SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

TouroCOM Master's Program

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by chandini786, Apr 25, 2008.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. laserjet550

laserjet550

Feb 28, 2017
    A final few pieces of advice or points of interest:

You should apply to medical school before doing this program or work on your application right after starting. I would personally recommend not even attempting to do this program unless you have attempted to apply through AACOMAS and have been rejected. Why waste a year of your life when you could have gotten into medical school on the first try?

This is not a program for boosting your GPA. There are other programs out there that are cheaper and meant for doing just that and might give you a better chance of eventually getting into medical school.

This program is through Touro College and not TouroCOM. This is not TouroCOM's master's program, despite the title on the thread. Your transcript and diploma will have Touro College on it. We are taught by the same faculty and pretty much take the same classes with some exceptions. But, you will not be a TouroCOM student until you get into the DO program.

If you decide to do this program, do summer anatomy. DO SUMMER ANATOMY. It is the best money you will ever spend for this program. It will give you an edge since anatomy is worth so many credits.Try to get notes from previous students or even 2nd years for all the classes. Try to get caught up on videos during the summer. You will have an edge when the program starts. Try to get a hold of the clickers. Many of the masters students will have old clickers from friends and mentors so they will unfortunately have an edge over you. It is just how the game goes. Go in and meet the professors if you come to campus.

You don't want to aim for a 3.5 the first semester. You want to aim for above a 3.7+ to give you buffer for the second semester when everyone is gunning. The higher the better. A's will be difficult to come by in the spring even if you think you are doing well. Better to do well early when some people are off guard. If you think you might have problems, get working on notes and watching videos during the summer. DO SUMMER ANATOMY.

Finally, Harlem has lower averages than Middletown. Nobody is quite clear on why - possibly all the extracurriculars in the area. I don't care what people on this thread say. If they tell you Harlem has higher averages then ask them if they'd be willing to be graded on Middletown's curve. I would guess most likely not. I'm sure a few more people would get into the program if we used Harlem's averages.

Good luck. I've warned you. Make the right decision for you and have a Plan B and C!

Last edited: May 7, 2017
    DeeOh2017 likes this.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. sshidid

sshidid 5+ Year Member

May 14, 2012
    Hi Laserjet, I thank you for your thoughtful and detailed overview of the MS program. I am interested in knowing if you got in/was there a particular pattern that you saw of the students who were ultimately offered a seat in the COM? Were they kids who went to IVY leagues, had other master's degrees, etc...? What would you do different if you were to do the program again? Thanks, I really appreciate your feedback!

4. Golfusa24

Golfusa24 2+ Year Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Just have been recently accepted to the Middletown Campus and most likely will attend. Can a current Middletown student give advice on how to do well in each of the classes? Any different or new study techniques that you used to retain all of the material?

5. laserjet550

laserjet550

Feb 28, 2017
    I don't think there was a particular pattern but I do believe that they had many qualities in common. One is that the students who do well have historically been good students. Maybe a few have low GPAs due to poor performance the first 2 years of undergrad but got straight As since then. Many of us do have good GPAs. Mine for instance would have made me competitive for an MD school. Many have decent MCATs (26+) but didn't apply early, etc. They could have gotten into medical school if they did. Then there are a handful of people who probably could have gotten into Harvard medical school and for some reason they are in this program. You need to be the type of person who can retain a LOT of information in a short amount of time. Like someone said earlier, if you can't handle 20+ credits of coursework while doing well in it, then this program isn't for you. You would be better off re-taking the MCAT if that is a problem. Its also going to depend on your class' performance. There was one year that the averages were so high that even students who studied day and night couldn't do as well and didn't end up getting in. If you end up having a smaller class this year for whatever reason, less people are probably going to get in.

sshidid likes this.
  6. laserjet550

laserjet550

Feb 28, 2017
    If I had to do it over again I probably wouldn't. BUT many of my colleagues who didn't take summer anatomy said that they would if they had to do it over again.

7. justcallmeK

justcallmeK 2+ Year Member

Dec 11, 2014
    Just got accepted too. DM?

cjp1205 likes this.
  8. cjp1205

cjp1205

May 11, 2017
    Also got accepted!! Was a long time reader of this forum! Just graduated from the University of Florida. Can anyone send me information on the Facebook group?

