TUCOM-NY Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
on the 23rd I believe,

did you mean the 15th of December?? o_O

Members don't see this ad.

thanks hopeful! I didnt hear anything today. so its hard for me.

u didnt interview that day did u?

Members don't see this ad :)
No I didn't interview the 23rd, but I did on the 24th. It makes more sense if we hear back next week because their decisions were probably postponed due to the Thanksgiving holiday. Stay positive!

Hi guys

i just received my invite for an interview. anyone here as a none-traditional applicant?

Good luck to us all!

I'mma try to stay positive, its been so busy at work so i havent been able to think about it much. Thanks for keeping me upbeat

Lemme know about the news for you as well! I hope we both get in.

i'm interviewing tomorrow. ;-)

any pointers?

Know your application. With me (and some other people) the interviwers seemed to have played good cop/bad cop, but generally they're nice.

I was the one who directed my interview. Steer them in the directions that you want them to go (for me, I mentioned my research with the under-served population, etc., so they would ask questions on them).

Most difficult question: Tell us about yourself (I always hated that question and of course they had to ask me, so just think about something to say even though they may not ask you).

thank you.

I'm not to funned of the open ended question either but will work on it. ;-)

Thanks for the heads up on the interviewers.

I hope i do well.

Did u get accepted?

thank you.

I'm not to funned of the open ended question either but will work on it. ;-)

Thanks for the heads up on the interviewers.

I hope i do well.

Did u get accepted?

Good luck, I'm sure you'll do just fine =)

And I got waitlisted-high. It was weird because most people hear back in exactly 2 weeks and I got the email after 12 days. Obed said that from previous years all people on the high waitlist got accepted eventually. If that's the case it actually works better for me. I love the students and faculty at TouroCOM, but I prefer NYCOM because of research opportunities. Right now, I get to wait for NYCOM's decision and don't have to worry about putting down $2000 of deposit.

Again, good luck, update us after your interview~

Thanks charm4eva

Good luck to u too.

I'm almost done w my NYCOM application and will submit it this week. ;-)

Thanks charm4eva

Good luck to u too.

I'm almost done w my NYCOM application and will submit it this week. ;-)

Good luck! If you want information on NYCOM and their interviews, PM me =)

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an interview invite!!!!!!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhh sooooooo excited!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone know if the interview dates for January have been determined?

Does anyone know how long after an interview you will receive an update on status? Thanks.

Touro has been pretty good about updating applicants within the promised 2 weeks after interview. I interviewed September 9th, got in on the 24th.

i have an interview on January 11th... yayyyyy soo excited!!! any words of advice? and where to go/visit/stay during my trip to NY??

2 weeks today since my interview with Touro, I am going to be nervous all this week. For those who received acceptances did you receive a call/letter/email?

it is a phone call usually after 4-4:30pm. and if you don't hear back today, relax, they may be a day or 2 behind - but you will know before the end of this week.

this looked like a wonderful school. ;-) Good luck to us all!

I received an interview invite today, I'm interviewing on January 4th :D. the only thing is that my nycom interview isnt until Feb 11th, n NYCOM is my first choice. Still excited though!

I received an interview invite today, I'm interviewing on January 4th :D. the only thing is that my nycom interview isnt until Feb 11th, n NYCOM is my first choice. Still excited though!

Nice, good luck at both!!

Day two post two-week interview, I feel like I have OCD with my watch! Congrats starburstsbabe! Good luck on your interview.

haha, Chief, we must have interviewed together. I feel totally OCD, too. Deep breaths, right?

Accepted!!!!

They called me exactly two weeks after my interview.

Accepted! Yay! Now I can relax on my remaining interviews and cancel the ones I don't see myself attending since I know I have at least one school to attend!

Provisional acceptance! I will take it - congratulations to those accepted, and keep your head up to everyone else

Any suggestion for where to stay and what to do in NY? I was planning on arriving an extra before my interview to see the city. Thanks

Any suggestion for where to stay and what to do in NY? I was planning on arriving an extra before my interview to see the city. Thanks

Hey,

I don't know where you can stay, but I have a bunch of suggestions for sight seeing.

