Trouble Putting on Gloves

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ercxi

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this may be a weird thread, but I have a lot of trouble putting on latex or nitrile gloves in labs. I have somewhat sweaty hands and am sure that this is the problem, but nothing I do seems to help. The gloves stick to my fingers and it takes a good five minutes to get them on. Not only is this embarrassing but its a hindrance now and can definitely see it being a hindrance in the future. Does anyone have any advice for me? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
uhhh, practice?

Maybe try the next size up?

Members don't see this ad :)
wipe your hands with paper towels and try again.

otherwise, it sounds like you're trying to get into a size that's too small. this shouldn't be the fight of your life.

Thank you all for your advice. I guess I forgot to mention that using medium gloves the fingers are too long. I'm afraid if I go to a large I will have too much material around my hand. I guess the best advice would just be powder.

I had this problem when I volunteered. There were only large gloves available (and under). However, the gloves were not flexible (didn't have a lot of give) so I could never get them on. Then, one day, I was told to go to the trauma bay and get the XLs. :laugh: If you're transporting patients, changing linens, or doing any general medical care where you don't need tight gloves, go up a size.

You know, I think you shouldn't be a doctor since you can't even put on gloves. There is no way you will score high enough on the MCAT to compensate for that. No way. Quit. Right. Now.

/sarcasm

:D I've had the same problem before. Just try bigger gloves.

The conclusion here seems to be powdered gloves or bigger gloves. I guess I'll try the next size up and see if they get in the way. Thanks everyone.

powdered nitrile gloves are the best. i hate the way latex makes my hand sweat. you can also double glove if you find that one size up is too big on you. good practice for cell culture :thumbup:

Try new hands, consult with a local transplant surgeon maybe they will be able to get you a pair that will fit into medium gloves. Bring some of the gloves along with you so he can size the hand for you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
powdered nitrile gloves are the best. i hate the way latex makes my hand sweat. you can also double glove if you find that one size up is too big on you. good practice for cell culture :thumbup:
That and nitrile gloves smell way better/leave less of a strong odor.

Haha...
I have posted my fair share of pathetic threads, but i think this takes the cake.

My advice would be to not get so nervous that you will not be able to put on the gloves, that is what is making your hands sweat and getting you all anxious. It is like trying to put on a condom when a girl is rushing you...kinda...

OP, is this the approach you're taking for putting the glove on?

duct-oj.jpg

:laugh::smuggrin:

Simple solution: wash your hands more, which is what you should be doing anyway. I usually wash my hands 5-6 times a day with anti-bacterial soap, and more on days that I volunteer at the hospital. I also make liberal use of that hand sanitizer stuff when I am walking through the hospital halls. This has all but totally dried up my hands--I can see the skin cracks and tough dead skin when I look at the back of my hands closely.

You can thank me later.

Simple solution: wash your hands more, which is what you should be doing anyway. I usually wash my hands 5-6 times a day with anti-bacterial soap, and more on days that I volunteer at the hospital. I also make liberal use of that hand sanitizer stuff when I am walking through the hospital halls. This has all but totally dried up my hands--I can see the skin cracks and tough dead skin when I look at the back of my hands closely.
You can thank me later.

This is a good way to pick up a nasty Staph infection. Don't let your skin and cuticles dry up especially in the winter time. As a surgeon, I keep my skin in great condition.

I have very large hands with long fingers (for a woman) and find that the medium gloves are too tight and the fingers are too short. I always wear large or extralarge non-sterile gloves. I hate the powder and thus I dry my hands thoroughly before donning gloves (paper towels work well here). I wear and 8.5 underglove and 8 outside glove when I operate. This works great for me. I also keep a travel sized tube of lotion in my lab coat pocket. Dry chapped hands are dangerous in a clinical setting where Staph can hang out on door handles.

It's funny how spazzy pre-meds can be. I know I have had my moments.

If you think that's embarrassing, you should see how hairy my palms are.

I had this problem when I volunteered. There were only large gloves available (and under). However, the gloves were not flexible (didn't have a lot of give) so I could never get them on. Then, one day, I was told to go to the trauma bay and get the XLs. :laugh: If you're transporting patients, changing linens, or doing any general medical care where you don't need tight gloves, go up a size.

This whole time, I had a mild crush on you, Bacchus...assuming that avatar was a picture of you and all. But now I just feel wrong.

If you think that's embarrassing, you should see how hairy my palms are.

This whole time, I had a mild crush on you, Bacchus...assuming that avatar was a picture of you and all. But now I just feel wrong.

LOL...I think you mean hands?

I think some people may have misinterpreted the intentions of my post. I'm not freaking out about this. Its just a hassle trying to put on gloves and I was hoping for some advice.

well since we're on the topic of glove and hand dryness...

I have this "thing" where after I wash my hands they become very dry for a while and it actually bothers me quite a bit to the point where it's very uncomfortable to use my hands. To rectify this problem in the past, I would lick my fingers... not the best idea.

For the past while, I've been carrying some moisturizing lotion everywhere I go and it helps quite a bit. The problem I see is this: for clinicals/clerkships and any time I have to deal w/ patients, is it OK to wash my hands (before examining) and put on lotion right before I go to examine them) It seems like that would be unprofessional.

try "double gloving" that way if u take of the gloves, u can put the other set back on really easily, now how u get the first set in, i ll use powder

Is this really a big deal. If my doctor cannot learn how to put on his F****** gloves then I am not sure he is the right doctor for me.

In case you're panicked about how this might impact your career as a clinical med student/ possible surgeon, don't. The OR gloves are much nicer than the cheap S/M/L/XL ones, which I happen to hate. I'm freakishly proportioned (5'8", wear size XS gloves-- double 6s in the hospital) and they don't work well for me either. Good hands for plastics though. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.