TouroCOM Master's Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think 100-150 apply??? Correct me if I'm wrong...

But, they accept 50-70 and out of that they have a 60% acceptance rate according to Touro admin

Members don't see this ad.

Ditto that!!! Anyone who has already been accepted into this program care to share their stats and/or experiences? I would greatly appreciate it...and Jamburke did you apply to TOUROCOM this cycle?

Sorry for taking so long to write back. No I did not apply yet. i am going to apply when the application is available in Decenber. I called and spoke to some lady who told me when it will be acceptable. She seemed real nice. Have you heard anything else about the program?

No, I have not, yet. I called a few months ago, and left a message. Someone called me back 2 days later, but did not leave a message. My work schedule does not give me much time to get in contact with them during office hours. I might just send an email to get some updated stats of matriculation into the program. Do you know of anything? Did you apply to any medical schools this cycle or the previous one?
Sorry for taking so long to write back. No I did not apply yet. i am going to apply when the application is available in Decenber. I called and spoke to some lady who told me when it will be acceptable. She seemed real nice. Have you heard anything else about the program?

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I have not, yet. I called a few months ago, and left a message. Someone called me back 2 days later, but did not leave a message. My work schedule does not give me much time to get in contact with them during office hours. I might just send an email to get some updated stats of matriculation into the program. Do you know of anything? Did you apply to any medical schools this cycle or the previous one?

No, this is my first time applying to anything. The lady from Touro told me that you have to be interviewed first before getting an application. Hey let us stay in contact about the happenings in this program.

Most definitely, dude!

Sooooo, you're saying we have to apply for admission to their medical school through the regular AMCAS application process to get an application?
No, this is my first time applying to anything. The lady from Touro told me that you have to be interviewed first before getting an application. Hey let us stay in contact about the happenings in this program.

Most definitely, dude!

Sooooo, you're saying we have to apply for admission to their medical school through the regular AMCAS application process to get an application?

I think in the past that people would actually email/talk with the people in charge of admissions for the master's program, then they do a phone interview, and then you can get an application.

Mmmm interesting...thanks!!!!

I think in the past that people would actually email/talk with the people in charge of admissions for the master's program, then they do a phone interview, and then you can get an application.

How are the students that started this year doing in the program? Do you like it and is everything going well?

Two of my friends are actually in the program, they both went to the same college as me, just a year older. I haven't talked much to them, but from what they tell me...

it's a lot of work, they are mostly studying and the classes are challenging, but they are fighters..I wish the best for them and will let you know if they matriculate successfully:)

It seems nobody has anything to say about Touro! I really want to get into this program! Does anyone have any new information? Im going to call on Mon to try and get an interview and application.

Hey all!!

I am a current student in the TOUROCOMs masters program! I think it is an excellent program. This year was the first year that they combined the masters and medical students. We are in the exact same classes as they as, we take the same exams, and even study with them! As masters students we will have the exact same teachers next year. The students in my class are doing rather well. I think this program is a great choice if you want to prove to yourself: 1) that you can handle the work load 2) that you really want to go to medical school.

The program is about $20,000 and its set up perfectly for you to clearly see if this if for you. Good luck to all that apply. The program is great idea! I know that next year, I will be exceptionally well because of all the work I have done this year. (side note: a ton of kids are applying to other school (MD) and two from last years class got into MD school.)

I hope this was helpful! Sorry its finals week and I just needed a mental break! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all!!

I am a current student in the TOUROCOMs masters program! I think it is an excellent program. This year was the first year that they combined the masters and medical students. We are in the exact same classes as they as, we take the same exams, and even study with them! As masters students we will have the exact same teachers next year. The students in my class are doing rather well. I think this program is a great choice if you want to prove to yourself: 1) that you can handle the work load 2) that you really want to go to medical school.

The program is about $20,000 and its set up perfectly for you to clearly see if this if for you. Good luck to all that apply. The program is great idea! I know that next year, I will be exceptionally well because of all the work I have done this year. (side note: a ton of kids are applying to other school (MD) and two from last years class got into MD school.)

I hope this was helpful! Sorry its finals week and I just needed a mental break! :)

Very cool! what were the average stats for your class?

Has anyone else been emailed their application for 2013? The cycle was supposed to open Dec 1st, so after talking to someone from Tourocom on the phone and being told that I qualify to apply, I lined up all my LORs and have been working on my personal statement. My professors are asking me if they should mail or hold my letters.
But no application yet. The school also told me to try to have all my application itmes in at the same time so they don't get lost. I'm getting a little anxious, to tell the truth.

edit: whoops

Last edited:
(side note: a ton of kids are applying to other school (MD) and two from last years class got into MD school.)

This has actually been my big question about Touro. I really like they way their MSMHS curriculum is laid out (I'm looking at the California one but I assume they are all similar) and the location is ideal for me since my fiance will be moving to the area this summer, however I have been somewhat afraid that M.D. schools would get the wrong idea or something if they saw that I did my masters at a D.O school (sounds ridiculous, I know). If only two people out of a class size of ~25 got into M.D. schools last year that would be pretty discouraging if they had all applied to both DO&MD, but is there a strong sense among the class that most people in the class plan on strictly going to Touro for med school?

Hey!

