Trump, Doctors and Taxes.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What's stoping you?
I think if I just send money to the government and ask them to provide it as an incentive to adoptive families, that is unlikely to happen without an actual tax credit written into the tax legislation.

Charity is another thing that I’m happy to provide, but charity is nowhere NEAR enough.

Members don't see this ad.

Indeed, it is ANTI humanitarian to allow what is occurring in Germany and elsewhere to occur, and those advocating such open borders may face war crimes for the future bloodshed that this failed policy is likely to produce in the form of increasingly extreme rhetoric on both the native European as well as the migrant side. We will see.
I’m pretty sure you don’t understand the idea of “war crimes” or international tribunals that deal with them.

Europe is too lenient in its lack of efforts to encourage assimilation. That is a FAR cry from giving someone safe harbor from war zones or extreme poverty.

I think if I just send money to the government and ask them to provide it as an incentive to adoptive families, that is unlikely to happen without an actual tax credit written into the tax legislation.

Charity is another thing that I’m happy to provide, but charity is nowhere NEAR enough.

Oh, I see. You made it sound like you wouldn't support this cause that's important to you unless you were forced to.

You seem very charitable. Why isn't charity enough? What does government have that charity doesn't?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m pretty sure you don’t understand the idea of “war crimes” or international tribunals that deal with them.

Europe is too lenient in its lack of efforts to encourage assimilation. That is a FAR cry from giving someone safe harbor from war zones or extreme poverty.

Assimilation has been almost impossible with levels of education (of most migrants), literacy issues in their own language, literacy deficits in the European language, being marketable for an advanced economy job, sheer numbers of migrants all at once, a high % of males between 18 and 40, crime which comes with all of this, a culture far from most European cultures, a possible unwillingness to fully assimilate on the part of the migrant, and the list goes on.

My point that those EUROPEAN leaders whom have often undemocratically forced this upon the native population are inviting what I think will be inevitable bloodshed when a critical mass hits, and/or assimilation problems remain (likely will for sure). Factor in, at that point, that both sides will eventually become polarized (predictable), and because of the rather predictable outcome, those leaders are not serving humanity. Just the opposite.

Reactions: 1 user
Assimilation has been almost impossible with levels of education (of most migrants), literacy issues in their own language, literacy deficits in the European language, being marketable for an advanced economy job, sheer numbers of migrants all at once, a high % of males between 18 and 40, crime which comes with all of this, a culture far from most European cultures, a possible unwillingness to fully assimilate on the part of the migrant, and the list goes on.

My point that those EUROPEAN leaders whom have often undemocratically forced this upon the native population are inviting what I think will be inevitable bloodshed when a critical mass hits, and/or assimilation problems remain (likely will for sure). Factor in, at that point, that both sides will eventually become polarized (predictable), and because of the rather predictable outcome, those leaders are not serving humanity. Just the opposite.

Your exact line of argument was used was used 200 years ago against the poor assimilators of that time. Just a dang shame we couldn't keep all those ornery people out of 'are country'

Attachments

• No_Irish_Need_Apply_(lyric_sheet_-_female_version).jpg
    No_Irish_Need_Apply_(lyric_sheet_-_female_version).jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 48
Your exact line of argument was used was used 200 years ago against the poor assimilators of that time. Just a dang shame we couldn't keep all those ornery people out of 'are country'
Unfortunately, most Europeans have been in their own countries for about a thousand years, which did not apply to early American colonists, hence America developed as a heterogenous society, while a lot of Europeans still hate diversity to the day. Also, even a century ago, many Americans were running away from European religious and ethnic intolerance. And let's not forget the many kinds of intolerance in American history either.

Hence mixing oil with water in Europe just won't happen, except under pressure, and that pressure will sooner or later cause an explosion. Stupid, stupid, stupid EU leaders! When the pressure is rising too much in a pressure cooker, you turn down the heat. I personally can't stand Orban and his authoritarianism, but I prefer it to the nazi alternative.

