Tufts Class 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, I was just wondering, are you going to live by yourself or are most of you guys going to find roommates?

Members don't see this ad.

Not looking for a roomate!!!

I got the class roster, as many of you already did. I guess that is used to find a roomate if you wanted to.

Are any of you doing any studying before school starts? There was a thread of Nova students that have already gotten the dental decks for the boards.

claudiadent:)

I dont want a roommate, but the almighty dollar will probably force me to find one. Any takers?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I'll be in boston on the 24th for some apartment hunting. Will anyone else be in boston at that time?

Man - you should hold out til' the 4th of July! The celebration and festivities in Bean-town are off the hook at that time! The Boston Pops have a really amazing concert at the Esplanade, amongst other things.

Are you getting a realator to help you? I've been advised that that's a bad move. My wife and I are heading out around the 12th of next month to look around - and since it's our only trip before school starts, we MUST find something.

Either way...good luck with the apartments.

Reed1978 said:
Man - you should hold out til' the 4th of July! The celebration and festivities in Bean-town are off the hook at that time! The Boston Pops have a really amazing concert at the Esplanade, amongst other things.

Are you getting a realator to help you? I've been advised that that's a bad move. My wife and I are heading out around the 12th of next month to look around - and since it's our only trip before school starts, we MUST find something.

Either way...good luck with the apartments.

I'll use a realator as my absolute last option. Hopefully I can find a decent place on my own. I decided to do this now because I didnt want to be in boston during the Democratic Convention. The city will be so busy at that time.

My fiancee and I just signed a lease on a place a couple weeks ago. We'll be on St. Botolph Street (I little hike to school, but in an awesome location). We will be paying 1300/month in recently remodeled apartment with both heat and electric included (sweet). Finding a place for Aug 1st will be very difficult because about 90% of all places become available for Sept 1st. We spent a few days in the city and I must say-Boston is the coolest city around! I know this education will cost more, but living in the city will be a total experience. Good luck to all in finding a place-the neighborhoods in Back Bay and the South End are fantastic!

dental44- wow...1300. That is a lot. Is it a one bedroom in backbay?

From what I have seen, studio apts/1 bedrm places for $1300 is about the average. Beacon Hill has plenty of places that are easily twice as much. Although Dorchester has places for about 1/4 of this price...but who wants to live in Dorchester?

That information that Tufts sent us on housing put the 1300 per month price range as the high end apartments. They had some as low as 800 per month...though I'm sure they are not as nice or in as nice a location.

Reed-are you and your wife going to be living in a one bedroom? I know someone who is married and is living in a studio in backbay right now....though I don't know how that is going cause aren't they only like 300 square feet?

I'm not sure what size place we are gonna get yet. I have talked to a lot of apartment people already in Boston, and they have let me know that the addition of our 2 bulldogs will not be allowed in a studio. So chances are we will have to get a 2 bedroom apt. for our "kids". The army is paying for everything and giving us a monthly living stipend, so we can afford to go a little higher than what the newsletters deem as "high end". Parking is really going to be a nightmare though - we will have to pay at least 125-150 extra a month just to have our jeep on the side of the road.

We actually are thinking about living out in the suburbs (near Woburn). The commute is a little longer sure, but I think it might be nice to put some physical distance between myself and the school. Although, many of the places in Back Bay are tempting and hard to walk away from.

Did anyone else get the email for the roommate list? Mine's a complete mess, the headings are all out of alignment and takes a while to figure out whats what. I'm using microsoft word to run it.

If you want to live in Back Bay or the South End, $1300 will be about as cheap as you will find for a one bedroom. If you are cool with a studio (with absolutely no kitchen), then you could probably find a place for a bit cheaper. There are lots of awesome neighborhoods in Boston, however they will cost a bit of money. Personally, I was never expecting to find a decent place for much less than $1300 ($1300 is a very reasonable price for about 450-500 sq ft).

Members don't see this ad :)
dental44 said:
My fiancee and I just signed a lease on a place a couple weeks ago. We'll be on St. Botolph Street (I little hike to school, but in an awesome location). We will be paying 1300/month in recently remodeled apartment with both heat and electric included (sweet). Finding a place for Aug 1st will be very difficult because about 90% of all places become available for Sept 1st. We spent a few days in the city and I must say-Boston is the coolest city around! I know this education will cost more, but living in the city will be a total experience. Good luck to all in finding a place-the neighborhoods in Back Bay and the South End are fantastic!

