California Medical Misinformation Bill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score

Relay the government talking points or lose your license.

Members don't see this ad.

• Dislike
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Too bad it doesn’t apply to chiropractors, naturopaths, and iv vitamin hucksters.

Reactions: 21 users
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This seems like a natural extension of the anti abortion bull**** or gender affirming care stuff the right is pushing. It is either ok to let the government regulate medical procedures and information to whatever political whim is in control or it isn't. Since the right has de facto won every aspect of the culture wars this is the small consolation prize the left gets to have.

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
Oh noes! I can’t spout off nonsense about ivermectin and lies about vaccines! Muh freedumbs!
So if the government decides that ivermectin works and vaccines don't, you are willing to echo whatever they say? It is extremely shortsighted to let someone dictate what you say bc you currently agree. It is also naive to think political winds can't quickly change. If something is blatantly stupid and wrong, it is already considered malpractice. We don't need additional ways to punish or sue physicians. If politicians want more restrictions and punishment, they can start with themselves.

• Care
Reactions: 12 users
So if the government decides that ivermectin works and vaccines don't, you are willing to echo whatever they say? It is extremely shortsighted to let someone dictate what you say bc you currently agree. It is also naive to think political winds can't quickly change. If something is blatantly stupid and wrong, it is already considered malpractice. We don't need additional ways to punish or sue physicians. If politicians want more restrictions and punishment, they can start with themselves.

I keep losing track of where we stand on our love for the government…we love the government when they are forcing women to give birth against their will, but we hate the government when we can’t sell snake oil?

Reactions: 11 users
I keep losing track of where we stand on our love for the government…we love the government when they are forcing women to give birth against their will, but we hate the government when we can’t sell snake oil?
???I will assume you meant me specifically, so I will answer for myself. I am consistently for less government, not more. I never implied or said "I love the government when they are forcing women to give birth against their will" so that is a dishonorable attempt to strawman. That is also off topic and distracting from the current discussion. You could have simply agreed or disagreed with actual input. I have a feeling many conversations end up coming back to abortion for you.

The “government” didn’t. Physicians did. And not the grifting “FrOnTlInE COVID blah blah blah”. Good for them for stepping on the spread of dangerous misinformation from physicians who abuse their position.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
lies about vaccines!

You mean like ""You're not going to get covid if you have these vaccinations" - Joe Biden?

Or

"Our data from the CDC today suggests that vaccinated people do not carry the virus, don't get sick, and that it's not just in the clinical trials, but it's also in real-world data." - Rachelle Walensky ?

Or

"This continues to be a pandemic of the unvaccinated." - Joe Biden?

Or

"We’re making sure health care workers are vaccinated, because if you seek care at a health care facility, you should have the certainty that the people providing that care are protected from COVID and cannot spread it to you." - Joe Biden?

Any of those? Are we still honestly shaming regular citizens for being suspicious of whether something is truly misinformation given how stupendously the public health establishment and prominent political figures shat the bed in communicating with them by refusing to say "we don't know yet we are still asking questions to be sure" and instead went with "we do know, and you asking questions is dangerous and therefore prohibited"?

Reactions: 20 users
???I will assume you meant me specifically, so I will answer for myself. I am consistently for less government, not more. I never implied or said "I love the government when they are forcing women to give birth against their will" so that is a dishonorable attempt to strawman. That is also off topic and distracting from the current discussion. You could have simply agreed or disagreed with actual input. I have a feeling many conversations end up coming back to abortion for you.

Well approval or disapproval of government’s involvement into regulation of anything is a basic philosophical starting point when discussing anything related to the government. I did make a leap when I assumed you would be pro-involvement of government in decisions related to a woman’s uterus, but given how easily discernible lines are drawn these days, I don’t think it was a far leap. It’s disingenuous to say that government restricting a practitioner’s ability to prescribe treatments that are outside of standards of care is not at all philosophically related to a government’s ability to restrict medical decision-making between a patient and her physician.

