TouroCOM Master's Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am also very curious as to how the phone interview was conducted. Is it more of a relaxed tone, or is very professional? I have heard of both scenarios in the past. If anyone else gets accepted or has any knowledge regarding this, please share some of your insight.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello guys, here's some insights on how my process went. My application was complete since the first week of February. I called Lissette basically twice a week to get any updates and ask questions about the program. I also called Dr. Prancan a few times as well and we would end up talking about what the program offers and he would ask me about my interest in the program and why I was seeking admissions into this particular program. I was called for an interview three days ago if i'm not mistaken. The interview was very relaxed. He asked me what I knew about the program, what I was looking to get out of the program. He asked about my pre-requisites. He said he was looking for people who had A's and B's in their pre-requisite courses. Also I took a few upper level courses such as biochemistry, vision science, human physiology, micro bio and more. He said it was great that I got A's and B's in those course as well since the program reflects how well one will do in medical school. He asked why did I want to be a physician? That's about it. My interview was really relaxed and since I spoke to him a few times before that I wasn't nervous at all. I hope this helps. If you have A's and B's mostly and an MCAT score around 20's and some good letter of recommendations, you will be fine. Hope this helped. Feel free to ask questions if you have any.

Good luck

Hey all!!

I am a current student in the TOUROCOMs masters program! I think it is an excellent program. This year was the first year that they combined the masters and medical students. We are in the exact same classes as they as, we take the same exams, and even study with them! As masters students we will have the exact same teachers next year. The students in my class are doing rather well. I think this program is a great choice if you want to prove to yourself: 1) that you can handle the work load 2) that you really want to go to medical school.

The program is about $20,000 and its set up perfectly for you to clearly see if this if for you. Good luck to all that apply. The program is great idea! I know that next year, I will be exceptionally well because of all the work I have done this year. (side note: a ton of kids are applying to other school (MD) and two from last years class got into MD school.)

I hope this was helpful! Sorry its finals week and I just needed a mental break! :)
Hey, I got accepted to the program. I wanted to know if you can give me some information about apartment situation. Is there a roommate forum for the school as well as apartment listings?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys,
I was wondering if anyone has gone thru the masters program at Touro-COM and if so how was their experiences? Do most people who meet the requirements for entrance into the DO program stay or do they apply to other DO/MD programs?

Thanks!!!

In about mid May we will start a private FB group. That is what happen with my master's class this year. I will talk to the first year DO student (who was a previous master's student) and ask how and when to set it up. Once you are accepted, I think you would PM the admin to the group and we would cross check that with admissions. I will post as soon as I hear something.

Hey Guys,
I was wondering if anyone has gone thru the masters program at Touro-COM and if so how was their experiences? Do most people who meet the requirements for entrance into the DO program stay or do they apply to other DO/MD programs?

Thanks!!!

Hello 2013 Applicants!!

Ok! So this is the deal. This is the first year the masters students were taking the EXACT same exams (and classes) as the DO students. The requirement to move forward is a 3.5 GPA and to pass the comprehensive final. This is the 3rd year that Touro has had this program and each year more than 30 students move forward. It is totally do-able. Don't get me wrong, you have to work hard. As long as you put the time and effort in you will be rewarded.

You take 22 credits in the Fall and about 23 in the spring. Anatomy is 8 credits and neuro anatomy is 5, Histology is 5 and physio is 4, ect. However you choose, you need to get A- or A and B+ in most classes so that you can move forward. What you have to remember is that our grades are based on a curve. Unlike the DO students who have a set grading scale. For example: in anatomy, the DO scale is 62 and above is a C. 70 and above is a B and 82 and above is an A. (this is just an example). In the masters class, if the average on all the exams is a 60, they will say that a 60 is a B or B+. It is the same exams, just different curve. They want to take most of us next year. I have 48 kids and they are planning on taking 35-40 of us. They will take all of us if we all pass. The seats are held for us. The master's students have it somewhat easier than the DO students. The curve totally saved us the first semester. This semester, now that we are use to studying and the exam questions, we are almost doing as well as the DO students. Don't be scared. This program can be used for you to prove to yourself that you can do medical school. Think about it, it is half the cost of the first year of medical school. So if you can't do it, then at least you saved the other $20,000.

