MA/MS Touro University Worldwide

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Voytkostudios

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been looking for information on Touro University Worldwide and their program in Marriage and Family Therapy. I can't seem to find anything concrete about this program beyond the basics of Touro University being non-profit and accredited. The program seems really great - it meets all the requirements for licensing in my state - and I'm looking at applying for the next session this October.

Here on the forums, there are mentions of other programs at Touro, but the only things I've seen about the MA in MFT is one question similar to this with no responses from about 2014 and one reference to "taking Touro off your list" with an allusion that they were only interested in money.

Does anyone have any direct experience with this place? Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

Run far away from anything that has the name Touro in it and don't look back.

Reactions: 1 user
If people are telling you to run from this school, then it'd be a good idea to pay heed.

If you're still considering Touro, though, then please make extra sure that this program meets licensure requirements for your state. A reputable program would not need to put a disclaimer such as this one on their website:

Touro University Worldwide said:
Enrollment in the MFT programs does not guarantee a degree from Touro University Worldwide or qualification for professional licensure. Students are responsible for meeting all academic and professional requirements for graduation. Further information regarding these academic and professional requirements is outlined in the university catalog. Students enrolled in the MFT counseling licensure program are responsible for knowing the information from TUW. Further, it is the sole responsibility of the student, not the program, to obtain information regarding prerequisites for licensure as outlined by their particular state board of marriage and family therapy.
If you cannot get licensed outright with a degree from this program in your state and need to file for equivalency, then I'd be wary of attending simply because you don't want to gamble thousands of dollars on a chance of being able to practice. Getting a state licensure board to see your degree as equivalent can be an arduous process. Don't go through that unless you absolutely must.

Furthermore, the MFT program is not accredited by COAMFTE. At the graduate level, you are not looking for regional accreditation, even though that is the bare minimum you should expect of a school; instead, you are looking for the program to be accredited by your chosen profession's regulating body.

Hello all,

I've been looking for information on Touro University Worldwide and their program in Marriage and Family Therapy. I can't seem to find anything concrete about this program beyond the basics of Touro University being non-profit and accredited. The program seems really great - it meets all the requirements for licensing in my state - and I'm looking at applying for the next session this October.

Here on the forums, there are mentions of other programs at Touro, but the only things I've seen about the MA in MFT is one question similar to this with no responses from about 2014 and one reference to "taking Touro off your list" with an allusion that they were only interested in money.

Does anyone have any direct experience with this place? Please help!

Have you enrolled in the program yet? I wouldn't listen to all the naysayers on here, but it helps to do your research. If you live in California, like I do, the program is fully qualified for licensure as a MFT and LPCC in California. As far as other states, you'll have to check with your state, which Touro clearly states right up front in its disclaimer. This is why there's a disclaimer, obviously. When I contacted them for more information on graduate pass rates for the licensing exams, they didn't have that information, which was a little disheartening, but this is no surprise given that it's a fully online program. How can they keep track of pass rates for exams of different states? Makes sense to me. However, what I didn't like is that they couldn't furnish a list of practicum sites that they approve of or had experience with in the past. They will only tell you that when you get up to the practicum courses. That was a little strange. Personally, I would like to know what sites they use in the Los Angeles area so I can better prepare way beforehand. But regardless, the best thing to do is contact graduates from the program and see how their experience was. I'm currently doing a full-scale LinkedIn search for graduates to connect with them.