Program-Specific Info / Q's Towson University 2016 Admissions Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Marie12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello people who applied to Towson,

I know the deadline for Towson is coming up (or according to OTCAS, it already passed) and I know they will start to look at applications soon! I figured I would start a thread so that we can share updates and information with each other. We should hear about who made it to the second round, and who's rejected in mid February (last year people heard back February 10th...I think!). So exciting/scary!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm currently attending Towson, if anyone has any questions please feel free to send me a message. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
does towson do interviews? or is it just accept/waitlist/deny ? anxiously awaiting a decision from them...

Members don't see this ad :)
does towson do interviews? or is it just accept/waitlist/deny ? anxiously awaiting a decision from them...

There aren't any interviews. They will send you a decision by mail (accept/deny/waitlist) good luck!

No, there are no interviews. In mid February (in a week or 2) they will send emails to applicants letting them know if they move on to the second round, or if they are rejected. If you make it to the second round, they let people know by regular mail at the end of march if they are accepted or waitlisted.

I found some stat info from the 2015 application cycle that I got from an information session I went to back in the fall:

489 verified applications
93 didn't meet the minimum GPA requirement
52 incomplete applications
average last 60 credit GPA: 3.7 (range is 3.3-4.0)
average prerequisite GPA: 3.8 (range is 3.6-4.0)

I don't know how many people made it to the second round though. Hope that this is good information for people. Good luck to us all!

Reactions: 1 users
I heard from the 2014 application cycle that roughly 120 people made it to the 2nd round! I know a lot of my classmates were waitlisted initially. Don't get your hopes up just yet because the probability is not that bad! Good luck

Anyone hear any updates?

Nope. Hopefully very soon! If I don't hear by Monday or tuesday, I think I'll contact them. As soon as I hear something, I'll post about it!

I made it to the second round!!! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if Towson sends these out in waves? Haven't gotten an email :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if Towson sends these out in waves? Haven't gotten an email :(
I don't think so, but I don't know for sure. You should try emailing admissions, and see if they will!

i didn't get one yet either :/

I made it to the second round too but I'm EXTREMELY nervous since Towson's my first choice :(:( I wonder what the stats are like for this year...

I made it to the second round too but I'm EXTREMELY nervous since Towson's my first choice :(:( I wonder what the stats are like for this year...
Towson is my top choice too! I will be a nervous wreck until the end of march! I don't mind sharing my stats for Towson:

Last 60 credit gpa: 3.94
Prerequisite gpa: 3.77 or 3.78
Shadowing: 40 hrs in work related injuries, 20 in outpatient pediatrics, 10 hours inpatient rehab (geriatric)
I have 2200-2500 hours so far working fulltime as a recreation therapist

Girlfriend... I wouldn't be worried if I were you. Your stats are crazy!! Mine is:
Last 60 GPA: 3.75
Pre-req: 3.9
Observation and experiences: 185 pediatrics outpatients, 20 nursing home geriatric, 50 ICU, 400 medical assistance (internist office)
About 3000 working hours as nail techs
:(

Does Towson only look at your last 60 credits? Does that include post-bacc courses?

Does Towson only look at your last 60 credits? Does that include post-bacc courses?
Yes they only look at your last 60 credits, and those are undergrad credits. I'm not sure about postbac, you should call and ask.

Girlfriend... I wouldn't be worried if I were you. Your stats are crazy!! Mine is:
Last 60 GPA: 3.75
Pre-req: 3.9
Observation and experiences: 185 pediatrics outpatients, 20 nursing home geriatric, 50 ICU, 400 medical assistance (internist office)
About 3000 working hours as nail techs
:(
Thank you! You're stats are awesome!!! Your prereq gpa is near perfect!!! I hope we all hear good news in march!!

I just found this on the Towson website:
"The only way to increase the last 60 credit GPA after completion of the baccalaureate degree, is to take upper level coursework 300 level and above or enroll in a graduate or post baccalaureate certificate program."

I've made it to the second round as well! Have you all finished all the prerequisites?

I just found this on the Towson website:
"The only way to increase the last 60 credit GPA after completion of the baccalaureate degree, is to take upper level coursework 300 level and above or enroll in a graduate or post baccalaureate certificate program."
Thank you!
And I'm missing the physics and medical terminology prerequisites, hopefully I can take them this summer if I get accepted.

I've made it to the second round as well! Have you all finished all the prerequisites?
I'm taking my anatomy 2 and human Devo this sem and then I'll be done!

How did you guys fit the experiences in the otcas application? Do you put everything in "observation" section? I only put 3 of my experiences in there and the rest went in the "experience" section. I hope they look at both and not just the observation one? Now I'm afraid I screwed up..

I'm taking my anatomy 2 and human Devo this sem and then I'll be done!

How did you guys fit the experiences in the otcas application? Do you put everything in "observation" section? I only put 3 of my experiences in there and the rest went in the "experience" section. I hope they look at both and not just the observation one? Now I'm afraid I screwed up..
I think I did the same thing because I had to add hours later. If you're concerned, I would call the OTCAS customer service number and see if they can verify how everything is filled out. I'm sure you are fine, though!

