This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

awd222

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Now I realize that DO and MD are practically the same thing, and I am currently in a DO program where I fully believe I am gaining the knowledge I need to be a doctor....however, I'm not sure if I can get over not having the title of MD, and always having to explain exactly what a DO is. I also would like to get a residency in Boston, and I am not sure if this is possible with a DO.

I would love any and all input (keep it positive please!) about this - Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Transfers only occur in extenuating circumstances. Wanting to be an MD is not such a circumstance. Likewise there are plenty of DOs in Boston and in residencies in MA.

Reactions: 3 users
In this day and age, not going to happen. You made your bed, now lie in it.

Hi all,

Now I realize that DO and MD are practically the same thing, and I am currently in a DO program where I fully believe I am gaining the knowledge I need to be a doctor....however, I'm not sure if I can get over not having the title of MD, and always having to explain exactly what a DO is. I also would like to get a residency in Boston, and I am not sure if this is possible with a DO.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
:stop: In before lock

Reactions: 3 users
Should have thought of this before you applied to DO schools, let alone matriculated.

Reactions: 2 users
Solid reason OP, should have no problem transferring

Reactions: 12 users
It's the easiest thing to do. Here are the two steps:

1) Quit your DO program
2) Apply to a MD Caribbean program

Reactions: 12 users
I understand not wanting to go to a DO school because you don't want to learn omt, want a stronger 3rd & 4th year, or want to not close any doors for specialties but for none of that but a title is laughable. Does someone's self worth depend that much on 2 letters?

Reactions: 4 users
Transfers only occur in extenuating circumstances. Wanting to be an MD is not such a circumstance. Likewise there are plenty of DOs in Boston and in residencies in MA.
Really? I wanted to go back to Boston too but everyone kept on telling me it's so DO unfriendly and you can only get a residency in Boston if you are from some big name places etc.

Reactions: 1 user
...Based upon what I've seen, even transferring DO School to another DO school is an anomaly. I know RVU allows transfers in theory, but I'm not sure if anyone has actually matriculated in that fashion.

Someone doesn't wanna put in the work.

Really? I wanted to go back to Boston too but everyone kept on telling me it's so DO unfriendly and you can only get a residency in Boston if you are from some big name places etc.

Well Psychiatry has DO residents at every university program except like MGH in MA last I checked. I imagine FM, Neuro, PM&R, and Path are probably the same.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

What year of school are you in? Honestly, do you believe anyone on SDN can give you the best answer? Email some MD schools and see what they say. Or, look at the FAQs on their websites and see if this question has been asked before.

Anecdotal: I don't know of anyone that transferred from DO to MD. There is that Dean in TX that got his DO and then went to Ross to get his MD. Like 68P said, I bet SGU or Ross would easily allow you to obtain an MD. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Transferring probably not possible, but I'm curious how an MD admissions committee would view an applicant that's currently a DO student. As in, an OMS2 applying for an MS1 spot.

Transferring probably not possible, but I'm curious how an MD admissions committee would view an applicant that's currently a DO student. As in, an OMS2 applying for an MS1 spot.

Probably the same way as any other candidate.

Most MD schools only accept transfers for 3rd year.

Most MD schools only accept transfers for 3rd year.

Right, but I'm not talking about a transfer. I'm talking about someone filling out a brand new AMCAS and applying all over again. Similar to how some foreign doctors do when they move here (we have one in our class, has an "MD" in Israel).

Right, but I'm not talking about a transfer. I'm talking about someone filling out a brand new AMCAS and applying all over again. Similar to how some foreign doctors do when they move here (we have one in our class, has an "MD" from Israel.

Significantly worse. Telling them that you decided to quit medical school to retake the mcat and apply to medical school communicates a level of stupidity and risk. That is unless there are alleviating circumstances such as voluntarily leaving to spend years with a sick family member or etc. But generally for a US student to drop out to then find another us medical school to reaccept them is rare.

