Trying to understand the process..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TSteezy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been extremely fortunate this application cycle and could not be happier with how things have turned out. I'm posting this simply as a means to get a glimpse into the mind of an adcom. I've been accepted at schools I thought I had no chance at, and received pre-II rejections at what I thought were my targets. Could someone shed light on my cycle (again -- no complaints!)

Background:
3.88 cGPA; 3.90 sGPA
513 MCAT
Colorado Resident
Reapplicant
High School Chemistry Teacher
Medical Assistant
Tons of service, minimal research.

Schools & Outcomes:
Michigan - II & Accepted!
U of Colorado - II & Accepted!
Oregon H&S - II & Accepted!
Creighton - II & Accepted!
Tulane - II & Accepted!
Mayo (MN) - II & waiting....
Penn State - II / did not attend
Temple - II / did not attend
Drexel - II / did not attend
VCU - II / did not attend
Brown - Pre-II rejection
Indiana - Pre-II rejection
Georgetown - Pre-II rejection
UCSF - Pre-II rejection
USC - Pre-II rejection
Ohio State - Secondary & silence
Tufts - Secondary & silence
UCLA - Silence.. just silence.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Not an adcom or anything so I doubt my insight would provide any help but just wanted to say congratulations on the acceptances!

Congrat with 5 acceptances! Since you mention you're a reapplicant, what did you do differently in this cycle compared to the last cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrat with 5 acceptances! Since you mention you're a reapplicant, what did you do differently in this cycle compared to the last cycle?

Thank you! I would say the two biggest changes I made between cycles were my personal statement and the time at which I applied. It is ESSENTIAL to submit your application day 1 (especially with a rolling admissions school like Michigan). Last cycle, I didn't submit my primary until the last week of July / most of my secondaries in September. I think that alone made a huge difference about my prospects this year.

:soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::highfive::highfive::highfive::love::love::love::thumbup::thumbup::=|:-)::=|:-)::=|:-)::banana::banana::banana::claps::claps::claps::biglove::biglove::biglove:

The things in bold are what IO believe helped helped make you a competitive candidate. I'm curious as to how someone from CO got accepted into OR H&S...they're very unfriendly to OOSers.

I've been extremely fortunate this application cycle and could not be happier with how things have turned out. I'm posting this simply as a means to get a glimpse into the mind of an adcom. I've been accepted at schools I thought I had no chance at, and received pre-II rejections at what I thought were my targets. Could someone shed light on my cycle (again -- no complaints!)

Background:
3.88 cGPA; 3.90 sGPA
513 MCAT

Colorado Resident
Reapplicant
High School Chemistry Teacher
Medical Assistant
Tons of service,
minimal research.

Schools & Outcomes:
Michigan - II & Accepted!
U of Colorado - II & Accepted!
Oregon H&S - II & Accepted!
Creighton - II & Accepted!
Tulane - II & Accepted!
Mayo (MN) - II & waiting....
Penn State - II / did not attend
Temple - II / did not attend
Drexel - II / did not attend
VCU - II / did not attend
Brown - Pre-II rejection
Indiana - Pre-II rejection
Georgetown - Pre-II rejection
UCSF - Pre-II rejection
USC - Pre-II rejection
Ohio State - Secondary & silence
Tufts - Secondary & silence
UCLA - Silence.. just silence.

Thanks!

:soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::highfive::highfive::highfive::love::love::love::thumbup::thumbup::=|:-)::=|:-)::=|:-)::banana::banana::banana::claps::claps::claps::biglove::biglove::biglove:

The things in bold are what IO believe helped helped make you a competitive candidate. I'm curious as to how someone from CO got accepted into OR H&S...they're very unfriendly to OOSers.

Thanks for your input and emojis! I'm fairly confident that my commitment to primary care (and questionable MMI tactics) helped me land OHSU. I was just as surprised.