Transferring UK Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medico290

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are attrition rates like at UK medical schools?

Is it possible to transfer from one UK medical school to another UK med school?

Theoretically it should be possible because if students leave a programme the universities will want to replace them (and therefore their fees).

I'm talking about transferring just before the start of clinical years.

Members don't see this ad.

It happens. For example St. Andrews Medical school only lasts 3 years and then you complete an organized transfer to Manchester's Medical school or another Scottish Medical school (Edinburgh, Glasgow, Dundee, Aberdeen) for your clinical years. Very few St. Andrews students transfer into programs at other medical schools in the UK after their pre-clinical years but the ones that do need to be top of their class. Cambridge and Oxford's medical programmes graduate more students pre-clinical than there are clinical spots. Many of those students go to London medical schools to complete their clinical training. I'm sure its possible for Home/EU students to transfer but I'm not too sure if Internationals are allowed to transfer. I wouldn't bet on it

These examples are not the same thing as transferring. Transferring is exceptionally rare, absolutely do not count on it happening.