Tufts Class 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was wondering...what made all of you decide to go to Tufts? I got accepted there and was wondering what factors led to this decision?? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

high;

yeah, 1200-1400 is a lot, especially compared to where I live right now. But I have not received the housing info, so am just going on what I have found on the internet.

So do any of you know if there are laptop requirements for the school? i know BU was selling a laptop to its students, but am unaware of one being required at TUfts. Was any of that info on the housing package that you guys received?

Also, who has found a dentist to "donate" the teeth you will be needing?

claudiadent,

Check out this website http://www.bostonforrent.com/. Do a search and the apartment price isn't so bad there! As for laptop, Tufts does not require student to have one!

highlanderdmd

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello;

I have been trying to get teeth donated to me, but the oral surgeons and dentists i have been to are saying that it is against the law to give teeth because they are considered biohazzardous and could cause contamination. So is this true for all states? I am in florida. Have the rest of you been having any luck with dentists and teeth?

Claudia:)

Some of the New York oral sugeons have agreed to give me teeth.

Hey guys,
when do you think is a good time to go get housing? Im thinking of going in mid june....
Im so nervous to move across country! :scared:

You can save 30-40% of the dorm's price if you live outside down-town Boston area. I live 25 mins (by T) away from Tufts for $680 (including utilities) per month in a shared apartment.

whats this teeth thing??? i think its the oddest thing in the world! when you tell me that the school expects YOU to collect them, it reminds me of the really lame highschool I went to...

get our own test tubes, thermometers, etc

No, it's not the worst school to go to if you want to specialize, but honestly it isn't the best either. The majority of my classmates who went on to specialize didn't really deserve it. Well ok I can't say the majority, but I can definitely say that everyone who went into endo didn't deserve to get in solely based on grades, board scores, etc... Do your best, but you are competing against a ton of people.

DMDgirl2008 said:
Dudelove,
Do you mean that students from Tufts have a hard time getting into specialty programs? I'm interested in specializing in endo. Is Tufts a bad school to go to if you want to specialize?
Thanks for your help

Hey guys,

I'm currenty a student at Tufts Dental in search of a new roommate. If any of you guys are interested email me.
[email protected]

Dudelove;

Are you a student at Tufts? Well, how did your classmates get into a postgraduate program if they didn't deserve it? They must have had the GPA's, class rank and board scores right?

gutta_percha said:
Hey guys,

I'm currenty a student at Tufts Dental in search of a new roommate. If any of you guys are interested email me.
[email protected]

Hi,

I was wondering if you could just post a little bit more info about the place for everyone to see.

BTW I tried e-mailing you ([email protected]) and it got returned.

Thanks Aurora

Members don't see this ad :)
Well guys, to be honest, after my first year (well 75% of it) my class is fairly lax and laid back with each other. There are some who do not like to share or just keep to themselves, but I have no problem with the class as a whole. Maybe I'm just naive, but ignorance is bliss, right?

To clarify some things, Dudelove is a graduate of the school, but he has very helpful info with regards to what to expect. You can also be assured that what he says aobut specializing at Tufts being mostly true. I don't know how true the class pres thing is, though. However, you can count on the school constantly changing. There are and will be admin problems and qualms at every school you go to. I've experience the UC system, Rutgers, and now Tufts. Every one of these schools is politically driven to some extent. Some more than others. So, where ever you guys go, be ready to put some work into your own progress. NOTHING will be spoon fed, and you can't expect it to be.

Now that that's out of the way, congrats and welcome to an excellent (so far for me) clinical and academic school. I know I will graduate from here a competant and successful dentist. Will I graduate from here moving on into specialty? Who knows, but it's possible. A D'04 will be going to UCLA for prostho I believe, and it's supposed to be an EXCELLENT school for that program...and she was accepted that day when they called her cell phone to tell her RIGHT BEFORE HER FLIGHT BACK HOME. So, have no fear about specializing. You just have to work hard and keep up real well.

Dudelove, I appreciate all your posts. Hope you have no hard feelings against Tufts. Seems like you got shafted with your class.

dudelove said:
Oh yes, you can pretty much forget about specializing in endo at the school unless you are related to or your dad is best friends with the director

Dudelove,

Just to clarify...do you mean Tufts dental students getting into specialty programs anywhere or getting into a specialty program at Tufts?