I look into this topic before. The 3 MD schools that have a high transfer rate are Drexel, Tulane, and George Washington.
First requirement - there must be an open spot in order for you to transfer.
Second requirement - you must do exceptionally well on USMLE step 1, have the score by May (before clerkship start), and are in top ranking of your class to even get an interview at these schools. It is very competitive d/t lots of IMGs want to transfer.
Third requirement - you must have a mitigating circumstance, i.e. you have a family emergency or pressing family obligation and you wish to transfer to a home state school. I hate my school, or I hate OMM, or I hate having the DO title behind my last name isn't a legitimate reason.
Now the hardest part is having your dean to sign off the transfer in a good term and they usually won't or leave appalling comments that will ruin the transfer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
what makes schools (especially DO) hesitate to take transfers? If there is space, wouldn't you rather fill it than have a vacant spot with no tuition being paid?
I think DO schools simply cannot take transfer students unless coming from another DO school because of the OMM requirements. That said, grabbing a student from another DO school without extenuating circumstances is a good way to build bad blood between programs. It's much wiser to lose potential income of 1 student than gaining a negative reputation.

Hi all,

I haven't heard of transfers between DO and MD, but you could quit your DO program, retake the MCAT and apply MD. If you do this, I'd suggest backing it with a damn good story in your essays. You might even get accepted to a US MD school, but there are no guarantees.

Most of the advice in here is rubbish. No, you don't need to quit your DO program, retake the MCAT, and apply MD. There are many examples of individuals transferring from DO schools (PCOM, TCOM, XCOM, etc) to MD schools like Tulane, GW, UT Houston, etc. It's possible. Objectively, it's highly unlikely. But if you have all the right circumstances lined up, it's arguably somewhat likely.

What needs to happen?

1. The school you are transferring to needs to have an open slot. This means that one of their students dropped out, opening a seat in their corresponding medical school class. That school will also need to have a transfer policy.
2. You need a legit reason. For example, you are applying to be closer to your spouse or have had a death in the family and need to be closer to home to support the family emotionally. There are other reasons, too, but anything less might diminish the goodwill between you and your medical school dean.
3. Your dean will obviously approve on any transfer attempt if the circumstances are truly extenuating, such as marriage or family death.

In almost every case, transfer requests are a matter of student well-being and NOT DO vs MD. It doesn't seem like your reasons are sufficiently qualifying.

Most of the advice in here is rubbish. No, you don't need to quit your DO program, retake the MCAT, and apply MD. There are many examples of individuals transferring from DO schools (PCOM, TCOM, XCOM, etc) to MD schools like Tulane, GW, UT Houston, etc. It's possible. Objectively, it's highly unlikely. But if you have all the right circumstances lined up, it's arguably somewhat likely.

What needs to happen?

1. The school you are transferring to needs to have an open slot. This means that one of their students dropped out, opening a seat in their corresponding medical school class. That school will also need to have a transfer policy.
2. You need a legit reason. For example, you are applying to be closer to your spouse or have had a death in the family and need to be closer to home to support the family emotionally. There are other reasons, too, but anything less might diminish the goodwill between you and your medical school dean.
3. Your dean will obviously approve on any transfer attempt if the circumstances are truly extenuating, such as marriage or family death.

In almost every case, transfer requests are a matter of student well-being and NOT DO vs MD. It doesn't seem like your reasons are sufficiently qualifying.

I would not say most of the advice here is rubbish. The OP clearly stated that he is concerned about his future as a DO and having to explain what it means to be a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine. As you mentioned, extenuating circumstances are typically present for these transfers. Most of the other posters never said it wasn't possible, just that it is highly unlikely given the reason. I specifically mentioned the case of the Dean in TX attending a Caribbean medical school to obtain his MD after he had obtained his DO. It would seem that in the OP's current position, his only LIKELY way of obtaining an MD is to either drop out and reapply through AMCAS or apply to a Caribbean MD school and see if they would accept him as a transfer. I'm assuming, though, that this would ultimately show up on the first page of his MSPE. I am not a program director but in the absence of extenuating circumstances, they would probably not look favorably on someone that left a USDO program to pursue a Caribbean MD. That's only my opinion.

I would bet that most Deans at DO schools would not be too pleased to see a request for transfer due to degree insecurity. Once again, just my opinion.

So do your residency somewhere else and move to Boston after you are done.

What needs to happen?

Lots of them have changed their policies to either no more transfers, only from LCME-accredited schools, or any allopathic Carribean/no osteopathic students. I checked Tulane, GW, Drexel, Buffalo, etc. The MSAR might list all schools who still allow transfers. BTW, Drexel still allows DO transfers for 3rd yr with equivalent courses.

Last edited:
We had a dude that got kicked out during 3rd year from our DO school for ethical stuff and got his MD and matched into residency from the Caribbean without missing a beat. I don't know the details of how he pulled it off.

