TOUROCOM NY Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It has only been 4 days since my interview and I'm already on edge waiting for a decision lol

Members don't see this ad.

some (4/6 of the NJ hospitals) of the rotation sites aren't the best...the ones without residency programs. I guess those could be for more independent students because you will have to learn everything on your own. It makes a big difference having someone there whose job it is to teach students and make sure they are getting a lot of hands on. Unfortunately you fall through the cracks in some of these NJ hospitals. They are private attendings...not educators...who may drop some knowledge here and there but that is not the same as teaching; so be prepared for that. the positive is that you dont spend 12 hours a day at the hospital so you have more time to read.

With that said some of what I mentioned above should hopefully change as Touro is trying to open up 6-7 residency programs by 2013 in 1 or 2 of the NJ hospitals to which I'm referring. At this point there is a 60% chance of those residencies being approved (60% is not a bad number).

Last edited:
For current students, any notable clubs or student groups? My interviewer told me about a nutrition club, and that sounds like something I'd be interested in

Members don't see this ad :)
Does TOUROCOM accept Statistics for their math requirement?

I only have 3cr Precalc and 3cr Statistics, and they list 4 credits in Mathematics

I only have 3cr Precalc and 3cr Statistics, and they list 4 credits in Mathematics

I would assume they do, as most schools take stats. The catalog doesn't make any distinction for pre-calc vs. calc vs. stats

check pm

Last edited:
Anyone think I will get a secondary invite with my MCAT score:

24O
PS - 10
VR - 9
BS - 5 :( I bombed this and still in shock as this was my strongest section.

I have my primary already verified but was waiting on my MCAT score that I took on 9/10.

Other stats:
sGPA: 3.20
cGPA: 3.35
Bio Major from NJ

LOR's: PreMed committee, 2 MD's, 1 DO, 1 Science, 1 Non-Science, 1 Research Advisor
Work: Pharm. technician, then at a dialysis center, then wireless store associate
Volunteer: EMS (non-EMT), church, school cultural group
Research: cortisol studies for 1.5 years with thesis

Anyone think I will get a secondary invite with my MCAT score:

24O
PS - 10
VR - 9
BS - 5 :( I bombed this and still in shock as this was my strongest section.

I have my primary already verified but was waiting on my MCAT score that I took on 9/10.

Other stats:
sGPA: 3.20
cGPA: 3.35
Bio Major from NJ

LOR's: PreMed committee, 2 MD's, 1 DO, 1 Science, 1 Non-Science, 1 Research Advisor
Work: Pharm. technician, then at a dialysis center, then wireless store associate
Volunteer: EMS (non-EMT), church, school cultural group
Research: cortisol studies for 1.5 years with thesis

They told us straight out at our interview that the only score they seriously look at on the MCAT = the BS score. They said they kinda look at the PS score and basically don't care about the verbal score. :[ Any chance of retaking it as early as possible next year? They technically just started interviewing this month, so there could still be space?

They told us straight out at our interview that the only score they seriously look at on the MCAT = the BS score. They said they kinda look at the PS score and basically don't care about the verbal score. :[ Any chance of retaking it as early as possible next year? They technically just started interviewing this month, so there could still be space?

I can also confirm this. The Dean of Student Affairs told us (interviewees) that we were selected for interview since our BS section of MCAT was 9+. Although your other sections and GPA is good, the fact that you are bio major and bombed on BS will raise ton of questions.
I was initially given interview with 26Q 10PS 10BS 6VR (although I improved all my section scores for the 2nd mcat), so you could kinda say that VR don't matter as much as your BS score.

I can also confirm this. The Dean of Student Affairs told us (interviewees) that we were selected for interview since our BS section of MCAT was 9+. Although your other sections and GPA is good, the fact that you are bio major and bombed on BS will raise ton of questions.
I was initially given interview with 26Q 10PS 10BS 6VR (although I improved all my section scores for the 2nd mcat), so you could kinda say that VR don't matter as much as your BS score.

Yeah unfortunately I don't know why I did so poorly for BS. As a bio major, I barely had to review for this section and went straight into practice exams. I was consistently averaging 10-11. I had to look at my score a few times to make sure I was actually seeing a 5:oops:

I will likely plan on retaking it in Jan. 2012 but I honestly think it might be too late by then. I was hoping for a shot with my current MCAT but since there is so much emphasis on BS, I guess I'm out.

Yeah unfortunately I don't know why I did so poorly for BS. As a bio major, I barely had to review for this section and went straight into practice exams. I was consistently averaging 10-11. I had to look at my score a few times to make sure I was actually seeing a 5:oops:

I will likely plan on retaking it in Jan. 2012 but I honestly think it might be too late by then. I was hoping for a shot with my current MCAT but since there is so much emphasis on BS, I guess I'm out.

Darn, that really sucks. :( Maybe the BS section for your MCAT when you took it was just insanely difficult. There might be other DO schools that would still take everything else into consideration though! Is Touro your first choice?

