Transmission of step 2 scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxfudd

1K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is everyone's take on transmitting step 2 scores through ERAS? I'm happy with my step 1 score and don't want to ruin anything with a bad step 2 score. Problem is, I already have registered for the Sept-Dec eligibility period. I figure that my options are:

1) Take it in late December and not automatically transmit. Scores won't be in until late January when the bulk of my interviews are over, so my interviews won't be affected. Still, will programs be expecting me to manually transmit once the scores are in (and before rank lists are submitted)?

2) Take it in late December and automatically transmit. Again, interviews won't be affected - but if I do poorly, will my rank ultimately be affected?

3) Eat the $50 and push the exam back to the end of January, making it nearly impossible that scores will come back before rank lists are submitted.

Are any of the three options clearly better options, or does it not really even matter?

Members don't see this ad.

rxfudd said:
What is everyone's take on transmitting step 2 scores through ERAS? I'm happy with my step 1 score and don't want to ruin anything with a bad step 2 score. Problem is, I already have registered for the Sept-Dec eligibility period. I figure that my options are:

1) Take it in late December and not automatically transmit. Scores won't be in until late January when the bulk of my interviews are over, so my interviews won't be affected. Still, will programs be expecting me to manually transmit once the scores are in (and before rank lists are submitted)?

2) Take it in late December and automatically transmit. Again, interviews won't be affected - but if I do poorly, will my rank ultimately be affected?

3) Eat the $50 and push the exam back to the end of January, making it nearly impossible that scores will come back before rank lists are submitted.

Are any of the three options clearly better options, or does it not really even matter?

I was happy with my step 1 score and elected to postpone Step 2 until Feb 27th effectively making it a pass/fail test. I highly recommend this strategy if you have a strong Step 1 score, as it takes all the pressure off and your step 2 score can only hurt you.

I am in the same boat, however our school REQUIRES us to take step 2 CK and CS before 12/31/05. Due to scheduling, the latest I can take it is at the end of October. If i dont automatically transmit my scores? how long can I hold out without the programs wanting them? Will most interview offers be made before my scores are ready??

rxfudd said: