TOUROCOM NY Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm hearing stats about our class kicking it with a 97% pass rate for the boards! If it's true, then I'd say Dr. Lenihan prepared us pretty damn well! Take that for what it's worth you guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone that sent in their secondaries last week have your checks cashed yet?

I'm hearing stats about our class kicking it with a 97% pass rate for the boards! If it's true, then I'd say Dr. Lenihan prepared us pretty damn well! Take that for what it's worth you guys.

I really like the dude, I really really do, but don't inflate his ego. He already has a signature so full of degrees it looks like a dickens novel.

On a clearly related note: hells yea, 2013 be kickin some ass.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone that sent in their secondaries last week have your checks cashed yet?

Received an email stating my secondary and fee payment was received. Check your spam filter. For some reason, Touro was filtered into spam mail this year.

Are most of you taking the USMLE along with the COMPLEX? I'm glad the pass rates were so high, but do you know how the scores are comparing to other schools?

On a side note, does anyone use the gym by the cafeteria, or will I be the only fool in there?

Are most of you taking the USMLE along with the COMPLEX? I'm glad the pass rates were so high, but do you know how the scores are comparing to other schools?

On a side note, does anyone use the gym by the cafeteria, or will I be the only fool in there?

rapid responses:

1) COMLEX not COMPLEX
2) Schools dont compare scores, only pass rates. It'd be far too complex (see what i did there) to compile average scores.
3) Plenty of people use the gym at all hours of the day and night, you wont be the odd one there.

rapid responses:

1) COMLEX not COMPLEX
2) Schools dont compare scores, only pass rates. It'd be far too complex (see what i did there) to compile average scores.
3) Plenty of people use the gym at all hours of the day and night, you wont be the odd one there.

wow, my bad. My friends and I have been calling it the Complex for years none the wiser...although I suppose a test called the 'complex' would be pretty intimidating. Its still not as bad as remembering the acronym aacomas.

What year are you DocEspana?

Last edited:
wow, my bad. My friends and I have been calling it the Complex for years none the wiser...although I suppose a test called the 'complex' would be pretty intimidating. Its still not as bad as remembering the acronym aacomas.

What year are you DocEspana?

Its a more common mistake than you'd imagine.

3rd year.

I would second the suggestion of contacting Dr. Bahri with any interest in pathology.
She is a board certified pathologist and one of the nicest, most helpful people teaching at TouroCOM.

I would second the suggestion of contacting Dr. Bahri with any interest in pathology.
She is a board certified pathologist and one of the nicest, most helpful people teaching at TouroCOM.

So you can run and tell that, homeboy!

Whether people take both exams or not is personal choice. I would say in my class, 50-80% took both exams. Hard to say since the school doesn't tell you how many people are taking both; you kind of have to go around and ask people.

As for how well you do (compared to other schools)...that also depends more on the person. One student from 2011 got one of the highest scores in the country the year she took it; pretty sure touro (from back then, before all of the positive changes) didn't have much to do with it.

Received an email stating my secondary and fee payment was received. Check your spam filter. For some reason, Touro was filtered into spam mail this year.
good call. mine was in my spam folder too..

Anyone else submit last week and not get an email yet? Is the email just saying that they have received your secondary, or that they have also received your letters?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else submit last week and not get an email yet? Is the email just saying that they have received your secondary, or that they have also received your letters?

This is how it looked...

"Dear Applicant,

Please be advised that we have received your Supplemental Application and fee.
Once your application is deemed ‘complete’ a notification via email with an invitation to join our Faculty and Staff for an interview at the Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine will be sent.
In addition, should your file be ‘incomplete’, a notice requesting all outstanding documents will be furnished. "

Going off last year's thread...most people got their official invites a week or two after getting this "Supplemental Received..." Email

I didn't get it yet either. I don't think it went to my spam folder either. At least I hope not, because I tend to clear my spam folder daily.

I know I'm looking into the future here but I just wanted to judge where I stand.

I'm taking my MCAT next week (1st time) so I won't have my score in until October 11th. My primary is already verified so just waiting for the MCAT. I'll have my secondary and LOR's ready to go and sent right away if I get the secondary prompt.

So hypothetically if I'm complete by late October / November, how soon or late would an interview invite be likely?

Thanks a lot.