1-go to central park ( i suggest going in around 59th street and 5th ave) and walk around.
2-walk down 5th ave from 59th st to rockefeller center (50th st 5th ave) and see the tree.
3- times square if you like, it's a little too crazy for me though.
4- also check out the time warner building, there is a super expensive mall in there, but its cool to just look at. You have a nice view of the park.

I hear central park has some lovely benches :D

Provisional acceptance! I will take it - congratulations to those accepted, and keep your head up to everyone else

Would you mind explaining the difference between provisional and outright acceptance at touro-NY?

Would you mind explaining the difference between provisional and outright acceptance at touro-NY?

Prerequisite courses: B or better must be obtained for acceptance into program - taking spring semester

Hey everyone,

A quick question: Is the two week deadline for the 2k deposit after a hard-copy letter is received, or is it after the email is received? Thanks, and good luck to everyone in the current application cycle.

I personally HATED this school. Had my interview on the 16th and i really cant say a single good thing about it.

I get there at about 845 for a 9 am interview and they lead us to this hideous room, white walls, no decorations, "food" consists of 10 bagels with some coffee and OJ. 915 rolls around and no sign of life yet....... 920 and the director of admissions finally comes in and talks to us for about 30-45 minutes. AT LEAST 4-5 times during his speech random employees walked in and helped themselves to the bagels and oj.... then just walked out. how incredibly rude/distracting.

first up was the interviews. one of my interviewers was EXTREMELY confrontational, and just flat out rude multiple times during the interview. I can deal with tough questions (this was my 5th interview) but I've never had anyone like this guy.

after the interviews the rest of the day was just extremely un-organized. No one ever really seemed to know what we were supposed to be doing or where we were supposed to go. I ended up just sitting in the conference room for about an hour and a half after my interview while the schedule said we were supposed to be doing "admissions" and "financial aid."

When we finally went on our tour the facilities were pretty bad, definitely the worst I've seen, MD or DO.

The day culminated with a talk with two of the deans. Heres were the day gets great. About 2 minutes into their talk one of their cell phones goes off and the DEAN gets up, walks out of the room, and starts talking in the hallway... we can hear his entire conversation. He then walks back in and looks at the other DEAN and says, "gotta go in 5, lets wrap this up." The schedule had 30 minutes set aside for us to talk to them, he gave us about 5 minutes of his time.... Once he left the other guy stayed to talk.... but plowed down 2 bagels while we were talking to him... chewing with his mouth open while he talked to us the entire time, disgusting.

after the bagel master finishes he leaves and we just sit in the room by ourselves for another 10 minutes, no one has any idea what we're supposed to be doing. finally another dean walks in and rambles about ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for 45 minutes. It's now 2 pm, interview was supposed to be done at 1 pm... we're all starving (they havent fed us) and some of us need to catch flights. finally a girl interrupts and says she needs to catch a flight and the guy looks down at his watch and finally realizes he showed up an hour late to talk to us... that's why he'd gone over.

oh, and they never brought food for us, they don't even have a cafeteria at the school so they tell us we're going to walk 5 blocks in 20 DEGREE WEATHER to go to some restaurant. No thanks.... i got on the subway and headed back to my hotel.

They want me to shell out over 120k for an education and this is their attempt to lure me in? Oh, and on top of all that, 22 of their first class of 137 FAILED STAGE ONE COMPLEX.... STAGE FREAKING ONE..... Lecom had a 100% pass rate for stage one on their most recent class....

/rant

your day was definitely NOT a fluke. same thing happened during my interview, but i didn't care for this school so i never wrote about that.

only difference was, for lunch we had a chinese food buffet style lunch, and faculty would come in and eat our food too. lol

sorry you had a bad day there. btw cafeteria is on the 4th floor and the class of 2011 only started with i think 125. But yea the interview days def need to be more organized, i remember mine...probably in the top 3 unorganized of all of the schools I interviewed at.

Last edited:
o wow, i wonder if that will happen, tourocom badly needs hospitals in manhattan.

I personally HATED this school. Had my interview on the 16th and i really cant say a single good thing about it.

