Tuition for HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wmelon2021

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Incoming MS1, accepted with AF HPSP. I just received notice of when Fall tuition is due this summer. Haven't received scroll approval yet. Will Air Force handle my tuition bill directly with my school's office of financial aid when the time comes?

Members don't see this ad.

Incoming MS1, accepted with AF HPSP. I just received notice of when Fall tuition is due this summer. Haven't received scroll approval yet. Will Air Force handle my tuition bill directly with my school's office of financial aid when the time comes?

Time to call your school and talk to your recruiter. The answer should be yes, but you'll need to coordinate it through the two of them!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
worst case scenario is you fork over the first semester tuition and you will eventually get back paid. Just be prepared for that possibility.

I'd be in constant communication with your financial aid department and even HPSP should this situation appear to be on the horizon. Yes, your financial aid department knows the government is good for the money but HPSP pays the tuition balance not always 100% of the bill (so you can't get a outside scholarships then have HPSP essentially pay you). Potentially (worst case scenario, right?) if HPSP sees that you paid the first semester balance they might not pay the school for that semester. Cause HPSP pays the school directly, not you to then cut a check to the school.

Since you say you're air force and haven't gotten scroll approval which means you won't do COT before starting school. In this years contract, the FY 2017 AFHPSP says that you will be required to attend COT before they begin paying scholarship benefits.

Not sure about Air Force or Navy but we always have one person who decides they want to do the HPSP about a month before school starts. There is no way we can get the scroll and paperwork for the money to flow before they start. We send a memorandum to the school itself saying they are awarded the scholarship and the payment will be on its way. The financial office will usually allow the student to start school and give no late payments. I had one at UNECOM last year I had to do this with and we had one at Albany the year before. The stipend you will just be out of luck until it goes through but you will be back paid in full. Hopefully you have a good recruiter that has some writing ability and can schmooze a little. (Army healthcare recruiter)

Last edited:
Hello, all. My recruiter let me know my scroll would be coming out this week. Thinking it would take longer, I bought a ticket to Europe. Won't be back to commision until about 2 weeks before my first year of medschool. I know my stipend and tuition payment will be late...but what I'm really unclear about is if I'll receive my stipend back paid or not. For example...ill commission July 24th, and start classes August 8th. I realize the payment processing takes time. If first stipend payment was for example on Sep 1, would it be a bigger check including Augusts stipend? To me it just seems that the commission date and start of classes date should matter...regardless of how long the paperwork takes to process.

Your stipend starts the first day of school or if you commission after the start of school then the date you sign your contract. You will be back paid anything that is owed back to that date.

Reactions: 1 user
For those that look at this thread for reference, if your scroll is not approved before your term then you will not get back pay. I am doing the AF dental 3 year HPSP and did not get my scroll approved till November of 2015. The other AF HPSP students in my class had their scroll and commission in Feb of 2015. They commissioned me at the end of November 2015 and told me that I would not be getting back pay and my pay would not start till the second semester. I tried to get them to give me back pay but was told that it just wasn't in the budget. So my 3 year HPSP ended up being 2.5.

Come to find out the person responsible for submitting me for the scroll didn't submit me and one other guy. Moral of the story, don't expect back pay.

For those that look at this thread for reference, if your scroll is not approved before your term then you will not get back pay. I am doing the AF dental 3 year HPSP and did not get my scroll approved till November of 2015. The other AF HPSP students in my class had their scroll and commission in Feb of 2015. They commissioned me at the end of November 2015 and told me that I would not be getting back pay and my pay would not start till the second semester. I tried to get them to give me back pay but was told that it just wasn't in the budget. So my 3 year HPSP ended up being 2.5.

Come to find out the person responsible for submitting me for the scroll didn't submit me and one other guy. Moral of the story, don't expect back pay.

In the Army we can't commission you until the scroll has already been approved. Did your recruiter tell you that you were going to get back pay even though you were not commissioned yet?

In the Army we can't commission you until the scroll has already been approved. Did your recruiter tell you that you were going to get back pay even though you were not commissioned yet?
This happened to me too. I don't know what to do about it.