TUCOM-NY Discussion Thread 2009-2010

Started by bowlin123
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm going to say this once and only once, Solanodoc, you obviously love Touro-Cali. Stop trolling Touro-NY with your passive aggressive attitude towards NY and go to Cali. People will go to the school they are meant to go to and you were obviously not meant to go to Touro-NY.

As for what you said before for Touro's rundown old building. It's a historic landmark, the Blumstein Department store, look it up. It was infamous during the civil rights movement. MLK Jr was stabbed there and a boycott was staged there due to no african americans being allowed to work there. The Apollo is across the street from our school. Bill Clinton works one block over. It's an awesome area with amazing history. You should have seen it during the inauguration last year. It was CRAZY and in a good way too. And also just as safe as any other part of the city. I know people might dispute me on that, but I've lived here 10 years, and have gone to school in that area for 9 of those 10 years.

Finally, Obed is not a jerk, nor is he gruff. He's one of the nicest guys at that school. He has never greeted me with less than a smile and when I ask him about what's going on with the admissions process for the next year, he'll tell us what's going on. Sometimes he'll sigh with all the work he has to do, but he won't complain. He works his butt off for us and I think it's rather amazing he can get decisions to people in 2 weeks. Don't forget, he IS the admissions department. Most places take longer to come up with a decision and tell their prospectives not to start calling until they've waited a month at least! coughNYCOMcough. It's not his fault he's at a conference. Maybe he should have mentioned it to the interviewees at the school, but it was not his choice to go. He is not the only member of our faculty at that conference. The conferences are important to keep schools up to date on academic life. Skip a conference and possibly be a little out of step with other institutions and all of a sudden, you're still in Fortran when everyone else is running JAVA.

In my opinion, as a third year student, the first years have it MUCH better than we did. First, they have us. Second, they have better teachers. Third, they have a better test schedule than we did. Fourth, they're going to have so many more hospitals than we currently do. Fifth, I visited the fourth and fifth floors for the first time yesterday and they're AWESOME! And they won't have construction workers in the building anymore. They have more places to study than we did. I could go on.

👍
 
the guy is a 1 man admissions department, cut him some slack. 1 guy answering emails and calls from thousands of applicants...
 
Yeah, Obed seemed like a nice guy. I wouldn't rip on him. You probably caught him on a bad day.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Waitlisted. Sigh! I'm not sad which means I probably didn't want to go there that much.. but I feel uneasy since this means there are no guarantees and the process shall only go on! I do feel like I was a little shafted.. since my interview seemed extremely short and therefore I was given a smaller shot but maybe I just didn't try to sell myself enough? Oh well, it was my first interview and I have four (and hopefully counting!) more interviews. But good luck to everyone else! 🙂

-- update --

the more i think about it, i can understand why i was waitlisted. i think i was a gamble in terms of an applicant and didn't show enough interest for the school.
 
Last edited:
I'm going to say this once and only once, Solanodoc, you obviously love Touro-Cali. Stop trolling Touro-NY with your passive aggressive attitude towards NY and go to Cali. People will go to the school they are meant to go to and you were obviously not meant to go to Touro-NY.

As for what you said before for Touro's rundown old building. It's a historic landmark, the Blumstein Department store, look it up. It was infamous during the civil rights movement. MLK Jr was stabbed there and a boycott was staged there due to no african americans being allowed to work there. The Apollo is across the street from our school. Bill Clinton works one block over. It's an awesome area with amazing history. You should have seen it during the inauguration last year. It was CRAZY and in a good way too. And also just as safe as any other part of the city. I know people might dispute me on that, but I've lived here 10 years, and have gone to school in that area for 9 of those 10 years.

