Tufts Class 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

claudiadent

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who have decided to go to Tufts, I've started this newest thread so that we could communicate any issues regarding immunizations, Financial Aid, housing, and any material that Tufts is sending out. Also, it's a way to help each other with the transition from undergrad to dental and from another city to Boston.

See you all this fall!

claudiadent

Members don't see this ad.

ouch!! don't those vaccines hurt? I got the tetanus one yesterday and my arm is so sore. How many of you have completed the vaccines...there are so many of them, its unbelievable. I feel like I am visiting the doctor every week for a different vaccine.

This is the list:

measles, mumps, rubella
varicella
hepatitis B
tetanus
TB
recommended: polio

Am I missing any?

Claudiadent
Tufts Class 2008

How come I cant find varicella on the list? And so far, I still haven't received any information on housing! SHould I call them and ask them?

Members don't see this ad :)
I finished my all my shots. Except for a tetanus. It says we should have one within the last 10 years. My last was in '95, so I have the option of waiting to get a booster next year.

I havent recieved any housing stuff either. They told me that they send that info sometime in April, so it should be in your mailbox any day now.

Varicella is the last one on the list. Yiou have to show history of the disease, or have an antibody titer done to see if you are immune. If negative, 2 doses are required.

If you go to www.tufts.edu/saha there will be a place to click "newly accepted students". All the forms are there...two of them. One for all the vaccines for your doctor to sign, and another for the hepatitis. Also, you need to be tested for infections prior to starting the series.

Claudiadent
Tufts Class 2008

You still have to have proof of having had the tetanus in 95...right?

AS far as housing goes....nothing. Will continue to wait. I have not even received anything regarding financial aid. It has been two 2 weeks since I sent my deposit in, and has been three since I was accepted. They say that it takes one month after getting accepted to receive the info right?

Claudiadent
Tufts Class 2008

highlanderdds said:
How come I cant find varicella on the list? And so far, I still haven't received any information on housing! SHould I call them and ask them?

Isn't that the same as chicken pox? It might just say chicken pox

Did everyone get a letter telling them to start collecting teeth? Can someone please tell me how many we need. I haven't gotten my letter yet. Thanks!

I have not been told by anyone that we need to collect teeth. How did you come to the conclusion that we need to do this by our first year?

hi, everybody
I havent recived any onfo about housing but i called them and they said that we should be getting some info in about a week or so. i still have to get 3 shots,1MMR, 1 varicella, and the second shot from hep B :scared: , thats on monday. I am going to send in my second deposit tomorrow. I didn't get any letters about collecting teeth, i didn't know we were suppose to in the near future :confused:

Are there any other requirments that i am missing ??, thanks!

Why are you scared Quick? Its just a vaccine....do you mean you are scared about the test results for the surface Hep antigen? I wouldn't worry about the vaccines....your arms may be sore but that is all. It's good to protect yourself.

Claudiadent
Tufts Class 2008

claudiadent said:
I have not been told by anyone that we need to collect teeth. How did you come to the conclusion that we need to do this by our first year?

Dental Dream...Can you tell us all about the letter you got and how many teeth we need to collect. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have not heard anything suggesting that we need to collect teeth for this fall. The interview handbook says nothing of the sort. I don't know why we would need a collection of half-destroyed, severly decayed teeth anyway. I would think we would need to able to identify and manipulate ideal teeth before we could master less-than-ideal teeth. Maybe for histology or study aids, I suppose. This just might be a rumor (or done at a few other schools).
On another topic, anyone know how the last round of board 1 scores came out (taken last summer)?

Hey guys,

After talking to a 1st year at tufts, I found out that we need to collect about 30 teeth prior to our 1st year. I think the memo will be sent to us "officially" later this month. I just decided to get a head start.

If you're wondering, just get a jar and store the teeth in a 1:10 diluted bleach solution.

Of course, there is a chance this student I was talking to was yanking my chain. Regardless, I have a jar of brown, decayed teeth sitting in my garage. :eek:

Hey guys,

Do you know if we need to have documentation to prove we had chicken pox (varicella)? How would you go about proving that you did have chicken pox?? I dont think that I documented it, who would?? :confused:

Documentation for chicken pox....maybe if you don't have documentation it is ok. I was under the impression that you needed it. Well, if you have to show that you are immune to chicken pox, then you can just have the antibody titer done. Well, I have never had chicken pox before, so I have to have the vaccine. Call up the health Administration Office just to make sure.

Claudiadent, i just dont like needles, i just got my wisdom tooth out yesturday and got poked with 3 needles and it hurt alot, not to mentoin couple weeks ago i got vacinated, but yea protection against a virus is always good :) . My arm doesn't really get sore after the vaccination shots,but the anticipation of a needle going in to my arm is definatly the worst part :( .

