Tufts or Robert Wood Johnson?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

precisionplus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I know that these questions are becoming annoying. But I really appreciate the input that people give and I think that they are often helpful for others. I am curious what you all think about Tufts and Robert Wood Johnson and which you would choose over the other. I am not too familiar with either school and the "correct answer" might be obvious. If so, let me know so that I can decide!

actually where would drexel fit into this mix?

Members don't see this ad.

I was accepted at both schools, in state at RWJ and without a doubt I would choose RWJ if you are in-state. Tufts is way too expensive and if you are concerned about rankings and prestige, Tufts is barely in the top 50 and RWJ is almost in it. The difference between the two schools is not that great. I think Tufts is a good school and Boston is cool, but its not worth the money if you got in RWJ.

RWJ has a great reputation. It's a strong school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to Tufts! You can't beat the location (boston is spectacular) and new brunswick is awful...believe me, i did my undergrad there! :p

If you want to stay in the northeast, RWJ has a strong reputation. I vote RWJ unless you want to live in Boston.

I have a feeling that Niema and I have *shockingly* similar opinions of NB :).

As for Tufts vs. RWJ.... it's a tough one. If you REALLY like Tufts and/or REALLY dislike RWJ, then go to Tufts. If you're in the middle though, then probably RWJ is a better choice. If I hadn't gotten into UPitt, I would have gone to RWJ because I didn't feel that Einstein, Jeff, and other similarly ranked schools (like Tufts) aren't worth the price tag.

Good luck!

isn't rwj kinda near nyc? also, how bout if we take money out of the picture, would you then say that tufts would be better than rwj? or are they about equal in terms of curriculum and prestige?

RWJ is about an hour train ride from NYC. Taking money out of the picture, I would definetely go with Tufts. I don't know much about their curriculum, but RWJ's really sucks... very traditional, etc. My bf is a 2nd year there and doesn't like it at all. In terms of prestige, I would say that Tufts has a better national rep, but not by much.

i dont see how you could possibly justify paying almost 100k more to go to tufts. tufts is pretty much the most expensive medical school in the country, in one of the most expensive cities.

There is no question here. Clearly, Robert W.J. is the school for you. Tufts is in the mind of a few people a better school, but not enough to make up for the price tag. And the reputation of RWJ is quite goood. It's a strong program. Why take on the debt? It's not worth it.

I agree. I'm from NJ, and I found that RWJ was actually pretty nice - the students seemed happy and the profs weren't bad at all. On my own list, RWJ was significantly higher than Tufts, since I didn't think Tufts really would help me in terms of getting into better residencies. The quality of life of Tufts isn't that great and students at RWJ spoke pretty positively about their time there when compared to those at other schools.

i think you should compare matchlists, location, and composition of the student body more than price. 100k difference is not much, as this is the only financial investment that you're career's trajectory depends on. besides, 100k is a only a sizeable fraction of what a typical specialty or private practice md makes in one year.

i am going to tufts, and i was pleasantly surprised to see how well the students placed. They have a post in allopathic i think where people posted their match lists, and Tufts did very well. I am sure the proximity to harvard is what enables so many harvard affiliated matches, i think it was like 17 last year, but thats pretty good regardless. most people match into good places and a lot to NYC, LA, and boston from what i saw. you'd be hard pressed to find another state school or private school ranked near tufts to have a similar list. i think the list shows that tufts students matched significantly better than mount sinai (among others), which was a school a school i was considering as well. i haven't seen mount sinai's actual list or anything, this is just a quick comparison i made.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=110559&page=10&pp=25

here's the link for last years match: http://www.tufts.edu/med/medissue/M'06%2004%2027%2003/news/articles/matchlist.htm

i figured i'd post it so in case someone wanted to attack me for making any positive remark about tufts. seriously, if someone can't afford it, fine, but let's not act tufts = nymed, temple, or robert wood...i've seen THOSE matchlists baby. tufts list is good, lots of surgery, lots of good locations.

Obviously location is a big factor when considering Tufts. Personally, I would prefer Boston to just about any other place in the country (New York, DC, and San Francisco would compare). Consider what your priorities are. If you were considering Tufts versus a UC school, then things might be different.

Members don't see this ad :)
i know this will probably end up causing some disagreements, but why do people make their decisions about where to study medicine for the next 4 years based on money? You'll be a doctor. You'll pay it off. I think your everyday life is worth the pricetag. I'm telling you that NB is not the place to spend your 20s. You should really visit to find out. Boston is amazing! It's your life..I know we're in med school to learn, but you should really think about where you want to spend the rest of your time.