We had a dude that got kicked out during 3rd year from our DO school for ethical stuff and got his MD and matched into residency from the Caribbean without missing a beat. I don't know the details of how he pulled it off.
He must have paid cash for the Carib school. Money always talks.

For what it's worth, in a year and a half of residency I have had to explain what a DO is exactly 0 times to patients. When you walk in and say Hi, I'm Dr. MiaMia they either accept you as the Dr. Or they assume you are a nurse (even if you say Dr., if you are female).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 6 users
I'm gonna be that guy and straight up say you are NOT going to match residency in Boston. It is ridiculously hard even for MDs. Just get over it. Move wherever you want after residency.

The caveat is you may have a shot if you go for something very noncompetitive like psychiatry.

It's a huge red flag that shows a lack of foresight and personal intuition.

You weren't successful in getting an acceptance to a MD program last cycle. The only thing that's changed between then and this (or realistically) next cycle is that you're now a medical student, which ironically makes you less qualified as a premed.

Your best bet is to study your butt off and be a rock star DO. Grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but it gets you fed just fine on our side, too.

And for any premeds perusing this thread: this is why you should be 100% sure you're okay with DO before you matriculate (preferably, before you apply).

Reactions: 8 users
And for any premeds perusing this thread: this is why you should be 100% sure you're okay with DO before you matriculate (preferably, before you apply).

I 100% disagree with this. There is no way for premeds to know what they're getting themselves into. Until you've pretended to feel the CSF rhythms for a competency or tried to demonstrate and explain to your parents/friends what a pedal pump is, there's no way for you to know how much of your professional integrity you're going to have to give up for this. You google osteopathic principles and what do you find? The body is structurally and functionally connected and DO's try to let the body heal itself. Sounds peachy, right? Who would ever disagree with that?

I don't blame anybody one bit for quitting because half of OMM is unsubstantiated BS, but nobody does because there's money at the end of the tunnel. I'll say that if you quit because OMM is BS, you're one of the few of us with real cajones.

However, in the context of this post, yeah you can't just decide that you want to change the two letters at the end of your name after going down the easy route.

You weren't successful in getting an acceptance to a MD program last cycle. The only thing that's changed between then and this (or realistically) next cycle is that you're now a medical student, which ironically makes you less qualified as a premed.

Your best bet is to study your butt off and be a rock star DO. Grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but it gets you fed just fine on our side, too.

Agreed. Additionally, you are potentially taking a seat away from someone who really wants to be there.

I 100% disagree with this. There is no way for premeds to know what they're getting themselves into. Until you've pretended to feel the CSF rhythms for a competency or tried to demonstrate and explain to your parents/friends what a pedal pump is, there's no way for you to know how much of your professional integrity you're going to have to give up for this. You google osteopathic principles and what do you find? The body is structurally and functionally connected and DO's try to let the body heal itself. Sounds peachy, right? Who would ever disagree with that?

I don't blame anybody one bit for quitting because half of OMM is unsubstantiated BS, but nobody does because there's money at the end of the tunnel. I'll say that if you quit because OMM is BS, you're one of the few of us with real cajones.

However, in the context of this post, yeah you can't just decide that you want to change the two letters at the end of your name after going down the easy route.
I think this is a little extreme. It may be a bit easier to get into DO school but once there, learning all the omm is extra time in class so in my opinion, that coupled with the fact that DO students have to work harder to get the same recognition as an MD student, make DO school in some sense more difficult than MD school. And while there are some omm techniques that are questionable at best, there are others that are definitely useful, especially for treating musculoskeletal pain and stiffness. To say otherwise is throwing the baby out with the bathwater. In addition, no one quits not because there's money at the end of the tunnel, but because even if you don't believe omm is useful, it's a small component of what we learn in school and what we do as modern physicians, unless you make it your specialty. At the end of the day, when you graduate, you are not osteopathic doctor so and so, you are just doctor so and so, and as such you can tailor your career to what you want, and are able to achieve.

What year of school are you in? Honestly, do you believe anyone on SDN can give you the best answer? Email some MD schools and see what they say. Or, look at the FAQs on their websites and see if this question has been asked before.

Anecdotal: I don't know of anyone that transferred from DO to MD. There is that Dean in TX that got his DO and then went to Ross to get his MD. Like 68P said, I bet SGU or Ross would easily allow you to obtain an MD. Good luck!

My cousin's husband transferred from DO to MD, and he's currently an interventional radiologist. I never really thought about it being that rare, not that I thought it was easy to begin with.