Darn, that really sucks. :( Maybe the BS section for your MCAT when you took it was just insanely difficult. There might be other DO schools that would still take everything else into consideration though! Is Touro your first choice?

It was difficult no doubt and really wasn't like anything that I encountered during practice exams. There was also a good amount of orgo but I still never saw the 5 coming. Touro is my 1st choice. Hypothetically if I were accepted, I'd put down a deposit in a heartbeat. Curse this 5...

Hi everyone, I've been reading about how Touro considers the bio section of the MCAT to be most important. I have an 8 in bio (as well as a 10 in physics and a 8 in verbal). When I took it last time I had a 9, but this time it was an 8. I've received a secondary, and I completed it an turned it in a couple weeks ago, but I haven't heard back about an interview yet and I'm starting to worry. Does anyone know if having an 8 in the bio section will automatically exclude me from interviews? Has anyone else with an 8 received interviews? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, I've been reading about how Touro considers the bio section of the MCAT to be most important. I have an 8 in bio (as well as a 10 in physics and a 8 in verbal). When I took it last time I had a 9, but this time it was an 8. I've received a secondary, and I completed it an turned it in a couple weeks ago, but I haven't heard back about an interview yet and I'm starting to worry. Does anyone know if having an 8 in the bio section will automatically exclude me from interviews? Has anyone else with an 8 received interviews? Thanks!

If you got a secondary then my guess would be that your MCAT score is fine. If they had a problem with it they would not have sent you a secondary.

Also they added a few new people to the admissions committee this year, at least 3 new people that I know of, so the way they look at apps, grant interviews and acceptances might be different than previous years.

i still haven't received a secondary from them...should I call them? I have received requests for secondary apps from all my other schools except for this school. i have an 11BS 35Q overall.

i still haven't received a secondary from them...should I call them? I have received requests for secondary apps from all my other schools except for this school. i have an 11BS 35Q overall.

When was your AACOMAS released?...Also Touro-NY screens the primary pretty thoroughly for EC's, Personal Statement, etc. Its not just GPA/MCAT minimums.

When was your AACOMAS released?...Also Touro-NY screens the primary pretty thoroughly for EC's, Personal Statement, etc. Its not just GPA/MCAT minimums.

I'm pretty sure a 35Q will get him/her a secondary :eek:

my primary app was verified sept 23. I'm thinking mayb I was too late but still other schools did give me a secondary.

my primary app was verified sept 23. I'm thinking mayb I was too late but still other schools did give me a secondary.

I was released 7/28, and received the secondary 8/22. However that was the first day anyone got the secondary. I guess you should give them a call tomorrow. It can't hurt. I'm sure you'll get the secondary eventually. They just have a method to their madness, i suppose.

Hoping decisions start coming out this week :xf:

aaah I finally got through and they told me my app is under review... It'll probably be a few weeks before I receive a secondary from them =(

Last edited:
hey guys, whats the % that get accepted after an interview?

specifically around now (nov)-- is this early?

2 months has passed, and 2 weeks a month interviews,

im guessing 20 students perweek....

120 or so applicants so far been interviewed..of those im sure more than 50% have applied to other schools..leaving a 60 real interested students

im guessing at least 50- acceptances have been sent out...

boom..theres some mcat math for u

Do you guys think they are more forgiving of an 8B on the MCAT if the only bio courses you ever took are Gen Bio I and II and you're a non-traditional applicant who only took the 8 prereqs? Other scores are 9V and 9P.

hey guys, whats the % that get accepted after an interview?

specifically around now (nov)-- is this early?

2 months has passed, and 2 weeks a month interviews,

im guessing 20 students perweek....

120 or so applicants so far been interviewed..of those im sure more than 50% have applied to other schools..leaving a 60 real interested students

im guessing at least 50- acceptances have been sent out...

boom..theres some mcat math for u

Huh?...they've only had one week (two days) of interviews so far. Oct 5th/6th. So thats about 20-24 applicants. I think they have two more days this month, Oct 26, 27. No acceptances have gone out yet, to the best of my knowledge.

This school has limited new seats because they take a few from their masters program, plus they a handed out a few deferred acceptances from last cycle.

I got an email from touro in early september stating that they received my secondary and that they would email me to schedule my interview as soon as my application was deemed complete.

Then I got an email saying that my application was currently being reviewed and that I would be notified when I am invited for an interview.

The first email made it sound like I definitely had an interview and it was yet to be scheduled...the second email one month later made it sound like I might be offered an interview but no longer sounded like a sure thing...

Has this happened to anyone else out there??

I got an email from touro in early september stating that they received my secondary and that they would email me to schedule my interview as soon as my application was deemed complete.

Then I got an email saying that my application was currently being reviewed and that I would be notified when I am invited for an interview.

The first email made it sound like I definitely had an interview and it was yet to be scheduled...the second email one month later made it sound like I might be offered an interview but no longer sounded like a sure thing...