AS for the MCAT, you don't ever have to look at it again! What TOURO does is they make you take a cumulative final (I am taking mine on April 30th). This, combined with the 3.5 GPA is what determines if you will move forward.

As for my studying, I started out below the average b/c I had to find my study style. I ended the fall semester with a 3.75 GPA and I am doing very well this semester. I study about 6- 8 hours a day. This is not easy. I am basically in my first year of medical school. It is going to best prepare you for next year. (the only class the DO students take that we don't is OMM (osteopathic manipulative medicine). As long as you have the GPA and get a 70 on the cumulative final there is NO application or interview, automatic acceptance.

The location is NYC. Yes, we are in Harlem, but I don't find it bad. We are about 20 blocks from Columbia. I currently commute from Long Island to school. My commute is about 3 hours each day. (1.5 hours each way) Even with the commute I am doing excellent. Trust me, put the time and effort in and you will be rewarded.

I think the cost is fair for a graduate program. I didn't really consider cost b/c I NEEDED to do this in order to get into medical school. Your stats don't have to be great or even good. Tourcom will take you as long as you meet the requirements. There are several students in my class that applied to MD and other DOs schools. Some got accepted and are choosing to do that next year. This program leaves the students with tons of options. I even have a few kids that dropped out of the Caribbean schools in my class. They said that this was a way better choice.

The only CON to the program is that we technically are in a separate room from the DO students. We take the class at the exact same time; they are in a live class room and we are in a room where the lecture is streamed. This should be worked out by next year b/c they are making all of the lectures on line and we will be meeting in small intimate groups to go over main concepts and do practice questions. Next year I think it will be smooth sailing. They are working out the kinks with our class. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I look forward to seeing some of you next year!
Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Hello 2013 Applicants!!

Ok! So this is the deal. This is the first year the masters students were taking the EXACT same exams (and classes) as the DO students. The requirement to move forward is a 3.5 GPA and to pass the comprehensive final. This is the 3rd year that Touro has had this program and each year more than 30 students move forward. It is totally do-able. Don't get me wrong, you have to work hard. As long as you put the time and effort in you will be rewarded.

You take 22 credits in the Fall and about 23 in the spring. Anatomy is 8 credits and neuro anatomy is 5, Histology is 5 and physio is 4, ect. However you choose, you need to get A- or A and B+ in most classes so that you can move forward. What you have to remember is that our grades are based on a curve. Unlike the DO students who have a set grading scale. For example: in anatomy, the DO scale is 62 and above is a C. 70 and above is a B and 82 and above is an A. (this is just an example). In the masters class, if the average on all the exams is a 60, they will say that a 60 is a B or B+. It is the same exams, just different curve. They want to take most of us next year. I have 48 kids and they are planning on taking 35-40 of us. They will take all of us if we all pass. The seats are held for us. The master's students have it somewhat easier than the DO students. The curve totally saved us the first semester. This semester, now that we are use to studying and the exam questions, we are almost doing as well as the DO students. Don't be scared. This program can be used for you to prove to yourself that you can do medical school. Think about it, it is half the cost of the first year of medical school. So if you can't do it, then at least you saved the other $20,000.

AS for the MCAT, you don't ever have to look at it again! What TOURO does is they make you take a cumulative final (I am taking mine on April 30th). This, combined with the 3.5 GPA is what determines if you will move forward.

As for my studying, I started out below the average b/c I had to find my study style. I ended the fall semester with a 3.75 GPA and I am doing very well this semester. I study about 6- 8 hours a day. This is not easy. I am basically in my first year of medical school. It is going to best prepare you for next year. (the only class the DO students take that we don't is OMM (osteopathic manipulative medicine). As long as you have the GPA and get a 70 on the cumulative final there is NO application or interview, automatic acceptance.

The location is NYC. Yes, we are in Harlem, but I don't find it bad. We are about 20 blocks from Columbia. I currently commute from Long Island to school. My commute is about 3 hours each day. (1.5 hours each way) Even with the commute I am doing excellent. Trust me, put the time and effort in and you will be rewarded.

I think the cost is fair for a graduate program. I didn't really consider cost b/c I NEEDED to do this in order to get into medical school. Your stats don't have to be great or even good. Tourcom will take you as long as you meet the requirements. There are several students in my class that applied to MD and other DOs schools. Some got accepted and are choosing to do that next year. This program leaves the students with tons of options. I even have a few kids that dropped out of the Caribbean schools in my class. They said that this was a way better choice.

