Transferring to a "worse" undergrad college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

letsgetit

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am currently a sophomore at Emory University. I have performed OK here so far (3.55 GPA, 3.3 science GPA).

Recently, I have felt that my mental health has been decreasing as the stress of being a pre-med student at a competitive pre-med college such as Emory. Currently I am debating whether to take a leave of absence for one semester to re-group, or to transfer back home to the University of Minnesota, and re-take the required science classes to do better.

Can anyone let me know how transferring to a worse undergrad insitution looks to med schools? How does taking a leave of absence look? Will I have to be explaining either extensively in my interviews/personal statement? Any comments are appreciated, thanks.
 
I don't think it's a big deal if you transfer. But I also don't think taking a semester off will help much (though obviously I don't know exactly what you're going through). I took a semester off for reasons unrelated to yours, and if anything it has made this semester harder. If you do take a semester off, you should probably use that time to improve your application in other ways, e.g. volunteering and clinical experience.
 
UMinnesota is no Emory, but it's definitely not a bad school in itself.

Put your mental health first, that's an issue that takes precedent over the prestige of your undergrad.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you don't apply to a top tier medical school, it won't make a difference where you completed your college degree. I left NYU undergraduate with a 2.5 GPA, went to a local city college and got a 3.3 GPA there and was accepted back into NYU Dental school this year with a 2.69 GPA. I don't know if there is any carry over from dental admissions to medical admissions, but you have this as a reference point.
 
Do you think transferring back home will help your mental health? That is something you should explore with a counselor/therapist. I think your mental health is more important than anything else, and I am not sure switching colleges will help you.
 
Thank you all for your concerns about my mental week-being. I have been seeing a therapist and have had two sessions so far, it has helped immensely. I believe that either taking a leave of absence or transferring back home to be surrounded by more friends and family will indeed improve my mental health, as I have struggled to make close friends at Emory. My question was more directed at which option would be less of a "red flag" to med school ADCOMS.
 
Thank you all for your concerns about my mental week-being. I have been seeing a therapist and have had two sessions so far, it has helped immensely. I believe that either taking a leave of absence or transferring back home to be surrounded by more friends and family will indeed improve my mental health, as I have struggled to make close friends at Emory. My question was more directed at which option would be less of a "red flag" to med school ADCOMS.

Hard to say. Can you tell us more the reasons you are having trouble building a support system in Emory? If you want to take a leave of absence, how would you like to spend your time?
 
Thank you all for your concerns about my mental week-being. I have been seeing a therapist and have had two sessions so far, it has helped immensely. I believe that either taking a leave of absence or transferring back home to be surrounded by more friends and family will indeed improve my mental health, as I have struggled to make close friends at Emory. My question was more directed at which option would be less of a "red flag" to med school ADCOMS.
Not an expert on this, but I suspect the transfer would have hardly any impact while the absence would require explanation, which may be a weakness in your application. It might make them wonder "If (s)he couldn't handle these issues in undergrad, can (s)he in med school?"