Got an email this morning! A 2nd deposit reminder!

"Just a reminder that your second deposit of $500 is due by 5:00 p.m. May 1, 2004 in order to hold your spot in TUSDM Class of 2008. It must be a certified check or money order made payable to "Trustees of Tufts College." Thanks and have a good weekend." :)

Hey future class mates,

So I just got an email from a tufts student that says that we do in fact have to collect teeth.

TUSDM class,

I just got off the phone with the SAHA. It turns out that if you have had chickenpox (varicella), you dont need any documentation to prove it. It even says on the form "Physician verification is not required for history of disease".

2 of my best friends are 2nd and 3rd year students at Tufts, and they said that they have NEVER heard of this crap about collecting teeth.

This freaking school is taking all my freaking money!

Oh well...

I feel your pain dental44.

When does everyone plan to make the move to Boston? I hoping to get there by late July/ early august to get fully settled in.

I plan to move there at the same time as you dental dream, late july early august, or maybe mid early august...ahhhh dont want o leave california ...probably mid august :) . As for tufts board averages,( first part)

Class of 98 --- 86.03

Class of 99 --- 86.53

Class of 00 --- 86.50

Class of 01 --- 87.10

Class of 02 --- 88.80 :)

Class of 03 --- 87.70

Class of 04 ---85.80

Class of 05 --- 85.9

Its kind of hard to say about Tufts Board Cores. They seem to be staying around the same range, but I think that really it depends entirely on the person and their study habits. If you want the 90% you can definately achieve it. Know your schedule and the times to study the material and you will be fine. Not that I have been through the boards aleady, but with all the other threads on boards, I see that the more you study the better you do....logical right?

For those of you planning to specialize what is it you are looking to do?

I will probably be leaving for Boston from Florida in mid August....cutting it close, I know, but am leaving in late june to visit family in colombia.

What I received today was a single-sheet form to be completed for student affairs...still no info on financial aid or housing.

Claudia,

I would suggest calling the financial aid office at Tufts and ask where your info is. As for housing, I havent recieved anything either.

Hi everyone,

I just got a packet with housing info and a memo regarding collection of teeth. You guys should be getting something soon too.

Aurora

I just recieved a packet today with houseing info and a memo about collecting about collecting teeth with a bunch of other stuff i haent looked at. I am sure you guys should be recieving someting in the mail soon.

You need teeth for the endo class. I remember one of the instructors had a jar of teeth in the back, but all of the greedy and competitive people in the class(about 50%) got the the bottle before I did. I remember someone that I thought was a friend wouldn't even give me a tooth when she had 5 of the same tooth. Unbelievable. I would collect teeth and bring them with you though! I don't think the endo class starts until the 2nd year though. It's better to be safe than sorry and have to beg around for a molar, in which you will probably end up getting one with curved roots or something ridiculous, from one of your future colleagues. Good luck to you all. You should all come out pretty well clinically prepared.

On the memo it says that the teeth will be used for coursework in restorative dentistry. The memo doesnnt say how many of each do we need does any one know ?
what school are you going to Dudelove? I hope our classs is not like that.. :(

she had FIVE of the same tooth and wouldn't give you one?!
sheesh.....
Are the tufts classmates in general pretty cutthroat like that, or is that more the exception to the rule?
I mean it is professional school, but still. I want to go out! I want to see boston! I want a social life outside of school....

hi everyone-I got the housing/teeth collection info packet on saturday (i'm a masshole so that's why I already got it :luck: )....and one of the sheets said they needed a copy of my college transcript...which made no sense to me because I graduated in 2003 and already sent my transcript months ago with my app....I mean it would make sense if I were a college senior and they wanted my spring grades, but I have no transcripts to send!! Is anyone in a similar situation? anyways....I am kind of excited about collecting teeth (in the nerdiest of ways, that is :p ) I look forward to meeting all of you this fall!

hi guys!!!

i am excited about collecting teeth, but im wondering how im going to transport them in a suitcase in taht 1:10 bleach / h20 solution. hee hee.

have any of you guys started lookin at housing? i remember our tour guide telling us that tufts actually pairs u up with an upperclassman that helps you find housing, do any of you guys remember this? or did i just misunderstand what she was saying?

Hello everyone,

I'm so stressed about having to borrow so much money for dental school. $250,000 is so much money. Is it just me or are you guys stressed about the price of tuition at Tufts as well? I'm new to the idea of student loans...does anyone know how much we would have to pay back each month after we graduate? Someone said you have to pay about $2000 a month in student loans after you graduate...that seems like an awful lot. Especially since you don't really make too much as a general dentist the first couple of years as an associate.

Aurora

I am a graduate of tufts.