The only CON to the program is that we technically are in a separate room from the DO students. We take the class at the exact same time; they are in a live class room and we are in a room where the lecture is streamed. This should be worked out by next year b/c they are making all of the lectures on line and we will be meeting in small intimate groups to go over main concepts and do practice questions. Next year I think it will be smooth sailing. They are working out the kinks with our class. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I look forward to seeing some of you next year!
Good luck!
Thanks. This really helped. About financial aid, immunization records and health insurance and all, are they going to email us with further information? I just got my acceptance email last week and wanted to send everything I needed to in early? For refund check do we get it back when school actually starts?

In about mid May we will start a private FB group. That is what happen with my master's class this year. I will talk to the first year DO student (who was a previous master's student) and ask how and when to set it up. Once you are accepted, I think you would PM the admin to the group and we would cross check that with admissions. I will post as soon as I hear something.
Great!

Thanks. This really helped. About financial aid, immunization records and health insurance and all, are they going to email us with further information? I just got my acceptance email last week and wanted to send everything I needed to in early? For refund check do we get it back when school actually starts?

Don't worry about all the health stuff. You should be getting the info soon. When the FB group gets created we will upload all necessary paperwork (for those who didn't receive it) and get the ball rolling then. Like I said, it's a little early and most of us are hard core stressing about the comprehensive coming up. As soon as we hit May 1st and the school starts sending out more master's acceptances, we will create the FB group and get everyone connected and informed.

As for financial aid. That sucked for a ton of kids. This year, we got our disbursement checks almost a week after school started. :( So start saving up now! I hope it goes better next year.

Don't worry about all the health stuff. You should be getting the info soon. When the FB group gets created we will upload all necessary paperwork (for those who didn't receive it) and get the ball rolling then. Like I said, it's a little early and most of us are hard core stressing about the comprehensive coming up. As soon as we hit May 1st and the school starts sending out more master's acceptances, we will create the FB group and get everyone connected and informed.

As for financial aid. That sucked for a ton of kids. This year, we got our disbursement checks almost a week after school started. :( So start saving up now! I hope it goes better next year.
Tanks for all the info. Good luck on the comprehensive.

Has anyone else heard back? I spoke with Lissette last week and it sounded like the Director was out of the office, so I'm not sure if this means there will be a longer response time for interviews...the days are crawling by!

Has anyone else heard back? I spoke with Lissette last week and it sounded like the Director was out of the office, so I'm not sure if this means there will be a longer response time for interviews...the days are crawling by!

i was told that the next 2-3 weeks (from last week) they were going to be busy/on spring break so not to expect to hear til end of april at earliest

Thanks for the info Melomare! Now I won't be on edge for the next week or so...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hows it going everyone I actually was accepted to the Tourocom MS program a few weeks back (last week of march) glad to hear others getting acceptances also... Good luck to the ones who haven't yet :)

Congrats on your acceptance! Could you shed some light on the interview/questions?

Hows it going everyone I actually was accepted to the Tourocom MS program a few weeks back (last week of march) glad to hear others getting acceptances also... Good luck to the ones who haven't yet :)
To anyone who has been accepted would you mind sharing your stats?

Well I think the Interview experience is different for everyone...(depending on what is written in your application) but personally for me it was very laid back. It was a phone interview for about ten to fifteen minutes. Just talked about what classes I had taken beyond the minimum required to apply to medical school. Also what courses the MS program consisted of, and I just stuck in a couple of sentences about the research projects I worked on in undergrad. It went a lot better than I was expecting it to go.

Congrats! Got my acceptance in March too. Have you gotten any emails about further information?

Congrats! Got my acceptance in March too. Have you gotten any emails about further information?

Glad to hear about your acceptance :D I actually called Dr. Prancan late last week to find out about the schedule of classes and when the program starts. Only thing he could tell me is that orientation is most likely going to be July 30th. He basically said enjoy your time now, there are a few weeks until they will send out registration packets and stuff. (Passover Break was last week and Spring Break is this week so I don't think the offices are open) Just make sure to send in your letter of response. Also there is a mini Anatomy course that runs the month of July he recomended I take.

