all who have gotten accepted, I too recently got accepted for the upcoming year and I am trying to finalize a decision on a Masters program to attend and I was wondering if anyone had information on the common path of MSMHS graduates.

For example, is it more common to attend/get into a DO program vs a MD program?
Do most people take a year off after graduating or do they matriculate directly in the fall after graduation?

Any other information is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Hi, congrats to all who have gotten accepted, I too recently got accepted for the upcoming year and I am trying to finalize a decision on a Masters program to attend and I was wondering if anyone had information on the common path of MSMHS graduates.

For example, is it more common to attend/get into a DO program vs a MD program?
Do most people take a year off after graduating or do they matriculate directly in the fall after graduation?

Any other information is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

I think from the 2020 class, a little over 20 have gotten accepted so far (maybe 25). about 16 are waitlisted (of them maybe a couple are on accept-hold) and another maybe 13 have taken the year off to improve their application or maybe just did not meet the gpa requirement to get the guaranteed interview.

It's more common to continue with a DO program because you get a ton of exposure to that if you take the opportunities (again, not sure how the social distancing and all the precautions the school may take will affect the availability of such programs). If you go back to previous messages, you'll see also but I'll mention it again that it is NOT a guaranteed admission to their DO program. You're only guaranteed an interview when you meet the minimum. There are some students who had a pretty high GPA are currently still on the waitlist. In the beginning, we got a lot more students like that on the waitlist and they were surprised they ended up on it.

I'm not saying this is the case all the time with every student but some people are too confident and don't apply elsewhere thinking they're getting accepted right away then end up on the waitlist. Don't be that student, apply broadly when you're applying no matter how high your gpa is. You might end up getting in off the waitlist (like some did but others are still on it) but the stress of not getting accepted directly is not worth it. Have a back up wherever you go.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know what the course schedule is?? I know what the classes are from the website but not the days/time. Also, is canvas working for anyone yet?

Does anyone know what the course schedule is?? I know what the classes are from the website but not the days/time. Also, is canvas working for anyone yet?
This is the answer I got a few days ago

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200720-131814_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200720-131814_Chrome.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 131
Members don't see this ad :)
canvas will also show classes around orientation

Does anyone have a “missing immunizations” hold on their registration? If so, how do we turn those in?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200721-210917_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200721-210917_Chrome.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 117

Thank you so much! I was worried that it would block my registration. I am not sure why they haven’t cleared the hold yet in this case

This is the answer I got a few days ago

Actually I had one more question, I’m so sorry to bug you! I noticed it says at the bottom of your attachment that we will have two opportunities to talk/meet people and I was wondering when those are since I was just added to the email list service recently. Thank you again, I really appreciate it

Thank you so much! I was worried that it would block my registration. I am not sure why they haven’t cleared the hold yet in this case
You should email the registrar just in case.

Actually I had one more question, I’m so sorry to bug you! I noticed it says at the bottom of your attachment that we will have two opportunities to talk/meet people and I was wondering when those are since I was just added to the email list service recently. Thank you again, I really appreciate it
I dont think the link for the lunch panel has been sent out yet.

Attachments

• 20200721_222724.jpg
    20200721_222724.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 103
Hi, guys! I’m planning to apply to Touro MHS this cycle and wanted to know what would be the “safe” MCAT score that I wouldn’t have to retake? Above 500+? I’m currently waiting for my score and I need to know if I need to retake it if I get something in low 500s.

thank you for your input!

Hi, guys! I’m planning to apply to Touro MHS this cycle and wanted to know what would be the “safe” MCAT score that I wouldn’t have to retake? Above 500+? I’m currently waiting for my score and I need to know if I need to retake it if I get something in low 500s.

thank you for your input!

People have gotten away with MCAT's above the 490 cutoff and less than 500 but it would be fairly difficult. I would say atleast a 500 and a high GPA in the Master's you should be ok. It's one of these things that there is no definitive cutoff (besides the absolute minimum of 490).