Thanks
Aurora

Well thought out and so true. I did not get shafted at Tufts. On the contrary, I feel that the education that I received was an excellent one and provided me with an excellent means to diagnose, treatment plan and complete procedures. I am only commenting that it is difficult to specialize from Tufts due to the class size and the fact that there are 40 or so students in every class that try hard. My year let's see...2 people got into ortho(one at columbia due to dad) and the other at tufts due to the fact he was the class president. Endo 2(both had families that knew dr. green VERY well). OMS 1. GPR a ton. It took one or 2 more years of reapplication for people in my class to gain acceptance to endo, ortho and oms. Maybe my year sucked, but I do recall the year before and the year before sucking as well.

As I said, I am quite content with the education I received. I was not content with the politics, which I guess you have at every school. Oh yes, some pieces of advice...on the clinic floor avoid the denture guy with a bow tie and glasses as he will more than likely make you redo everything for no apparent reason. Good luck.

drPheta said:
Well guys, to be honest, after my first year (well 75% of it) my class is fairly lax and laid back with each other. There are some who do not like to share or just keep to themselves, but I have no problem with the class as a whole. Maybe I'm just naive, but ignorance is bliss, right?

To clarify some things, Dudelove is a graduate of the school, but he has very helpful info with regards to what to expect. You can also be assured that what he says aobut specializing at Tufts being mostly true. I don't know how true the class pres thing is, though. However, you can count on the school constantly changing. There are and will be admin problems and qualms at every school you go to. I've experience the UC system, Rutgers, and now Tufts. Every one of these schools is politically driven to some extent. Some more than others. So, where ever you guys go, be ready to put some work into your own progress. NOTHING will be spoon fed, and you can't expect it to be.

Now that that's out of the way, congrats and welcome to an excellent (so far for me) clinical and academic school. I know I will graduate from here a competant and successful dentist. Will I graduate from here moving on into specialty? Who knows, but it's possible. A D'04 will be going to UCLA for prostho I believe, and it's supposed to be an EXCELLENT school for that program...and she was accepted that day when they called her cell phone to tell her RIGHT BEFORE HER FLIGHT BACK HOME. So, have no fear about specializing. You just have to work hard and keep up real well.

Dudelove, I appreciate all your posts. Hope you have no hard feelings against Tufts. Seems like you got shafted with your class.

Aurora, my piece of advice to you is this...Go the extra mile and study hard and spend time in the preclin and kiss butt. When you do all of this, and if you have a semi-decent personality, you will probably get into a specialty. It may take a year or 2, but you will probably do it. Just do well and relax. Speculation on my comments is not healthy. You may not even want to specialize.

Aurora said:
Dudelove,

Just to clarify...do you mean Tufts dental students getting into specialty programs anywhere or getting into a specialty program at Tufts?

Thanks
Aurora

Hi:

Are any of your families going to be attending orientation?

claudiadent

Highlanderdds;

Guess it is because your fam is all the way across the country.....Ca???

Claudia

yeah, they are all in CA! Maybe my cousin will go with me since she is starting school in Boston area in the fall as well! Is your family gonna attend the orientation? Have you also checked out 2 of the housing links that I emailed you last week?

highlanderdds:

Yeah, I checked them out...sory I forgot to mention them :(

Well, I have yet to really dig deep and find a place that is affordable, nice and close to the school. I think I am going to wait on the Tufts housing help later on in May because they know which places are the nicest. Plus I want to get a dog and so I have to find a place that will allow them. When are you moving to Boston?

Nobody is REALLY thinking of bringing their family along to orientation are they? Is it just me, or does this seem like something that should have ended in elementary school? Are we going to have parent/teacher meetings too to discuss our progress at school? Maybe we could have a Fall open-house and we can bring in mom and dad and show them the wax-ups that we got A's on.

I wonder if my family can just fill in for me at orientation and I can just bounce up to Rumney and pull down 5.13's at Waimae...or maybe I'll go and bag the top 10 peaks in the Presidential range naked (save for my loupes of course).

Bye.

Reed,

I wasn't really thinking about bringing anyone to the orientation. HOwever, I was looking at one of those Tufts periodicals, in which it says there were more than 300+ guests attended the orientation last year! There were also pictures of the events! it just seems like people DO bring their parents to the orientation!!

I know my parents are going...and there is nothing wrong with that. They definitely want to see where I will be spending the next 4 years of my life. This is the first time I will be away from home, so they are not going to be missing this at all! Besides, they want to see where their hard earned money is going to go!

Claudiadent

My parents and sister might be going to the orientation. I think the "family day" is only one day of the week long orientation, so its not like your parents will be holding your hand for a week.

