Tufts Cummings c/o 2015 applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any accepted students going to the Accepted Students Day March 30th? Or also, any Tufts vet students planning to be around that day?
I'm trying to make it work.

Just curious: Did Tufts send out all of their stuff yet??? I know they're having their acceptance day already, but, has everyone heard from there or are there people still waiting? (Sorry to pour salt in a wound, but I'm genuinely curious!) Hugs & :biglove: to waiting if you still are :(

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know what sort of case load Tufts has (broken up by large, small, wildlife if you know it)? I've checked out the website but don't see anything and I'm curious. Thanks :)

I can't remember the exact percentages Laura told my tour group last summer but if I had to guess, I think it was something like 70-80% SA, 10-25% LA/Equine, 5-10% Wildlife.... I'm sure someone knows/remembers better than I do, though... :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't remember the exact percentages Laura told my tour group last summer but if I had to guess, I think it was something like 70-80% SA, 10-25% LA/Equine, 5-10% Wildlife.... I'm sure someone knows/remembers better than I do, though... :)

I'm not exactly sure either. I can call adcom/ask around to the Tufts vet students I know of if you want, that redhead.

It seems with Tufts, it's all about what you make of it......I plan to make mine more LA & wildlife. With a bit of SA love of course :biglove:

Thanks to you both but I'm actually wondering what the numbers are for a typical year, not just percentages :) Anything you can find out would be great but I could email them myself too. Just wondered if anyone remembered off the top of their head!

Hey there,
Approximate # of caseloads per year:

Wildlife: about 1600-1800.
Large animal Hospital: 2500 patients per year in LAH. 80% are horses, 12-13% are alpacas, and the remaining includes sheep, cows, pigs.
Small Animal Hospital: Over 25,000 patients are seen annually.
• Approx. 9,000 come in through emergency services.
• Mostly dogs and cats; but are seeing a growing number of exotics, in particular, rabbits and ferrets.

This is from admissions!
Hope it helps!
Jill :)
V'14

I just sent back my form to Tufts saying I will not be attending the school, so hopefully this means an alternate will hear back soon??

I just sent back my form to Tufts saying I will not be attending the school, so hopefully this means an alternate will hear back soon??

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!:) I think we won't hear anything until after april 15th even if you decline before the deadline. But thanks for giving us some hope!! :laugh:

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!:) I think we won't hear anything until after april 15th even if you decline before the deadline. But thanks for giving us some hope!! :laugh:

Really? Aw man, that's too bad. Good luck, good luck!!

I am only on the alternate list but I am declining the offer to stay on the list because I was accepted at my #1. Hopefully that gives all the waitlisters some more hope!!

So i was checking out the stats for the previous years and it seems like they are accepting more OOS than IS. In the 2013 class it was 50% IS and in the 2014 class it was 33%.

Tufts is lowering their standards in order to have more out of state students because they are losing a lot of their funding from the state. Also my friend last year was on the alternate list, they called her about a week and a half before classes start. Also some school call during the first week when classes start. So don't lose hope!

Tufts is lowering their standards in order to have more out of state students because they are losing a lot of their funding from the state. Also my friend last year was on the alternate list, they called her about a week and a half before classes start. Also some school call during the first week when classes start. So don't lose hope!

How does accepting more OOS students mean that they're lowering their standards? The sole reason for this is that OOS tuition is slightly more expensive, lessening the blow of the state budget cuts. There could be way more qualified people in the OOS pool that normally wouldn't be accepted because they're not IS. The ratio of OOS to IS students has nothing to do with their standards. In fact, if they accepted mostly IS students like in the past, they could be missing out on potentially much better applicants from elsewhere in the country just because they give preference to students from their own state first.

Members don't see this ad :)
How does accepting more OOS students mean that they're lowering their standards? The sole reason for this is that OOS tuition is slightly more expensive, lessening the blow of the state budget cuts. There could be way more qualified people in the OOS pool that normally wouldn't be accepted because they're not IS. The ratio of OOS to IS students has nothing to do with their standards. In fact, if they accepted mostly IS students like in the past, they could be missing out on potentially much better applicants from elsewhere in the country just because they give preference to students from their own state first.