Has this happened to anyone else out there??

I think most are in this same position. Looks like they may have changed things from last year. I didn't get the reviewed email, but the first one I did get.

I guess if things have changed somewhat, its probably for the better. Just looking over the threads from the last few years, it seemed that people were initially happy that secondary = interview. However, they also felt that getting interview wouldn;t mean as much if too many applicants were interviewed. I am biased since I already interviewed, but for anyone that gets the opportunity, I guess you should see it as a positive.

Interview invite!
First one of the season, SUPER excited! :)

Hoping decisions start coming out this week :xf:

The wait is killing me. Although they told us to wait 3-5 weeks for their decision, any bets on whether or not they'll be coming out this week (it's week #2)? My gut is telling me we might know by this Friday. Of course, it's just a hope/guess

The wait is killing me. Although they told us to wait 3-5 weeks for their decision, any bets on whether or not they'll be coming out this week (it's week #2)? My gut is telling me we might know by this Friday. Of course, it's just a hope/guess

I hope so too! I'd love to know by tomorrow (since that's exactly two weeks), but I'm trying to be realistic.

My nails look horrible because I keep biting them out of anticipation

I had similar thinking. With the way they've staggered the invites and actual interviews, it leads me to believe its coming real soon. It seems that they like to have a running count of how many people were accepted and how many out of that group has sent in the $2000 seat deposit. The first invites went out 9/13 and the dates were for 10/5, 10/6, 10/26, 10/27. And if we were to go by what's posted SDN, the next invite didnt go out until today, 10/18.

So I'm hoping we find out before the two groups interview next week.

I had similar thinking. With the way they've staggered the invites and actual interviews, it leads me to believe its coming real soon. It seems that they like to have a running count of how many people were accepted and how many out of that group has sent in the $2000 seat deposit. The first invites went out 9/13 and the dates were for 10/5, 10/6, 10/26, 10/27. And if we were to go by what's posted SDN, the next invite didnt go out until today, 10/18.

FYI, the dates offered for this time around were for 11/9, 11/16, 11/17, 11/29, and 11/30 :)

i just withdrew my app. I was originally scheduled for an oct interview, but had to re-scheduled to a Nov. one...hope someone on here get's invited to fill my interview slot! Best of luck everyone! :luck:

FYI, the dates offered for this time around were for 11/9, 11/16, 11/17, 11/29, and 11/30 :)

5 interview days next month...they're not playing around. They probably would have had more this month if not for the Jewish holidays.

I hope so too! I'd love to know by tomorrow (since that's exactly two weeks), but I'm trying to be realistic.

My nails look horrible because I keep biting them out of anticipation

Do you guys think the decisions will be via phone call/email/letter?

Decisions are generally emailed, however in a situation that requires a quick decision they have been known to call.

Decisions are generally emailed, however in a situation that requires a quick decision they have been known to call.

Thanks. Looks like I'll be refreshing my email even more often than I already do :p

The first invites went out 9/13 and the dates were for 10/5, 10/6, 10/26, 10/27. And if we were to go by what's posted SDN, the next invite didnt go out until today, 10/18.

I received my II on 9/22 and it was for the November dates

I just wanna find out, by any means...if necessary, I'll sit out in front of my house waiting for a carrier pigeon lol

Last year we got a personal phone call from the Dean or from the DOA, and we also received the decision in exactly 2 weeks. I'm sorry for everyone that is freaking out. Just try and stay calm and positive!

according to an above poster, this year you find out in 3-5 weeks (the standard among most med schools)...this is probably due to the new admissions committee members' schedules; they don't have enough time to meet every 2 weeks.

according to an above poster, this year you find out in 3-5 weeks (the standard among most med schools)...this is probably due to the new admissions committee members' schedules; they don't have enough time to meet every 2 weeks.

Makes sense...still hoping for sooner rather than later

Interview invite!
First one of the season, SUPER excited! :)

Do you mind sharing when you were complete? And stats/experience? I have been complete forever and haven't heard a peep........

Do you mind sharing when you were complete? And stats/experience? I have been complete forever and haven't heard a peep........

Yeah, sure!
Received Secondary (9/15)
Mailed out secondary (9/16)
Interview Invite (10/18)

In-state, 30R MCAT, ~3.7 cGPA & sGPA, a lot of teaching experience, biopsych and clinical psych health-related and research experience, work a lot with people with mental disabilities, and a few other things along that vein

Best of luck with your application! :)

For people who already interviewed, around what time did it end? (I saw one person post that it was scheduled to end at 1 but went until 2:30).

I'm trying to get my plane ticket squared away, and want to know if a 5:45 pm Newark departure is cutting it close?

For people who already interviewed, around what time did it end? (I saw one person post that it was scheduled to end at 1 but went until 2:30).

I'm trying to get my plane ticket squared away, and want to know if a 5:45 pm Newark departure is cutting it close?

I think you'll be fine as long as you bring any luggage with you