So far it sounds like the future Tufts students on SDN are pretty cool. Hopefully we'll have a fun class.

Wooooo - calm down everybody...

If you want to bring your parents along, that's cool - I'll just have to make sure that I wear my wig (i.e. wig) for the occassion.

I realize that your families are coming from a long way off, and so it's important for them to attend - afterall, what's good for the moose is good for the gander.

However - I still plan on bagging the first nude ascent of mt. washington (with my wig and loupes mind you).

Bye.

highlanderdds said:
Reed,

I wasn't really thinking about bringing anyone to the orientation. HOwever, I was looking at one of those Tufts periodicals, in which it says there were more than 300+ guests attended the orientation last year! There were also pictures of the events! it just seems like people DO bring their parents to the orientation!!

Yeah, I read that article too - only I'm quite sure that it didn't say "more than 300+ guests...". I think it said that there were like 7 people in attendance. Mmmm, not record-breaking numbers - but hey, a penny saved is a penny burned - am I right?

OK...people may bring their parents - but how dare you insist that I bring my parents!!!

Bye.

Reed1978 said:
Yeah, I read that article too - only I'm quite sure that it didn't say "more than 300+ guests...". I think it said that there were like 7 people in attendance. Mmmm, not record-breaking numbers - but hey, a penny saved is a penny burned - am I right?

OK...people may bring their parents - but how dare you insist that I bring my parents!!!

Bye.
who cares if you bring your parents! :eek: yawn :sleep:

to those accepted.............how did you find out you were in? email? snail mail? phone call?
some people had said they got an email and some didnt so thats why i ask the question

When are you guys ging to start looking for apartments? Will tufts hold any kind of housing orientation? I'm soo excited :D

Kkrew;

Why...are you waitlisted? Well, I found out via snail mail. It has not even changed on infosource....but it is different for everyone.

Claudia

They e-mailed me on December 1st.

Apartment hunting will be an interesting process. There seem to be some really nice places in Back Bay and Brookline for around $1500-1600, and the North End has some really nice looking places as well.

There are a lot of on-line sites that show photos and give good descriptions of various places. The consensus seems that we will end up having to pay a lot to live - buuuuut, Boston is certainly worth the dime!

Just wondering, has anyone gotten info on housing yet?
thx-
little d

Littled, I received my houseing info about 3 weeks ago. If you havent received anything, try to call them to see whats going on. As for me, i will be living in the dorms.
Anyone else living in the dorms??? :)

Quick slvr,

You already found out that you got into the dorm?

The only thing I recieved on housing was the dorm contract. I have yet to recieve any off campus housing info.

for those of you looking for off-campus housing for this fall, look into places by cambridge / medford / somerville. you'll have to take the T downtown, but the ride is only 20 min away from chinatown, and the rent is much, MUCH cheaper. i live in beacon hill now (close to work), but i went to tufts undergrad and i personally think living conditions are alot easier when u get a little bit away from the city. look into the fenway / BU area as well; downtown is nice but simple things like grocery shopping become a nightmare when u have to cab or T everywhere.

For those of you guys thinking about living off campus, are you going to look into apartments walking distance from campus or subway distance? Im not sure what to do yet. I am thinking about going to Boston early July to look for apartments. When do you guys plan on looking?

I would definitely like to get an apartment walking distance to school, but I think it is too much to spend per month. Ao I am planning on taking the sub. Thinking of going early august.

I'm used to a long commute. For undergrad I drove to school 30-45 mins each way every day. So if I have to live far from the school to save some $ then so be it. 20 min on the T doesnt seem that bad.

I thought we were going to get someone to help us find an apartment by the end of May? Have any of you received this info yet?

claudiadent said:
I thought we were going to get someone to help us find an apartment by the end of May? Have any of you received this info yet?

I emailed them last week, and they said we should be getting housing info/listings in 2 weeks. So in about a week from now, we should be hearing from them.

claudiadent said:

Why don't you just let you parents find one for you?

Hey guys,

I was wondering when any of you will be in boston to look for an apartment? I will be going in the end of June to find a place.

I'll be there around that time too. I want to avoid the Democratic Convention, which is in mid july.

Received my Financial Aid package this morning! There's also a class contact list of class of 2008.

I also received the financial package...but no class list????

I got the class list today. Whats the point of it? Roommate search?

is it just a list of teh students and a way to contact them?

claudiadent said:
is it just a list of teh students and a way to contact them?

Yeah, pretty much.