Finally, Obed is not a jerk, nor is he gruff. He's one of the nicest guys at that school. He has never greeted me with less than a smile and when I ask him about what's going on with the admissions process for the next year, he'll tell us what's going on. Sometimes he'll sigh with all the work he has to do, but he won't complain. He works his butt off for us and I think it's rather amazing he can get decisions to people in 2 weeks. Don't forget, he IS the admissions department. Most places take longer to come up with a decision and tell their prospectives not to start calling until they've waited a month at least! coughNYCOMcough. It's not his fault he's at a conference. Maybe he should have mentioned it to the interviewees at the school, but it was not his choice to go. He is not the only member of our faculty at that conference. The conferences are important to keep schools up to date on academic life. Skip a conference and possibly be a little out of step with other institutions and all of a sudden, you're still in Fortran when everyone else is running JAVA.

In my opinion, as a third year student, the first years have it MUCH better than we did. First, they have us. Second, they have better teachers. Third, they have a better test schedule than we did. Fourth, they're going to have so many more hospitals than we currently do. Fifth, I visited the fourth and fifth floors for the first time yesterday and they're AWESOME! And they won't have construction workers in the building anymore. They have more places to study than we did. I could go on.

Who cares. I absolutely did not like the conduct of the admissions staff at the school and Mr. O was particularly impossible to reach. When I sent my secondary, it took three weeks to finally get an answer from him as to whether or not he received it. The whole fingerprint scan and retinal thing bugged the heck out of me, the "campus" felt like a maximum security prison. That and the financial aid office gives a very low COA, its less than Touro MI and NYC is a far more expensive region than the Bay Area.
 
Last edited:
Who cares. I absolutely did not like the conduct of the admissions staff at the school and Mr. O was particularly impossible to reach. When I sent my secondary, it took three weeks to finally get an answer from him as to whether or not he received it. The whole fingerprint scan and retinal thing bugged the heck out of me, the "campus" felt like a maximum security prison. That and the financial aid office gives a very low COA, its less than Touro MI and NYC is a far more expensive region than the Bay Area.

*snort* God forbid that the COA was higher, you'd still have something to complain about. NYC is affordable with roommates. Hell, a few classmates have singles. You have plenty in COA to afford a great place in NYC. I think it's responsible of Touro's FinAid to give budget counseling. Past students apparently have blown loan money on a new wardrobe, and mega-luxury apartments.

I don't know what retinal thing you're talking about either, but you probably need your eyes checked. We don't do retinal scans. But I'm so glad you're not coming to TouroNY. Stay in Cali. Please.
 
*snort* God forbid that the COA was higher, you'd still have something to complain about. NYC is affordable with roommates. Hell, a few classmates have singles. You have plenty in COA to afford a great place in NYC. I think it's responsible of Touro's FinAid to give budget counseling. Past students apparently have blown loan money on a new wardrobe, and mega-luxury apartments.

I don't know what retinal thing you're talking about either, but you probably need your eyes checked. We don't do retinal scans. But I'm so glad you're not coming to TouroNY. Stay in Cali. Please.


My bad it was a fingerprint scan located outside of the classrooms. TouroCOM's COA is about 5k lower than MI, and in a more expensive city.
On a more positive note the TouroCOM interview was a lot more laid back than the one I had in MI which was actually pretty intense. But anyway good luck to you.
 
Last edited:
My bad it was a fingerprint scan located outside of the classrooms. TouroCOM's COA is about 5k lower than MI, and in a more expensive city.
On a more positive note the TouroCOM interview was a lot more laid back than the one I had in MI which was actually pretty intense. But anyway good luck to you.

You have no idea what you're talking about. TUCOM Cali costs 39k in tuition, $17,392 for room and board. Tourocom NY is 33k tuition, $19,615 for room and board. There's also 4k for personal reasons, compared to Cali's 2k personal allowance. The difference between total COA between the two schools is 3k.
 
You have no idea what you're talking about. TUCOM Cali costs 39k in tuition, $17,392 for room and board. Tourocom NY is 33k tuition, $19,615 for room and board. There's also 4k for personal reasons, compared to Cali's 2k personal allowance. The difference between total COA between the two schools is 3k.

I got into both schools, the financial aid estimate for CA is 69k, for NY its around 65k, even if its the 3k less, its still too low. I asked several students about rents near Harlem and they were skyhigh. I can't live with roommates, I married.
 