Quick Slvr said:
On the memo it says that the teeth will be used for coursework in restorative dentistry. The memo doesnnt say how many of each do we need does any one know ?
what school are you going to Dudelove? I hope our classs is not like that.. :(

My class was pretty cutthroat. I assume it is the same everywhere. The big joke at tufts is that whoever becomes the class president has an automatic acceptance into ortho at the school. It's a very political school. You get a very good, expensive education. If you want to specialize, you are competing with a bunch of people and the top 20 usually are in the 90+ average range. You will have a social life if you want one. Oh yes, you can pretty much forget about specializing in endo at the school unless you are related to or your dad is best friends with the director, ortho you can pretty much forget unless you kiss some major ass or your dad is...you guessed it... best friend's with the director. OMFS barely ever takes anyone from tufts anyhow and the program sort of sucks anyhow. You will get a very good clinical experience but you have to be be a go getter. Good luck!

LITTLED said:
she had FIVE of the same tooth and wouldn't give you one?!
sheesh.....
Are the tufts classmates in general pretty cutthroat like that, or is that more the exception to the rule?
I mean it is professional school, but still. I want to go out! I want to see boston! I want a social life outside of school....

dudelove said:
Oh yes, you can pretty much forget about specializing in endo at the school unless you are related to or your dad is best friends with the director, ortho you can pretty much forget unless you kiss some major ass or your dad is...you guessed it... best friend's with the director. OMFS barely ever takes anyone from tufts anyhow and the program sort of sucks anyhow. You will get a very good clinical experience but you have to be be a go getter. Good luck!

Dudelove,
Do you mean that students from Tufts have a hard time getting into specialty programs? I'm interested in specializing in endo. Is Tufts a bad school to go to if you want to specialize?
Thanks for your help

DMDgirl2008 said:
Dudelove,
Do you mean that students from Tufts have a hard time getting into specialty programs? I'm interested in specializing in endo. Is Tufts a bad school to go to if you want to specialize?
Thanks for your help
15-20% of Tufts grads get into postgrads (about 25-30 students from a class of 150 students), I don't know what the beakdown of the programs the students got into... but the school provides all it's responsibilities fully to it's students to do well clinically and academically. So, I guess it's down to how hard the student works, and not on any guarantees to postgrad programs - this goes for any other school.

Endo is the hardest program to get in out of all, and extremely difficult to be accepted without post dental school experience.

They have statistics for that posted in their website.
What does the percentage say about the school? People keep sighting this figure. :confused:

Hey all!

So I see that you do in fact have to collect teeth! I have yet to receive the info. For those of you who have received the Tufts info on housing and collecting teeth, when did you get your financial aid info? I still have not received that, although I only sent in my deposit about 2 weeks ago.

So the teeth need to be collected in a solution of 1 part water and 10 parts bleach?

Claudia

claudiadent said:
Hey all!

So I see that you do in fact have to collect teeth! I have yet to receive the info. For those of you who have received the Tufts info on housing and collecting teeth, when did you get your financial aid info? I still have not received that, although I only sent in my deposit about 2 weeks ago.

So the teeth need to be collected in a solution of 1 part water and 10 parts bleach?

Claudia

Hello Claudia,

Did you get a conformation letter saying that they received your deposit? You might want to call them and see what's going on.

Yes...the teeth should be collected in household bleach diluted 1:10 with tap water.

Thanks for replying to my PM by the way. I still have to think about things a bit. :)

Aurora

Does anyone know how much they charge to live in the dorm?

agreed :)

compugirl, I also remember her saying that an upperclassman is hired to help students find housing (and roommates I think). Ppl with packets already... was there anything on this supposed person?

I've started to get an idea of where some apartments are.. I'm considering student housing (Posner), the Back Bay area and Beacon Hill area. Anyone who knows Boston well have comments on these areas?

hey ddstobe,

i got the package yesterday but there is no info about the person who is supposed to help find housing! maybe ill give them a call tomm to see when we are assigned to someone.

I have not received the housing info yet. However, I have been looking into apartment or loft rentals within Boston and right outside. Beacon Hill, Back Bay, Brookline, and they are all similar in prices for a one bedroom....around 1200-1400 a month. Are any of you going to have a car? Cause in Dorchester I saw apartment rentals that had two bedrooms for 1200 per month...so if you have a roomate than that is really cheap. I stayed in Dorchester during my interview, and it only took about 10 minutes to get from our hotel to the school, so I don't think it is that bad of a drive. Well, everyone keep us posted!

claudiadent

claudiadent

1200-1400 /month for one bedroom is a lot, don't you think? I remember seeing the budget for off-campus housing is only around 1000 (it's in the package).

Aurora,

Is $7820 for 9 or 12 months?

highlanderdmd

highlanderdds said:
Aurora,

Is $7820 for 9 or 12 months?

highlanderdmd

It's from August 28th, 2004 to June 30th, 2005. So about 10 months.