Ok! So this year is completely different! In pervious years the master's students and the DO students were in separate classrooms. This year, I (as well as 60 others) are SIDE-BY-SIDE with the medical students. We are taking the exact same classes, exams, and have the same professors. We took anatomy lab side-by-side and trust me, some of the DO students needed our help. The big difference is that the DO students grades are based on a set scale. The school uses the averages from 2 years prior. For example, 2 years ago, the average in Histology was a 65. So this year, a 65=C, a 70=B and an 85=A. BUT for the masters class, we are all competing against each other. (not good I know) SO in my class, if the average on an exam was a 60 , they set the 60 at a B grade. They put the "class average" just slightly lower than what was needed to pass on to next year. B= 3.3 and a 3.5 is required.

We are the first class they are doing this with. There are some issues with it, like any new program but this year, b/c we are the test subjects they plan on accepting 50 out of the 60 of us. They will have real data as soon as my class takes the USMLE/COMLEX. They will create set averages and grades as soon as they can compare my masters classes' scores with passing the standard exams. (Confusing I know but it makes sense!) So far the program is very successful. The master's students last year are kicking ass in the DO class this year! They are the top runners. I can't imagine how well my class is going to do next year, considering we basically took our first year of medical school this year.

As of December, I know of 4 kids that are applying to MD schools. I think 2 already had interview before we had finals. Please post any questions you guys have and I look forward to meeting some of you next year! We are going to be class mates!!! :) I will try to check this more often!!

I've been calling the school for months now trying to get an application since they have to interview you but have had no success!! I can't even talk to anybody other than the operator! I know Lissette is in charge of the program but after many calls and messages I found out she's on maternity leave but somebody is filling in for her. A few calls and weeks later, I'm told another guy was out of town and wants to handle all the applications and was coming in the next day. The next day, I get no answer again!!
This is getting very frustrating! :mad:
Anybody have any luck getting an application?

I am just now learning all about this program and am getting SO excited! I don't know how this program passed on my SMP-radar :) Anyone have any stats about average GPA/MCAT of accepted students to the masters program? Is finding housing really difficult?

I plan on having my application complete by the end of February when my MCAT scores come back *fingers crossed* Is this considered "early" still when it comes to an application? Are interviews required, I've heard some people mention phone interviews?

Hi, I just received an application for Fall 2013 class from Lissette yesterday through email. She told me to fill out the application and to call her for a pre-screening phone call, so I got the application before they screened me so I am not sure if they are doing something different this year, but I guess I will see.:)

How adamant are they about the 2.5 on pre-reqs?

Does anyone know how difficult it is to maintain a 3.5 GPA in the Masters program ... and what is the minimum MCAT you need to get in ? thanks

Hey,

I applied since January but I heard they're not looking at applications yet.

Does anyone know how difficult it is to maintain a 3.5 GPA in the Masters program ... and what is the minimum MCAT you need to get in ? thanks

I don't know about averages or minimums accepted .. but basically it is for people who just missed the cut off for med school, or maybe didn't apply in time.

You will definitely be working hard in this program! The key is time management, and figuring out what study methods work best for you. Do not let work pile up, use your time wisely, study effectively, etc. If you do all those things, you should be able to maintain the 3.5 :)

Hi everyone! For those who have received the application, can you post what questions are asked? Assuming I don't hear back from Lissette right away, I'd like to at least start brainstorming for potential responses...any info would be a great help!

How long after you requested the application did you guys hear back? I emailed for an application several days ago and have yet to hear back from anyone.

I had to call in for my application. I emailed but they never responded. I called the office and lissette gave the pre-screening and a few days later she emailed me the application. Update your resume. she asked me to email it to her before she sent me the application.

Hey,

I applied since January but I heard they're not looking at applications yet.
Me too. I sent my application since January and I have been calling them to find out if they've receive everything; but no one knows. And they said they're not looking at applications yet.

Has anyone applied for the Fall 2012 semester? Just sent an email to request an application

does anyone else have a kinda um experience with contacting admissions? I think I spoke to Lisette but I haven't gotten an app/another response after numerous calls/messages to get an application. I contacted the program director too because I hope they're still giving out apps..thinking of just sending my transcript and rec's now so everything will be timely when i (hopefully) get the app

Lissette's direct number is 6469814602, she responds better to this than email.

Lissette's direct number is 6469814602, she responds better to this than email.

Wow really, Ive called like 20 times over a few months and NEVER spoke to anybody through that number. She ended up just emailing me an application

I was just wondering if you guys minded sharing your stats? i got a 22 mcat and thats why im applying to this program, but i was wondering if thats too low? also, i just spoke to the ms. mercado, and she said they're beginning to review applications right now, and we should find out more information in 2-3 weeks.

I just mailed my application today! I'm so nervous!! I really want to attend this program at this great school!!!:)

It's about time they start reviewing these applications. Sent mine since January, good to finally be getting some answers soon.

Last edited:
I have submitted my app and transcript. will send lor around next week. lets see how it goes

I got a call from Dr. Prancan today for a phone interview but I was at work. He left a voicemail. Planning on calling back tomorrow morning. Can't wait!

Still waiting on my last LOR:mad:, otherwise my application is complete. Does anyone know the turnaround time?

Still waiting on my last LOR:mad:, otherwise my application is complete. Does anyone know the turnaround time?

I called yesterday, I was told that after your application is complete about four weeks.

Congrats on your acceptance!! What was the phone interview like?