Trasnferring Schools Ruin your chances at med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bif

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying this cycle to medical school with above a 3.6 GPA and above a 520 MCAT. I transferred from one undergrad (where I received below 3.0) to another undergrad and have been able to bring my overall gpa up to above a 3.6 (was able to bring up that high because I had some college level classes from high school that transferred over).

Part of the reason I transferred is due to my GPA (it's obvious even without me saying it) and that is mentioned in my AMCAS. I did not however talk about my family reasons for transferring (only did in one secondary). I have already submitted many secondaries without explaining that part. Will I not even get interviews because I transferred? Should I email the schools and explain to them my reason for transferring?

Also, when secondaries ask "do you have any gaps during college" does transferring count in there? I didn't really take any gaps during undergrad. It was continuous, but I just transferred colleges.

@Goro @LizzyM

of course anyone can chime in!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A transfer is not a gap.
There are many reasons for transferring. An adcom might be curious. They might ask in an interview if you haven't described it in detail in the primary or secondary. If you discussed this with an advisor or committee that wrote a LOR on your behalf, it might be addressed in the letter, too.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you get rejected from med school, it will NOT be because you transferred colleges.
To add to this: OP has a strong to very strong upward trend, a decent GPA, and a stellar MCAT. Transferring could simply be explained as discovering you were a poor fit for your first school freshman year. You've already talked about poor GPA as a reason for transferring; if you need to discuss it further, you could say that you were a little immature freshman year and also realized that where you were wasn't the best fit for you. Your stellar MCAT is also a mark in your favor; it puts a lot of doubts about your academic ability - if they ever even existed - to bed. Good luck. Depending on ECs you might well have a shot at top 20s.