TouroCOM Master's Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the heads up. I sent in my response to the email that the acceptance came in but I still haven't gotten a follow up one with an id number. Clouds22 who from admissions sent that one to you?

& Lilyflower207 --

I think last week they were out for Jewish holiday.
I haven't gotten any response either but I have some financial aid forms & immunization forms we need -- the people in the facebook group sent them to me.
If you guys send me your emails I can fwd them to you

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the heads up. I sent in my response to the email that the acceptance came in but I still haven't gotten a follow up one with an id number. Clouds22 who from admissions sent that one to you?

Obed sent me the follow up email.

& Lilyflower207 --

I think last week they were out for Jewish holiday.
I haven't gotten any response either but I have some financial aid forms & immunization forms we need -- the people in the facebook group sent them to me.
If you guys send me your emails I can fwd them to you

Hey! Can you please add me to the FB group. My name is Brittany DeNaro. You can FB me the links or I can just get them on the link.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! Can you please add me to the FB group. My name is Brittany DeNaro. You can FB me the links or I can just get them on the link.

Ditto !!! If anyone could add me to the FB group that would be great !! I can send my name through a PM ... Thanks !

:eek: I think I'm having some sort of anxiety attack.

Why oh why have you forsaken me Touro!! Anyone else still waiting for news?

:eek: I think I'm having some sort of anxiety attack.

Why oh why have you forsaken me Touro!! Anyone else still waiting for news?

my friend is ! I know its really slow over there b/c they have a new director ... my friend was told she will probably hear back next week

What are the stipulations of this program to enter the DO school after completing the program? You have to maintain a 3.0 and pass a comprehensive exam or MCAT? What do they mean pass a comprehensive exam?

Anyone still waiting on hearing if they were accepted to this program also?

What are the stipulations of this program to enter the DO school after completing the program? You have to maintain a 3.0 and pass a comprehensive exam or MCAT? What do they mean pass a comprehensive exam?

To be automatically matriculated into the DO class you must maintain a B average and pass a cumulative comprehensive exam at the end of the year. They have a very high success rate. More than half of the students are matriculated in. :)

So what happens to the other half of hardworking students...they end up with a Master's degree and no med school ??

I don't think 60-70% acceptance rate sounds too good, but I don't know the actual stats and attrition rate.

Also a B average meaning 3.0 and no C's are acceptable?

I think this program is great but the website's rules for conditional acceptance to TOURO COM NY are really vague...

What do they mean by comprehensive final exam? I know LECOM and other schools require MCAT of 23 and successful interview...I wonder why Touro is waiving the MCAT because if people got 20 or low 20's, then aren't they going to have to work their butts off to pass the vague comprehensive final?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So what happens to the other half of hardworking students...they end up with a Master's degree and no med school ??

I don't think 60-70% acceptance rate sounds too good, but I don't know the actual stats and attrition rate.

Also a B average meaning 3.0 and no C's are acceptable?

I think this program is great but the website's rules for conditional acceptance to TOURO COM NY are really vague...

What do they mean by comprehensive final exam? I know LECOM and other schools require MCAT of 23 and successful interview...I wonder why Touro is waiving the MCAT because if people got 20 or low 20's, then aren't they going to have to work their butts off to pass the vague comprehensive final?

The classes are the same as the first year DO students, so it is a very good indicator if you can handle the medical school course load ... if you cannot maintain the average it is assumed you would not do well in the medical school.
And if the acceptance rate was 90-100%, the program is obviously not hard enough lol. But from what I've heard a good majority do go to the DO program.
Its basically a final exam that covers all the material in the masters program. I don't think the MCAT is comparable to a comprehensive exam ... it's a different kind of test...

so when does the application become available and how many applicants get chosen and get rejected...I've found out they do phone interviews and it seems to me they accept many people that even apply last minute like May??

Also, how hard is it get a 3.0 GPA and that final exam this is scary? What happens if you get 3.5 throughout the year and then bomb that final?

The classes are the same as the first year DO students, so it is a very good indicator if you can handle the medical school course load ... if you cannot maintain the average it is assumed you would not do well in the medical school.
And if the acceptance rate was 90-100%, the program is obviously not hard enough lol. But from what I've heard a good majority do go to the DO program.
Its basically a final exam that covers all the material in the masters program. I don't think the MCAT is comparable to a comprehensive exam ... it's a different kind of test...