The only great place to study around NB was Cafe 52, and it burned down a couple of months ago. The med students who I've spoken with generally don't like it and seemed always stressed out. I don't know anyone who goes to Tufts Med, but a few of my friends were Ugrads there, and they loved it. And I spent a few months both in Cambridge and in Boston and I can tell you that it's awsome there! Good luck.

I would have to say that if you are deciding between 2 schools and seriuosly considering both, than you should factor in money. If either school would be acceptable to you, why pay so much more money. I think if Tufts is your dream school, then sure pay the money, but if it isn't, why bother?

bearpaw said:
i think you should compare matchlists, location, and composition of the student body more than price. 100k difference is not much, as this is the only financial investment that you're career's trajectory depends on. besides.

And let's also not act as if tufts is Pittsburgh, Northwestern, or Emory. And there are plenty of people who argue that those schools ranked MUCH higher than tufts aren't worth the extra money over an average state school. Their are only 5 or 6 schools that I'm sure I would fork out the extra 80-120k to go to over my state school, and places like tufts, jefferson, and GW aren't in that league.

Yes, there might be *slight* advantages to picking a school like Tufts, Jefferson, etc over a school like Uconn or Umass or RWJ. But I would still argue that there is no advantage. But still, I will admit the small possibility that there is a miniscule difference. Just like I'll admit the small possibility that Heinz ketchup tastes a little better than Hunt's, but I'm not going to pay $12.50 for a bottle of Heinz rather than $2.50 for a bottle of Hunt's.

Look, I understand how some students want to go to a prestigious school. But schools like Jefferson and Tufts aren't.

Do you honestly think there's much difference between Pitt, Emory, or Northwestern and Tufts? Perhaps you're paying too much attention to US News. In any case, I don't think that there is, and personally, I'd pick Tufts over all of three other schools because of Boston. You can go to any residency from any med school, so you might as well be in a nice city.

meanderson said:
And let's also not act as if tufts is Pittsburgh, Northwestern, or Emory. And there are plenty of people who argue that those schools ranked MUCH higher than tufts aren't worth the extra money over an average state school. Their are only 5 or 6 schools that I'm sure I would fork out the extra 80-120k to go to over my state school, and places like tufts, jefferson, and GW aren't in that league.

Yes, there might be *slight* advantages to picking a school like Tufts, Jefferson, etc over a school like Uconn or Umass or RWJ. But I would still argue that there is no advantage. But still, I will admit the small possibility that there is a miniscule difference. Just like I'll admit the small possibility that Heinz ketchup tastes a little better than Hunt's, but I'm not going to pay $12.50 for a bottle of Heinz rather than $2.50 for a bottle of Hunt's.

Look, I understand how some students want to go to a prestigious school. But schools like Jefferson and Tufts aren't.

One more thing....... Why do you think BU and Tufts each get 8,000 to 10,000 applications per year? People want to live in Boston, and the schools have good reputations.

meanderson said:

i was checking out your posts, meanderson, and it seems you're one of the people that really have a problem with tufts, but there is no good reason why. Do you know how many schools charge over 55k to go to school there for a year? Tufts is charging just a few thou over that, and brings a strong reputation, cool location, and diverse student body to the equation. Tufts is not ranked as high as northwestern, but it matches pretty well, better than sinai and einstein. You don't seem to around telling people not to go to Temple, EVMS, NYMed, Einstein, dartmouth, gtown, etc...

Every doctor i've talked to seemed pleasantly surprised i was going to tufts. That does not mean much, but i certainly would value their opinion more than yours. I mean, even after comparing match lists with UAB and seeing that Tufts' was better, you found it necessary to say that UAB students could match better, if they wanted to. Well, i think your conjectures are taking things a bit too far. Last time i checked, we don't rate how successful someone is based on what they "could've" done. Also, if i wanted to know what 90% of the medical community thinks, i'm sure a matchlist would be a better representation then your comments.

i am pretty sure you have the belief that only tufts is just very expensive, but every private school is. Duke might have enough money to give aid, but most kids aren't even looking at a school like that. In addition, for a lot of kids, we can't get aid, so then a few thousand bucks is not worth going to some place we'd rather not go.

so why so bitter? you can't afford tufts? thats too bad, some of us can (or are willing to take loans) and since i don't get pissy at poor kids and URM's for getting financial aid (free money, mind you), so you shouldn't get annoyed with the way i choose to spend my family's earned money. Not everyone is as concerned about saving money as you. If you feel like bashing me for wealth, that's stupid. I think its better to make more money and spend it freely then to try to act like making money is not important and then being cheap all the time. To each his own, but i think you should lay off of Tufts for being expensive, for their are many other schools that are less reputable, have worse locations, less diversity, worse matchlists, and are just as expensive.

