Traffic Ticket?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Avanafil

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I've noticed that people are very reluctant to post their misdemeanors/felonies. I do have one, but I was never too worried about it until now. Maybe you guys could help me figure it out. A few months ago I got a new car (2011 Mustang 5.0L V8, fyi) and took it up to 140mph in the middle of the day (no traffic) on a 4 lane highway. Long story short, I got pulled over and given a misdemeanor for reckless driving (the cop said he could have arrested me for a felony, but decided to be nice).

So...do I even have to report this? It's not like I was selling drugs (or...getting caught for selling drugs). I wasn't stealing or hurting anyone. Is there any way to get it expunged?

How bad will it look to med schools?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
No Im serious. I can PM you the ticket.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah i figured, but how bad is it relative to underage drinking, cheating, stealing, etc?

drinking <ticket<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<stealing<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<cheating

Or, more elegantly:

drinking < traffic violations << stealing <<< cheating

It obviously doesn't look awesome, but with the appropriate explanation about how it was a really bad choice and you have since realized that it was extremely dangerous and not something you should have done, it shouldn't be a problem.

A misdemeanor is a misdemeanor. But of course they will see what kind. Like you stated in a profession that deals with drugs, if you are going to have one, probably not the addict kind of felony should be on your record which would make hospitals nervous to even hire you.

I can however offer some good insight into expungement. First of all, you need to google “expungent _____(your area: county or state)___” Each state is different. The expungement process is known to be very long but it goes something like this:

You get fingerprints maybe, get all your arrest date (even if not arrested, this would be day of incident), and an affidavit, and pay $$.

You 1-5 months for a certificate to arrive you can go through with process.

You resubmit 5 similar forms, more money, and the court gives final decision.

So If you are applying this cycle, you will have to be honest about your situation. And Report it – otherwise as plenty of people will tell you your admission can not only be taken away from you, but lying may cause further problems down the road with licensure. So honesty is your best policy.

But before any of this talk, step 1, google. You will want to see I your state allows for the expungement of your specific case (most often yes. Things that you cant expunge are usually domestic abuse, aggravated assault, and to your dismay drug charges are a go most of the time just as a fun fact).

If you don’t hire a lawyer, then you will want to make sure you do everything in your power to contact the expungement division of your state’s office and your county office, who will have very specific instructions and help you along the way.

Even if you are applying this cycle, you should start the process in case you reapply next year. Although someone can offer insight into how something that possibly earned you a rejection one year, and is expunged the next year, would look or if its tracked at all. All in all, good luck :cat:

Hello Everyone,

I've noticed that people are very reluctant to post their misdemeanors/felonies. I do have one, but I was never too worried about it until now. Maybe you guys could help me figure it out. A few months ago I got a new car (2011 Mustang 5.0L V8, fyi) and took it up to 140mph in the middle of the day (no traffic) on a 4 lane highway. Long story short, I got pulled over and given a misdemeanor for reckless driving (the cop said he could have arrested me for a felony, but decided to be nice).

So...do I even have to report this? It's not like I was selling drugs (or...getting caught for selling drugs). I wasn't stealing or hurting anyone. Is there any way to get it expunged?

Thanks.

Protip: When talking to adcoms do not downplay it. Do not say "it's not like I was selling drugs". If I were an adcom I'd toss your application into the trash. Not even because of your misdemeanor, but because you cannot realize (or express) that what you did was wrong. You are only sorry that you got caught. Not that you went 140mph.

I'm just a pre-med though. So take my advice with a grain of salt.

I lied a bit...there was a crash involved.

2l3acKr.png

Reactions: 1 users

2l3acKr.png

Property dmg of 15k ..............
Injury to another (gonna assume not including yourself)

Given your two threads so far.......... are you being intentionally dense with these poor decisions and myopic view of your privilege?

You may not have to specify everything, but you definitely need to report it if it's asked of you.

You need at least a year to at least grow up and think about what you've been posting and why you've been getting so much backlash. You can't be this dense and succeed at any profession, let alone as a future doctor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Property dmg of 15k ..............
Injury to another (gonna assume not including yourself)

Given your two threads so far.......... are you being intentionally dense with these poor decisions and myopic view of your privilege?

You may not have to specify everything, but you definitely need to report it if it's asked of you.

You need at least a year to at least grow up and think about what you've been posting and why you've been getting so much backlash. You can't be this dense and succeed at any profession, let alone as a future doctor.
Sorry, what do you mean "dense"?

