Trouble with Orgo, should I drop

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrHoosier

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently have a science gpa just below a 3.0, with an overall gpa of 3.1. I am currently doing very well in my classes as a sophomore, except for organic chemistry, which I have a C-/D+ right now.

I am currently trying to decide if I should drop the course or not, which I have to do before the second test, unfortunately. I want to get my science gpa up, and if I don't drop the course and end up getting a B- or lower, it will lower my sGPA once again.

Any one have advice for what I should do? or how to crush my next orgo quiz/test? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I currently have a science gpa just below a 3.0, with an overall gpa of 3.1. I am currently doing very well in my classes as a sophomore, except for organic chemistry, which I have a C-/D+ right now.

I am currently trying to decide if I should drop the course or not, which I have to do before the second test, unfortunately. I want to get my science gpa up, and if I don't drop the course and end up getting a B- or lower, it will lower my sGPA once again.

Any one have advice for what I should do? or how to crush my next orgo quiz/test? :confused:

Orgo just takes time, and lots of it. Floating around a C-/D+ I'd think about waiting until you had a lighter load or easier schedule, unless of course you think you can get a B or better at this point.

If you haven't done so, I would buy Organic Chemistry as a Second Language by David Klein. You can find it on Amazon. Here is the link. OSCL

It will make learning Organic a lot easier.

Srin

Members don't see this ad :)
Orgo is never an easy class. If you think you might have a lighter course load in the future then I would take it then. However if you are going to be getting into heavier course loads then you might want to stay the course. Does your teacher drop any tests?

Drop it, trust me. You want to do well above average in this class in particular. Med schools know the difficulties and judge you accordingly based on your grades. I would drop it and retry when you have sufficient time to dedicate to it. Not only is it important to get a good grade in this class, you should also be using it as an MCAT prep; thus if you are not doing good in it you are going to have to go back later and master the material anyways. Just retake it. Once you get a bad grade there is no turning back. Even if you retake the class and dominate they will see it.

Drop it..With your GPA floating around 3.0, you don't wanna have a poor grade in organic, which is a class that most adcoms scrutinize.

I also forgot to mention that if I do decide to drop, I will receive a W in the course. Is it still a better idea to drop it and take the W? I think my professor drops one of the quizzes but none of the tests. I really cant decide what to do :(

Last edited:
I also forgot to mention that if I do decide to drop, I will receive a W in the course. Is it still a better idea to drop it and take the W? I think my professor drops one of the quizzes but none of the tests. I really cant decide what to do :(

Either way you are going to have to retake the course.. Well not really. If you can get a C and your other grades are absolutely outstanding, you can move on. (I have seen this done many times.) A failing grade is worse than a W I believe. I had both a C in Ochem and a W in Calc II and I am doing fairly well this application cycle. Nothing is fatal.

My lowest grade is a B- (gen chem and calc I). I think I should probably drop it and retake it, possibly this summer, so I can focus solely on orgo. I don't think my grades are stellar enough to just take the C (possibly higher but I'm trying to be realistic), especially with a B- in gen chem.