Last edited by a moderator:
So basically, if i want and want to be able to deduct the interest....the mortgage better be less the 500k. which for most banks, you house better cost less the 600k. now, outside the most expensive cities in this country that probably isn't a problem. you can likely find a very nice home for well below 600k, but for those of us that live near oceans, we may need to stay put.

So basically, if i want and want to be able to deduct the interest....the mortgage better be less the 500k. which for most banks, you house better cost less the 600k. now, outside the most expensive cities in this country that probably isn't a problem. you can likely find a very nice home for well below 600k, but for those of us that live near oceans, we may need to stay put.

I suspect that if you get a $600K mortgage, 5/6 of the interest paid will be deductible.

My understanding on the issue is that the Irish came over in a very large wave in a relatively short period of time. And, they were undereducated as compared to the "natives". However, they were almost always Catholic, and are Europeans. They came under pressure for a lot of reasons, mostly because of the sheer magnitude of the migration, and it's effect on the labor market (seen as threats). But, at that time, at least there was a large market for reasonably unskilled labor. Otherwise, like today, it would have been worse I imagine.

The Irish situation was not handled well. But, comparing the Irish to the U.S. to North Africans and Middle Easterners to Europe is just silly.

Reactions: 1 users
Unfortunately, most Europeans have been in their own countries for about a thousand years, which did not apply to early American colonists, hence America developed as a heterogenous society, while a lot of Europeans still hate diversity to the day. Also, even a century ago, many Americans were running away from European religious and ethnic intolerance. And let's not forget the many kinds of intolerance in American history either.

Hence mixing oil with water in Europe just won't happen, except under pressure, and that pressure will sooner or later cause an explosion. Stupid, stupid, stupid EU leaders! When the pressure is rising too much in a pressure cooker, you turn down the heat. I personally can't stand Orban and his authoritarianism, but I prefer it to the nazi alternative.

For the most part, Europeans have still not become radicalized. But, just wait when that happens. And whom will be to blame? The migrants? Nope. The liberal, Ivory Tower European elite who should have seen it coming and known better.

Oh, I see. You made it sound like you wouldn't support this cause that's important to you unless you were forced to.

You seem very charitable. Why isn't charity enough? What does government have that charity doesn't?
If you’re honestly comparing the resources, power, and infrastructure of the US government with the average charity, then I’m not sure what to tell you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Back to the Taxes:

As a fiscal conservative I have a hard time with this tax "reform" plan. It drives up the deficit and doesn't really do much for the poor. Even though my taxes would go down by a few thousand dollars per year (? 3-5K) I can't endorse this plan.

Looking ahead to 2020 I see a rout by the Democrats in Congress and likely full control of the govt. by 2022.

Here is your next President of the USA:

Kamala-Harris-Stan-Honda-AFP-Getty-640x481.jpg

Back to the Taxes:

As a fiscal conservative I have a hard time with this tax "reform" plan. It drives up the deficit and doesn't really do much for the poor. Even though my taxes would go down by a few thousand dollars per year (? 3-5K) I can't endorse this plan.

Looking ahead to 2020 I see a rout by the Democrats in Congress and likely full control of the govt. by 2022.

Go Kamala!!

There's still a sizeable portion of Americans that despise diversity despite our so called heterogeneity. Using a thousand year history of having a homogenous culture with a potential for integration problems as an excuse to limit immigration is just that... an excuse. There is certainly a good reason to approach immigration with caution, but the problem is that most (not all) who argue that Turks or Syrians shouldn't move to Germany or France typically couch their argument in some economic or sociological nonsense, when truly their underlying motivation is nothing but unabashed, racist, white ethnocentrism.

Back to the Taxes:

I think this is spot on. If they pass this garbage giveaway to the mega rich the Republican party will have no chance in the midterms because the entire Democrat base will be energized to turn them out.

I had voted Republican my entire life until this last election and will continue to vote Democrat until I see some semblance of sense from the circus in dc.

Go Kamala!!

