You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Touro COM - New York (TouroCOM-NY) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014
Started by BB8730
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Please discuss how your background, experience or academic program has prepared you for meeting the Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine's Mission, Goals, or Objectives. Consider addressing a few areas: Why Osteopathic Medicine? Have you been exposed to a diverse environment? How did you contribute? How have your academic background and personal experiences prepared you for medical school? How were you influenced by a shadowing experience?
2pgs double spaced
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Past years have shown that the 200$/even recipeiving a secondary highly suggests an interview invite
Just received mine. I'm really hoping this is true because $200 is a lot 😱
I just got mine. If they really are doing alphabetical order, I'm in the middle of the S's.
how do you know that's how they screen?
I called the admissions office and that's what the guy told me. I guess there is some slack room for the screen. Nonetheless, congrats to those receiving secondaries! If it is indeed alphabetical and they reached last names with S I didn't make the cut with a 12 on BS 🙁
Hope I get one later today or this week. Keeping my fingers crossed 😎
Btw, anyone know if and how heavily they favor in state applicants???
My homegirl's last name is with "Z" and she got a secondary......
Congrats to "homegirl"
i didnt get one 🙁
I called the admissions office and that's what the guy told me. I guess there is some slack room for the screen. Nonetheless, congrats to those receiving secondaries! If it is indeed alphabetical and they reached last names with S I didn't make the cut with a 12 on BS 🙁
Hope I get one later today or this week. Keeping my fingers crossed 😎
Btw, anyone know if and how heavily they favor in state applicants???
Maybe that's the cutoff for the ii or acceptance...
Maybe that's the cutoff for the ii or acceptance...
You could be right. That makes more sense since people are getting secondaries with 8 BS.
But the man from admissions office told me that was the screen for receiving a secondary. I suppose the screen was not gold leaf Rutherford style lol

anyone else not get one?
anyone else not get one?
I just got it... what is up with the $200 secondary fee? If we get a secondary does that mean that we are basically accepted? #medicalschoolapplicationsareburningaholeinmywallet
Lol...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just got it... what is up with the $200 secondary fee? If we get a secondary does that mean that we are basically accepted? #medicalschoolapplicationsareburningaholeinmywallet
Lol...
Lol yo fwd me the touro email. I'm just gonna fill it out and mail it in, like it belongs in my file even tho I didn't get a secondary yet! #underthetabletouroadmission
D
deleted562324
Just got mine - I doubt it's really alphabetical as my last name starts with a C. On the plus side there's no essay or anything, just your standard spaces to explain gaps in education or convictions.
Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!
Look again: they're asking for up to 2 pages (double spaced) for the prompt on the the sixth page.
Just received. Still waiting on a physician letter... I moved cross country and have been out of touch with the docs I used to work with 🙁 Didn't plan with interfolio very well in the past. Derrr.
Also interested in knowing the ratio of secondary to interview. I mean, I made it this far so I'll dish out the $200, but I'd like to know the odds. Haha.
Also interested in knowing the ratio of secondary to interview. I mean, I made it this far so I'll dish out the $200, but I'd like to know the odds. Haha.
Look again: they're asking for up to 2 pages (double spaced) for the prompt on the the sixth page.
Crap you're right!
Wow I am so not in the mood to do that...
also interested in knowing the ratio of secondary to interview. I mean, i made it this far so i'll dish out the $200, but i'd like to know the odds. Haha.
+1
I'd like to know the chances of acceptance after secondary invite too.
You guys think it might be a tad easier with the Middletown campus opening up as well?
You guys think it might be a tad easier with the Middletown campus opening up as well?
I'd like to know the chances of acceptance after secondary invite too.
You guys think it might be a tad easier with the Middletown campus opening up as well?
Last year's thread gives the impression that secondary is "closing in on 100% interview."
Wow really?Last year's thread gives the impression that secondary is "closing in on 100% interview."
Just got the secondary, but my BS is 8.....$200 is a lot, I am keeping my finger acrossed, hopefully I will get an ii.
Just got a secondary invite. 11 on BS/3.6 GPA. I hope it's true what I'm hearing about a high probability of an interview if you receive the secondary.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I actually spoke with an admissions assistant and he said there is a 3.0 cgpa, 3.0 sgpa, and 24 mcat cutoff. But he said if you are hovering close to a 3.0 in the cgpa, they may look at other things such as grade trends, courseload, bio and hard science performance, etc 2 when it comes to receiving a secondary. He said the BS section average (weighted greatly by Touro) was around a 10.5 last year for average matriculants but expects that to drop with the addition of 135 spots at the Middletown campus.
FYI: This was today around noon when I called admissions so it is about as current of info possible.
I actually spoke with an admissions assistant and he said there is a 3.0 cgpa, 3.0 sgpa, and 24 mcat cutoff. But he said if you are hovering close to a 3.0 in the cgpa, they may look at other things such as grade trends, courseload, bio and hard science performance, etc 2 when it comes to receiving a secondary. He said the BS section average (weighted greatly by Touro) was around a 10.5 last year for average matriculants but expects that to drop with the addition of 135 spots at the Middletown campus.
I actually spoke with an admissions assistant and he said there is a 3.0 cgpa, 3.0 sgpa, and 24 mcat cutoff. But he said if you are hovering close to a 3.0 in the cgpa, they may look at other things such as grade trends, courseload, bio and hard science performance, etc 2 when it comes to receiving a secondary. He said the BS section average (weighted greatly by Touro) was around a 10.5 last year for average matriculants but expects that to drop with the addition of 135 spots at the Middletown campus.
Last year's thread gives the impression that secondary is "closing in on 100% interview."
Doesn't sound like that's the case this year. 😳
No offense to anyone from there but as a fellow New Yorker, Middletown, NY isn't the greatest of places to be living at. Totally respect this school's ideals but its hard to justify paying 200 bucks where I would have to live in Middletown or heck even Harlem for 4 years.
True! The essay has to be in Times New Roman 12 font right?You're not the only one. ALOT of people are saying Middletown is not exactly ideal.
You're not the only one. ALOT of people are saying Middletown is not exactly ideal.
think it comes down to the rural vs urban argument too. but of course also consider as with any new school the growing pains that come with a new campus
You're not the only one. ALOT of people are saying Middletown is not exactly ideal.
is Middletown a slum?
Secondary Invite! I already pre-wrote my essay 2 months ago, so I just did a quick review of everything and popped it in the mail.
Does this mean a guaranteed interview (as long as you didn't f-- up the essay)? I put Middletown as my 1st choice because its closer to HK
Does this mean a guaranteed interview (as long as you didn't f-- up the essay)? I put Middletown as my 1st choice because its closer to HK