All those numbers are just estimates. If you need more money you can take out more loans. Yea living in NYC is expensive compared to most places in the US, but you can find reasonably priced apartments, jus gotta look for them. Some parts of the COA that is given to you by Trevor is exaggerated a bit so you can play around with the numbers.

I don't think anyone spends $2,100+ a year on transportation, or $4,400+ on books, laptop, etc. An unlimited metrocard for 12 months would run you less than $1,100 a year; $66,000 a year estimate is way more than enough for NYC. Also there is no real difference in being $250k in debt after 4 years or being $260k in debt after 4 years because you went to or lived in a place that cost a bit more; either way your in a lot of debt.

As far as looking for cheap rent you could consult a no fee broker who will work with your needs and budget for free and help you find a place ( many students use them). Also it is best to ask students who actually live in an area what the rent is like in that area.
 
Last edited:
Wait, so you can borrow more than the COA listed by the school? How is that possible? I thought most schools rigidly adhere to the COA. I am married and my wife works in SF, unless she could find the same job in NY, I doubt I could afford this school.
 
Wait, so you can borrow more than the COA listed by the school? How is that possible? I thought most schools rigidly adhere to the COA. I am married and my wife works in SF, unless she could find the same job in NY, I doubt I could afford this school.

You're taking out the COA, not more than it. You're just allocating to different things. Nobody spends that much on transportation in the city, unless you're taking like a chauffeur to school every day and commuting from an ultraswanky luxury loft in the UES. Nobody also spends that much on books. Even brand new books and with all new equipment, it will run you about 2k, not the 4k estimate. Hence, if you take out the full amount, you can reallocate parts of the loan to other places you need, like room and board. However, it is still an estimated cost of attendance, an OVERESTIMATED cost. You do not need to take out the full amount. You can live very well on the 19k budget they give you, which is more than Touro Cali. The tuition is less at NY than Cali. You have to look at what the COA breakdown is, not look at the final total.
 
Wait, so you can borrow more than the COA listed by the school? How is that possible? I thought most schools rigidly adhere to the COA. I am married and my wife works in SF, unless she could find the same job in NY, I doubt I could afford this school.

This post has nothing to do with anything re: Touro-NY but... just had to say.. you have the best star fleet capt ever as your avatar 👍👍👍😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just received secondary. Love-hate relationship: love the fact that I will get an interview, hate the fact I'm out atleast $200! Will send in the secondary by the end of week.
 
Just received secondary. Love-hate relationship: love the fact that I will get an interview, hate the fact I'm out atleast $200! Will send in the secondary by the end of week.

yeah, not sure why they insist on charging $200 for the secondary, but PNWU is a close second at $175 😛 applying to and attending med school is an expensive process in general, start getting used to seeing that checking account going down more often 🙁
 
yeah, not sure why they insist on charging $200 for the secondary, but PNWU is a close second at $175 😛 applying to and attending med school is an expensive process in general, start getting used to seeing that checking account going down more often 🙁


It is a ripoff, there should be established limits or justifications for such a high amount.

Is this there way to pay for the schools shortcomings (gym, research floor, cafeteria, library, student happiness)?
 
If you are complaining about just the money then you should know that WVSOM tuition is $50k+ a year.

If it bugs you that much then stop complaining and ask Obed why and get a real answer.
 
If you are complaining about just the money then you should know that WVSOM tuition is $50k+ a year.

If it bugs you that much then stop complaining and ask Obed why and get a real answer.


It is not the amount alone, I just wonder where it goes.....


Does it really cost 200 a interviewee to process?
 
It is a ripoff, there should be established limits or justifications for such a high amount.

LOL wow, you're really complaining about $200 when WVSOM's tuition is $50,000 a year? $200 for a one-time payment versus $15,000 extra for FOUR years (for a grand total of $60,000) - what's the justification for that exorbitant tuition? I don't understand how you can stomach this extra debt and yet complain about $200. The $50k a year seems like the real "ripoff" to me.