Here's a question: If a student is doing HPSP, does the scenery change?

Mr.Tweed said:
Do you honestly think there's much difference between Pitt, Emory, or Northwestern and Tufts? Perhaps you're paying too much attention to US News. In any case, I don't think that there is, and personally, I'd pick Tufts over all of three other schools because of Boston. You can go to any residency from any med school, so you might as well be in a nice city.

Honestly, is there a difference in pitt and tufts? Sure, but it's not great. Not nearly as great as the pitt fans would have you believe. But there is clearly a bigger difference between pitt(a school some think could break the top 12 soon) and tufts(a school on the edge of the top 50) than there is between tufts and a school like RWJ.

Remember, I'm the one in these forums who usually argues that it is the individual that makes the applicant, and except for a few top schools, the kind of residency you get depends so much more on the individual's application than the med school they went to.

Yeah, I don't believe US NEWS rankings are the most important point one should look at between deciding between schools, but Tufts isn't even in the same ballpark there in terms of schools like Pitt and Northwestern.

If you want to be an ent you can do it from rwj. You can do it from pitt. You can do it from Hopkins. You can do it from Tufts. And you can do it from Wayne State. I just think it's silly to act as it's commonly accepted that Tufts is roughly thr equivalent of Pitt. I bet if a poll was posted it would be 90% for Pitt. (or vandy, emory, northwestern, etc)

I don't see any way that you can argue that Pitt is better or more highly regarged than Tufts. But I would like to see you try. So go ahead. Why is Pitt better than Tufts? Can you supply any evidence? In any case, I bet physicians are more familiar with Tufts than with Pitt.

meanderson said:
Honestly, is there a difference in pitt and tufts? Sure, but it's not great. Not nearly as great as the pitt fans would have you believe. But there is clearly a bigger difference between pitt(a school some think could break the top 12 soon) and tufts(a school on the edge of the top 50) than there is between tufts and a school like RWJ.

Remember, I'm the one in these forums who usually argues that it is the individual that makes the applicant, and except for a few top schools, the kind of residency you get depends so much more on the individual's application than the med school they went to.

Yeah, I don't believe US NEWS rankings are the most important point one should look at between deciding between schools, but Tufts isn't even in the same ballpark there in terms of schools like Pitt and Northwestern.

If you want to be an ent you can do it from rwj. You can do it from pitt. You can do it from Hopkins. You can do it from Tufts. And you can do it from Wayne State. I just think it's silly to act as it's commonly accepted that Tufts is roughly thr equivalent of Pitt. I bet if a poll was posted it would be 90% for Pitt. (or vandy, emory, northwestern, etc)

Dr. Melfi on Sopranos went to Tufts Med...hard to argue with that...

Mr.Tweed said:
I don't see any way that you can argue that Pitt is better or more highly regarged than Tufts. But I would like to see you try. So go ahead. Why is Pitt better than Tufts? Can you supply any evidence? In any case, I bet physicians are more familiar with Tufts than with Pitt.

1) It's peer assessment rating difference is .6. That's the difference between that and Tufts and...wait, US news stops ranking that low to get a number below 2.8.

2) There is two tenths of a difference in the average entering gpa and almost almost 3 points in mcat score. Thats a huge difference.

3) There is over a 40 point gap in the selectivity ratings between the schools.

4) There is almost a 300 million dollar difference in NIH funding between the two. A huge difference.

These are four reasons why some(95% of all premeds) would consider pitt better than tufts. I could come up with more. If your reason that Tufts is as good because it's in boston and boston is better, well, then...that's cool. But I don't think that is how most people evaluate medical school quality. Just look at the listing. Pitt has a lot more in common with schools like Vanderbilt and Baylor while Tufts has a lot more in common with schools like Jefferson.

You can do anything from either school though. Just don't get the idea that Tufts somehow snuck into the top 20 when nobody was looking. It's a fine US allopathic school but it won't open any doors for you that other non top 20 schools wont open.

meanderson, i think you're missing one subtle point here, but before i get to that, i'd say that anyone who doesn't realize that pitt (or other schools like it) is significantly stronger academically, isn't paying attention. however, the subtle point you're missing is regional bias. the tufts kids are known somewhat by MGH, BID, BW etc. so, while the school certainly isn't higher regarded than NW, Pitt, Vandy, Baylor etc. it is probably better than a similarly ranked school in kansas or something.