The higher the MCAT the more "buffer" room you have. But they deemphasize the MCAT once you enter the Master's. If you get a very high GPA in the program, they would be willing to overlook a lower MCAT. (Mind you, my MCAT suggestion is a subjective assessment)

People have gotten away with MCAT's above the 490 cutoff and less than 500 but it would be fairly difficult. I would say atleast a 500 and a high GPA in the Master's you should be ok. It's one of these things that there is no definitive cutoff (besides the absolute minimum of 490).

The higher the MCAT the more "buffer" room you have. But they deemphasize the MCAT once you enter the Master's. If you get a very high GPA in the program, they would be willing to overlook a lower MCAT. (Mind you, my MCAT suggestion is a subjective assessment)
This is spot on! If you have a decent mcat (low 500s), you can almost definitely get in with a B+ avg GPA (3.2-3.4) in the program, or so they say!

Reactions: 1 users
This is spot on! If you have a decent mcat (low 500s), you can almost definitely get in with a B+ avg GPA (3.2-3.4) in the program, or so they say!

thank you! I’m getting my MCAT score back on the 13th and hoping it’s 505+

Just received an email Tuesday that I've been put on the waitlist and received an invite today to attend their program info session through zoom. Does anyone know how common it is to get off the waitlist?

Just received an email Tuesday that I've been put on the waitlist and received an invite today to attend their program info session through zoom. Does anyone know how common it is to get off the waitlist?
May I ask when you applied? Also what were your stats

My application was complete 1/7 Cumulative GPA: 3.53
Science GPA: 3.33
Have not taken the MCAT yet
I wonder if you are waitlisted bc they think you have a good shot of being admitted DO instead of doing this program. From my research on this sub, they do pull people off the waitlist up until the last day of orientation so you still have a shot of being admitted! What were your extracurriculars? Also, are you a CA resident?

I wonder if you are waitlisted bc they think you have a good shot of being admitted DO instead of doing this program. From my research on this sub, they do pull people off the waitlist up until the last day of orientation so you still have a shot of being admitted! What were your extracurriculars? Also, are you a CA resident?
I am a North Carolina resident. But I did live in CA for the last 4 years and just moved back to NC recently. As for extracurriculars I have shadowed an osteopathic physician I have about 50 hours of hospital volunteering and over 200 hrs of volunteering in other areas. I am a non traditional student and am lacking in extracurriculars but I felt like I had a decent chance at acceptance into this program.

I am a North Carolina resident. But I did live in CA for the last 4 years and just moved back to NC recently. As for extracurriculars I have shadowed an osteopathic physician I have about 50 hours of hospital volunteering and over 200 hrs of volunteering in other areas. I am a non traditional student and am lacking in extracurriculars but I felt like I had a decent chance at acceptance into this program.
I suggest you attend the program info session through zoom and then send a letter of interest in a few months. I am hoping you get pulled off the waitlist. I am assuming you are towards the top of the waitlist.

Did they end up telling you why you got waitlisted?

Hey guys I just applied to this program and have been complete for a few weeks now.

I am stuck between this program and the nsu KPCOM post bacc.

my gpa is 3.17cgpa 3.01 sgpa mcat 510.

the nsu program has a guaranteed acceptance with a 3.6+ in the program and guaranteed interview with 3.3+.

but I live within 15 minutes of mare island and Touro COM is my top choice. Any insight or suggestions would be appreciated.

Hey guys I just applied to this program and have been complete for a few weeks now.

I am stuck between this program and the nsu KPCOM post bacc.

my gpa is 3.17cgpa 3.01 sgpa mcat 510.

the nsu program has a guaranteed acceptance with a 3.6+ in the program and guaranteed interview with 3.3+.

but I live within 15 minutes of mare island and Touro COM is my top choice. Any insight or suggestions would be appreciated.
Hi hun,

There is new thread for this cycle and you will have a better chance of getting a response here: Touro-CA MSMHS-COM 2021-2022

The nsu sounds like a great choice since you are guaranteed an acceptance, something not offered by Touro-CA MSMHS.

Do you want to stay in California and do a residency in Cali? If so, then Touro-CA is probably the better choice. Touro usually has a high selection for students that live in the Bay Area so there's a high chance you would be accepted to TUCOM.