transitional or prelim

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

conure

Master Distiller
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
wondering how you decided to do transitional or prelim medicine year PGY1. Did you apply to both and then decide or did you know it was one or the other from the start?

TIA

Members don't see this ad.

conure said:
wondering how you decided to do transitional or prelim medicine year PGY1. Did you apply to both and then decide or did you know it was one or the other from the start?

TIA

I applied to both transtionals and prelim medicines....and I was planning on ranking the transitionals first mostly, then the prelims...because I wanted a broad exposure to clinical medicine/scut work.... :laugh:

Seriously...I think transitional is the way to go because you get a little exposure in everything and after the 3 required internal medicine rotations during my internship I was DONE....no way could I have done 7 or 8 months of medicine in a prelim year. And it seems to go by relatively quickly....

I started out on Peds, and after 8 weeks, never doing Peds again...onto Ob/Gyn....then Medicine...so I felt like I was getting through it than if I was on my 3rd out of 8 medicine months.

Just my opinion.....but I would do a transitional year again if I had to....but I am thankful that I won't.

Is it possible to do surgery in your prelim?

Members don't see this ad :)
lakersfan said:

Sure. If you want to.

Let me get this straight, students who have done an internship year, rotating through int. med, surgery, peads and ob-gyn, can jump into radiology without a prelim year?

If so, is it also applicable for international students who have taken their internship in non-US hospitals?

KB_Xiii said:
Let me get this straight, students who have done an internship year, rotating through int. med, surgery, peads and ob-gyn, can jump into radiology without a prelim year?

If so, is it also applicable for international students who have taken their internship in non-US hospitals?

I have no idea what you are asking above. You do an internship year BEFORE you start radiology residency. You almost always apply for both the internship and the advanced radiology spot at the same time...during your 4th year. Your internship might be at the same place that you will be doing radiology or it could be halfway across the country...or completely across the country.

You have basically three choices when it comes to internship..a Transitional Year in which you rotate through basically every discipline kind of like 3rd year of med school...IM, Peds, Ob, Surg, ER, etc. or you can do a Preliminary year in Medicine or Surgery in which most of what you do with be internal medicine stuff or general surgery stuff. You aren't in the OR really when you do your gen surg prelim year...you are handling post-op/pre-op patients on the floors.

Years ago the internship wasn't required by the American Board of Radiology (I think that's the governing body), but now it is...so you have to do some kind of internship. There are a few programs that have a linked internship so when you match you'll be at one place for 5 years. You can't just start radiology residency anymore right after residency.

Well although you had no idea what I was asking above, you gave me a very fulfilling reply :)

Thanx Vince, you cleared a misconception I had..

Actually, if you have already done extensive clinical training abroad, you can petition the ABR to have the internship requirement waived. Doing an internship in the US system is a good idea bc it allows you to understand the often bizarre workings of a US hospital from the 'other side'. However, if you come from abroad the ability to jump directly into a radiology spot (if one opens up in the middle of the year) can be beneficial.

Yes.

If you are convinced that you will go into IR, a surgical prelim is not a bad idea (many people will argue that a surgical prelim is allways a bad idea) . You will learn to take care of surgically ill patients, skills that are much more useful later on than the skills you pick up in medical internship.
Most nondesignated surgical prelims are scut-o-ramas with little teaching and excessive time requirements. Many surgical residency programs use their nondesignated prelims to staff the ICUs and other punitive rotations. Some nondesignated surgical prelims are fair and you get the same rotations as the categorical interns or the designated prelims. Make sure you talk to someone who has done a particular prelim before you consider it.

How about a peds prelim year if you think you want a peds fellowship after residency?

f_w said:
Actually, if you have already done extensive clinical training abroad, you can petition the ABR to have the internship requirement waived. Doing an internship in the US system is a good idea bc it allows you to understand the often bizarre workings of a US hospital from the 'other side'. However, if you come from abroad the ability to jump directly into a radiology spot (if one opens up in the middle of the year) can be beneficial.

Yes.

If you are convinced that you will go into IR, a surgical prelim is not a bad idea. You will learn to take care of surgically ill patients, skills that are much more useful later on than the skills you pick up in medical internship.
Most nondesignated surgical prelims are scut-o-ramas with little teaching and excessive time requirements. Many surgical residency programs use their nondesignated prelims to staff the ICUs and other punitive rotations. Some nondesignated surgical prelims are fair and you get the same rotations as the categorical interns or the designated prelims. Make sure you talk to someone who has done a particular prelim before you consider it.

How about a peds prelim year if you think you want a peds fellowship after residency?

After your peds radiology rotation you will swear off any thought you ever had about going into peds radiology. Then, your peds internship will be just a year of wasted time.

f_w said:
After your peds radiology rotation you will swear off any thought you ever had about going into peds radiology. Then, your peds internship will be just a year of wasted time.

Why?

conure said:

My guess is that it can be very arduous and depressing work?

Applied to both TY and prelim surgery years (didnt want anything to do with a medicine year). Ended up going with the TY year for a couple of reasons: more reasonable schedule, elective rotations (i.e. no call and chances to work in rads), research opportunities.

More and more people are telling applicants not to kill themselves during their intern year as so little of it ends up being relevant to their ultimate career.

Because pediatricians are incredibly immature needy and whiny radiology customers.

I swear, if I have to sit through another peds-radiology conference, I rather drill a hole in my head if that helps me to get out of it. No other specialty can steal as much of your time with their insisting on irrelevant details and stroking of otherwise unstroked egos.

(A surgeon will either A. follow your interpretation and yell at you later if you where wrong or B. ignore it. But he won't take an hour out of your day trying to convince you that this is reactive airway disease and not asthma or some other irrelevant detail.)

I did an FP internship and I'm starting Rads this summer, 2 of my classmates from Med School also matched Radiology with an FP year so, even though it's not the "norm", it can be used.

I think I'd prefer the transitional pathway as well!