However, in regards to the specific topic here, this just seems like attention seeking behavior by a politician and will be used as annoying media talking points by both liberal and conservative news outlets depending on how they want to spin it. All states require physicians to be licensed by the state’s medical board. All medical boards can restrict or suspend the license of a physician practicing outside of standards of care. That’s nothing new. This is just drawing a spotlight to COVID or vaccine misinformation, but the ability of the medical board to suspend a physician license always existed. Much ado about nothing. Direct your outrage elsewhere.

Reactions: 1 users
COVID is so politicized it's becoming a weird cult on either end of the spectrum. The medical board can already discipline members for generally unprofessional conduct - I don't see the point in adding in something in specifically for COVID. This opens the door to governmental weaponization of medical boards to enforce a viewpoint. Depending on your state you could very well have the board empowered to punish pro-abortion or anti-abortion physicians for example, with a similar bill. Similarly if you're in a pro-orange state you might be legally compelled to respect the powers of ivermectin, Clorox, and my-pillow. Versus in California you'd probably be punished for promoting any of that. Gender-affirming surgeries will be another potential flashpoint.

It's best for the medical boards not to be involved with discipline for any of these topics and viewpoints. We should leave medical board discipline to be a more generalized matter.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
You mean like ""You're not going to get covid if you have these vaccinations" - Joe Biden?

Or

"Our data from the CDC today suggests that vaccinated people do not carry the virus, don't get sick, and that it's not just in the clinical trials, but it's also in real-world data." - Rachelle Walensky ?

Or

Or

"We’re making sure health care workers are vaccinated, because if you seek care at a health care facility, you should have the certainty that the people providing that care are protected from COVID and cannot spread it to you." - Joe Biden?

Any of those? Are we still honestly shaming regular citizens for being suspicious of whether something is truly misinformation given how stupendously the public health establishment and prominent political figures shat the bed in communicating with them by refusing to say "we don't know yet we are still asking questions to be sure" and instead went with "we do know, and you asking questions is dangerous and therefore prohibited"?

Just another reason why politicians and judges shouldn’t be involved in healthcare decision-making.

Eh, there I go again. I’m so naughty with the straw man attacks.

Or

Or

Or

When those statements were made, they were true.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
COVID is so politicized it's becoming a weird cult on either end of the spectrum. The medical board can already discipline members for generally unprofessional conduct - I don't see the point in adding in something in specifically for COVID. This opens the door to governmental weaponization of medical boards to enforce a viewpoint. Depending on your state you could very well have the board empowered to punish pro-abortion or anti-abortion physicians for example, with a similar bill. Similarly if you're in a pro-orange state you might be legally compelled to respect the powers of ivermectin, Clorox, and my-pillow. Versus in California you'd probably be punished for promoting any of that. Gender-affirming surgeries will be another potential flashpoint.

It's best for the medical boards not to be involved with discipline for any of these topics and viewpoints. We should leave medical board discipline to be a more generalized matter.
Medical boards are political appointees and have already been weaponized. There were multiple states where medical boards wanted to proactively stop physicians from spewing dangerous bull**** only to be told by republucan politicians to absolutely allow that.

Direct your outrage elsewhere.
outrage…???

I actually thought the post I originally responded to was funny with the dum speek frasing and even reacted with lol. Then, I was making a comment that should generally apply to both sides in exhibiting caution before forfeiting our ability to self-police uourselves as physicians. Something we should all be able to agree on. To help find common ground. Not to divide like some comments. I think you are projecting a bit with the “outrage“.

Statements that are false aren‘t true just bc you think they are true. Period. Reminds me of Abraham Lincoln quote to paraphrase- Just bc you count a dog’s tail as a leg doesn’t mean a dog has 5 legs.

Whether they knew they were false or genuinely thought they were true is still unknown.

Reactions: 3 users
Statements that are false aren‘t true just bc you think they are true. Period. Reminds me of Abraham Lincoln quote to paraphrase- Just bc you count a dog’s tail as a leg doesn’t mean a dog has 5 legs.

Whether they knew they were false or genuinely thought they were true is still unknown.
Pithy responses don't change the truth of my statement. Every quote you posted above was factual at the time it was made.