Last year I submitted my primary in late November (I was waiting on an mcat score too) and received a secondary within a week. I didn't end up submitting my secondary and LORs until the end of January, but when I did I got an interview invite about 3 weeks later and scheduled the interview for March 1st.

This is how it looked...

"Dear Applicant,

Please be advised that we have received your Supplemental Application and fee.
Once your application is deemed ‘complete’ a notification via email with an invitation to join our Faculty and Staff for an interview at the Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine will be sent.
In addition, should your file be ‘incomplete’, a notice requesting all outstanding documents will be furnished. "

Going off last year's thread...most people got their official invites a week or two after getting this "Supplemental Received..." Email

Same email... Mine went to spam too which was weird bc the secondary went to my regular inbox... Yay for interviews :)

Those that received the complete email, have your checks been cashed yet?

Those that received the complete email, have your checks been cashed yet?

I actually sent in a money order, but I read on last year's thread that some people got their official interview invites and the check still wasn't cashed, odd as it seems.

I actually sent in a money order, but I read on last year's thread that some people got their official interview invites and the check still wasn't cashed, odd as it seems.

Ok, cool. I was just getting scared maybe my secondary didn't get to them since I sent it in when the whole Hurricane Irene business was going on.

Same.. They haven't send me a complete email me. I sent it in right after the Irene left.

I sent mine in 8/24 but haven't gotten an email/my check hasn't been cashed

I wonder when we are going to get our official interview invites :whistle:
Seems like it has been a week since getting the supplemental received email. I guess I'll just go back to last year's thread and see when they started receiving their's.

I wonder when we are going to get our official interview invites :whistle:
Seems like it has been a week since getting the supplemental received email. I guess I'll just go back to last year's thread and see when they started receiving their's.

I was thinking the same thing. I got that email 10 days ago. From last years thread, it seemed like it was about two weeks.

I was thinking the same thing. I got that email 10 days ago. From last years thread, it seemed like it was about two weeks.

Just checked last year's thread. Looks like they were all receiving interview invite emails before this same time last year. So that is not a good gauge. Oh well...waiting it is!

Just checked last year's thread. Looks like they were all receiving interview invite emails before this same time last year. So that is not a good gauge. Oh well...waiting it is!

You're probably right. Though in past years they sent out the secondary apps early too. I'm just speculating here, but I think they may have decided to push their interviews a few weeks back this year b/c they only give you two weeks after the acceptance to pay the $2000 deposit. Many applicants still have pending interviews/decisions at other schools this early in the cycle so it was a little unfair.

Just called to check if they received my supplemental. He said we should hear back by the end of the month and they're going to start doing interviews in October, and they're actually meeting in a couple of minutes to organize it all.

Just called to check if they received my supplemental. He said we should hear back by the end of the month and they're going to start doing interviews in October, and they're actually meeting in a couple of minutes to organize it all.

Great to hear...hopefully sooner rather than later.

You're probably right. Though in past years they sent out the secondary apps early too. I'm just speculating here, but I think they may have decided to push their interviews a few weeks back this year b/c they only give you two weeks after the acceptance to pay the $2000 deposit. Many applicants still have pending interviews/decisions at other schools this early in the cycle so it was a little unfair.

The thing is that this year we have a new DOA. So if it seems unorganized as compared to the past few years, that could be why.

Interviews last year started the first week of October and they will be on T/W from 8a-12p. If they keep everything the same, they will be open file and the interviewers will be familiar with its contents. So as a word of advice, make sure you are too!

Now as far as the deposit, the reason why we do this is because of how many people we interview. Yes, most schools give you months to decide, but with the high rate of turnover that can occur, they want your dedication early. This way, they know from week to week roughly how many acceptances/high/low wait lists/rejects to give out. It sucks, but you just have to deal with it. Honestly the two week decision is a good thing for you also because why would you apply to, and then interview at a school that you wouldn't want to go to anyways?

If you have any questions feel free to PM me, I'm a first year and so I remember what you're going through quite well!

Mailed out the secondary today.

Anybody know the numbers of how many interviewed vs. accepted at this school?

Mailed out the secondary today.

Anybody know the numbers of how many interviewed vs. accepted at this school?

