Trouble with "why this school?" secondary question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

user2992

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having trouble finding specific information about certain schools on their websites to answer this question. Is there anywhere I can find more specific individualized information to put more detail into my answers for this question that I wouldn't find by clicking through the information pages on schools' websites (That generally seem to be very brief)?

Also, how do people generally go about writing an answer to this question? I was basically going to write about specifics related to the school and connect my traits/activities to those specifics, is that the general approach people take?

Members don't see this ad.

There is usually something the school itself heavily emphasizes on their website. Figure out how that special thing relates to your background or career goals and then you should have the foundations of a pretty solid essay. They're not looking for anything revolutionary. They just want to know you know about the school and the two of you are compatable.

use the search bar buddy, this question has been discussed at length before on this forum.

Also its September. If you haven't figured out how to write why you want to go to a school by now, you're probably pretty behind.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, why did you pick that school?
Alternately, What are you looking for in a school? What does that school offer that fits with what you are looking for?

To sum up what everyone said... Google -> That school -> Find bragged programs -> Relate -> Profit

Well, why did you pick that school?
Alternately, What are you looking for in a school? What does that school offer that fits with what you are looking for?

Because they train doctors and I have heard of it
It is in my general vicinity. They offer doctor training.

This is incidentally also how I am choosing residency programs at the moment

Because they train doctors and I have heard of it
It is in my general vicinity. They offer doctor training.

This is incidentally also how I am choosing residency programs at the moment
I'm starting to see a pattern here.

Reactions: 1 user
"because you have an MD program."

100% honest, but somehow also 100% guaranteed to not get you a position.