Transferring

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sgilley

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to a medical school in another part of the state. The only problem is that I have a son who will be a junior in high school next year and he will be very disappointed to have to change schools at this point. There is another medical school within commuting distance, but I was not accepted there. Does any one know about the possibilities of transferring to another medical school after the first year?

Members don't see this ad.

Inquire within that particular medical school that you wish to transfer into... Some medical schools allow transfers after 1st or 2nd years, so see what they say & require!! Good luck to you!!!
biggrin.gif

Rob
WesternU/COMP MS II

Some schools are very open to transferees (most are) and some are adamently against it. The above advice is correct...contact each school individually. The applications come out around Feb at the earliest and deadlines are usually around June. Personal reasons (ie. a child) are the BEST reasons to transfer. Good luck to you.

By the way, some students decelerate into a 5 year program after their freshman year. That opens up spaces (about 5 or so) in the second year class.

I don't know if that's how things are done in US schools, but that's how things were in St George's in Grenada....but nobody transferred in, to my knowledge.
smile.gif