• Dislike
  • Love
This seems like a natural extension of the anti abortion bull**** or gender affirming care stuff the right is pushing. It is either ok to let the government regulate medical procedures and information to whatever political whim is in control or it isn't. Since the right has de facto won every aspect of the culture wars this is the small consolation prize the left gets to have.
The right is pushing gender affirmative care?

Or

Or

Or

Oh man! That Joe Biden should really have his medical license suspended… oh wait, what’s that? He’s not and has never been a physician? Oh yeah.

Anti-gender affirming care. It has replaced abortion as the new object of outrage/boogeyman for them.
I think pushing either way is not ok. It's between the doctor and patient and each case is unique. Shouldn't legislate it either way.

I think pushing either way is not ok. It's between the doctor and patient and each case is unique. Shouldn't legislate it either way.
I agree but the reality we live in is that the right has decided that they can regulate conversations/treatment about abortion and now they have begun to regulate conversations/treatment about gender dysphoria. In this brave new world I see no issue when a left leaning state wants to regulate the conversations/treatment of snake oil.

This one’s tricky. In my roles misinformation is a nightmare and I’m generally in favor of approaches to shut it down. My hope would be that this type of law would only be used in the most egregious cases (ie vaccines contain microchips or will magnetize you) . But I do think it could turn into a slippery slope.

I guess what I would rather see is medical boards authority to deal with these things being protected somewhat from political interference. My home state basically just recently neutered the boards ability to act against snake oil salesman even though it hadn’t tried to take any such action against anyone. Otoh, several boards let some pretty egregious stuff fly, so I don’t know how you fix it. But politicians is usually not the right answer.

This is some serious soviet-level stuff. It may not be factually correct, but it is politically correct, comrade.

Something is either true or it is not. If you think it's true (or want it to be true), and claim it's true (rather than saying we think it's true but are still studying closely to confirm), when it turns out to be false, that doesn't change what reality was. It was always false. You just lied about being sure about it.

Oh man! That Joe Biden should really have his medical license suspended… oh wait, what’s that? He’s not and has never been a physician? Oh yeah.

You're right. He's just the leader of the free world. No biggie. Walensky and Fauci though...

• Dislike
This is some serious soviet-level stuff. It may not be factually correct, but it is politically correct, comrade.

Something is either true or it is not. If you think it's true (or want it to be true), and claim it's true (rather than saying we think it's true but are still studying closely to confirm), when it turns out to be false, that doesn't change what reality was. It was always false. You just lied about being sure about it.

You're right. He's just the leader of the free world. No biggie. Walensky and Fauci though...

And also irrelevant to the bill at hand. But you know, that kinda stuff never matters. Fauci? When did he spread misinformation that was clearly at odds with available data?

When did he spread misinformation that was clearly at odds with available data?

You really want to go down that rabbit hole?

The pearl clutching about people questioning the obvious absurdities of the historical covid narrative is really amazing at this point. Even moderates like myself have moved on from this long ago and can see pretty clearly the political silliness involved. But those waayyyy out there just cannot let it go and will just jump down your throat if you breathe even the slightest criticism, no matter how valid.

You really want to go down that rabbit hole?

The pearl clutching about people questioning the obvious absurdities of the historical covid narrative is really amazing at this point. Even moderates like myself have moved on from this long ago and can see pretty clearly the political silliness involved. But those waayyyy out there just cannot let it go and will just jump down your throat if you breathe even the slightest criticism, no matter how valid.
Didnt you live through the hell of 2020? Did you ever bother walking in to stepdown unit or ICU during that period? Nobody knew what the **** to do 3/2020 it was a fantastic failure at all levels and the CDC did the best that could be expected given the political environment they had to operate under. Also take a look in the mirror--if you are a moderate getting riled up over the spread of misinformation or 'political silliness' of the COVID response which party did you support in 2020 if that was some kind of priority for you? If it wasn't the democrats I think you are much farther to the right of the spectrum than you think given the incredible failure of their ruling party to rise above politics with Trump dropping useless bull**** on a near daily basis and creating more confusion than was needed.