Agree, turqoise! Lowering standards my foot. Excuse me for coming from OOS:p

A bit more info from admissions! I called up today and had talked about my application. My interview was my weakest point, but hey, who can be perfect under all that pressure? :p

Anyways, for us waitlisters: Only 10 people have sent in their deposit for Tufts (6 of which are SDNers :highfive:) That is the only numbers she gave me so far. The financial aid packets will be going out next week so students have from around April 1st to make their decision. After that, she said the *earliest* we will hear about being pulled off the alternate list is May 1st. If we do get called off, it will be a phone call, not an email to an updated status again :D. In July we will get another paper in the mail asking if we want to continue to stay on the wait-list.

If you haven't done so already, all you alternates should set up an appointment with Laura to discuss your application! You can still see if you can improve something for admissions while we sit here and wait.

Patty told me that 5 people declined their seats.

Thats it?!?!? Hopefully more will come in around april 15th. She said she usually has to track down people after the date to get their final decision. Those I assume will be mostly declines. :xf:

Anyone applying to the Vet International Leadership Program? Sounds like a great opportunity!

Sry I should have clarified- I meant lowering their standards such as if you needed a 3.8 or 3.7 to be considered out of state, they are now deciding to look at lower GPA's kind of thing, that is what my advisor said. And I totally agree there are many qualified OOS students don't get me wrong by that.

Hmm I wonder where my packet is since it usually only takes 1 day for the mail to get from the school to my apartment. For those who live further away, they'll end up only having like 2 days from the time of receiving their financial aid packet and the deadline for accepting or rejecting Tufts' offer of admittance. :thumbdown: I've already made up my mind (Tufts Tufts Tufts!) but I'm guessing that's an important factor for some folks.

Has anyone received their financial aid packet yet?

Someone asked about that on Admitted Students Day. I believe they're actually sending our financial aid information in an email (so everyone will get it at the same time). They said we should expect to receive them between today and Friday. :)

Here's one more. I love Tufts, but practicality is winning out, and I'll go to my IS. Good luck to all the waitlisters! :luck:

Here's one more. I love Tufts, but practicality is winning out, and I'll go to my IS. Good luck to all the waitlisters! :luck:

Aw man, sorry to hear it. I know you loved Tufts! You'll have an awesome time anyways at your IS! And hopefully me or SJB gets your spot! :D

I did totally love Tufts. But now someone else can come in and love it too. Fingers crossed for BOTH you and SJB, whyevernot55!

I did totally love Tufts. But now someone else can come in and love it too. Fingers crossed for BOTH you and SJB, whyevernot55!

Thanks so much!! I am dying to get this stuff straightened out. I have to hold myself back from calling up Patty everyday and checking how many declined so far. ;)

Thanks so much!! I am dying to get this stuff straightened out. I have to hold myself back from calling up Patty everyday and checking how many declined so far. ;)

Oh man... if I'd been on the wait list (and not admitted at my IS, or if Tufts were my IS) Patty would have had to block my phone number by now. And maybe take out a restraining order, too, to stop my pestering.

If positive thoughts could get you in, you guys would be there already!! You've got mine, for sure! :luck:

Hi,
Just a note for anyone waiting for space at Tufts, I just sent my declination to Tufts yesterday. If it makes any difference, I'm OOS. Tufts is a wonderful school, and it was hard to send that declination, but I'm going to UC Davis. Good luck to all of you :luck:

Oh man... if I'd been on the wait list (and not admitted at my IS, or if Tufts were my IS) Patty would have had to block my phone number by now. And maybe take out a restraining order, too, to stop my pestering.

If positive thoughts could get you in, you guys would be there already!! You've got mine, for sure! :luck:

Hi,
Just a note for anyone waiting for space at Tufts, I just sent my declination to Tufts yesterday. If it makes any difference, I'm OOS. Tufts is a wonderful school, and it was hard to send that declination, but I'm going to UC Davis. Good luck to all of you :luck:

Thanks guys! It seems so hard because everyone who visits Tufts just falls in love with it. I am probably going to call up Patty next week again :D just to check my chances of getting off the waitlist. It didnt move at all last year and i'm REALLY hoping that changes this year! :xf::xf::xf:

Good Luck and UC Davis and the other schools you decide on. Either way you guys are going to be awesome vets!!