Thank you!
And I'm missing the physics and medical terminology prerequisites, hopefully I can take them this summer if I get accepted.
I also need to complete physics. I'm planning to do this during the summer, if accepted to Towson.

I put my volunteer experiences under observation hours and paid experience under experiences. I wouldn't worry though because as long as it's in there somewhere it becomes part of the application they receive!

Just got an email notifying me that I made it past the first round! Not sure why I was notified so much later than you guys but excited!

Hey! When filling out the graduate school application, were you able to select the professional occupational therapy program? Fall 2016 only comes up under the BS/MS program for me and I can't select the professional option

I was able to select the professional occupational therapy program when I filled it out. Maybe you should contact admissions

Hey! When filling out the graduate school application, were you able to select the professional occupational therapy program? Fall 2016 only comes up under the BS/MS program for me and I can't select the professional option

Hello! I had the same problem yesterday. I called and apparently graduate admissions had closed this application because the initial wave of people who were notified about moving on for further review were supposed to reply by March 1st and the OT department didn't tell admissions that they were sending out more emails. They fixed it though and I just submitted my app!

Hey guys! Have any of you heard anything yet?? Getting anxious to hear! I went to the grad student open house and they said this year they admitted 4 people for early admission and they have 36 spots open. There were 150 people taken to second review!!

Hey guys! Have any of you heard anything yet?? Getting anxious to hear! I went to the grad student open house and they said this year they admitted 4 people for early admission and they have 36 spots open. There were 150 people taken to second review!!
A current student told me that letters either went out on friday, or they will be sent Monday, so we should hear back by mid this week! Omg 150? 36 spots left? That makes me nervous! Good luck to us all!

That is good news! Only a few more days of anxious waiting left! I wouldn't be concerned Marie12 with that GPA and a background in recreational therapy you have a really good shot at one of those 36 spots!! Good Luck to everyone who has applied and hopefully we will be seeing each other at Towson this fall!! :bookworm:.
Thank you for the kind words! Yes, I hope we all receive good news soon!

Towson has begun sending out acceptance emails!

I was waitlisted. They said I'm in the top third

Last edited:
Congratulations to all those who were accepted!

Last edited:
I was waitlisted. Heartbroken. If you were accepted and don't plan on attending, please let the admissions department know as soon as possible. They said I'm in the top third

I was waitlisted as well. Did your email say you were top third?
Curious bc mine did not
Thanks, good luck!

No, I called the number at the bottom of the email and asked them. Good luck!

I got accepted!!! Yes congrats to those who did!

I was accepted but will not be attending-- hope this means good news for those on the waitlist!
(don't worry I let them know)

I was accepted but will not be attending-- hope this means good news for those on the waitlist!
(don't worry I let them know)
Congratulations! Thank you for letting them know. Hopefully I get off the waitlist, but I have a school to go to still, so I am thankful for that!

Congratulations! Thank you for letting them know. Hopefully I get off the waitlist, but I have a school to go to still, so I am thankful for that!
I also got accepted, but I let them know I chose another program.

Don't let this discourage you! From what I have heard many of the people that make up the class that starts in the fall were at one point on the wait list and if you are in the top 1/3 your chances are all the greater. Make sure to finish up any pre reqs and keep Towson up to date on any shadow hours, pre reqs etc that you complete as this may help improve your chances of getting off the waiting list. If Towson is where you want to go be persistent but not pushy, let them know that this is your top school and you are still committed to them. Weigh your options and figure out if Towson is truly the best fit for you or whether you would be happier at another school. If Towson is ultimately where you want to go you always have the option of contacting them and seeing what you can do to make your application more competitive and reapply next year. I have read many forums where people have gone through 2-3 rounds of applications before finally ending up at a school they were happy with. This is my second go around of applications, I was accepted to other programs and wait listed at some the first time around and had to do some serious soul searching and figure out what it was I was really looking for and what I could do financially. I decided to wait another year and reapply... this gave me more time to build up funds, straighten things out in my personal life and gain experience. So bottom line, it feels awful right now but there are others who are going through the same thing and many do not have other schools to fall back on, but you need to figure out what you want / what is most important and go after it. It may be that you attend this other school, it may be that you get off the wait list and attend Towson or it may be that you wait a year rebuild / regroup and come back stronger than ever. Never give up on your dream! You might not end up where you thought you would, but you will end up exactly where you are meant to be! You CAN do this!!!.
Wow! That's great to hear! That definitely gives me hope! I am working on the physics prerequisite right now, and then I will be finished with the prerequisites. I let them know when I finish that class. Yes, it's definitely a good idea to show them how interested I am. I would absolutely love to go to Towson, but this is the year I need to start school, so if I am not accepted off the waitlist, I will attend my second choice. Thank you and everyone so much for the support and encouragement! You have certainly made this tough news a whole lot easier to swallow. I would be so lucky to have you all as future classmates! I am glad that there is still hope for me, but I will be excited to start my education in occupational therapy no matter what!