9. Samantha123

Samantha123

May 4, 2017
    Hello! I got into the Middletown campus. Anyone know where I can find roommates?

10. scrub.in

scrub.in

May 16, 2017
    Hello incoming class!

First and foremost, read up on all the advice on this thread. There's a few Masters students that took the liberty to type up some great advice on what to do, what not to do, so take the time to read through all of it. I'm an MS as well, just graduated from the Middletown campus and have a few pointers to give you all.

This upcoming year for the masters class, as we were told by admissions admin, there will be a cap on how many students are allowed into the DO program at the end of the year. For previous years, the requirement was a 3.5 gpa and passing the comprehensive exam. This upcoming year, you will be required to have the 3.5 and pass the comprehensive AND be one of the top 35 (previous post said it was 35, but I'm not entirely sure on the number so correct me if I'm wrong) students in your class. Our class, and the one before was competitive with just trying to obtain a 3.5, yours will be that much more competitive as you are trying to not only get the 3.5 but also be top 35 in your class. So aim for well above a 3.5 going into the program.

A previous post mentions taking summer anatomy. DO IT. I completely agree. Especially if it is not your best subject or you have not studied it in some time. Take the class over the summer, you will be better prepared for the upcoming year. Once the year starts, it's all about figuring out your best study method, which class is your best and which is your worst, how to manage your time, etc. Taking summer anatomy will help you figure this out before the year even begins. We have been told not to depend on anatomy to save our gpas, and although this is true, anatomy is still the daddy of the classes. Know that coming in. It is worth 10 credits over the course of two semesters, and will affect your gpa greatly in the first semester, depending on how you do. If you come in knowing how to work with anatomy before it even starts, you have a better chance at the rest of your classes. Maybe biochem or histology aren't your thing, you can give those classes a bit more TLC over the semester, knowing that you are strong in anatomy.

That being said, every class is important and determines where your gpa stands. Don't neglect ANY of them. But do focus on which ones will give you the best outcome (anatomy is 10 credits overall, immuno/micro is 6 credits for the second semester, histology is 5 for the first semester). Try to pick your battles. Figure out your study method (your own, not anyone else's) AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE. Start over the summer if you can, take summer anatomy, or ask previous students for lectures, clicker questions, books. Anything you can do to get ahead, DO IT. It will make a difficult year a little less difficult.

The grading for us, and for you if no changes ensue, is based on a B+ curve. You're going to either love it, hate it, or both at the same time. Every grade you get will be based on your class average, and every average will be different per exam. The most general advice I can give on this is to stay above average. If you miss it or fall into it, don't worry. It will happen. But always aim for well above average. You will be allowed to review your incorrect answers after the exam, a nice little heart attack every time before you open the review page, and from that you will know your own raw grade. They usually give back a few points per exam, in some cases many points (17 for our first neuroanatomy exam) and if you happen to get any or all points back, the better your grade. You'll get an email of what the class average and standard deviation is within a week of taking the exam. Don't get caught up in the averages, even though they determine your grade. Do your very best on every exam, and then every following exam, do better. A previous post mentioned coming out of the first semester strong, this is incredibly important. The second semester will be all the more competitive and difficult. Averages will get higher, especially in anatomy, and if you struggled the first semester, you'll be carrying that gpa up a mountain as you try to get to the second one. Go into it PREPARED, and make your first semester a great one in terms of gpa. Everyone will be ready to go the second semester, and you'll be doing yourself a favor if you were already warmed up over this summer and running the entire first semester. Make that second semester a nice stroll in the park!

Whatever your reasons for deciding to enroll in this program, you are in. Whether you are trying to boost your gpa or avoid retaking the MCAT, you're in. So make the best of it. Do not take any of our advice lightly, read through the whole thread and understand that we were students at Touro, whether we got into the program or decided to go a different route, we've all been there. And on that note, feel free to contact any previous students with questions, the more you ask and research, the more you will know and be prepared.