I couldn't agree more with you!! :O) Can't wait to meet everyone on August 1st! I think TOURO has a great set up. This year, having the masters students side by side with the DO students (taking the same tests and being graded the same way) will provide indisputable evidence of how well a student will do. The MCAT is absolutely no indication of how well someone will do in medical school.

I agree the MCAT needs to be changed to better reflect a student's academic success in terms of medical school...knowing how to solve kinematics or orgo reactions doesn't do that.

so when does the application become available and how many applicants get chosen and get rejected...I've found out they do phone interviews and it seems to me they accept many people that even apply last minute like May??

Also, how hard is it get a 3.0 GPA and that final exam this is scary? What happens if you get 3.5 throughout the year and then bomb that final?

I don't know about the stats, I'd contact Touro about that -- I know they were due June 15th for this year ... and I think it's just coincidence that a lot of people got accepted towards the end (because that's probably when most applied) but this is just an assumption

The students/faculty I talked to said its a very challenging program, so you definitely have to work hard for your grades!

Is it a B average or a B+ average that you need to get accepted into the DO program?

yeah the online catalog on their website says B+ meaning 3.3 GPA in medical school courses, which is no easy task but I wish everyone the best because if you want it, then you need to show it and prove you will be successful in that rigorous program

Best of luck to all and I want to hear back one year from now ALL of you are matriculating into the DO program:D

yeah the online catalog on their website says B+ meaning 3.3 GPA in medical school courses, which is no easy task but I wish everyone the best because if you want it, then you need to show it and prove you will be successful in that rigorous program

Best of luck to all and I want to hear back one year from now ALL of you are matriculating into the DO program:D

Thank you. Also, have you been in the program yourself? Do you know how challenging it is?

wow 3.5 is actually very challenging, mostly A's and A- and maybe 1 or 2 B+, but they do allow retakes so that's good and no I'm not in the program but know a few people that were and most successfully matriculated...granted they study every single day despite being in NYC and the distractions will be there...stay focused, study hard everyday, work hard for your dreams and most importantly get an A in every course showing Touro-NY you deserve a seat in their fall 2012 class.

So classes start on Aug. 2nd, when does Fall 2011 semester end?

wow 3.5 is actually very challenging, mostly A's and A- and maybe 1 or 2 B+, but they do allow retakes so that's good and no I'm not in the program but know a few people that were and most successfully matriculated...granted they study every single day despite being in NYC and the distractions will be there...stay focused, study hard everyday, work hard for your dreams and most importantly get an A in every course showing Touro-NY you deserve a seat in their fall 2012 class.

You have to remember, doing an SMP program you need to have at least a 3.0 in order for the program to successfully getting you into a medical program. So if you have to have those great grades anyway its nice that TOURO automatically awards you for it!

is it 3.0 or 3.5? Because one of my friends said it was 3.0 but a few of you just wrote 3.5...you should make sure and sign a contract before starting imho.

is it 3.0 or 3.5? Because one of my friends said it was 3.0 but a few of you just wrote 3.5...you should make sure and sign a contract before starting imho.

I don't know why there is confusion. Those accepted know that it is a 3.5. When you receive your acceptance letter it actually STATES this letter is also your "conditional acceptance" into the DO program. It is a 3.5 GPA and a passing score on the exam.

Here is it word for word from my acceptance letter:
"Students in the Master’s program automatically receive a conditional acceptance into the Doctorate program of Osteopathic Medicine. The conditions include program completion resulting in a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5 and a passing score on a comprehensive exam. "

I hope this clears up all the confusion! :O)

I don't know why there is confusion. Those accepted know that it is a 3.5. When you receive your acceptance letter it actually STATES this letter is also your "conditional acceptance" into the DO program. It is a 3.5 GPA and a passing score on the exam.