Is this there way to pay for the schools shortcomings (gym, research floor, cafeteria, library, student happiness)?

I know you meant "their," right? 😉 But I hardly think using the secondary fee to cover expenses other than interview season is unusual for any medical school. USC charges $90 for their secondary, SUNY Downstate $85 - what they use the money for is their business. If you had such a problem with the amount, THEN DON'T PAY IT, and DON'T ATTEND!

And I'm pretty sure you don't know that the school's shortcoming is "student happiness" - talking to 2 or 3 people and reading comments on the interwebz (aka SDN) doesn't count.

It is not the amount alone, I just wonder where it goes.....
Does it really cost 200 a interviewee to process?

Why don't you e-mail Obed and find out what it goes toward? Oh, wait - you're just interested in bashing Touro...
 
LOL wow, you're really complaining about $200 when WVSOM's tuition is $50,000 a year? $200 for a one-time payment versus $15,000 extra for FOUR years (for a grand total of $60,000) - what's the justification for that exorbitant tuition? I don't understand how you can stomach this extra debt and yet complain about $200. The $50k a year seems like the real "ripoff" to me.



I know you meant "their," right? 😉 But I hardly think using the secondary fee to cover expenses other than interview season is unusual for any medical school. USC charges $90 for their secondary, SUNY Downstate $85 - what they use the money for is their business. If you had such a problem with the amount, THEN DON'T PAY IT, and DON'T ATTEND!

And I'm pretty sure you don't know that the school's shortcoming is "student happiness" - talking to 2 or 3 people and reading comments on the interwebz (aka SDN) doesn't count.



Why don't you e-mail Obed and find out what it goes toward? Oh, wait - you're just interested in bashing Touro...



Thats right just because tuition is high that means we should not care how much money we spend on everything else....kinda of a flawed arguement.

Have you seen the WVSOM campus? Thats where the tuition goes. The campus is amazing.

I dont need to talk to others on the "Interwebz" I was at Touro NY.....all "one" buildings
 
Thats right just because tuition is high that means we should not care how much money we spend on everything else....kinda of a flawed arguement.

Have you seen the WVSOM campus? Thats where the tuition goes. The campus is amazing.

Great, glad you're comfortable with paying $60,000 more for a pretty campus. And I didn't say that "you shouldn't care about how much money" you're spending on everything else - I'm saying that it was YOUR CHOICE to pay that $200, and in light of your decision to pay that high of a tuition, $200 doesn't seem like *that* much money in comparison. If you thought it was too high in the first place, then you should NOT have submitted your primary or secondary to Touro.

I dont need to talk to others on the "Interwebz" I was at Touro NY.....all "one" buildings

... obviously, the number of buildings a medical school has is directly correlated to how "good" it is 🙄 personally, I like having everything in one place, but aside from that - you're still judging "student happiness" based on spending ONE day at the school and talking to ... how many people? Seriously, Touro has its problems, but I highly doubt WVSOM is without its own flaws, so I find your "holier than thou" attitude rather unnecessary. You're not coming to Touro, great. You lost $200 to the secondary, by YOUR own CHOICE. Maybe if you gave more thought to your decision to apply here, it wouldn't have ended up this way.
 
Last edited:
Great, glad you're comfortable with paying $60,000 more for a pretty campus. And I didn't say that "you shouldn't care about how much money" you're spending on everything else - I'm saying that it was YOUR CHOICE to pay that $200, and in light of your decision to pay that high of a tuition, $200 doesn't seem like *that* much money in comparison. If you thought it was too high in the first place, then you should NOT have submitted your primary or secondary to Touro.



... obviously, the number of buildings a medical school has is directly correlated to how "good" it is 🙄 personally, I like having everything in one place, but aside from that - you're still judging "student happiness" based on spending ONE day at the school and talking to ... how many people? Seriously, Touro has its problems, but I highly doubt WVSOM is without its own flaws, so I find your "holier than thou" attitude rather unnecessary. You're not coming to Touro, great. You lost $200 to the secondary, by YOUR own CHOICE. Maybe if you gave more thought to your decision to apply here, it wouldn't have ended up this way.