Just another huge piece of advice to throw in: APPLY VIA THE AACOMAS. You can choose to apply to other schools in addition to Touro but at the very least, apply to Touro. Also, please note that in order for your application to be valid, you MUST have an MCAT score of 24 (old) and 498 I believe for the new. If you do not meet this requirement, understand that you will have to retake the MCAT in order for them to consider your application through the AACOMAS. Don't go into the program thinking that you will be fine just doing the program and not applying or reapplying via the AACOMAS. We all know that the application process is long, so save yourself some time, just in case, and apply while you are in the program. If your MCAT is not strong enough, do not wait until the end of the year to retake it. After the first semester, you should know where you stand. If your gpa is well above 3.5 (in the 3.7+) range, you may not have to worry about the outside application route. If it is not, consider starting to prepare for the MCAT for the next semester. You will be given a secondary application after you complete your primary, make sure to finish it and stay on top of the application process, aka go bother admissions and know where you stand.

This program is difficult, but it is very possible. Do your very best going into it and even before the year starts. Figure out your study method and better it with every exam, GO TO CLASS AND GET THOSE CLICKER POINTS (every point you can get counts), get out of the building and get some sunshine (or snow when the storm hits you and traps your car), talk to and get to know your professors and the first and second years, take an L on an exam or two and don't let it bring you down, and make some friends.

The nice thing about Touro is that the books are all free, you're in debt enough already so at least you don't have to worry about that, and the flipped classroom teaching method works well. You will be watching lectures on your own time online and doing clicker questions, reviews, problem sets in class. You'll hear this one too many times, "don't exam chase". Seriously though, you're going to exam chase. Especially when you have seven weeks of back to back exams. So don't worry about that at all, don't go into it the first semester trying to keep up with every single class when you have your very first anatomy exam. Don't. Keep up with the material as best as you can, and focus on every upcoming exam. Again, coming in with a strong anatomy background before the program starts will really help you get a grasp on how to study and give you more room to focus on other classes.

Apologies for the longggggggggg post, but I really hope it helps and adds to what previous students already wrote up for you guys. Congrats on your acceptance and get ready for a year of experiences. Read up on the program details on here and ask previous students for advice, you will be much more prepared for what's to come.

Goodluck and kill it!

11. Robsrowe

Robsrowe

Dec 1, 2016
    Hey Everyone Ive also been recently accepted into the program in Middletown. If someone could give me information on the Facebook group/ roommate situations let me know!

12. Samantha123

Samantha123

May 4, 2017
    Hey there! I have also been accepted! I was looking for the fb group too, but i couldn't find it.

13. scrub.in

scrub.in

May 16, 2017
    A previous Masters student created a group for you guys, just look up TouoCOM Middletown Masters Class of 2018 :)

14. license43

license43

Jan 12, 2016
    How many students are there in the MS program at Touro College ..???

15. sshidid

sshidid 5+ Year Member

May 14, 2012
    Anyone get the constant emails about doing the Summer Anatomy program? I'm a little concerned with how many emails I've been getting to do this program lol. I mean we'd be taking the same class again in the semester and hopefully, if we enroll in to their DO program, would be taking it yet again as DO students. I'm just wondering if this is overkill?

16. Just interviewed and got accepted to Middletown. However, I know that I have to retake my MCAT. I only scored a 487. How can I retake the exam on top of a rigorous curriculum, and shoot for a seat in the starting 2018 class?

17. license43

license43

Jan 12, 2016
    work your @ss off.

18. Yearningformedschool!

Yearningformedschool!

Mar 11, 2017
    Former MS student here! Listen, and listen to my words very carefully lol. This program is a very rigorous program. In addition to that, you'll be competing against every single individual in your class. I can't stress this enough, but every single exam matters. Heck, every single exam on every single question counts!!!!!!! If you're going to go ahead and start this program, you're going to have to give it your ALL, and I mean it literally! I recall, on our very first physiology lecture video, Dr Fischer told us these very words, "Sell your wife, your bf's, gf's and your kids, you are about to start medical school" and the DO students just need to pass their exams. To put it simply, in order to matriculate into the DO program through the MS program, you need to outcompete your peers, and you will need to outperform the DO students. If you're going to retake the MCAT, retake it before the program, don't go into the program already jeopardizing your gpa!

usmle300 likes this.
  19. Yearningformedschool!

Yearningformedschool!

Mar 11, 2017
    In Middletown, we started with around 78, and by the end of the second semester, we ended up with 68,

20. laserjet550

laserjet550

Feb 28, 2017
    This is their hint that you should take it. One regret of many students is that they didn't take summer anatomy. It is definitely not overkill as you will gain something different each time you take it. Plus, if you do really well in anatomy in the fall, your worries will be less in the spring.