Here is it word for word from my acceptance letter:
"Students in the Master’s program automatically receive a conditional acceptance into the Doctorate program of Osteopathic Medicine. The conditions include program completion resulting in a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5 and a passing score on a comprehensive exam. "

I hope this clears up all the confusion! :O)

Does anyone know the grading scale? is a B+ a 3.5? Because I know under my college a 3.5 is getting between an A- and a B+ between classes.

How hard is it to get a 3.5 in these courses?

Well... My app. was rejected. Is it worth calling them to ask why?? Has anyone ever done this?

Well... My app. was rejected. Is it worth calling them to ask why?? Has anyone ever done this?

Sorry to hear this. What a BUMMER!

I'd say its worth it if you care to know what they felt was weakest about your app, and to see what standards admissions were based on.

If you don't mind me asking, how were you notified, and did you find out today?

Good Luck with everything else and don't give up hope. ;)

I absolutely would! They are super helpful! If this is the school you want to go to, I would give them a call.

They are super helpful!

Seriously? If anything, I've thought they've been next to impossible to get a hold of and they neglect to respond to emails in a timely manner, if at all.

Seriously? If anything, I've thought they've been next to impossible to get a hold of and they neglect to respond to emails in a timely manner, if at all.

You just have to know the right way to get a hold of them. If you speak with Mrs. Mercado things get done! You need to show them perseverance. With enough calls they get back to you.

Congratulations to those of you who got accepted! And goodluck for those of you are still waiting for that call/letter!

I am currently looking for housing for this school year. I would very much like to have classmates as my roomates. Please PM if anyones interested. Thanks!

Congratulations to those of you who got accepted! And goodluck for those of you are still waiting for that call/letter!

I am currently looking for housing for this school year. I would very much like to have classmates as my roomates. Please PM if anyones interested. Thanks!

hey, you're in the master's program? if you're looking for a roommate I would join the facebook group, it's probably the best place to find one!

yes they are very busy but it's true you just have to keep calling & emailing -- they are very busy so just keep yourself at the top of their "need to contact" list!

Sorry to hear this. What a BUMMER!
I'd say its worth it if you care to know what they felt was weakest about your app, and to see what standards admissions were based on.
If you don't mind me asking, how were you notified, and did you find out today?
Good Luck with everything else and don't give up hope. ;)
I found out via email.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found out via email.
Stats-wise, my cGPA is 3.5, sGPA 3.35
20 < my MCAT < 24

I know this sounds CRAZY, but maybe they felt you were too strong a candidate for the Masters Program. Based on your stats, I would say that you just need to strengthen your MCAT because with your GPAs you are a shoe-in for Med School.

Or maybe they just ran out of room.... smh.

idk. They should have at least told you.

I know this sounds CRAZY, but maybe they felt you were too strong a candidate for the Masters Program. Based on your stats, I would say that you just need to strengthen your MCAT because with your GPAs you are a shoe-in for Med School.

Or maybe they just ran out of room.... smh.

idk. They should have at least told you.

I agree. When I spoke with Miss Mercado on the phone, she told me that the Masters program is to HELP candidates prepare for medical school, so it might just be that. I think he was overqualified for the program, and would rather give the spot to someone who needs the help, not one that is ready for the DO program.

I found out via email.
Stats-wise, my cGPA is 3.5, sGPA 3.35
20 < my MCAT < 24

My gpa is just a little lower than yours but i got in... I think theres just too many ppl applyin for this year

Would it be stupid to apply to the DO school in June if the Masters Program rejected your app prior to AACOMAS opening?

What are the successful stats in the those that get into the Masters?

how hard is it to do well in the masters program and maintain the requirements for the direct admission to TouroCOM-NY?

Hello everyone, thanks to the site I found out about the Touro Master's program last week. I called and was told that application will be available in December. I think this program is right up my alley and I am really targeting it. Please anybody else who plans to apply we can help each other out. Also anyone who got in the program advice would be great

Ditto that!!! Anyone who has already been accepted into this program care to share their stats and/or experiences? I would greatly appreciate it...and Jamburke did you apply to TOUROCOM this cycle?

Hello everyone, thanks to the site I found out about the Touro Master's program last week. I called and was told that application will be available in December. I think this program is right up my alley and I am really targeting it. Please anybody else who plans to apply we can help each other out. Also anyone who got in the program advice would be great