TUCOM-NY Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys,

Sorry if this has been asked already, but what is the general time frame from interview to decision made? I have an interview at the end of Nov, and would like to know if I have the possibility of receiving a Christmas present. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

14 days. they are usually good with that, at most maybe a day or 2 off. We have finals until the 17th so the offices should be open till then.

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone heard back from the people who interviewed 11/11 at TOUROCOM, I know its not quite 14 days...just wondering if anyone heard a little early.
thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed on 11/9 -- fully two weeks ago -- no news yet. Eep!

i just withdrew my app from consideration (invited for interview but had yet to schedule a date)....i hope that an extra invite goes out in its place for someone who really wants it!

I have been debating this with a few people: Do you bring a copy of your resume and personal statement with you to the interview (along with something to carry documents in)?

I thought that all you need to bring is yourself - no folders/organizers/documents with you to the interview. Is this correct?

I have been debating this with a few people: Do you bring a copy of your resume and personal statement with you to the interview (along with something to carry documents in)?

I thought that all you need to bring is yourself - no folders/organizers/documents with you to the interview. Is this correct?

you can bring it, but you won't need it - just review it right before and then mention the pertinent items during the interview (don't just show them a paper!)

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed on the 23rd, now the waiting game ...

did anyone else go for that interview? <3

DOES this school screen before sending out secondaries? Sorry if this question has already been answered.

so going by the stats. 1 of every 4 interviewed is selected, right?

I dont know if any stats like that exist; last year it varied. In some interview groups they accepted all of the interviewees, in some groups half of the people, or even 1 or 2 people. If you have a good interview and show your interest in the school and the school's mission then they will accept you (assuming the rest of your app is in order).

well if they actually give you an interview doesn't that mean that they acknowledge your stats and everything prior to interview? I really don't understand why they would give an interview and acing it would result in a rejection because of the stats they have seen. This happens to most schools i believe.

For an interview you need to have preliminary requirements - most probably a minimum mcat and gpa. I never said acing the interview would result in a rejection. I said if you ace the interview and assuming they like the rest of your app (like your ECs, gpa trends, research, etc.) then you will get in.

On a side note, the interview is a closed file interview.

For an interview you need to have preliminary requirements - most probably a minimum mcat and gpa. I never said acing the interview would result in a rejection. I said if you ace the interview and assuming they like the rest of your app (like your ECs, gpa trends, research, etc.) then you will get in.

On a side note, the interview is a closed file interview.

When you say closed file, is it totally closed? Do they have your personal statement or any other non-academic stuff handy? Thanks.

I believe it's totally closed, they interview you and then look at your file afterwards.

When I interviewed it was 100% closed, which in a way can make it harder. I am "high" waitlist... but with the school being my first choice, I won't give up!

When I interviewed it was 100% closed, which in a way can make it harder. I am "high" waitlist... but with the school being my first choice, I won't give up!

Obed said that at the very least if you are high on the wait list, they will offer you a spot in the following years class, if you're willing to wait for it.

Is there a list of interview questions for this school?

Thanks!

Is there a list of interview questions for this school?

Thanks!

It really depends on the interviewer. For me, I had "tell us a little about yourself." And then it went into my research and in general, why medicine. Some of my friends got weird questions such as "what do you think about the swine flu/ Obama health bill." It all depends.

It really depends on the interviewer. For me, I had "tell us a little about yourself." And then it went into my research and in general, why medicine. Some of my friends got weird questions such as "what do you think about the swine flu/ Obama health bill." It all depends.

I see.

I was just wondering if there were a list of compiled questions like somebody had done for WVSOM. It made the interview prep a lot easier.

sorry if this has been asked... my aacomas was just verified today. About how long have people had to wait before hearing back from this school as far as secondary app/interview is concerned?

Thanks

Just had my interview today! The interview seemed to have taken forever, so I don't know if that is a good thing or bad thing. Everyone else I talked to was only interviewed for 15-20min.

In all, the interview day was not bad. The faculty seemed very nice and helpful. And Dr. Goldberg is a wonderful person.

Nobody had any information on Board scores for the 3rd year class. The only thing that was talked about was how the school has changed since the first year class. The finger scan thing was odd, but I guess that is part of the process of increasing class attendance.

Two students gave us the down and dirty of the school, which was nice. I think the best advice they gave was, if you matriculate, is to associate yourself w/positive people - i couldn't agree any more.

I would love to go to this school; the location of the school and rotation sites are top notch. If you want diversity and work in place of need, TouroNY-COM is the place IMO.

Anyone who interviewed today please feel free to PM me to talk about specifics. I will post my interview questions on the interview feedback page.

Last edited:
I would love to go to this school; the location of the school and rotation sites are top notch. If you want diversity and work in place of need, TouroNY-COM is the place IMO.

i wouldnt agree with that, but i wouldnt might attending touro for other reasons. hopefully they continue to improve and by the time i'm ready for rotation, they pick up better hospitals to rotate in.