21. laserjet550

laserjet550

Feb 28, 2017
    Yeah definitely don't use up valuable time during the year to study for the mcat! This is only a 9 month program!! If you do not meet the gpa then you can retake the mcat during the summer after the program has been completed. You will have better study skills by then anyway.

murgatroyd likes this.
  22. murgatroyd

murgatroyd

Feb 8, 2017
    A 487 is a 13th percentile MCAT. You need to be honest with yourself and figure out why you scored that low - whether it was simply a lack of content review, test anxiety, etc. IMO it would be a big mistake to attempt to do the MCAT on top of the Masters program. Best case scenario with this program you'll finish in the top 3rd of the class or whatever it takes to automatically matriculate, in that case you don't need to worry about redoing the MCAT. However, as many others have mentioned, there are going to be many students who have much better scores than you taking this program, and simply put you're going to have to outperform them. If you can do it, great! If not, then you'll be in an even worse position than you are now after you graduate - a bad Masters GPA on top of the tuition you'll have forked over.

laserjet550 likes this.
  23. dial1010usa

dial1010usa 2+ Year Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Golden State
    Anyone got into Henderson, NV school for masters?

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  24. laserjet550

laserjet550

Feb 28, 2017
    This is a great post. I think most people come into this program underestimating their competition. So it is vital to evaluate WHY you are doing this program and if you think you have a very good chance of doing well. Another thing that most don't think about is the debt that you will incur as a result.

25. sshidid

sshidid 5+ Year Member

May 14, 2012
    did you do the summer program? i was jw do the grades you get rollover to your fall semester grades?

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  26. laserjet550

laserjet550

Feb 28, 2017
    The summer anatomy course is non-credit at Middletown. You can get credit at Harlem only if you are remediating. I would highly recommend summer anatomy. You are going to meet people who you may even study with during the MS program. At the very least you'll know they are as serious as you.

27. usmle300

usmle300

May 16, 2017
    Former MS student: if you do retake your mcat, use your summer ( now to study for it), and take it early in the semester. You will not have must time once the semester starts to study for it. You will not have an exam the first 3 weeks, so everyone will be studying for the first exam. Expect a high average on that exam ( i got a 94).

28. usmle300

usmle300

May 16, 2017
    Former MS: I didnt not take summer anatomy because I lacked the funds to pay for it. However, I still got an A in anatomy; not a A-, but an A.

There are two types of individuals that take summer anatomy. Individuals that say that it was really good and those that say it was a waste of money.

At the end of the day, if can take it and struggle throughout the year with anatomy or you can not take it and still struggle with anatomy throughout the year.

You will not retain everything you learn this summer but you will retain something that might be an answer to an exam question

29. usmle300

usmle300

May 16, 2017
    Former MS here:

Don't come into this program thinking you can do stuff besides focus on studying this program. If you do, then the person that is completely focus on studying for this program will take your seat in the upcoming entering DO class.

Every point matters ( every question): 95[3 Qs wrong] was a B+; 100[ 0 Qs wrong] was an A-. Yes these two examples of exam scores some of the few examples of outliers of exam curving that were extreme, but it does happen.

30. usmle300

usmle300

May 16, 2017
    Former MS: PM if you have more questions

31. laserjet550

laserjet550

Feb 28, 2017
    Just to be clear usmle300 is right with many points. However, keep in mind that not many people get A's in any of the classes. There are a few A's and A-'s, but lots of B+s and beyond, this is true for high average classes like anatomy and histology. What might have worked for that tail end of the distribution might not work for the majority. If it were me, I would throw in whatever I could to get the 3.5. Summer anatomy at Touro is one of the cheapest classes compared to other institutions that offer it. But you have to look at what you can afford.

usmle300 likes this.
  32. usmle300

usmle300

May 16, 2017
    Completely agree with laserjet550.

Not many people get As in touro. But it is not impossible: second semester I got all As for my classes. First semester I only got 3As as a final grade and the rest were B+s.

It's not impossible to get As in classes. It's honestly about being efficient. I do feel that my background had a lot to do with my ability to perform--I come from a very competitive background--was offered a full ride for undergrad (hence, know your audience.) Several of my peers were from Ivys as well.

When it came to the MS program, I did nothing but study and sleep. I partied occasionally too.

