trying to cross the border into california

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gotosleep

your friendly neighborhood perioperative physician
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
greetings collegues,

i'm finally a msIV from the caribbean doing my rotations in brooklyn, ny. my focus has been on anesthesiology residencies through out the u.s., though i've been paying particular attention to california, my home state. however, my ultimate goal is to secure a position at a good program, regardless of geographic location (within reason of course). my gpa (>3.5) and step I (234/95) scores are competitive - i am scheduled for step II next month. i also have pretty good letters of rec. unfortunately i lack the traditional garnish cherry-on-top like publications, recent research, etc.

i have been researching programs using various means, looking at university, ivy, private, affiliates programs - and might i add this website is fantastic for any information. but at this point i don't know where i can apply without getting the immediate toss-out due to my not-so-excellent marks and of course the infamous fmg tatoo (did i mention i love california). so.... my run-on question is: do i have chance in california and what other strong programs should i consider in my quest for the residency which will best train me for a future in anesthesiology?

thanks

p.s. shot out to all the residents, especially residentphysician, for your great insight and guidance for everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

gotosleep:

I'm just about to start my internship and will be an anesthesia resident this time next year in sunny CA. As far as your question it seems you have the potential to be extremely competative. Your Step I score is great and so is your GPA. Remember, as far as GPA goes, its a crap shoot since so many schools have different systems. (P/F, H/P/F, A-F etc.) But your's is good and certainly won't raise any red flags. As for the not having any research or publications you might try to get involved in something as your school ASAP (and just for this year). Just a trial in Anesthesia research. You can have it to talk about on your interviews and it will be a good test as to whether or not you want to pursue it when you become a resident or an attending. If you hate it, you can still talk about it at your interviews and believe me, it will get put into your file.
As for the big CA issue, plenty of people come here for residency and there are some top programs out in the west, in every specialty. One of the questions you might be asked is "why do you want to come to California." I know I was asked this at nearly every interview (in Ca and outside as well.) Programs want to know if you are a "long term player," or if you have some ties to the state/location that can keep you around after they finish training you. I guess they figure that they are going to spend a bunch of money on you and want to see if they can hold onto you after they do their spending. Just make sure you can answer that question. I always felt like the programs I interviewed at were looking for the "well rounded candidates" and they did not put too much emphasis on any one thing. So throw your hat in at all the places you would want to spend 4 years and see what happens. I think you'll find that you will do well.

Ca. Dreamin'