Can some 1 share pros and cons of attending Touro?

Also, does some one know abt the rotation hospitals of Touro

I had to "define a profession" but otherwise nothing that was too overwhelming. Mostly talked about Harlem, Emergency/Family medicine (my intended specialties) and what I could experience at Touro that I couldnt anywhere else. Obviously wasn't too bad, It went from being my first choice to my "dream school" :xf:

Good luck Agdoc and dude! Can't wait for my interview!

TouroCOM 3 yr Hospital Affiliations for Class of 2012

-Bon Secours Hospital System (Bon Secours Community (Port Jervis, NY), Good Samaritan (Suffern, NY), St. Anthony's (Warwick, NY))
-Bronx Lebanon Hospital (Bronx, NY)
-Holliswood Psychiatric Hospital (Queens, NY)
-New Island Hospital (Bethpage, NY)
-Palisades Hospital Center (North Bergen, NJ)
-St. Elizabeth's Hospital (Utica, NY)
-St. John's Episcopal Hospital (Queens, NY)
-Staten Island University Hospital (Staten Island, NY)
-Trinitas Medical Center (Elizabeth, NJ)
-Wilson memorial Hospital (Binghampton, NY)
-Mather Memorial Hospital (Port Jefferson, NY)

2 more will be added to the list soon (one of them I believe was said to be Jersey City Medical Center &#8211; Jersey City, NJ).

The school is trying to get more hospital affiliations, but for now the class of 2012 will have at least 15 hospitals to do their 3rd year rotations. By the time the class of 2013 gets to rotations, they will have even more hospitals, and by the time 2014 gets there, they will have more than that.

Last edited:
sorry if this has been asked... my aacomas was just verified today. About how long have people had to wait before hearing back from this school as far as secondary app/interview is concerned?

Thanks

bump.

anyone know?

bump.

anyone know?

Verified 9/3, secondary sent to me on 9/15, my advisor was horrible and didn't send my LORs until 10/15, so I received invite on 10/30 for interview selections for 11/10-11/18. Hope that helps.

TouroCOM 3 yr Hospital Affiliations for Class of 2012

-Bon Secours Hospital System (Bon Secours Community (Port Jervis, NY), Good Samaritan (Suffern, NY), St. Anthony's (Warwick, NY))
-Bronx Lebanon Hospital (Bronx, NY)
-Holliswood Psychiatric Hospital (Queens, NY)
-New Island Hospital (Bethpage, NY)
-Palisades Hospital Center (North Bergen, NJ)
-St. Elizabeth's Hospital (Utica, NY)
-St. John's Episcopal Hospital (Queens, NY)
-Staten Island University Hospital (Staten Island, NY)
-Trinitas Medical Center (Elizabeth, NJ)
-Wilson memorial Hospital (Binghampton, NY)
-Mather Memorial Hospital (Port Jefferson, NY)

It would kinda suck to have to rotate in Port Jefferson -- that's really far from Harlem!

It would kinda suck to have to rotate in Port Jefferson -- that's really far from Harlem!

or binghamton or utica...

it seems that they got those hospitals just to boost their numbers. i would be super upset if i was forced to rotate that far from nyc.

true, but in many of the sites you can do all of your rotations at 1 site so you would have to move around less. The school is still hopeful of adding 4 more hospitals so, who knows you might not have to move at all. Besides, this list is for 2012...the 2014 list will be way different. Also you choose what region you want to rotate in (NJ, NY, or Upstate NY), so if you don't want to go up there you won't have to.

they received my primary last week, how long does it take to receive secondary? Really want an interview here!! :)

ejay- do you know of any students being "forced" to rotate at those far hospitals?

In the class of 2011 I dont know because I wasn't there. But the class of 2012 has like 250+ rotation spots for 135ish students. You may not get the hospital you want depending on how you do in the lottery but you'll most likely get the region you want to be in.

anyone know anything further on that 78% comlex pass rate? How many of the other 22% pass on the second attempt??

Thanks!

I don't remember the exact numbers but I do know the majority of the people did pass on the retake. There are a couple who didn't meet Touro's 10/15 deadline to pass the boards and will prob have to take a year to do "research" and retake their boards. The majority of the kids that had to retake the boards were those that failed 2+ classes (some even 4+). Touro did make a mistake by letting everyone in 2011 take the boards. I doubt they will make that mistake again for 2013 or perhaps even 2012.

Last edited:
anyone know what the avarage mcat and gpa is for this school?

i was also wondering what my chances are

cgpa 3.2
sgpa 3.4
mcat 28k PS 7 VR 11 BS 10

i have 3 or 4 years of hospital experience as a NA and urology tech

Judgment day ...

Today will be two weeks, crossing meh fingers.

Judgment day ...

Today will be two weeks, crossing meh fingers.

Did you interview on the 24th? I believe they said that it would be the 15th but the Director of Admission also stated that it would be two weeks. I do hope it's today, but positive news!