Touro in NY is now ready for you!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What classes are you taking??

I'm not that fond of the school. All the upper level science courses seem to be taught by foreign professors that are difficult to understand. I had to drop cell biology becuase of that. But, it's the closest to me. I almost went to UNT. :)

Members don't see this ad.

just to clarify about the match list, i broke down the 2006 match list for tucom-mi

Total students = 112 total
Students entering into allopathic res. = 64
Students entering into osteopathic res. = 48

# students entering specialty (including both allo and osteo res.):
Family Medicine = 29
Internal Medicine = 27
Transitional Rotating Year = 12
Emergency Medicine = 10
Surgery = 7
Pediatrics = 5
Anesthesology = 4
Physical Medicine & Rehab.= 2
Neurology = 2
Plastic Surgery = 1
Psychology = 1
Psychiatry = 1
Pediatric Psychology = 1
Diagnostic Radiology = 1
Orthopedic Surgery = 1
Opthamolgy = 1

As you can see, only about 39% of students entered primary care (primary care being EM, Peds, Family Practice).

Rotation sites are plentiful, and can be found here:
http://www.tu.edu/departments.php?id=75&page=45

and yes, tucom-mi students have are able to rotate at Stanford and U of C schools :)

Psych and internal med are considered primary care also. Being from around that area and researching this sometime ago (i m interested in IM then specialty) the majority of those internal med matches are at locations that would not allow you to continue onto a speciality (like san juaquin hospital that explicitly tells anyone applying there not to apply there if they are considering a speciality, alameda hospital, st. marys hospital, stanislaus health services...etc).

If you look at the list of their clincal centers, only 3 or 4 of them are actually in the Bay Area in the near proximity of the school. The rest are in southern california or are in neighboring states. Thats pretty pathetic.....now I remember why I didnt apply to this school back when I was considering it. If you want a good Ca DO school, Western seems to be a better choice.

Were you a bio major at UNT?

My major was biochemistry. I liked it there b/c the professors were great and accessible. I graduated in 2002 then got a master's in public health.

I think you had the same major as my husband: Interdisciplinary Studies w/concentration in Neuropsych. He was in your same boat not too long ago.

Congrats on your AZCOM interview... I am waitlisted there!

Members don't see this ad :)
My major was biochemistry. I liked it there b/c the professors were great and accessible. I graduated in 2002 then got a master's in public health.

I think you had the same major as my husband: Interdisciplinary Studies w/concentration in Neuropsych. He was in your same boat not too long ago.

Congrats on your AZCOM interview... I am waitlisted there!

Thanks, but if you're waitlisted with a biochem degree and MPH, that worries me. I'm afraid the interviews left may be for waitlist spots. That's just my own fear, no evidence.

Yep, he had the same major. We may have shared the same neuroscience professor- Dr. Gatch. My concentration is spread evenly amongst biology, chemistry, and psychology. So, people do make it through that awful research paper! :laugh: Congrats to him. :)

You received the Touro secondary, didn't you?

Psych and internal med are considered primary care also. Being from around that area and researching this sometime ago (i m interested in IM then specialty) the majority of those internal med matches are at locations that would not allow you to continue onto a speciality (like san juaquin hospital that explicitly tells anyone applying there not to apply there if they are considering a speciality, alameda hospital, st. marys hospital, stanislaus health services...etc).

If you look at the list of their clincal centers, only 3 or 4 of them are actually in the Bay Area in the near proximity of the school. The rest are in southern california or are in neighboring states. Thats pretty pathetic.....now I remember why I didnt apply to this school back when I was considering it. If you want a good Ca DO school, Western seems to be a better choice.

if those hospitals explicitly tell you not to apply there if considering a specialty, then students would know that information before hand and choose to apply there for other reasons. you'd also have to consider that we also do not know if these are the student's first choice in residency/specialty/location. for me, that's what i'm looking for. for example, i know that i only want to do my residency and practice in illinois no matter what. as far as rotations, i agree..they should have more available in the bay area..western has been around for much longer and has had the opportunity to establish itself in multiple respects.

when it's all been said and done, we all will go to our med school for our own reasons, and only we can determine our capabilities as a med student/physician..not our schools. good luck to u :luck:

if those hospitals explicitly tell you not to apply there if considering a specialty, then students would know that information before hand and choose to apply there for other reasons. you'd also have to consider that we also do not know if these are the student's first choice in residency/specialty/location. for me, that's what i'm looking for. for example, i know that i only want to do my residency and practice in illinois no matter what. as far as rotations, i agree..they should have more available in the bay area..western has been around for much longer and has had the opportunity to establish itself in multiple respects.

when it's all been said and done, we all will go to our med school for our own reasons, and only we can determine our capabilities as a med student/physician..not our schools. good luck to u :luck:

Well I brought that point up because internal med without a speciality or no shot at a speciality is basically the samething as FP.