Kamala Harris, as the California Attorney General, was personally responsible for ignoring a California law, revoking a permit for three rifles I legally owned and possessed in the state of California for several years. This was a shall-issue permit intended for active duty members of the military, stationed in the state of California, as I was. Her office gave me the ultimatum of surrendering them to the police, selling them (which I couldn't because it was illegal to sell them in California), or taking them out of state. Fortunately I had family in Arizona and could remove them from California. Even as I was required, per military orders, to stay in California.

Other servicemembers stationed in California at the time who lacked family outside the state and/or the resources to move their firearms were less fortunate.

When I write about my opposition to firearm registration, because registration always leads to confiscation, it's Kamala Harris I think of first.

I suspect in light of today's mass shooting in Texas you might support her actions. But I will never vote for her for any office, and I will donate time and money to anyone who runs against her. Anyone.

Those of you who favor more gun control often dismiss or laugh at our concerns about registration and confiscation, but Kamala Harris. Has. Actually. Done. It.

Back to the Taxes:

I agree. It's a terrible plan.

My new motto for politics is "nobody knows anything" ...

But whatever happens to the presidency and the Senate, I just can't imagine the structural advantages to the GOP in the House shifting that quickly. And if Trump appoints another Supreme Court Justice, that body will lean conservative for a generation.

Mortgage interest...According to the proposed plan is it an all or nothing deal, or a 5/6th as Blade mentioned. 600K home....nothing is deductible or 5/6th is deductible?

Mortgage interest...According to the proposed plan is it an all or nothing deal, or a 5/6th as Blade mentioned. 600K home....nothing is deductible or 5/6th is deductible?

Just asked my CPA about this, he said currently you are allowed to deduct the first 1.1 million of mortgage interest, anything above that is disallowed. He said it will likely work the same with this bill, except a max of half a million, or wherever that number ends up.
He said existing mortgages will not be affected unless they change that language in the bill.

anybody have a good handle on the implications of the lower corporate tax rate and how it would effect PP?

Looks bad for doctors and lawyers who use an S Corp. We will pay these “pass through wages” as ordinary income.

Last edited:
Kamala Harris, as the California Attorney General, was personally responsible for ignoring a California law, revoking a permit for three rifles I legally owned and possessed in the state of California for several years. This was a shall-issue permit intended for active duty members of the military, stationed in the state of California, as I was. Her office gave me the ultimatum of surrendering them to the police, selling them (which I couldn't because it was illegal to sell them in California), or taking them out of state. Fortunately I had family in Arizona and could remove them from California. Even as I was required, per military orders, to stay in California.

Other servicemembers stationed in California at the time who lacked family outside the state and/or the resources to move their firearms were less fortunate.

When I write about my opposition to firearm registration, because registration always leads to confiscation, it's Kamala Harris I think of first.

I suspect in light of today's mass shooting in Texas you might support her actions. But I will never vote for her for any office, and I will donate time and money to anyone who runs against her. Anyone.

Those of you who favor more gun control often dismiss or laugh at our concerns about registration and confiscation, but Kamala Harris. Has. Actually. Done. It.

With you pgg.
Politics seems to be attracting more extremists, which is just so disappointing to me.

I bet that would be considered a new mortgage.

If true, that would absolutely kill both the real estate market and mortgage business in my neck of the woods.

I think chances of this bill passing are pretty minuscule though.

If true, that would absolutely kill both the real estate market and mortgage business in my neck of the woods.

Agreed, it would be terrible blow to both the luxury markets and high COL areas of the country. Housing just got back on its feet, I have no idea why they would even mess with it. It's not necessary, so many other ways to raise revenue.

Back to the Taxes:

I would like to be so optimistic, but alas I am not. I feel the GOP has rigged the system with the help of corporations and the vast majority of Americans will be screwed for the rest of their lives. The SCOTUS will uphold gerrymandering along a party line vote and the GOP will go on running state legislatures, Congress and the White House as a subsidiary of corporate America. Wealth will accumulate in the hands of a select few and the rest of us will go on hoping something changes.