• Love
Didnt you live through the hell of 2020? Did you ever bother walking in to stepdown unit or ICU during that period? Nobody knew what the **** to do 3/2020 it was a fantastic failure at all levels and the CDC did the best that could be expected given the political environment they had to operate under. Also take a look in the mirror--if you are a moderate getting riled up over the spread of misinformation or 'political silliness' of the COVID response which party did you support in 2020 if that was some kind of priority for you? If it wasn't the democrats I think you are much farther to the right of the spectrum than you think given the incredible failure of their ruling party to rise above politics with Trump dropping useless bull**** on a near daily basis and creating more confusion than was needed.

And... there we go. See the last sentence in my post above.

I have no interest engaging this stuff. I deal with it enough from a family member who lets it consume every moment of her life. It's pretty sad to watch.

And... there we go. See the last sentence in my post above.

I have no interest engaging this stuff. I deal with it enough from a family member who lets it consume every moment of her life. It's pretty sad to watch.
Your criticism was what exactly? It was vaguely insinuated that Fauci shouldn't be able to practice medicine. This was based on what exactly? Because in the world I lived in his response was one of the few sane things that happened that year and provided a much needed anchor for the hell the ICU was especially as families got increasingly insane over ivermectin, hydroxychloroquine and all the other bull**** Trump et al started ****ting all over Twitter.

• Love

Something can be true and then later not be. This is especially true with a virus that mutates over time.

Let's go back and dive into this a bit, shall we?

“You’re not going to get COVID if you have these vaccinations.” Biden said this in the summer of 2021. When he said that, delta was the predominant strain. The vaccine was around 80% effective at preventing infection. So will you 100% not get COVID at that point if you've been vaccinated? No. Do you have a very good chance of not getting COVID at that time if you'd been vaccinated? Yes. So Biden's statement wasn't 100% true, but it was close.

"Our data from the CDC today suggests that vaccinated people do not carry the virus, don't get sick, and that it's not just in the clinical trials, but it's also in real-world data." CDC Director said this in March of 2021. At that point that vaccine was 90+% effective at preventing infection. Is that 100%? No. Is it as close as literally any vaccine we have? Yes. So again Biden's statement wasn't 100% true, but it was close.

"This continues to be a pandemic of the unvaccinated." Biden in early 2022. I remember hospital data from that time. 90ish% of admissions were unvaccinated and another 5ish% had not been boostered yet. Those numbers both went up for ICU/vent numbers. So yes, it absolutely was. If not for the high hospitalization rate this wouldn't be a pandemic. Its why we don't have a pandemic of the common cold every year. So yeah, this one is 100% true.

"We’re making sure health care workers are vaccinated, because if you seek care at a health care facility, you should have the certainty that the people providing that care are protected from COVID and cannot spread it to you." Biden in Fall of 2021. This again is one of those "he shouldn't have been absolute in his wording". Vaccines at that point decreased your risk of getting COVID significantly. If you don't get it, you don't spread it. And if you did have a breakthrough case, you were less likely to transmit it than an unvaccinated person getting it. Neither were 100% though.

So one of the 4 was completely true. The other three were mostly true. All he would have to have said instead of absolutes was to put a hedge word in there.

"You are very unlikely to get COVID if you have the vaccine"

"Our data.... vaccinated people are very unlikely to carry the virus or get sick"

"...protected from COVID and are very unlikely to spread it to you".

• Love
Would my license had been suspended for saying I didn’t believe masks stopped the spread of Covid? What about if I said we don’t have enough information on the long term effects of an mRNA vaccine? Both are true statements and both would have likely got me reprimanded by California under this bill.

Would my license had been suspended for saying I didn’t believe masks stopped the spread of Covid? What about if I said we don’t have enough information on the long term effects of an mRNA vaccine? Both are true statements and both would have likely got me reprimanded by California under this bill.
The second statement isn't accurate but letting that go...

Were you aware and as equally upset/concerned over the rules governing abortion discussions (including requiring providers to actually disseminate lies about cancer linkages that don't exist) and the various criminal penalties associated with violating them in more than half the USA? This is not a new concept.

I’m concerned about government overreach which includes abortion rights. They should stay out of medicine regardless of the topic. The practice of medicine is hard enough without politicians and the media driving different truths.

