This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

coolthatsme8

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi y'all! I am struggling to decide between these two. Tuition is comparable between the two as well as class size.

Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine in Las Cruces, New Mexico
Pros
  • Closer to home (but still quite a drive as I am a Texas resident)
  • Pass/fail grading system
  • Small town vibes which is what I am looking for
  • Rotations available in El Paso (home state)
  • Pretty good match list from what I have heard/seen!

Cons
  • Lack of support for struggling students (high attrition rate)
  • Limited research opportunities from what I heard
  • Hot - I would like to escape the Texas heat and I am an outdoorsy person so the weather is kind of a con
  • Relatively new with first class in 2016
  • The fact that this school is for-profit does worry me a little but I am not sure if it is something I should really worry about


Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine in Great Falls, Montana
Pros
  • Partnership with McLaughlin Research Institute
  • Small town vibes which I am looking for
  • Outdoor activities which I am a fan of
  • Positive interview experience with faculty and students despite being online

Cons
  • Classes are letter-graded
  • This Touro branch has not matched a class yet, this is a new campus that opened last year
  • Far from home
  • Cold lol, like I said I am from Texas
  • Not too sure of where rotations will be since this is a new school