Hey guys I applied around the beginning of February, still havent heard anything back yet
Im getting kind of worried though lol
Anyone else feeling like this =/

Hey guys I applied around the beginning of February, still havent heard anything back yet
Im getting kind of worried though lol
Anyone else feeling like this =/
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really want to attend, and I am beginning to get a little nervous :/

I got a phone call today from Touro, and I was asked about my grades and MCAT. So i was wondering if it was the interview? The Dr. who called introduced himself and didn't say if it was an interview. Thanks

I got a phone call today from Touro, and I was asked about my grades and MCAT. So i was wondering if it was the interview? The Dr. who called introduced himself and didn't say if it was an interview. Thanks
Yes, I received a similar call, where discussed my applications, and my goals for medical school. I was very unclear if that was my interview? I was asked why I choose my major? Were there any discrepancies in academic record that I would like to explain? Did I have any questions about the program? And other than that I was just told information about the program.

Exactly, i was told that in order to transfer to the medical school, one needs a 3.5/4.0 GPA and a pass on the comprehensive exam.

From my experience I think it's the interview. When I received mine, I called Lissette and she told me that If Dr. Prancan is interested in your application and sees potential while reviewing them he would call himself for a small interview. Basically discussing relevant information about your app and about the program.

I received an application in January. Is it too late to apply?

When did you submit your application??

From my experience I think it's the interview. When I received mine, I called Lissette and she told me that If Dr. Prancan is interested in your application and sees potential while reviewing them he would call himself for a small interview. Basically discussing relevant information about your app and about the program.
How long after your interview did it take to hear back?

Should take about a week to hear back thats what Dr. Prancan told me at the end of my phone interview (i heard back two day later...) and yes that was most definitely the interview you guys experienced hope you answered the questions asked to the best of your ability!!!

I received the phone interview this morning !!!:D I hope to get in!!!!!:luck:

Congrats to those who already got accepted! Can you guys post your stats? I've been complete since march 24th and have not heard anything yet. Getting very nervous..

I was complete April 2nd, and still haven't heard back. 3.5 GPA, 25 MCAT. Getting a little nervous too b/c it sounds like others complete around that time have already interviewed. Eek! Thinking I should maybe check in with Lissette again?

I was complete April 2nd, and still haven't heard back. 3.5 GPA, 25 MCAT. Getting a little nervous too b/c it sounds like others complete around that time have already interviewed. Eek! Thinking I should maybe check in with Lissette again?
To me your stats are great. Your MCAT is better than mine and I got in. Some people who were completed before you are still waiting so you shouldn't be worry too much. But you can definitely call Lissette. Better yet you should call Dr. Prancan himself and ask about the status of your app. That's what I did. You should be fine with your stats.
Good luck!

I was submitted my app the first week of march.

Heya, I applied to Touro a while ago as well, and I have a quick question for you guys! Do the admissions committee notify you that they received all your application materials? I've sent all of mine in around mid-March, and I haven't heard from them since...I'm getting pretty nervous like some of you guys :scared:

Heya, I applied to Touro a while ago as well, and I have a quick question for you guys! Do the admissions committee notify you that they received all your application materials? I've sent all of mine in around mid-March, and I haven't heard from them since...I'm getting pretty nervous like some of you guys :scared:

I called to find out if I was complete

I called to find out if I was complete
Okay, makes sense. I tried calling them this week, but I had no luck. I think somebody mentioned that they were on break or something this week, so the office was closed.

In the meantime, I wait I guess...

I'm confused, I tried calling this week too, but had no luck. But if their offices are closed then how did people have their phone interviews this week?

I'm confused, I tried calling this week too, but had no luck. But if their offices are closed then how did people have their phone interviews this week?

Exactly!...Is Dr. Prancan calling people from home or something ? :confused:

During my phone interview, Dr. Prancan told me he would be out of the office till tuesday, and the number that he called me from was not the school number.

Exactly!...Is Dr. Prancan calling people from home or something ? :confused:
Yeah I think he is. When he called me it was like 6:00pm and I know for a fact the offices were closed. Also the number he called wasn't his office number.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Sweetness! Definitely makes me feel better...congrats to those who have been accepted, and good luck to those of us still (anxiously) waiting!

How would you know when you are rejected? do they email you? call you? send a letter? no response?:scared:

Same way they notify students for acceptances I would assume they notify them of not being accepted... and that's through the email address you put on the application.