TOUROCOM NY Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Woohoo interview invite!!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, I guess they are finally sending them out now. Did you get the invite via email?

Me too! The choice of dates listed- oct 5, 6, 25, 26.

Waiting patiently for my interview invite :whistle:
I wonder if they go in order of secondary received or some kind of preferential order.

Anyone else get the interview invite without a complete email?

I just got my invite too!!! Congrats and good luck to everyone else.

Ironically, I called around 3pm and the lady I spoke with said I was complete.

I just got my invite too!!! Congrats and good luck to everyone else.

Ironically, I called around 3pm and the lady I spoke with said I was complete.

I just called too, and the lady I spoke with (probably the same person that BossDoc spoke with) told me that I was complete too. She said I should be hearing from them sometime this week, probably tomorrow. Come on interview invite email!!!

I received the same email...They have not rejected me though. For those of you who received a secondary earlier, was your name and email included in the invitation email?

I would call them and ask. It'd be a waste of your time and money if it was a fluke

I called today and they have not sent out any interview invites yet. Also, the previous post about interviewing after January for waitlist spots is not true. I interviewed at the end of February last year and the class was still not full, though I would say anything after mid-March is risky.

I received the same email...They have not rejected me though. For those of you who received a secondary earlier, was your name and email included in the invitation email?

My secondary was a blank email with no words whatsoever. In it was an attachment which held all of the information. So, no there was no name per say on the email. There were blanks on the "To" email header. However, my email address was on the "bcc" line.

Really?! Where were you complete? And when is the first day?

I got a personal call from Touro last Tuesday saying that my secondary app was complete but that I had forgot to attach my check (which I had). I did a one day emergency send (I live in DC) so I'm assuming everything was completed by Thursday.

I got an email today about interview dates but it didn't have my name on it...however it was sent to a bunch of people (cc'd)...which is a little weird. I got a second email a couple hours later about hotel options.

I'm hoping this isn't a mix-up! I was really excited to get an invite :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a personal call from Touro last Tuesday saying that my secondary app was complete but that I had forgot to attach my check (which I had). I did a one day emergency send (I live in DC) so I'm assuming everything was completed by Thursday.

I got an email today about interview dates but it didn't have my name on it...however it was sent to a bunch of people (cc'd)...which is a little weird. I got a second email a couple hours later about hotel options.

I'm hoping this isn't a mix-up! I was really excited to get an invite :confused:

I think it's legit. I guess they just have weird way of sending emails/invites. Probably faster than going one by one and making personalized emails addressed to each applicant.

Is TOUROCOM NY partial to in-state residents or do they accept OOS at the same ratio? I remember hearing that one of the NY Osteopathic schools was partial to residents of the state but I couldnt quite remember which one. I believe it was NYCOM and not TOUROCOM. Am I right?

My secondary was a blank email with no words whatsoever. In it was an attachment which held all of the information. So, no there was no name per say on the email. There were blanks on the "To" email header. However, my email address was on the "bcc" line.

same here. Just filled it out and sent it back the next day.

Is TOUROCOM NY partial to in-state residents or do they accept OOS at the same ratio? I remember hearing that one of the NY Osteopathic schools was partial to residents of the state but I couldnt quite remember which one. I believe it was NYCOM and not TOUROCOM. Am I right?

NYCOM is decently NY-centric.

TouroCOM doesn't seem to have any regional bias except that you will see a lot of people from brooklyn (due to the high orthodox jewish population there finding the school to their liking because of its jewish tradition and accomodations)

so the 30 or so people that got the email today, seems like a bunch are from SDN lol. i don't know why they didn't bcc everyone who got the interview invite. (I got the invite too! so ecstatic right now!!)

also, i never got the application complete email that everyone else got, not even in my spam (i've been checking my spam every day since i sent my application in, and nothing). i called them on monday of this week, they said they got my secondary and that i was complete, and then interview invite like 11 hours ago!

So can any of current students give us some good advice on places to stay and what to expect or prepare for the interview day?
I asked for Oct 6th invite. Good luck to everyone~

Last year I stayed at the ALOFT Harlem. Its walking distance to the school.

Was the room rate reasonable?

I can't remember what it was, but it was ok for NYC. I've paid more staying in Toronto. It was clean, nice and I wanted it to be convenient to get to the school. After my interview I ran to central park about a mile away.