I bet the doctors pushing thalidomide thought they knew it was safe too. I’m not going to go into the vaccine but it’s not as cut and dry as people on this forum make it out to be. That’s all I’m going to say.

I’m concerned about government overreach which includes abortion rights. They should stay out of medicine regardless of the topic. The practice of medicine is hard enough without politicians and the media driving different truths.

I bet the doctors pushing thalidomide thought they knew it was safe too. I’m not going to go into the vaccine but it’s not as cut and dry as people on this forum make it out to be. That’s all I’m going to say.
But we don't live in the version of reality where the government respects physician autonomy. We live in the version where it has been controlling this for many years. I don't want to live in an even crappier world where the government only gets to regulate what the religious far right thinks it should and nothing else which is what would happen if this were struck down.

“misinformation that the licensee deliberately disseminated with malicious intent or an intent to mislead”

That is the language of the bill. Commenting on effectiveness of masking or unknown long term side effects of vaccine would be fine, they are not misinformation, rather debatable, and there is no malicious intent.

Saying something like “taking these vitamins I sell or breathing in low dose hydrogen peroxide in your nebulizer will prevent covid”, like Joe Mercola has been doing, is misinformation that is killing people, and seems to fit the wording of the bill.

• Love
Something can be true and then later not be. This is especially true with a virus that mutates over time.

Let's go back and dive into this a bit, shall we?

“You’re not going to get COVID if you have these vaccinations.” Biden said this in the summer of 2021. When he said that, delta was the predominant strain. The vaccine was around 80% effective at preventing infection. So will you 100% not get COVID at that point if you've been vaccinated? No. Do you have a very good chance of not getting COVID at that time if you'd been vaccinated? Yes. So Biden's statement wasn't 100% true, but it was close.

"Our data from the CDC today suggests that vaccinated people do not carry the virus, don't get sick, and that it's not just in the clinical trials, but it's also in real-world data." CDC Director said this in March of 2021. At that point that vaccine was 90+% effective at preventing infection. Is that 100%? No. Is it as close as literally any vaccine we have? Yes. So again Biden's statement wasn't 100% true, but it was close.

"This continues to be a pandemic of the unvaccinated." Biden in early 2022. I remember hospital data from that time. 90ish% of admissions were unvaccinated and another 5ish% had not been boostered yet. Those numbers both went up for ICU/vent numbers. So yes, it absolutely was. If not for the high hospitalization rate this wouldn't be a pandemic. Its why we don't have a pandemic of the common cold every year. So yeah, this one is 100% true.

"We’re making sure health care workers are vaccinated, because if you seek care at a health care facility, you should have the certainty that the people providing that care are protected from COVID and cannot spread it to you." Biden in Fall of 2021. This again is one of those "he shouldn't have been absolute in his wording". Vaccines at that point decreased your risk of getting COVID significantly. If you don't get it, you don't spread it. And if you did have a breakthrough case, you were less likely to transmit it than an unvaccinated person getting it. Neither were 100% though.

So one of the 4 was completely true. The other three were mostly true. All he would have to have said instead of absolutes was to put a hedge word in there.

"Our data.... vaccinated people are very unlikely to carry the virus or get sick"

You bring up a very good point and I believe it stems from some mis-communication by our public health people. The buzz phrase from the pandemic was " We follow the Science" While technically accurate, many non Science people don't understand medical research and think of Gravity, the speed of light, The Periodic Table, etc., as " Science". Truths, basically carved in stone. Medical Science, for much of it, is Best Evidence to Date. If the CDC and others would have framed their recommendations as this is the best evidence we have to date, then adapting to changing data would have been better received by the general public. As it was, if the " Science" was changing then the perception by non science people is the CDC doesn't know what it's doing. Had they framed their recommendations as Best Evidence, it would suggest that the evidence could change. I'm half way through Debra Birx's book and she says there was lots of bad data from the sketchy, incomplete reporting systems used by the CDC and from around the world. We know what happens when faulty data enters the research study.