Which would increase a persons' density...

How open are you to the whole pics thing?
I'm not posting a pic of my six pack. That will get me banned.

Back on topic though. How many details about the crash do I have to put? Can I just say "Misdemanor - Reckless Driving" or do I have to put the injury part in?

Back on topic though. How many details about the crash do I have to put? Can I just say "Misdemanor - Reckless Driving" or do I have to put the injury part in?
List it how it was recorded by the officer. There are a variety of background checks that can be run. Some include driving record. If a school runs a background check and it doesn't match up, then they are most likely to reject you as you would lack integrity.

2l3acKr.png
Lol this isn't proof at all. You need to include a piece of paper with "hello SDN from avanafil Sept 3rd" and a pic showing full ticket at least to be a convincing troll. Even then you could just print a fake ticket out online

Unfortunately I think you're SOL. It's okay to have an MCAT score under 30 or try to kill someone with your car, but not both.

Reactions: 5 users
No one wants to bring someone into the community who exercises poor judgment to the point where someone is injured. If you were a non-traditional student who had something like this deep in the past (>7 years) then you might have many years of good judgment to demonstrate that your immature self was long ago in the past. You have not yet put significant time between you and this event. I'd highly doubt that there would be an MD or DO school in America that would touch you.

Why does this always happen? I just try to ask a civil question (i.e. how bad is this ticket) and you guys jump all over me. Wth?

Why does this always happen? I just try to ask a civil question (i.e. how bad is this ticket) and you guys jump all over me. Wth?

At least we just criticized you instead of Tboning you at 140 mph

Reactions: 7 users
At least we just criticized you instead of Tboning you at 140 mph
It wasn't a T-bone. I cut them off and they swerved a bit and we had a little collision before they rolled off the road....

Ok...my question was answered. Thanks guys. This thread can be closed. I won't type anymore here.

Hello Everyone,

Thanks.

Do you seriously think they will let you into medical school driving a Mustang? Step up your game with a car over six figures and you got a shot.

Reactions: 3 users
Do you seriously think they will let you into medical school driving a Mustang? Step up your game with a car over six figures and you got a shot.
They have this nice Maserati lease for $5000 down and $500/month. 2015 Maserati Ghibli. Might get that in med school.

Good night guys, thanks again for the help.

are they ok?

7/10, if just for the responses

DO schools?
DO schools don't want you running people down in your car, either. Sorry, only those who drove a Shelby GT500 get expunged, GT Mustangs excluded. That's what you get for settling.

Reactions: 2 users
Are you joking...or...?

Yes, pretty much.

I have good driving skills. It was the rainy weather.
Goro doesn't joke about that kind of thing. It's his job.

Oh well, darn. They're "pretty much" not quadriplegic, so no biggie.

So let's get this straight. You procured a sports car, thought it would be a good idea to push it to like 70 over the speed limit, in the faking rain....and you're like "mai drivin skillz r grate". And you're asking about how that might look to med schools when you put the lives of others in danger in direct antithesis to the ideals of Medicine.
You've demonstrated not only some of the most severe lack of judgement I've seen on this forum, but also an astounding level of entitlement and selfishness.
Goro is right. You're DOA and rightly so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
I have good driving skills. It was the rainy weather.

Poor driving skills and poor judgement, case in point. You were going 140mph, on a public, American freeway (and not even one in the middle of the desert, going that fast in the middle of nevada with a 10 mile visibility could be excused, imo. Only person getting hurt is yourself), in the rain. The autobahn has a 120kph speed limit that comes into effect (and is universally followed) in inclement weather, for good reason.

@Goro I'll probably be applying to all the DO schools next application round. If you see one with a misdemeanor traffic violation, you'll know who it is! lol do DO adcom members communicate inter-university-aly?

@Goro I'll probably be applying to all the DO schools next application round. If you see one with a misdemeanor traffic violation, you'll know who it is! lol do DO adcom members communicate inter-university-aly?
Yeah, doesn't really need to... they'll figure it out.

I'm sure DO adcoms will welcome you with open arms because they are soooo desperate for people with poor judgement and a complete lack of remorse for their actions. /s

No one is jumping all over you. You asked for help, and received it. Just because the truth hurts doesn't mean we're being harsh, it's just true. You caused harm to others through reckless actions. Behavior like this does not really emulate what a physician should be.