where I would have to live in Middletown or heck even Harlem for 4 years.
You don't have to live in Harlem if you go to the school... that's just where you commute to.
You obviously can if you want because rent is cheaper there, but that occurs analogously in any city. The same could be said if you work anywhere in NYC... you can live in Harlem if you want because it's cheaper but the entire island of Manhattan is your playground. With that said, I would not pass up applying to the Harlem campus if you have the stats. The new campus will have lower stats because of the location and because it's new, however.
The Harlem campus with continue to have an increase in stats because of the prime NYC location. Many students are committed to being in NYC, for one reason or another, and choose this option above all else - including out of area MD schools. Second, the research and networking possibilities are second-to-none in NYC.
Don't freak out about not having a secondary yet, they move a little slow in September. As others have said, the school is closed for a lot of days because of the Jewish holidays in September. This was the last secondary I received and was the 1st school I applied to. Don't be frightened by the $200 secondary fee, it's worth it IMO. I turned down multiple DO and interviews after receiving an acceptance.
GL
Well four friends who live in NYC tell me and i will say it professionally that Middletown is an underserved community...just like Harlem.
i agree, a nice job on the choice of words.. i would google earth it and take a look around
You're really concerned about a 200$ supplemental? Really…No offense to anyone from there but as a fellow New Yorker, Middletown, NY isn't the greatest of places to be living at. Totally respect this school's ideals but its hard to justify paying 200 bucks where I would have to live in Middletown or heck even Harlem for 4 years.
Last time I checked, it costs about $200,000 to get a degree.
Yes, the NYCOM supplemental is at 80$ but it will probably cost you more money to get out there for the interview anyway. Regardless, its almost irrelevant in the grand scheme of debt up to your eyeballs.
Rather than taking everyone's money (like the majority of other medical schools) they charge a little more by sending out fewer supplementals. I know if I'm not qualified I don't want to waste my money either.
so how exclusive are secondaries this time around? is it a nod towards an interview or just meeting minimums? not debating whether or not to send it in... just want to feel special..

so how exclusive are secondaries this time around? is it a nod towards an interview or just meeting minimums? not debating whether or not to send it in... just want to feel special..![]()
Who cares man, feel special when you get your acceptance. Not when you get a secondary.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is anyone else having problems with the PDF secondary? I can't even fit my last name into the appropriate box.....
Are you guys handwriting your responses? Also, any idea how they screen? Is it really suggestive of an interview?
If I also applied to another Touro school, should I have a touro ID number?
If I also applied to another Touro school, should I have a touro ID number?
Last edited:
according to AACOM, a secondary invite preludes an II. This is not 100% always the case though. As long as you answered the essay properly and followed directions, your chances are high. They do a heavy screening for secondary, so an II is right around the corner for those that passed the screening.
as for the touro ID# i don't it applies to the COM. Because I applied to both Touro CA & NV with II and haven't gotten any ID#.
I hand wrote some of the stuff on the application that was hard to do on my laptop. It didn't say it needed to all be typed (unlike Touro-CA).
as for the touro ID# i don't it applies to the COM. Because I applied to both Touro CA & NV with II and haven't gotten any ID#.
I hand wrote some of the stuff on the application that was hard to do on my laptop. It didn't say it needed to all be typed (unlike Touro-CA).
Got a secondary, so apparently I passed the cutoffs with my 9 in BS.
I wonder if it's worth it to submit a secondary? I really don't care about Harlem, so it's going to be hard addressing "why Harlem" beyond superficial bs like "to help the underserved."
I wonder if it's worth it to submit a secondary? I really don't care about Harlem, so it's going to be hard addressing "why Harlem" beyond superficial bs like "to help the underserved."
Similar threads
- Replies
- 395
- Views
- 101K
- Replies
- 226
- Views
- 65K
- Replies
- 300
- Views
- 57K
- Replies
- 270
- Views
- 71K