You bring up a very good point and I believe it stems from some mis-communication by our public health people. The buzz phrase from the pandemic was " We follow the Science" While technically accurate, many non Science people don't understand medical research and think of Gravity, the speed of light, The Periodic Table, etc., as " Science". Truths, basically carved in stone. Medical Science, for much of it, is Best Evidence to Date. If the CDC and others would have framed their recommendations as this is the best evidence we have to date, then adapting to changing data would have been better received by the general public. As it was, if the " Science" was changing then the perception by non science people is the CDC doesn't know what it's doing. Had they framed their recommendations as Best Evidence, it would suggest that the evidence could change. I'm half way through Debra Birx's book and she says there was lots of bad data from the sketchy, incomplete reporting systems used by the CDC and from around the world. We know what happens when faulty data enters the research study.
I'm not so sure. Even when I explain this to patients I either get a blank look or a "so you're saying they lied to us".

This isn’t even CLOSE to true.

The CDC/NIH was engaged in a political battle and didn’t seem to REALLY care about getting good answers.

Here are some important facts.

# of NIH/CDC funded studies looking at:

1. Health and social disparities of COVID: 254
2. COVID and natural immunity: 1
3. How does COVID virus spread: 4
4. Masks and COVID transmission: 1

IF the CDC REALLY cared about tue truth, they would have told Pfizer -“before we give you any more money, you need to spend maybe 200 million dollars (out of the 100 BILLION you made in 2021) and with well conducted, randomized trials, answer a few important questions about your vaccine and natural immunity, and data on each age group. Retrospective data from Israel’s data in old people is neat and all, but we think here in America, we can’t generalize that data to every age population. Here in the US, we rely on Randomaized trials. We know it is a lot to ask for you to spend less than 1/1000 of your profits from the vaccine and actually proving they work the way you claim - but we would just like you to do that. Okay?”

The CDC could have done that. Pfizer had the time and popoulation to do it.

But the truth was nowhere in the CDCs sights to care about such things.

Last edited:
  • Hmm
I would also like to point out, there isn’t a standard of care regarding Covid.

I would also like to point out that science is gray; public policy is black and white.

It is shocking how many scientists have taken public policy to equal science, and been extremely dogmatic about it. This bill seems to try and make medical information black and white.

This has been a frustrating thread to read.

This isn’t even CLOSE to true.

The CDC/NIH was engaged in a political battle and didn’t seem to REALLY care about getting good answers.

Here are some important facts.

# of NIH/CDC funded studies looking at:

1. Health and social disparities of COVID: 254
2. COVID and natural immunity: 1
3. How does COVID virus spread: 4
4. Masks and COVID transmission: 1

IF the CDC REALLY cared about tue truth, they would have told Pfizer -“before we give you any more money, you need to spend maybe 200 million dollars (out of the 100 BILLION you made in 2021) and through well conducted, randomized trials, answer a few very important questions about your vaccine and natural immunity, and data on each age group. Retrospective data from your Israel’s data in old people is neat and all, but we think here in America that we can’t generalize that to every age population and we rely on Randomaized trials. We know it is a lot to ask for you to spend less than 1/1000 of your profits from the vaccine on actually proving they work - but we would just like you to do that. Okay?”

The CDC could have done that. Pfizer had the time and popoulation to do it.

But the truth was nowhere in the CDCs sights to care about such things.
What in the world are you talking about? Funding studies???? Nobody had time to submit a damn grant application to have it reviewed by the NIH and get it funded then start recruitment etc etc the government research process had no useful role in the pandemic in 2020 because it is so slow. You do remember that the virus hit the Usa in February and 10 months later we had a highly effective and safe vaccine that annihilated its mortality rate right? This was mass produced and distributed within months. It was a modern scientific miracle and it got trashed ironically by the people who actually believe in miracles who apparently didn't even recognize one when it hit them in the nose.

• Love
His wife is though right!?

It is good that you admit they should have not stated things so definitively. However, mandating things was the goal, and that would have undermined that goal.

But you cannot claim that the statement "this continues to be a pandemic of the unvaccinated" is "completely true."
It is not untrue that vaccinated people were still contracting and spreading covid, and a even a small number were ending up in the hospital and dying.
The statement clearly suggests (via the verb "to be", unless you want to go full Bill Clinton and challenge the definition of "is") that unvaccinated people are not part of this pandemic. This was false.

