This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tiredmedgirl

Reaction score
Hey all! I am a current first year student at a Caribbean school and I was thinking about transferring to SGU for my second year. Is this possible? I submitted an application when I was originally applying to schools but got accepted into my current school before I heard back and they ended up needing more documentation so I ended my application process. Does anyone know anyone who has done this or has any advice? Also please do not post about the cons of off shore schools, I have weighed them all when I was originally applying. I am aware of them. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all! I am a current first year student at a Caribbean school and I was thinking about transferring to SGU for my second year. Is this possible? I submitted an application when I was originally applying to schools but got accepted into my current school before I heard back and they ended up needing more documentation so I ended my application process. Does anyone know anyone who has done this or has any advice? Also please do not post about the cons of off shore schools, I have weighed them all when I was originally applying. I am aware of them. Thanks!
If you are in a school now that required less than sgu did, then yes, getting to sgu is likely a small step up

Reactions: 1 users

Never heard of anyone transferring here right now, but seems like it may be possible. I would honestly tell you that it would be a huge change coming into SGU your second year. But if you can adjust super fast to the way things run here then you might be ok...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-21 at 9.28.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-21 at 9.28.37 PM.png
    281.2 KB · Views: 251
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
SGU isn't going to let you transfer in for the second year. Every school has a different curriculum and you learn things at different times. You would absolutely miss chunks on information if you transferred from one school to another in the middle of the basic sciences.

Your 2 options are,
1. Drop out of your current school now and apply to other schools as a fresh student.
2. Stay at your current school and try to transfer once you've completed the basic sciences and passed step 1, but before you've started clinical rotations.

Reactions: 1 user
Transferring between different Caribbean medical schools is difficult, and not recommended. They have different curriculum, so depending on the transfer point, it can really disadvantage you. If the transfer process seems simple, you are gambling your future.

-Number 1, transferring in the Caribbean medical school system is a major red flag. Major. More often than not, starting over is your best bet. Any time you transfer, you are cutting the chances of matching by a great degree. Only step scores will save you. ( and you better outscore US MD's or have connections).

-If you must transfer, first half/basic science/pre-step 1 transfers will not be your friend. If the curriculum and classes are done at different semesters, etc. you will almost certainly be re-doing classes. If your school is that bad, and you really want to transfer, you need to accept this.

-If you are looking to transfer right before taking the Step 1, you almost absolutely will be retaking the schools prep course. If a school will certify you for the Step 1 straight out, don't bite. Any school worth their salt will want to know about you as a student before they let you sully their Step 1 pass rate. If they take you with no resistance they are hurting for money.

-Clinical Transfers - These are always risky. Transferring at this point either means the school is beyond help or the student has major issues, and more often then not the student IS the issue. How a student behaves during clinicals is a representation of the school itself. Caribbean schools have contracts that are by no means as encompassing as major US medical schools. Bad behavior by one student can risk the relationship.
At this point, students from MD1 are fully supported by the school, but transfers are a risk. If the school does not take interest in who you are, interview you, take interest in who you are, RUN. Once again, they are hurting for money.

-If a school is trying to steal you from your current school, offering ridiculous benefits, like free semesters, no transcripts (!) required, AVOID AVOID AVOID. I don't know why this needs to be said, but these are bottom feeders who will more than likely take everything you have left and give you nothing in return.

I know I'm late to answer this but if you're still looking at your transfer options, or if anyone else is looking for info about transferring, Here are some details that may help you make a decision. But please remember that in transferring you are likely swapping the problems at your current school for new problems at another. In my opinion, transferring is risky and should only be undertaken as a last resort.

Don't bother transferring from one Caribbean basic sciences program to another unless you are in dire straights.

Switching to a school that qualifies for student loan funding because you can't afford tuition without it would be an example that fits here. Of course you should have secured funding before starting but I've seen this happen. I might get piled-on for saying that, but I'm just saying it happens and that if a students funding falls through, they need real solutions, not blame for getting themselves into the situation in the first place.

Transferring after basic sciences but before clinicals is less problematic in the sense that you will not have to adjust to a new curriculum or play catch up with your basic sciences courses. I can think of a couple reasons why a student would consider transferring after completing basic sciences. First would be to do their rotations in a specific state or have options for rotations in Canada. If this is your reason, then ask your school if there's a possibility to get rotations in your desired location. You may be happy with what can be achieved and decide to stay with your school. Second, is if you want to level up to a more prestigious Caribbean school or a stateside school. If this is what you want to do, then crush your USMLE and apply to these schools. If you transfer to a stateside school, you get the benefit of not being officially listed as an IMG and you get the increased chance of matching that comes along with that.

Good luck with your studies.

Transferring between different Caribbean medical schools is difficult, and not recommended. They have different curriculum, so depending on the transfer point, it can really disadvantage you. If the transfer process seems simple, you are gambling your future.

-Number 1, transferring in the Caribbean medical school system is a major red flag. Major. More often than not, starting over is your best bet. Any time you transfer, you are cutting the chances of matching by a great degree. Only step scores will save you. ( and you better outscore US MD's or have connections).

-If you must transfer, first half/basic science/pre-step 1 transfers will not be your friend. If the curriculum and classes are done at different semesters, etc. you will almost certainly be re-doing classes. If your school is that bad, and you really want to transfer, you need to accept this.

-If you are looking to transfer right before taking the Step 1, you almost absolutely will be retaking the schools prep course. If a school will certify you for the Step 1 straight out, don't bite. Any school worth their salt will want to know about you as a student before they let you sully their Step 1 pass rate. If they take you with no resistance they are hurting for money.

-Clinical Transfers - These are always risky. Transferring at this point either means the school is beyond help or the student has major issues, and more often then not the student IS the issue. How a student behaves during clinicals is a representation of the school itself. Caribbean schools have contracts that are by no means as encompassing as major US medical schools. Bad behavior by one student can risk the relationship.
At this point, students from MD1 are fully supported by the school, but transfers are a risk. If the school does not take interest in who you are, interview you, take interest in who you are, RUN. Once again, they are hurting for money.

-If a school is trying to steal you from your current school, offering ridiculous benefits, like free semesters, no transcripts (!) required, AVOID AVOID AVOID. I don't know why this needs to be said, but these are bottom feeders who will more than likely take everything you have left and give you nothing in return.
I don't understand your reasoning here you say it would be better to start over at another school then have advanced standing at another school?

Wouldn't it be a red flag if you restarted from the beginning at a TOP 4 Caribbean school vs being placed ahead or equivalent to what you've done?

Hi! Did you ever end up transferring?