Holier than thou....no...I am just saying that 200 is uber expensive for one application secondary and considering the comlex pass rates and lack of residencies I think such a high fee is unwarranted
 
Hey I was just wondering if anybody that has gotten accepted for class of 2014 is planning on going?!

Im really excited about it. This looks like a great school with a lot of possibilities!

😍😍
 
Hey I was just wondering if anybody that has gotten accepted for class of 2014 is planning on going?!

Im really excited about it. This looks like a great school with a lot of possibilities!

😍😍
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey I was just wondering if anybody that has gotten accepted for class of 2014 is planning on going.

Im really excited about it, this looks like a great school with a lot of possibilities!!!

😍😍
 
Holier than thou....no...I am just saying that 200 is uber expensive for one application secondary and considering the comlex pass rates and lack of residencies I think such a high fee is unwarranted

First of all, COMLEX pass rates were watered down b/c Touro chose to allow students who failed 4 courses to move on to the next year instead of kicking them out, a common policy at other schools. There was a high correlation between the # of courses failed with board score. I think you mean lack of rotations instead of residencies. We do not have a lack of rotations.

You think $200 is expensive for a secondary now? Why was the MCAT so expensive? Why is AMCAS / AACOMAS so expensive? Why do we have to pay for EACH school if we're just writing ONE application? Wait till you apply for residencies. Oh no, the process of being competitive and paying for things out of the nose does not end here. For a one man admissions dept to guarantee interviews with a low cutoff, plus a chance to become a doctor at a fine school, $200 is pretty damn cheap. Go piss away your $50 elsewhere and pay $60k more in the long run.
 
Hey guys, I interviewed this Wednesday 11/11. I fell in love with the school. The people seemed really warm and down to earth. I also love the mission statement. Anyone else that interviewed that day hit me up with your impressions! I am the kid from Texas!
:xf:
 
Hey guys, I interviewed this Wednesday 11/11. I fell in love with the school. The people seemed really warm and down to earth. I also love the mission statement. Anyone else that interviewed that day hit me up with your impressions! I am the kid from Texas!
:xf:

Hey, I remember you, I interviewed that day also, I'm Muhammad, we were both in group C. The school was my top choice and after visiting, I also really liked the school. When I went to the grand rounds presentation, I got a chance to talk with a lot of the medical students and they were very nice and said they loved being there.
 
First of all, COMLEX pass rates were watered down b/c Touro chose to allow students who failed 4 courses to move on to the next year instead of kicking them out, a common policy at other schools. There was a high correlation between the # of courses failed with board score. I think you mean lack of rotations instead of residencies. We do not have a lack of rotations.

You think $200 is expensive for a secondary now? Why was the MCAT so expensive? Why is AMCAS / AACOMAS so expensive? Why do we have to pay for EACH school if we're just writing ONE application? Wait till you apply for residencies. Oh no, the process of being competitive and paying for things out of the nose does not end here. For a one man admissions dept to guarantee interviews with a low cutoff, plus a chance to become a doctor at a fine school, $200 is pretty damn cheap. Go piss away your $50 elsewhere and pay $60k more in the long run.

Waterdown scores sounds like an excuse. It was there choice to let them stay, thus the number is accurate.

What is with people accepting such high, non-tuition prices, just because they are becoming doctors...Is there anything keeping the schools from raising it?
 
Does anyone know if touro really wants 6 credits of behavorial science and math requirement? I have received an interview but I didn't have those completed so do I have to take those courses?
 
If its on their list of requirements then yes they want you to complete those courses. They give you an interview even if you havent finished your requirements because they believe that you will finish them before you matriculate next august, many schools do this. So I would try to get those requirements done before next august. Also you can come in to talk to the registrar and see if any of the other courses you have already taken can be substituted for the ones you need. Many schools require you to take behavioral science courses, so you are better off taking them because you will prob need them for any school.
 