A thought experiment: Would you say the following statement is "completely true": "The AIDS pandemic in the 1980s USA was a pandemic of gay men and IV drug users"? Of course you wouldn't. But why not? AIDS overwhelmingly afflicted gay men and IV drug users. The odds of contracting HIV via male-female or female-female intercourse were extraordinarily lower in comparison to male-male (factually, this is a 1 in 71 chance of contracting via unprotected anal sex vs. 1 in 1250 chance via unprotected vaginal sex - nearly 18X the risk). You might want to think about why it is that you instinctually feel the need to defend these statements.

Something is either true or it isn't. You can't change reality. It can't be "true at the time" simply because you thought it was true. This would be like saying that it was "true at the time in the 1500s to say that the sun revolved around the earth" because that is how it appeared and no one could find evidence to suggest otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Dislike
  • Love
What in the world are you talking about? Funding studies???? Nobody had time to submit a damn grant application to have it reviewed by the NIH and get it funded then start recruitment etc etc the government research process had no useful role in the pandemic in 2020 because it is so slow. You do remember that the virus hit the Usa in February and 10 months later we had a highly effective and safe vaccine that annihilated its mortality rate right? This was mass produced and distributed within months. It was a modern scientific miracle and it got trashed ironically by the people who actually believe in miracles who apparently didn't even recognize one when it hit them in the nose.

The insane party line now is “we’ve learned now covid wasn’t dangerous , we learned we were just all worked up over nothing”

Instead of the reality that vaccines miraculously reduced mortality , saved hospitals, and bought time for less potent variants to evolve. These less potent variants went on to essentially “vaccinate” everyone again , and things are now under control.

Can’t be that science actually worked. Must be that it was never a problem in the first place … told you so!! Truly insane.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
It is good that you admit they should have not stated things so definitively. However, mandating things was the goal, and that would have undermined that goal.

But you cannot claim that the statement "this continues to be a pandemic of the unvaccinated" is "completely true."
It is not untrue that vaccinated people were still contracting and spreading covid, and a even a small number were ending up in the hospital and dying.
The statement clearly suggests (via the verb "to be", unless you want to go full Bill Clinton and challenge the definition of "is") that unvaccinated people are not part of this pandemic. This was false.

A thought experiment: Would you say the following statement is "completely true": "The AIDS pandemic in the 1980s USA was a pandemic of gay men and IV drug users"? Of course you wouldn't. But why not? AIDS overwhelmingly afflicted gay men and IV drug users. The odds of contracting HIV via male-female or female-female intercourse were extraordinarily lower in comparison to male-male (factually, this is a 1 in 71 chance of contracting via unprotected anal sex vs. 1 in 1250 chance via unprotected vaginal sex - nearly 18X the risk). You might want to think about why it is that you instinctually feel the need to defend these statements.

Something is either true or it isn't. You can't change reality. It can't be "true at the time" simply because you thought it was true. This would be like saying that it was "true at the time in the 1500s to say that the sun revolved around the earth" because that is how it appeared and no one could find evidence to suggest otherwise.
Actually that's exactly how I would have described HIV in the 80s.

It's also why MSM are getting monkey pox vaccines and the rest of us aren't yet.

The insane party line now is “we’ve learned now covid wasn’t dangerous , we learned we were just all worked up over nothing”

Instead of the reality that vaccines miraculously reduced mortality , saved hospitals, and bought time for less potent variants to evolve. These less potent variants went on to essentially “vaccinate” everyone again , and things are now under control.

Can’t be that science actually worked. Must be that it was never a problem in the first place … told you so!! Truly insane.
Agree, they came up with very efficacious vaccines for the original disease. We should be happy that current variants seem to cause less severe illness and that vaccines still offer protection from severe disease, not using this to crap on the vaccines.

Here is what I am talking about. Please look a the list that the CDC funded. They cared more about social science then Real science.
Was the vaccine a miracle? Absolutely. That isn’t the point. I think you knew that.

Here are important questions that absolutely could have been funded, approved, and studied in the last two years.