Holy cow how did you manage to find such a location! :eek:
St.Botolph is right near copley. You totally lucked out with such low rent for such an awesome location.

Do any of you know if Tyler Street is in China town????

Tyler Street IS in Chinatown...and only about 3 minute walk to the school. Are you planning on living there? After walking around the area after the interview...I felt a little sketched out in that part of town.

hi Reed;

Actually, I don't know if I will be living there or not. I found this too good to be true place on Tyler street that is spacious, allows dogs, is walking distance to school and is inexpensive. I never walked around that area on my interview, so i don't know how safe or unsafe it seems. Any help or input would be greatly appreciated from anyone!!!

claudiadent

Well, you know what they say about anything that is too good to be true - it probably is. Maybe it's just me, but whenever I see something that is inexpensive in Boston, red flags go up! Being located close to school would be great, but there is a reason why the dental school is where it is (close proximity to a large patient pool - a lower class patient pool). If I thought the area was sketchy coming from S.Africa...it's really gotta be SKETCH-O-DELUX!! But who knows...I'm sure there are students who live there who think it's amazing and completely safe?

Hey guys,

I found a sweet apartment in malden directly across from the orange line. Its a 2 bed 2 bath, with a huge kitchen and living area. Not to mention the rooms, which are massive as well. The rent including utilities are 1800/month, and there is parking in an underground garage for only 70/month. If anyone is interested in rooming with me send me a PM. I'm looking for a non smoker.

Later!!

Bickle,

I noticed your from Canada but you are going to Tufts. How did you swing the financing? Were you able to get a loan from a Canadian bank?

dentite001 said:
Bickle,

I noticed your from Canada but you are going to Tufts. How did you swing the financing? Were you able to get a loan from a Canadian bank?

I got a loan from CanHelp, and a alberta provincal loan and also a canadian federal student loan.

are there any females out there that are looking for roommates? this apt search thing is going to be so hard!

Ben Karabell said:
Chinatown was a lil' too much for me so I plan on living in the suburbs and commuting............
Ohhhhhhhhh....By the way I'm Ben from Fort Collins, Colorado.

How long is your commute? Do you have to take the commuter train and then transfer to the T?

On another topic, does anyone know when we have to make our first tuition payment? And has anyone recieved anything in regards to a schedule or anything else of value?

Ben Karabell said:
About 40 min........tested it out in early may.

40 minutes isnt too bad. I'm used to driving 50 minutes for undergrad, my commute for tufts is around 20-25 minutes via the T.

I just got the discounted t pass order form from tufts. Which pass type are you guys going to choose?? The basic subway pass looks good to me, $140.80 for sept-dec.

I'll let you know tonight, I left the form on my desk.

Hey, not sure what your guys athletic prowess is - but everyone should really sign up for the Race for the Cure.

http://komenboston2004.kintera.org

As incentive - I will given anyone who gets within a minute of my time $50, and if you can beat my wife, I will give you $25. Yes...we're that fast.

Anyone interested in ordering textbooks as a group, this will allow us to get a bulk discount. I think we need atleast 50 people for the discount.

Ben Karabell said:
I think that will be too ?tuft? to orchestrate.

Yeah thats what I was just thinking. Your "tuft" jokes are getting tuft to handle. :scared:

about text books, u guy should really wait, as u might be able to get it from ur big bro/sis for either free, or if not then for really cheap, so i suggest u guys should contact them before buying any books...
Viraj D'06

Viraj said:
about text books, u guy should really wait, as u might be able to get it from ur big bro/sis for either free, or if not then for really cheap, so i suggest u guys should contact them before buying any books...
Viraj D'06

Wouldnt they still need them? The memo says to start purchasing them right now, but I think I'll be a rebel and wait a bit. Thanks

I hardly doubt it. if they would need it, then it will prolly next year for a little while for boards. also if ur big bro is nice, he will just give it to u, as long as u give it back to him...
viraj

Viraj said:
I hardly doubt it. if they would need it, then it will prolly next year for a little while for boards. also if ur big bro is nice, he will just give it to u, as long as u give it back to him...
viraj

Do you know when we get assigned to a big bro/sis? Can we pick them, or do we get assigned one?

yea! i want to know who my big bro/sis is! how exciting :D :p

Ben Karabell said:
I doubt I'll buy the science one's........ I've already taken the science classes on the list...the Micro book was the only dental specific that I saw. I hope we don't get assigned homework from the text otherwise I'll probably buy the text for that. Oh yeah........I'm down for the race..........

