TOUROCOM NY Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you very much donkeykong1, that helps a lot. I'll be sure to visit the school before the interview.

you can get off at port authority and take the A train uptown (towards 207 street) to 125 street. from there walk 4 blocks to touro.

Members don't see this ad.

you can get off at port authority and take the A train uptown (towards 207 street) to 125 street. from there walk 4 blocks to touro.

the trip from penn station to 125th street and then the 2 blocks to school will take you 20 minutes tops.

So who's interviewing this Wednesday (10/5)?

Members don't see this ad :)
So who's interviewing this Wednesday (10/5)?

YES! who are our first victi...I mean interviewees? I'm excited to see all of you wandering the halls! Just remember to relax and be yourself. You're interviewing because we want you here!

For those of you who received secondaries, how long after your primary was submitted did it take to receive it? When I called the admissions office to check on the status of my application/when I should expect to receive/not receive my secondary, the admissions counselor didn't seem to understand what I was saying, almost as if there was a language barrier, so there was not much help from that end. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

I'm interviewing then too! I saw on an earlier post that you might be sticking around a bit before leaving? :D

Yes I am. Just didn't wanna carry my luggage to the school during my interview day. Plus now I get to check out manhattan and all her glory for a day

Members don't see this ad :)
@ DocEspana
@ bn270

Can't wait to see the fresh meat tomorrow :)

As for those of you interviewing tomorrow, good luck! If you have ANY questions whatsoever, including what to do if you plan on staying in the city for the night, message me on here.

@ DocEspana
@ bn270

Can't wait to see the fresh meat tomorrow :)

As for those of you interviewing tomorrow, good luck! If you have ANY questions whatsoever, including what to do if you plan on staying in the city for the night, message me on here.

please harass them for me (alternatively, be really nice. Your call).

Plus now I get to check out manhattan and all her glory for a day

Ha..ha....I've lived within 1 hour of manhattan for about 16 years now and I could never claim to even know 1% of manhattan

She's a beaut :rolleyes:

But seriously, if you need tips on where to head to, please ask one of us!

Good lord. I've been complete for several weeks now... I'm starting to doubt this secondary=interview thing.

Good lord. I've been complete for several weeks now... I'm starting to doubt this secondary=interview thing.

When I called beginning of the cycle they said secondary = interview. But i think they have changed it now in the middle of the cycle :-s
because now they are saying secondary under review for interview decision :-s

Well...that was interesting

So they told us to be there at 9am...but apparently it started at 8am. So we were all late.

Also it was supposed to end at 1pm, it ended at 2:30pm....so if you're like me, don't book your megabus back to DC at 3:30pm (I barely made it).

Staff was really nice
School was awesome
Interview was uh...interesting. Every time I finished an answer I got another question instantaneously, be prepared to think on your feet.

Got to see the cadaver lab(so cool!) and our tour guide Donald was really nice.

Last year I thought my interview was over and then 10 min later they called me back in! lOL

Well...that was interesting

So they told us to be there at 9am...but apparently it started at 8am. So we were all late.

Also it was supposed to end at 1pm, it ended at 2:30pm....so if you're like me, don't book your megabus back to DC at 3:30pm (I barely made it).

Staff was really nice
School was awesome
Interview was uh...interesting. Every time I finished an answer I got another question instantaneously, be prepared to think on your feet.

Got to see the cadaver lab(so cool!) and our tour guide Donald was really nice.

I agree with pretty much everything. Luckily, I arrived early. (@7:30, the staff wasn't even there, just the security guard lol) I definitely had a little good cop/bad cop, but it wasnt unbearable. At the end of the day it was a positive experience.

Good luck to everyone in the group today and anyone else interviewing here.

Does TOURCOM interview closed file, or open file?

It was closed. At least it seemed to be lol. They didn't have anything in front of them. I don't know if they didnt see my file before hand and if they were just testing to see how well I know what I put on my app.

According to the numbers on the AACOMAS site, a lot of the Osteopathic schools have had their applications increasing by 500-1000 per year. I noticed PCOM went from ~4500 in 07-08 to ~6500 last year. So I can see how the secondary=interview couldn;t last very long. It said TOUROCOM had ~3500 last year, assume with current trends it may even be up to ~4000 this year. Apparently they do screen pre-secondary, but it can't be that heavily. Out of people I personally know it has been 3 out of 3 submitted a primary and received a secondary in addition to myself. Also it doesn't appear anyone has posted in this thread about being rejected pre-secondary? atleast not so far anyway. So say that 1700 out of 4000 receive+return secondary, I don't even see how they could possibly interview even nearly that many:( Wouldn't it be something like 500-600 interview for a class this size?

According to the numbers on the AACOMAS site, a lot of the Osteopathic schools have had their applications increasing by 500-1000 per year. I noticed PCOM went from ~4500 in 07-08 to ~6500 last year. So I can see how the secondary=interview couldn;t last very long. It said TOUROCOM had ~3500 last year, assume with current trends it may even be up to ~4000 this year. Apparently they do screen pre-secondary, but it can't be that heavily. Out of people I personally know it has been 3 out of 3 submitted a primary and received a secondary in addition to myself. Also it doesn't appear anyone has posted in this thread about being rejected pre-secondary? atleast not so far anyway. So say that 1700 out of 4000 receive+return secondary, I don't even see how they could possibly interview even nearly that many:( Wouldn't it be something like 500-600 interview for a class this size?