I was wondering if those who got rejected or waitlisted might share their stats. I don't want to judge I'm just curious if I get a secondary and my stats are similar to yours I might not send it in.
 
I was wondering if those who got rejected or waitlisted might share their stats. I don't want to judge I'm just curious if I get a secondary and my stats are similar to yours I might not send it in.

3.47, 27, rejected, mind you I don't believe I was rejected because of my stats. They seemed to really emphasize applicants interested in primary care... and I don't think me having nearly all my clinical experience in the ED and orthopedic shadowing boded well haha (not to mention my PS cites an experience from my orthopedic shadowing as one of my reasons for pursuing medicine).
 
Hi everyone 🙂 I was wondering where we are supposed to send the acceptance letter? To the admin office or 230 west 125th street?

Go Class of 2014 wooHOOOOOOOOOO!
 
3.47, 27, rejected, mind you I don't believe I was rejected because of my stats. They seemed to really emphasize applicants interested in primary care... and I don't think me having nearly all my clinical experience in the ED and orthopedic shadowing boded well haha (not to mention my PS cites an experience from my orthopedic shadowing as one of my reasons for pursuing medicine).
How were you notified?
 
Does anyone know if touro really wants 6 credits of behavorial science and math requirement? I have received an interview but I didn't have those completed so do I have to take those courses?

To answer your question, yes you do. I got accepted last year but was missing 3 credits of behavioral sciences and I had to take a summer course in order to enroll this fall. If you get accepted it will be "provisionally" and you will have until August 1st to complete everything.
 
Hi everyone 🙂 I was wondering where we are supposed to send the acceptance letter? To the admin office or 230 west 125th street?

Go Class of 2014 wooHOOOOOOOOOO!

I sent my acceptance letter to the admissions office (same address I sent the secondary to). It didn't say on the letter so I hope that was ok. I had also faxed a copy over because I wasn't sure if it would make it there by the deadline... Ms. Hunter was pretty helpful. You can always give them a call and make sure they got it.

Congratulations!!! 👍 🙂 Are you still looking at other schools or are you definitely going to Touro?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just received an interview invite! This will be my first interview (Nov.). However, is anyone else concerned that they are missing so many classes? Regardless, I am very grateful for my invites.

Congrats to to those who have received acceptances, and good luck to those who are interviewing/waiting to hear back.
 
🙂 I was debating between TouroCOM-NY and PCOM. I live in Brooklyn and want to stay with my family, so as much as it will suck to commute, I hope I made the right decision with Touro. How about you? Are you debating any other schools?
 
Hey! Does anybody know when classes start for the 2010-2011 school year? I have been trying to find it online and can't find it anywhere. Thanks for your help!
 
Should be about the first monday of August. So orientation would start most likely August 2, 2010 and classes would start a day or 2 after.
 
🙂 I was debating between TouroCOM-NY and PCOM. I live in Brooklyn and want to stay with my family, so as much as it will suck to commute, I hope I made the right decision with Touro. How about you? Are you debating any other schools?

I've been on three other interviews but right now I'm leaning towards TouroCOM-NY and Nova. I also have an interview with NYCOM coming up so that one will probably be thrown into the mix (if I get in). I love Touro's mission, it's location (pretty close to home and I absolutely love NYC), and I think the facilities are great. I've also heard some really positive things about the teachers so that's really important too. I guess my only concern is with rotations third and fourth year. Some of the posts on here are pretty negative (I can look past the money because I'm going to be up to my eyeballs in debt when I finish anyway +pity+haha-- really wanted to use the violin player lol), but I just want to make sure I'm setting myself up for good rotations that I can get exposure and make enough connections/ good impressions to secure a solid residency. Can any current students comment on how happy they are with current rotations and what might be in the works for new students? Have students rotated outside of the list that Touro provided?

Thanks for all of your help everyone! And best of luck! 🙂