Mapi

10+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2004
Status
I have an interview soon and I was wondering how some of you answered the " Why not Medicine?" question without sounding too closed minded about medicine. I have not volunteered/worked in a hospital and so I cannot compare my pharmacy experience with it - and also - if you were a drug what drug would you be and why ? thanks a lot
:luck:

goheel

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
Status
Mapi said:
I have an interview soon and I was wondering how some of you answered the " Why not Medicine?" question without sounding too closed minded about medicine.
2 words, malpractice insurance. Sorry for being closeminded. ;)

pharm13oy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
Orlando, FL
Status
Mapi said:
I have an interview soon and I was wondering how some of you answered the " Why not Medicine?" question without sounding too closed minded about medicine. I have not volunteered/worked in a hospital and so I cannot compare my pharmacy experience with it - and also - if you were a drug what drug would you be and why ? thanks a lot

a good way to answer that question is to say that you feel that as a pharmacist...you can be more involved with patient care in monitoring medication compliance, drug interactions, DURs (drug utilization reviews), and any other medical questions your patients have that were too afraid to ask the doctor. Pharmacy is a very well-respected profession, and you feel privileged to help patients in any way you can. That's what I said on my interview...and it seemed to impress them. i got in. :)

GOOD LUCK on your interview!!!

OP
M

Mapi

10+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2004
Status
Thanks goheel for being very honest - I will try not to say that.

OP
M

Mapi

10+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2004
Status
Thanks a lot Pharm13 - that was very smart - I have some idead now - Thanks again

pharm13oy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
Orlando, FL
Status
Mapi said:
Thanks a lot Pharm13 - that was very smart - I have some idead now - Thanks again

you're welcome. just don't sweat the interview. just be yourself. that's what they are looking for. i'm sure they've been through enough interviews to spot the fakes. so just be yourself.

endlesslove

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2004
USA
Status
here's my unique answer (or at least my TA thought it was pretty unique):

I see MDs as more of problem IDENTIFIERS and pharmacists as more of problem SOLVERS and therefore, pharmacy is a good fit for who I am. I am someone who welcomes challenges and enjoys solving problems.

MDs identify what's wrong with a patient and diagnose them with such and such a disease and then prescribe a medication. Okay, but MDs have had only 1 semester of pharmacology. On the other hand, pharmacists have had 4 years of study on medicine, so they are the true drug experts. They are the true "problem solvers" because they make sure the 1-semester-of-pharmacology-MD accurately prescribes the medication as well as the dosage of the medication based on the patient's weight. Without pharmacists, there'd be a lot more problems...

dgroulx

Night Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
Woodinville, Washington
Status
Pharmacist
I was honest and told them that I didn't want to be woken up at 2am. I also said that I am too old to stay up for 48 hours straight anymore. They laughed and agreed with me.

Caverject

15+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2003
Mapi said:
I was asked that question. I said because I don't want the responsibilities of a doctor. D'OH!! Don't say that!!

touchfish

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
Status
Mapi said:
I told the interviewer that being a phamacist will allow me to find a balance between my career and life... :)

irvinekatie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2004
Status
Since I also have a trick question I'd like to ask everyone, I thought I'd post it in this same thread. I hope it's all right. The questions is: What is a negative aspect or disadvantage of being a pharmacist and what would you do to change it? Thanks!

pharm13oy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
Orlando, FL
Status
irvinekatie said:
Since I also have a trick question I'd like to ask everyone, I thought I'd post it in this same thread. I hope it's all right. The questions is: What is a negative aspect or disadvantage of being a pharmacist and what would you do to change it? Thanks!

This is actually a good question. I feel that the most negative aspect of pharmacy itself is that we are first in line for the patients to complain to when their insurance copays go up each year. Don't be discouraged by their actions...they normally don't receive any notice about changes of that nature. The insurance companies usually rely on the pharmacists to inform the patients of any changes. The only way to change this is to educate the patients. We have to educate them on being more aware of and proactive with their coverage. They have to know that changes are made all the time, and most times...the beginning of the year is a good starting point for changes.

The baby boomers are starting to retire now...so things will only get worse. Educate the patients on what they need to know, to make your work easier. Be compassionate with them. It's so easy these days to be abrasive which only makes matters worse. Good luck everyone!!!

forever27

10+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2005
Status
irvinekatie said:
I am preparing the same question :)
I want to say that is pharmacist should be allowed more authority in patient care instead of the passively filling prescription. I will actively coorperate and discuss with other health team members like physicians to show the importance of the pharmacist, and luckly pharmacist duty is moving towards this direction.