If you can afford the $200 secondary, I see that as more reason to send it in. Look at this way. It probably means that receiving an interview means more if its not automatic like it used to be.

Yes someone did get rejected pre secondary. Then they sent him a secondary, but when he emailed to ask about it, he got rejected again.

Yes someone did get rejected pre secondary. Then they sent him a secondary, but when he emailed to ask about it, he got rejected again.

so that counts as 2 rejections. there you go. 2 rejections so far.

My ex-gf applied to the school 2 cycles ago. She was rejected pre-secondary. It sucked for her (less so for me, i was lukewarm about her attending). She contacted them to ask for why and how she could improve. Obed, at the time, went through with her over e-mail what the perceived weaknesses were and what she could do to improve it for next cycle. I know its not a current cycle example, but its an example that they definitely previously screened before the secondary.

hmm...I guess Touro really is becoming more competitive to get in...
To the current students, how was the acceptance rate post interview for previous cycles?

It was open... the file wasnt literally open in front of them, but they referenced my college, research, and specifics from my application. When answering questions, I answered them as if they hadnt really read it, because I didnt want to assume they had read it thoroughly. Several times they responded with "yes I noticed that on your application".

Wow...a cabbie just tried to cheat me by asking a flat rate of $45 to get from Manhattan to LaGuardia....Good thing SDN telling me it should be around $30.
I paid $31 which includs the 10% tip

Those who are interviewing tomorrow, I'll see you there!!!

Wow...a cabbie just tried to cheat me by asking a flat rate of $45 to get from Manhattan to LaGuardia....Good thing SDN telling me it should be around $30.
I paid $31 which includs the 10% tip

Those who are interviewing tomorrow, I'll see you there!!!

I should have said this. Only yellow taxis are metered. Everyone else is a gypsy cab and you can tangle with since they charge whatever they feel like. Harlem has few yellow cabs and many gypsy cabs.

Interview invite today, was complete on 9.28.11. 33R, c3.46 s3.75. I looked at their match list but I'm not sure what to make of it, don't really know whats good and not. So whats the consensus is it good?

The general consensus around Touro was that for the very first graduating class of an osteopathic school, the match list was excellent.

That being said, I wouldn't consider the match list of any school to be very representative of your future results. So not that important.

The general consensus around Touro was that for the very first graduating class of an osteopathic school, the match list was excellent.

That being said, I wouldn't consider the match list of any school to be very representative of your future results. So not that important.

I agree, and the same goes with board scores.

Agreed, it seems like a good school, I was just curious. How about the clinical rotations, I did some searching and it seems people were gripping about them a few years back but seems like they have gotten better. Is this an accurate statement?
Thanks

I had my interview few hours ago, so I can say that although the school is small, they do seem to sell it pretty well.
There is definately no regional preference as only one student was from ny state among the 12 that interviewed.
One thing the Dean of student affairs told us was that they didn't really care too much for the vr or ps scores on the mcat. What they heavily looked at was the bs, so prepare to have at least a min of 9 on bs.
One thing to remember: you are evaluated the time you walk into that building to the time you leave. So be professional and keep your egos checked always.

I had my interview few hours ago, so I can say that although the school is small, they do seem to sell it pretty well.
There is definately no regional preference as only one student was from ny state among the 12 that interviewed.
One thing the Dean of student affairs told us was that they didn't really care too much for the vr or ps scores on the mcat. What they heavily looked at was the bs, so prepare to have at least a min of 9 on bs.
One thing to remember: you are evaluated the time you walk into that building to the time you leave. So be professional and keep your egos checked always.

Last year they said the same thing. VR didn't really matter. Its funny what some schools value. In Ontario, VR is very important if not the most important section on the MCAT. IMO, the whole test doesn't mean much. Judging from my own experience with DAT and Dental board exams -- in which I scored average at best on DAT 18 or so and very good on NDB 1 and 2 90th percentile on both.

Agreed, it seems like a good school, I was just curious. How about the clinical rotations, I did some searching and it seems people were gripping about them a few years back but seems like they have gotten better. Is this an accurate statement?
Thanks

Hey @DocEspana, can you answer this? I know you're a few years ahead of me and SML67, so you can answer this the best out of the current students!

anyone know i fif Touro nY takes ur most recent mcat score or the best overall score if you have taken the mcat multiple times?

Interviewed this week :xf: awesome school. Sounds like they've been putting a lot of emphasis on recruiting very competent pre-clinical instructors and hold them accountable to teaching well. They stated that it's their goal to have their students performing well on the boards, and eventually be one of the top schools on board performance. The 97% pass COMLEX pass rate for 2011 shows that their efforts have been working.

Also, stumbled upon a great post by DocEspana that discusses the clinical rotations. Definitely helpful for anyone that's considering Touro: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=11012330#post11012330

Any idea on turnover time to receive the secondary? I'm assuming since my AACOMAS were released later than a lot of you (9/22), it's taking a but longer to get the secondary...can anyone shed some light on how long I should expect?

Interviewed this week :xf: awesome school. Sounds like they've been putting a lot of emphasis on recruiting very competent pre-clinical instructors and hold them accountable to teaching well. They stated that it's their goal to have their students performing well on the boards, and eventually be one of the top schools on board performance. The 97% pass COMLEX pass rate for 2011 shows that their efforts have been working.

Also, stumbled upon a great post by DocEspana that discusses the clinical rotations. Definitely helpful for anyone that's considering Touro: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=11012330#post11012330

In addition they're working on another NJ hospital and Rikers Island prison for when we, 2015, start rotations.