I've been looking at some of the room rates and I'm getting a little nauseous lol

I would strongly consider looking at a hotel near the metro north line. New Rochelle, Pelham, and Mt Vernon are all very close to this area of harlem and you can easily walk from hotels in those areas to the Metro North train line.

My sister lives in New Rochelle and (probably the farthest out of the three) and it takes 15 min on the train to get to the station in Harlem. The station is just a couple blocks away from the school so you wouldn't have far to go. Hotels will be cheaper in this area, especially if you call ahead and ask for a student discount. :)

I would strongly consider looking at a hotel near the metro north line. New Rochelle, Pelham, and Mt Vernon are all very close to this area of harlem and you can easily walk from hotels in those areas to the Metro North train line.

My sister lives in New Rochelle and (probably the farthest out of the three) and it takes 15 min on the train to get to the station in Harlem. The station is just a couple blocks away from the school so you wouldn't have far to go. Hotels will be cheaper in this area, especially if you call ahead and ask for a student discount. :)

Well I'd also mention that any hotel in Manhattan or west Brooklyn and west queens can get you to touro in under 1 hour door to door. The school is next to 8 (10 of youre. Willing to walk a bit) subway lines. You'll have zero trouble gettig there from any subway that goes through Manhattan.

quick question, did any of you guys receive an email saying that Touro got the primary app? my 4 other schools did but not Touro. when i called the admissions lady a couple days ago she just said that it was under review. so for all of you...did you just get an email for a secondary or was that in addition to an email that said they received your aacomas? thanx

invite as well.

scheduled for 10/26. hopefully it's not too late :D

Congrats! Did they confirm that date with you already, or did you just request it?

Thank you. They didn't confirm with me yet. I simply just E-mailed Mr. Sow to request that date.

I've been looking at some of the room rates and I'm getting a little nauseous lol

What I did was fly into LaGuardia and took the M60 bus into the city. It will drop you off literally right outside of the school. I stayed at the airport hotel and the rate was like $125 for the night I think...

Unfortunately, it's NYC and it's expensive.

So can any of current students give us some good advice on places to stay and what to expect or prepare for the interview day?
I asked for Oct 6th invite. Good luck to everyone~

As for as preparing, just be yourself. I personally didn't interview anywhere else, but from stories that I have heard from others, they said that here was their least stress inducing interview.

I don't know if they changed the format of the interview for this year, but this is how it was for me:
~12 interviewess broken up into 3 groups
The day was from 8-12/1ish
Breakfast/chat with the DOA
Meeting with Fin Aid
Tour of the school provided by students
Individual (open file-was for me) interviews
Lunch
Go home

Like I said, last year for me the interview format was 2 professors, open file. One of my interviewers chose to read my file beforehand, while the other did not. Be familiar with what you've written, but don't be so concerned about your grades because if you have made it this far, you deserve to be here. Be relaxed. It's a very personal kind of interview, not really question-answer. My interviewers started off with "Tell me about yourself" and the conversation went on from there. Relax, and you'll all do great! I can't wait to see you all wandering the halls!

I am still waiting for their interview invite email...the wait is a killer, lol

Confirmed for the 5th!! This is one of my top schools. I just have to make sure I don't mess up on the interview or come across as a freak lol.

I was given the option to go on October 5th, but I requested the 25th instead for more preparation time.

I took the 25th too because I live about an hour away and happen to be home from school the weekend before, so it works out well! So excited!

Anyone going there on the 6th? Don't tell me I'll be the only one :) I might end up staying at JFK hotel and take the subway there

Honestly, I liked the Aloft Harlem. It was not too far from La Guardia and the staff was very nice. Seemed like a younger crowd there too.

For those who called to check on their apps being complete, how long did you wait after sending in your secondary? I got the "Please be advised we have received your supplemental application and fee....." email from Issa Sow on Sept 7, but have not heard anything since regarding being complete or missing any documents. Wondering if I should call?

For those who called to check on their apps being complete, how long did you wait after sending in your secondary? I got the "Please be advised we have received your supplemental application and fee....." email from Issa Sow on Sept 7, but have not heard anything since regarding being complete or missing any documents. Wondering if I should call?

Well, for me I didn't even receive any e-mail saying that they received my secondary (yes, I checked my spam folder), so I just decided to call them and ask them nicely if they could take a look for me.

Got an email saying the 5th, 6th, and 25th were filled up, so I requested to be interviewed on the 26th.

Any idea on how many applicants per interview day?