I get there at about 845 for a 9 am interview and they lead us to this hideous room, white walls, no decorations, "food" consists of 10 bagels with some coffee and OJ. 915 rolls around and no sign of life yet....... 920 and the director of admissions finally comes in and talks to us for about 30-45 minutes. AT LEAST 4-5 times during his speech random employees walked in and helped themselves to the bagels and oj.... then just walked out. how incredibly rude/distracting.

first up was the interviews. one of my interviewers was EXTREMELY confrontational, and just flat out rude multiple times during the interview. I can deal with tough questions (this was my 5th interview) but I've never had anyone like this guy.

after the interviews the rest of the day was just extremely un-organized. No one ever really seemed to know what we were supposed to be doing or where we were supposed to go. I ended up just sitting in the conference room for about an hour and a half after my interview while the schedule said we were supposed to be doing "admissions" and "financial aid."

When we finally went on our tour the facilities were pretty bad, definitely the worst I've seen, MD or DO.

The day culminated with a talk with two of the deans. Heres were the day gets great. About 2 minutes into their talk one of their cell phones goes off and the DEAN gets up, walks out of the room, and starts talking in the hallway... we can hear his entire conversation. He then walks back in and looks at the other DEAN and says, "gotta go in 5, lets wrap this up." The schedule had 30 minutes set aside for us to talk to them, he gave us about 5 minutes of his time.... Once he left the other guy stayed to talk.... but plowed down 2 bagels while we were talking to him... chewing with his mouth open while he talked to us the entire time, disgusting.

after the bagel master finishes he leaves and we just sit in the room by ourselves for another 10 minutes, no one has any idea what we're supposed to be doing. finally another dean walks in and rambles about ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for 45 minutes. It's now 2 pm, interview was supposed to be done at 1 pm... we're all starving (they havent fed us) and some of us need to catch flights. finally a girl interrupts and says she needs to catch a flight and the guy looks down at his watch and finally realizes he showed up an hour late to talk to us... that's why he'd gone over.

oh, and they never brought food for us, they don't even have a cafeteria at the school so they tell us we're going to walk 5 blocks in 20 DEGREE WEATHER to go to some restaurant. No thanks.... i got on the subway and headed back to my hotel.

They want me to shell out over 120k for an education and this is their attempt to lure me in? Oh, and on top of all that, 22 of their first class of 137 FAILED STAGE ONE COMPLEX.... STAGE FREAKING ONE..... Lecom had a 100% pass rate for stage one on their most recent class....

/rant

omg i have to respond because the SAME EXACT THING HAPPENED TO ME! except in my interview!!!

in the middle of answering a question one of my interviewer's personal cell phones went off... she then answered it while i'm in the middle of speaking!! i started slowing down, kinda shocked by the situation and the other dude interviewing me looked at me kinda implying that i should keep talking... i stopped anyways since it was her question i was answering...

this is the best part... she then asks me: "define professionalism"

i bit my tongue... i REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted to say "not picking up your cellphone in the middle of an interview"

so flash forward a day... i send my thank you notes... one of the interviewers responds- "your welcome".....that's right..."your" welcome... not "you're" welcome...i'm not much of a speller myself... but i think email programs have spell check no? talk about UNprofessional!!!:eek:

Apparently Touro acquired NYMC last week. The deal is done.

So what will this mean for current/future Tucom-NY students?

omg i have to respond because the SAME EXACT THING HAPPENED TO ME! except in my interview!!!

in the middle of answering a question one of my interviewer's personal cell phones went off... she then answered it while i'm in the middle of speaking!! i started slowing down, kinda shocked by the situation and the other dude interviewing me looked at me kinda implying that i should keep talking... i stopped anyways since it was her question i was answering...

this is the best part... she then asks me: "define professionalism"

i bit my tongue... i REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted to say "not picking up your cellphone in the middle of an interview"

so flash forward a day... i send my thank you notes... one of the interviewers responds- "your welcome".....that's right..."your" welcome... not "you're" welcome...i'm not much of a speller myself... but i think email programs have spell check no? talk about UNprofessional!!!:eek:

Similar thing in my interview 12/14... Dean's cell went off and he answered... except he didn't bother to leave the room. He just sat there and talked while we looked at each other in shock. Then after that, he commented on how Touro "Doesn't care if you come here". And how they were proud of their 81% COMLEX step 1's (after a few retakes I might add....)