Does infection give the same protection to T-cell memory as the vaccine? What about in different age groups? Does a single vaccine plus infection provide the same benefit, if not more, than two vaccines? Is a booster needed for t-cell memory? (We know it boost antibodies temporarily but that really means nothing in an endemic virus which this is.) Given that the risk of myocarditis has been shown to be greater in young people with vaccinations over natural infection, and with each booster, is there value in boosting, or even vaccinating young people? What is the risk of reducing hospitalization for vaccinating healthy people below the age of 40?

And so many more…..

You seem to want to force an either-or argument.

How long did the original study take to get it approved?

How many multiples of that time frame has it been since it was approved for use?

Last edited:

Nobody (sane) is arguing that covid wasn't dangerous to many people or the vaccines weren't effective in reducing hospitalizations and deaths.
The criticism is about the dogmatic absolute messaging and refusal by health authorities to admit or rigorously study who covid was more dangerous to and how that danger evolved over time due to viral mutations and acquired immunity in the population. Instead they held onto the message that covid was consistently and persistently very dangerous to everybody and mandated lockdowns, vaccines, and masks rather than honestly discussing with the public the data to allow them to make their own risk calculations. This undermined the public's trust and resulted in the insanity about ivermectin and vaccine refusal in the people who actually really needed them the most (obese older people). There is STILL a hesitancy to admit that covid is overwhelmingly more dangerous to people who are morbidly obese, old, and with multiple co-morbidities. Mandating covid boosters in college students? Get out of here.

The refusal of allowing Djokovic into the country to play in the US Open really shows how disconnected from reality and absurd it has become. There is no scientific basis for not letting him play. None. And everyone can see it. They have caused more harm with their refusal to be honest and reasonable in favor of making the focus on compliance regardless how much sense it makes. Having the public's faith in the public health establishment is important and they have destroyed it.

Actually that's exactly how I would have described HIV in the 80s.
It's also why MSM are getting monkey pox vaccines and the rest of us aren't yet.

Interesting. Many people would disagree with labelling both of those pandemics as such because there are small numbers of people getting the viruses other ways and would thus label that statement as false and stigmatizing. With monkeypox, the reluctance by the health establishment to come out and discuss risk factors (again), appears to have resulted in further spread.

Why can we not simply discuss honestly who is more affected and to what degree by infectious diseases so people can make their own choices about how they behave and what they should reasonably worry about? Finding out case and fatality rates broken down by certain age groups and risk factor status early on and even well into the pandemic was very difficult. This was the most important information people needed to know, and you couldn't find it. Just the overall death and case counter on cable news and search engines.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Here is what I am talking about. Please look a the list that the CDC funded. They cared more about social science then Real science.
Was the vaccine a miracle? Absolutely. That isn’t the point. I think you knew that.

Here are important questions that absolutely could have been funded, approved, and studied in the last two years.

Does infection give the same protection to T-cell memory as the vaccine? What about in different age groups? Does a single vaccine plus infection provide the same benefit, if not more, than two vaccines? Is a booster needed for t-cell memory? (We know it boost antibodies temporarily but that really means nothing in an endemic virus which this is.) Given that the risk of myocarditis has been shown to be greater in young people with vaccinations over natural infection, and with each booster, is there value in boosting, or even vaccinating young people? What is the risk of reducing hospitalization for vaccinating healthy people below the age of 40?

And so many more…..

You seem to want to force an either-or argument.

How long did the original study take to get it approved?

How many multiples of that time frame has it been since it was approved for use?
I am very curious as to where you got that list, care to share?

Your initial post said something along the lines of Pfizer made so much money but didn't do any research on vaccine efficacy data beyond the initial studies and retrospective cohorts. How long would those have taken and what would the point have ended up being? You want to know the answers to those questions but it would take years with multiple confounders as the virus mutated to get some good data on it, by then the entire point would have been moot. What would the purpose have been? The vaccine deniers are not going to decide to get vaccinated because Pfizer sunk 100s of millions in to a longitudinal study or do you think they actually would?

It isn't a global woke conspiracy, we were moving with the virus in real time and resources were directed to developing a vaccine, not answering a bunch of academic esoteria that was conjured up after it was found to be highly effective in order to find some way to discredit it in truly the most confusing political decision of all time.