You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Touro COM - New York (TouroCOM-NY) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014
Started by BB8730
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I got a deferred acceptance offer today for 2014 and an invitation to attend orientation next week and hopefully enroll. Anyone else get this offer? supposedly there is one other person that got it from the 2013 cycle. I had know idea that was an option. This seems very promising. I am thrilled at the very least to have a spot for 2014 at the very least!!! Just got a phone call at noon today.
I got a deferred acceptance offer today for 2014 and an invitation to attend orientation next week and hopefully enroll. Anyone else get this offer? supposedly there is one other person that got it from the 2013 cycle. I had know idea that was an option. This seems very promising. I am thrilled at the very least to have a spot for 2014 at the very least!!! Just got a phone call at noon today.
This makes no sense. They gave you a deferred acceptance for 2014? No interview, nothing yet?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This makes no sense. They gave you a deferred acceptance for 2014? No interview, nothing yet?
He applied last cycle.if you read 😎
He applied last cycle.if you read 😎
No I get that but why would they do something like this?
Can't find secondary prompts, old or new thread? does anyone have the link?
Can't find secondary prompts, old or new thread? does anyone have the link?
They haven't been released yet
Hey are you guys pre-writing your secondaries for this school based off last year or waiting for the invite to come out?
yeah I am. That way when they send this year's prompt I can easily tweak a few things (if need be), and send it back to them within minutes. I doubt this year's prompt will be drastically different than last year's. And this is the last secondary I'm writing for osteopathic schools, and then I gotta wait for my AMCAS app to be verified and start those secondaries 😱
yeah I am. That way when they send this year's prompt I can easily tweak a few things (if need be), and send it back to them within minutes. I doubt this year's prompt will be drastically different than last year's. And this is the last secondary I'm writing for osteopathic schools, and then I gotta wait for my AMCAS app to be verified and start those secondaries 😱
What was last year's prompt?
You can find it on the 2012-2013 Touro COM NY page.
But here:
Please discuss how your background, experience or academic program has prepare you for meedting the TUCOM Mission, Goals or Objectives. Limit your essay to 2 pages. Consider addressing a few areas:
Why Osteopathic Medicine? Why Harlem? Have you been exposed to a diverse environment? How did you contribute? How have your academic background and personal experiences prepared you for medical school? How were you influenced by a shadowing experience?
They want it typed in 12pt font and 1inch margins all around. Idk if they wanted double or single spaced, but I did single. Hope that helps
But here:
Please discuss how your background, experience or academic program has prepare you for meedting the TUCOM Mission, Goals or Objectives. Limit your essay to 2 pages. Consider addressing a few areas:
Why Osteopathic Medicine? Why Harlem? Have you been exposed to a diverse environment? How did you contribute? How have your academic background and personal experiences prepared you for medical school? How were you influenced by a shadowing experience?
They want it typed in 12pt font and 1inch margins all around. Idk if they wanted double or single spaced, but I did single. Hope that helps
Does anyone know when are they going to send out secondaries?? or when they did last year?
Does anyone know when are they going to send out secondaries?? or when they did last year?
Last two years it appears to be at the end of August that secondaries are sent.
yep got this, it's just an errorDid anyone get an email from the Touro Bursar...? I'm very confused why I got this haha, it just says that my electronic billing statement is now available, but they haven't even sent out secondaries.. 😕
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
is touro pass/fail
is touro pass/fail
It's A/B/C/F
Got an email from Touro-NY. Looks like they are going to start processing primary apps!
+1 Let's play, Touro
I just got it too - they sure take their time, don't they? I'm complete at all other schools I've applied to (about 30)
Heavy amount of screening at this school. Not sure if I'll qualify for a secondary now.
Heavy amount of screening at this school. Not sure if I'll qualify for a secondary now.
why are you not sure? At worse, it would just be 25mcat, 3.3 cum/sci gpa.
I have a feeling the MCAT cutoff will be much higher this year.why are you not sure? At worse, it would just be 25mcat, 3.3 cum/sci gpa.
I have a feeling the MCAT cutoff will be much higher this year.