PS. This tax bill will pass.

Last edited:

and the market in the Eastern neck of the woods too

Kill the market is an huge exaggeration. Put a little downward pressure on the price point of houses in the 700K-1,500,000K range yes. The majority of home sales above that price point are all cash transactions.

Put a little downward pressure on the price point of houses in the 700K-1,500,000K range yes.

This represents the overwhelming majority of real estate within at least 100mi of me.

Back to the Taxes:

Don't bet that far. She should be happy if she can get into the governors office

There's still a sizeable portion of Americans that despise diversity despite our so called heterogeneity. Using a thousand year history of having a homogenous culture with a potential for integration problems as an excuse to limit immigration is just that... an excuse. There is certainly a good reason to approach immigration with caution, but the problem is that most (not all) who argue that Turks or Syrians shouldn't move to Germany or France typically couch their argument in some economic or sociological nonsense, when truly their underlying motivation is nothing but unabashed, racist, white ethnocentrism.

Call it whatever social justice purity signaling term you want. Europeans have the right to deny foreign immigration, just as any other country does.
By the way, if Europeans were so horrible and racist, why is everyone wanting to immigrate to European native lands or majority European settled lands? If whites are so racist.

Ethnocentric eh? We are the only ones who are ethnocentric? Really? You want to go there???

Democrats win big in elections widely viewed as referendums on Trump
  • Democrats won a number of closely watched races on Tuesday, in what some called a referendum on President Donald Trump.
  • Republicans lost races for governorship in Virginia and New Jersey, as well as control of the Washington state Senate.
  • The results were "a backlash to Trump and Trumpism, pure and simple," said University of Virginia political scientist Larry Sabato.

Joe Biden

✔@JoeBiden

A resounding defeat tonight for President Trump. Voters around the country rejected the ugly politics we have seen this past year. Instead, they chose candidates who unite and inspire us.

11:13 PM - Nov 7, 2017

Democrats win big in elections widely viewed as referendums on Trump
  • Democrats won a number of closely watched races on Tuesday, in what some called a referendum on President Donald Trump.
  • Republicans lost races for governorship in Virginia and New Jersey, as well as control of the Washington state Senate.
  • The results were "a backlash to Trump and Trumpism, pure and simple," said University of Virginia political scientist Larry Sabato.

Joe Biden

✔@JoeBiden

A resounding defeat tonight for President Trump. Voters around the country rejected the ugly politics we have seen this past year. Instead, they chose candidates who unite and inspire us.

11:13 PM - Nov 7, 2017

It is customary for the party that wins the White House to take a hit in the following year election and the Congressional midterm elections. What is somewhat different is Trump's historically low popularity.

Northam won big, which polls had suggested otherwise closing on the election. The ads run by Gillespie in the past month were horrendous (claimed Dr. Northam was friend of MS13 and sex offenders....). I was glad to see politics of hate and division lose.

It is customary for the party that wins the White House to take a hit in the following year election and the Congressional midterm elections. What is somewhat different is Trump's historically low popularity.

Were these results comparable to the normal hit, worse, better? It’s not clear to me. Winners always exaggerate the win and losers always downplay the loss.

I can’t say I’d be surprised by Democrat wins in NJ or VA or WA regardless of who’s president.

United States elections, 2010 - Wikipedia

"Approximately 82.5 million people voted.[3] The Democratic Party suffered massive defeats in many national and state level elections, with many seats switching to Republican Party control. Although the President's party usually loses congressional, statewide and local seats in midterm elections, the 2010 midterm election season featured some of the biggest losses since the Great Depression. The Republican Party gained 63 seats in the U.S. House of Representatives, recapturing the majority, and making it the largest seat change since 1948 and the largest for any midterm election since the 1938 midterm elections. The Republicans gained six seats in the U.S. Senate, expanding its minority, and also gained 680 seats in state legislative races,[4][5][6] to break the previous majority record of 628 set by Democrats in the post-Watergate elections of 1974.[6]"

I don't consider this an earned win for the Democrats. Nor do I consider 2016 an earned win for Republicans. More like a viewer changing the channel on the TV because they don't like what's on. Then changing again a few minutes later. Unfortunately we only have a two channel cable package.