If I could afford summer anatomy back then, I would probably had taken it. But for anyone like me that lacked the funds, not taking summer anatomy will not prevent you from getting an A in anatomy. Just work smart.

laserjet550 likes this.
  33. lostdoc92

lostdoc92 2+ Year Member

Oct 9, 2014
    I'm going to be an OMS-II who did the master's program. You guys can feel free to PM me for any questions on the program.

34. I'm supposed to make a decision at Middletown by tomorrow, but I'm honestly waiting to hear back from a school in my state.

Is it possible to later withdraw my acceptance?

35. usmle300

usmle300

May 16, 2017
    you can accept the seat. My year didn't require a cash deposit. If you end up going to Middletown, you just need to pay the tuition before the first day of class ( first week of August).

I would accept and wait for your other responses. If you get into something else, then don't go to middletown.

MAKE SURE TO CALL and check if there is a cash deposit for middletown this year tho

gibranmd2 likes this.
  36. dial1010usa

dial1010usa 2+ Year Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Golden State
    I noticed most of this thread is about Middletown and Harlem Masters even though the title says TouroCom Masters which means CA and NV as well. Any current or past student from TUN?

37. I'm curious about acceptance to Middletown COM and MCAT. My MCAT is a very low 487, but it doesn't seem like it's a requirement to be accepted to the medical school (only the GPA and comprehensive exam matter). Do students need a better MCAT to be accepted Middletown COM?

38. usmle300

usmle300

May 16, 2017
    Are you referring to the DO program or the MS program at Middletown?

39. In the acceptance packet for Middletown MS, it says that acceptance to the DO program is contingent on being top 35 in the class, a GPA of 3.5, and passing the comprehensive exam. Does that mean the MCAT is not regarded for admission to the DO program?

40. murgatroyd

murgatroyd

Feb 8, 2017
    Once you're in the Masters program, everything except your Masters GPA is irrelevant. So you don't have to worry about MCAT, volunteering, etc. However, as has been posted by myself and several others in this thread, getting the automatic acceptance is easier said than done. So you should have a very good reason why your MCAT is so low, because if you do poorly in the Masters (which a neutral observer would probably predict based on your MCAT, no offense intended), then your chances at Touro or anywhere else in the US are probably finished.

41. Have any students taken an MCAT course during the program?

42. murgatroyd

murgatroyd

Feb 8, 2017
    To be honest I have no idea, but I would strongly suggest NOT to do anything related to the MCAT during the program. If you're in the program then you should be all in and focus ALL of your efforts toward it (because that's what everyone else is going to be doing and you have to remember they are your competition!).

43. usmle300

usmle300

May 16, 2017
    If you are accepted into the MS program that makes that your MCAT is good enough. So, once accepted into the MS program just focus on GPA.

gibranmd2 likes this.
  44. usmle300

usmle300

May 16, 2017
    YEAH! and none of them got the 3.5 GPA.

If you are going to study use the next 6 weeks before class starts to study. 3 practice exams a week and take the MCAT now.

45. travlovhenmed

travlovhenmed

Mar 30, 2017
    I'm starting Touro middletown MS program in July and am extremely nervous about it. What program did you end up choosing??

46. PetuniaDursley

PetuniaDursley

Apr 3, 2016
    I was also super nervous about Touro but I ended up getting into medical school this round so I turned down my seat. But I think I would have chosen middletown since there would be less distractions and more time to study.

47. sshidid

sshidid 5+ Year Member

May 14, 2012
    Did anyone hear anything about Orientation week? I was told it would be next week, but have no idea what days and times I will be there.

48. Springmed1

Springmed1 2+ Year Member

Nov 17, 2012
    CA
    Anyone applied while taking a pre-req class?!
    The deadline is on April 1...
    I am taking physics 2 spring 2018 and same time applying for this MS program., I finish physics 2 on May. So I was wondering if it's a good idea to apply or not.

49. TimeTraveller

TimeTraveller

Aug 24, 2016
    Check your email. Also they posted the schedule on the facebook page

50. nelson123

nelson123

Aug 28, 2017
    Is it worth applying to the MS program with a sub 3.0/do they automatically reject anyone with below a 3.0? Appreciate the help in advance!

51. usmle300

usmle300

May 16, 2017
    I know they screen for GPA but i forgot the cut-off. You can call them and ask them for the cut-off and if they would consider you as an applicant