It really depends on when you interview. I can say that as long as you interview before the end of January, unless you really screw up, you will probably be accepted. After that you're really just interviewing for the wait list. Now that we are established, we have been getting more and more applicants every year. I want to say that when I interviewed the DOA said something like they probably give acceptances to about 500 or more people to eventually get to 135. As far as actual numbers of people that gain interview, that I do not know, sorry!

It really depends on when you interview. I can say that as long as you interview before the end of January, unless you really screw up, you will probably be accepted. After that you're really just interviewing for the wait list. Now that we are established, we have been getting more and more applicants every year. I want to say that when I interviewed the DOA said something like they probably give acceptances to about 500 or more people to eventually get to 135. As far as actual numbers of people that gain interview, that I do not know, sorry!

Good enough for me, thanks mate. :thumbup:

How are you liking it there? Any pros/cons you'd be willing to share?

How long does it take for them to send you the secondary (I understand that not everyone receives a secondary)? My AACOMAS was released on 8/25. It's been almost two weeks... Thanks!

How long does it take for them to send you the secondary (I understand that not everyone receives a secondary)? My AACOMAS was released on 8/25. It's been almost two weeks... Thanks!

It could be a while...they review the primary app thoroughly b/c everyone that gets AND completes the secondary gets invited to an interview.

It still exists (sorry. Needed to bump this thread. It was getting too close to the bottom of the list of school threads and we're usually one of the most active ones)

Lol, I could always count on DocE to keep TouroCOM-NY threads alive :)

Let me get this straight, everyone who gets a secondary app gets an interview?
Thats pretty sweet, I got a secondary with 3.1, 2.99 32O

I'm really confused. I got an email from Touro-NY today asking me to fill out a secondary... which is awesome.

Here's the problem: They already sent me a rejection letter via snail mail at least a month and a half ago. Also, the email is not addressed to me, it's addressed to Dear [applicant name]

And then in the "to" section of the email, my email is not listed... a Harvard email is. My email is literally not listed anywhere on the application... which is strange, cause it was sent to me (not sure how).

Nothing in my app has really changed to make them change their minds... I have a new MCAT coming in next week, but that shouldn't make a difference.

I'm really confused :confused: any help?

I'm really confused. I got an email from Touro-NY today asking me to fill out a secondary... which is awesome.

Here's the problem: They already sent me a rejection letter via snail mail at least a month and a half ago. Also, the email is not addressed to me, it's addressed to Dear [applicant name]

And then in the "to" section of the email, my email is not listed... a Harvard email is. My email is literally not listed anywhere on the application... which is strange, cause it was sent to me (not sure how).

Nothing in my app has really changed to make them change their minds... I have a new MCAT coming in next week, but that shouldn't make a difference.

I'm really confused :confused: any help?

I received the same email...They have not rejected me though. For those of you who received a secondary earlier, was your name and email included in the invitation email?

I received the same email...They have not rejected me though. For those of you who received a secondary earlier, was your name and email included in the invitation email?

I received mine a couple/few weeks ago and it was a blank e-mail with the secondary attached to it. The "to" address is my e-mail though.

I received a supplemental invitation today, however my MCAT scores aren't even in yet.

I found that a bit strange and after looking over this thread, I realized the email was also addressed to a Harvard email and BCCed to me. The text in the email is adressed to [applicant name]...

Has this happened before during previous application cycles? I'm not sure what to think...

I received a supplemental invitation today, however my MCAT scores aren't even in yet.

I found that a bit strange and after looking over this thread, I realized the email was also addressed to a Harvard email and BCCed to me. The text in the email is adressed to [applicant name]...

Has this happened before during previous application cycles? I'm not sure what to think...

I wouldn't worry too much about it. When I received the supplemental 3 weeks ago, the "to:" was blank and it was bcc'd to my email.

Anybody know if they set up any interview dates yet? I sent my secondary in a couple weeks ago but still haven't heard anything from them yet...not even a completed email :(

Anybody know if they set up any interview dates yet? I sent my secondary in a couple weeks ago but still haven't heard anything from them yet...not even a completed email :(

I got a "Supplemental & Fee Received" email two weeks ago (which was filtered into my spam). It said I'd receive an interview invite as soon as my file was deemed complete, or I'd receive notice of any missing materials.

Still waiting to hear back from them...

I haven't received any email. I sure hope I didn't clear it from my spam.