Sending positive vibes your way: May your MCAT score be higher than the cutoff 🙂
Does anyone know their avg Step I score or most recent match list? I know everyone says these things don't matter, but I am still curious.
why is this school taking forever to send out secondaries. ughhh 

Email today with a timeline. Couple weeks for secondaries.why is this school taking forever to send out secondaries. ughhh![]()
Email today with a timeline. Couple weeks for secondaries.
+1, September 9 and on
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
why is this school taking forever to send out secondaries. ughhh![]()
Don't worry about not having a secondary yet - they send them later than other schools. My secondary, interview, and acceptance all happened in less than a month once I received the secondary. It was also the last secondary I received from any school and I applied in June.
Think about crafting a response for why Harlem, why DO, and experience with underserved communities.
Sooooo... did anyone receive a secondary already? They are supposed to go out this week.
You received it? I didn't get it.
No I was responding to "yes they are supposed to go out this week" question. Ive been checking my email constantly. I think this is the last school besides Liberty to send out secondaries for the cycle. This better be some revolutionary prompt.
.
Last edited:
The waiting game is even worse when you're waiting for that acceptance off the damn wait list! Trust me.
Ask me how many times I kept refreshing my mobile email during class today.
Relax guys...I called admissions today and spoke to Shawn and he told me that secondaries go out in alphabetical order starting today. He said "we will click as fast as we can" lol
Good luck to you all.
Relax guys...I called admissions today and spoke to Shawn and he told me that secondaries go out in alphabetical order starting today. He said "we will click as fast as we can" lol
Good luck to you all.
My last name starts with A

I'm wondering if they decided to make it electronic now.
So the secondary gets mailed to you? NOT EMAILED?! 😕
So the secondary gets mailed to you? NOT EMAILED?! 😕
i think it might be emailed to you, but you'll have to mail it back.
the screen is set at 3.0 sgpa, 3.0 cgpa, 24 MCAT with minimum 9 on BS.
how strict is the cutoff? im not sure, but from the feedback others gave in the thread so far, seems as though they may hold it to a very strict cutoff. They do however look at your entire app including personal statement and ECs so it may hold up even if stats are borderline.
also they will be screening all the apps this week going in alphabetical order. So, at the latest, we should know if we meet the requirements for a secondary app by Friday the 13th :O
how strict is the cutoff? im not sure, but from the feedback others gave in the thread so far, seems as though they may hold it to a very strict cutoff. They do however look at your entire app including personal statement and ECs so it may hold up even if stats are borderline.
also they will be screening all the apps this week going in alphabetical order. So, at the latest, we should know if we meet the requirements for a secondary app by Friday the 13th :O
the screen is set at 3.0 sgpa, 3.0 cgpa, 24 MCAT with minimum 9 on BS.
how strict is the cutoff? im not sure, but from the feedback others gave in the thread so far, seems as though they may hold it to a very strict cutoff. They do however look at your entire app including personal statement and ECs so it may hold up even if stats are borderline.
also they will be screening all the apps this week going in alphabetical order. So, at the latest, we should know if we meet the requirements for a secondary app by Friday the 13th :O
how do you know that's how they screen?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think Touro College will take a few more days. Remember, in NYC, there is still the Jewish holiday and Touro, like many colleges, adhere to those holidays. Being in New York, I would not be surprised.
I got a secondary here today, but Im not sure if I want to pay 200$, thats so much! Are my chances really any better or am I setting myself up for a confirmation of application fee followed by a rejection?
Past years have shown that the 200$/even recipeiving a secondary highly suggests an interview invite
Please discuss how your background, experience or academic program has prepared you for meeting the Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine's Mission, Goals, or Objectives. Consider addressing a few areas: Why Osteopathic Medicine? Have you been exposed to a diverse environment? How did you contribute? How have your academic background and personal experiences prepared you for medical school? How were you influenced by a shadowing experience?What's the prompt?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 395
- Views
- 101K
- Replies
- 226
- Views
- 65K
- Replies
- 300
- Views
- 57K
- Replies
- 270
- Views
- 71K