*Bump!*

I called Patty this morning, the class was not full on April 15th, but they had already called some girls off the wait-list on friday (not me, grrr!). They have until next week to decide to accept or decline, and then its back to us on the waitlist if there are some more spaces. :scared:

Please Please Please someone decline their spot! :xf::xf::xf:

*Bump!*

I called Patty this morning, the class was not full on April 15th, but they had already called some girls off the wait-list on friday (not me, grrr!). They have until next week to decide to accept or decline, and then its back to us on the waitlist if there are some more spaces. :scared:

I saw two of those girls accept on facebook =(. I hope there are more spots of us. :xf::xf:

*Bump!*

Thanks. Now I have another ulcer. :barf:

I saw two of those girls accept on facebook =(. I hope there are more spots of us. :xf::xf:

Thanks. Now I have another ulcer. :barf:

I also saw those girls on fb, Kaydubs tipped me off that the waitlist was moving even though they said the *earliest* we would hear would be may 1st. Growl :sendoff:. I emailed Patty once i was able to collect my jello brain and ask her how many people they called off the wait-list. I'm really hoping its more than two :xf:

And yeah, i'm pretty sure my stomach is going to implode any minute now, and it might with each phone call that comes next week.

Lets rally together guys! I want all of us up in Ma this fall!! :luck:

I also saw those girls on fb, Kaydubs tipped me off that the waitlist was moving even though they said the *earliest* we would hear would be may 1st. Growl :sendoff:. I emailed Patty once i was able to collect my jello brain and ask her how many people they called off the wait-list. I'm really hoping its more than two :xf:

And yeah, i'm pretty sure my stomach is going to implode any minute now, and it might with each phone call that comes next week.

Keep us posted. My newest ulcer wants to know. :rolleyes: Plus uncertainty is a b!tch.

So I called her today as well. She told me 10 people got called. She also told me that they give them 10 days to decide. I was pretty upset as well, I just want to get in already.

So I called her today as well. She told me 10 people got called. She also told me that they give them 10 days to decide. I was pretty upset as well, I just want to get in already.

Just got my email from Patty, she said 27 alternates were admitted last week. :confused: Kinda gives me more hope that maybe a few of those will decline, but also makes me frustrated that we didn't get in with such a large wave coming off the wait list. :(

More Hoping and Praying going on this week :xf::luck:

Just got my email from Patty, she said 27 alternates were admitted last week. :confused: Kinda gives me more hope that maybe a few of those will decline, but also makes me frustrated that we didn't get in with such a large wave coming off the wait list. :(

More Hoping and Praying going on this week :xf::luck:

TWENTY SEVEN?!?!! Are you shi**ing me? :eek:

Thanks guys. I hope you guys also get good news soon!!! There is still hope just hang in there. It seems like the list is moving very fast so who knows!

Congrats esp. to evilcottonrat! :D On a side note- Dear Tufts: Please make room for Whyevernot55 & SJB.. Kay thanks :biglove: :biglove:

If you could let them know....that'd be great. :p I emailed yesterday because no one answered the phone when I called, to ask about adding additional experience to my file. Like OMG please let me in, look I'm volunteering with sheep now too!

If you could let them know....that'd be great. :p I emailed yesterday because no one answered the phone when I called, to ask about adding additional experience to my file. Like OMG please let me in, look I'm volunteering with sheep now too!

Trust me, if I knew that it was okay to do so, I would've spoken to the powers that will. Keep calling, W55- they answer phones faster than emails, so I've been told!

Try also to get more recommendations and also maybe do a letter of intent. Thats what I did.

Write a letter for the admissions committee talking about your new experience, and what you are doing. I did that and I emailed it to Laura last friday, which of course she was out of the office from then until wednesday and didn't get it in time for the first wave of wait-list evaluations. *Fail* :eyebrow: I didn't get a new letter of recommendation because she said the ones I had already were strong, but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt. :poke:

I'm expecting they will be out for a long weekend because of easter. So I wouldn't expect a phone call until next tuesday..... But you never know though! They certainly have proved me and themselves wrong before with this whole wait-list stuff! :whistle:

Write a letter for the admissions committee talking about your new experience, and what you are doing. I did that and I emailed it to Laura last friday, which of course she was out of the office from then until wednesday and didn't get it in time for the first wave of wait-list evaluations. *Fail* :eyebrow: I didn't get a new letter of recommendation because she said the ones I had already were strong, but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt. :poke:

I'm expecting they will be out for a long weekend because of easter. So I wouldn't expect a phone call until next tuesday..... But you never know though! They certainly have proved me and themselves wrong before with this whole wait-list stuff! :whistle:

Don't beat yourself up too much, SJB. And this is all great advice. I'll keep sending positive vibes up to Tufts!!