I'm confused. The texts are listed as required, but I also heard from some tufts students not to buy texts until school starts because some profs tell you you dont need them.

Bickle said:
I'm confused. The texts are listed as required, but I also heard from some tufts students not to buy texts until school starts because some profs tell you you dont need them.

Its probably gonna be like undergrad...I remember my first year, I was such a loser and did everything the prof told me...I bought all the books and all the supplementary stuff.....after realizing I was an idiot for doing so, I learned my lesson. By my 3rd year and up, I never bought any books.....Im assuming it?ll be the same for dental school...Im gonna wait a bit till I can get a better idea of how the game works...

Bickle said:
Wouldnt they still need them? The memo says to start purchasing them right now, but I think I'll be a rebel and wait a bit. Thanks

I agree with Viraj... don't buy your books until you get there (or at all.) I think Dr. Willson is going to force you all into buying Moore and Netter (for gross) b/c my class (D07) was never prepared in lab. I wouldn't recommend you get most of the books, the syllabus for each class is pretty much all that you need.

Oh, and as for living in the burbs, I know a lot of people that live in Malden and like it. It's on the Orange line and takes about 20-30 minutes to get into Boston and it's pretty cheap.

snsethy,

How late do the students stay on campus after school? Someone told me that her husband was at school until late a lot his first year. Just wondering how safe it is to travel on the T at night, especially in the winter when it gets dark earlier. Thanks for your help!

compugirl said:
snsethy,

How late do the students stay on campus after school? Someone told me that her husband was at school until late a lot his first year. Just wondering how safe it is to travel on the T at night, especially in the winter when it gets dark earlier. Thanks for your help!

Thats the one thing i hate most about the east, it gets dark so friggin early. During the summer, the sun sets at 10:30pm here in Calgary, no exaggeration. Winter is a different story, usually here it gets dark around 5:30pm.

snsethy said:
I agree with Viraj... don't buy your books until you get there (or at all.) I think Dr. Willson is going to force you all into buying Moore and Netter (for gross) b/c my class (D07) was never prepared in lab. I wouldn't recommend you get most of the books, the syllabus for each class is pretty much all that you need.

Oh, and as for living in the burbs, I know a lot of people that live in Malden and like it. It's on the Orange line and takes about 20-30 minutes to get into Boston and it's pretty cheap.

Cool, thanks.

Yeah, i'm extremely happy with my Malden apt, its a nice residential area, and I dont have too walk to far to get access to boston.

compugirl said:
snsethy,

I lived in the dorms last year so I tended to go between home and school more than most. I think most people stayed until 10-11 which is when the library/Sackler closes. After that time you can go across the street to some other buildings (M&V, Jaharis, South Cove) where there are a lot of offices and conference rooms you can study in until the people that are actually supposed to be using them come to work the next morning (and they have nice water coolers/single cup coffee makers in them that you can use to help you stay up.) On occasion I would stay there until around 4 AM, but I don't really study until the last minute, the only class I really studied for on a regular basis was Gross.

If you do leave late at night you can always go to the police station in M&V and have them walk or drive you to where you're going. Last year this one girl lived by Arlington station (about 7 blocks away from school) and would have the cops drive her home. Other people that lived in the dorms with me would have someone walk them down the blocks to the dorms. There are a lot of pimps that walk that street (harrison) and quite a few homeless that sit under the vents of the hospital to keep warm. I think now with the Metropolitan (the apartment building behind the hospital) open it will be somewhat better.

I've never had trouble taking the T at night, as Boston is generally a safe place, but then again I rarely took the T by myself. I'm living in the North End next year so I guess I'll be taking it a lot more, but I still wouldn't be worried about it. You don't generally hear about people getting mugged or anything on the T. Come to think of it, the only times I've really taken the T at night was coming home from North Eastern around midnight (they have a HUGE library and free printing) and I never felt worried.

Ben Karabell said:
I doubt I'll buy the science one's........ I've already taken the science classes on the list...the Micro book was the only dental specific that I saw. I hope we don't get assigned homework from the text otherwise I'll probably buy the text for that. Oh yeah........I'm down for the race..........

DO NOT buy the micro book. You don't need it as most of the lectures have handouts and nothing comes from the books. I bought one of them (the dental related one) and never even cracked it, then the bookstore wouldn't even buy it back. I'll let you use mine if you really think you need it.