Reactions: 2 users
Virginia is historically red, and some of the historically red counties turned blue. But you’re right, Trump lost VA so it’s not big news that Gillespie lost it also. Was rather surprising though that it wasn’t even close.

Well what made VA interesting is the House of Delegates becoming in even in state that previously had an overwhelming GOP control and the fact that most of the GOP Men who lost their seats, lost them to women. That's very interesting given the current political climate, especially since inauguration. VA obviously wanted something different for their state and they went to the polls and showed that. If Trump's approval doesn't improve in the next few months, the 2018 midterms will be interesting.

Well what made VA interesting is the House of Delegates becoming in even in state that previously had an overwhelming GOP control and the fact that most of the GOP Men who lost their seats, lost them to women. That's very interesting given the current political climate, especially since inauguration. VA obviously wanted something different for their state and they went to the polls and showed that. If Trump's approval doesn't improve in the next few months, the 2018 midterms will be interesting.

Anyone going to pay more if the new bill passes? I'm by no means a pro with this but aren't most physicians with a home going to pay quite a bit more in taxes? Loss of mortgage, property, state , local tax deduction > lowered income tax rate. Any silver lining in this?

Call it whatever social justice purity signaling term you want. Europeans have the right to deny foreign immigration, just as any other country does.
By the way, if Europeans were so horrible and racist, why is everyone wanting to immigrate to European native lands or majority European settled lands? If whites are so racist.

Ethnocentric eh? We are the only ones who are ethnocentric? Really? You want to go there???

The west for decades have destabilized these regions. Think Lybia, Syria, Iraq, Iran, the countless South American dictators that the U.S. has propped up. The countless African dictators that the west gave money, weapons and support to fight the commies in the 60's. These are not conspiracy theories.

You lose your right to deny immigration when your country supports these destructive foreign interventions.

If you come into my home and wreck it, you bet your bottom i'm coming to your house and taking a big dump on your floor and raiding your fridge, oh and i'm not cleaning up after myself.

You lack insight into why these refuges are migrating to Europe. If the NATO countries through its Saudi proxy didn't hand out weapons like candy canes on Christmas it wouldn't be in this mess.

get woke it is 2017

Anyone going to pay more if the new bill passes? I'm by no means a pro with this but aren't most physicians with a home going to pay quite a bit more in taxes? Loss of mortgage, property, state , local tax deduction > lowered income tax rate. Any silver lining in this?
Far better question is if ANYONE will pay less other than corporations. This thing is crazy, and now they're trying to repeal individual mandate with no real healthcare plan to follow it up. This is going to go swimmingly. Luckily, I'm pretty certain this thing will never pass.

Far better question is if ANYONE will pay less other than corporations. This thing is crazy, and now they're trying to repeal individual mandate with no real healthcare plan to follow it up. This is going to go swimmingly. Luckily, I'm pretty certain this thing will never pass.

Agree. It’s getting harder to stay a Republican with so many of them acting like morally bankrupt perverts. Might have to go libertarian.

Agree. It’s getting harder to stay a Republican with so many of them acting like morally bankrupt perverts. Might have to go libertarian.
Come on in, the water's fine.

We do have a little bit of a problem with a fringe anarchist wing that worships Ayn Rand, but mostly, we're the sane parts of the secular Republicans and the non-handwringing Democrats. Civil rights (all of them), personal responsibility, smoke or snort or inject 'em if you got 'em, non-interventionist foreign policy, actually small government that's actually fiscally disciplined, what's not to like?

OK, maybe a little too much faith in the free market and the wholesome intentions of corporations. Nobody's perfect.

Reactions: 2 users