Tuition getting outta control??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
L

lord_helmet

Well, i guess I shouldn't be surprised to hear that my school is going to raise the tuition another 6% next year. To pay for the extra costs, i have decided to collect cans, which will make the homeless mad, or invite all my friends/family over to the house and then collect the money that they dropped from under the couch. :idea:

To be honest, I wouldnt mind a 3% increase for documented expences/expansion. however, an increase that big is huge.... i guess i should add that my tuition is about 30k/year, and i get my money from private lenders.

Even though I max out my loan, which is necessary to keep the repo man at bay, I am going to have to either take a second job or live in a cardboard box. :(

What do you guys think? should we start an uprising? what about you administrators??

There has to be a better way of doing things with-out gouging the students, then kicking them in the gut and taking their underware too.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm very fortunate that I'm at UF, tuition is only around $7K/ year. Thank goodness for state schools!

my tuition has gone up $2000 each year i have been here (1K /semester)

but i go to a private school and currently tuition is 10K/semester soon to be 11K

Members don't see this ad :)
my undergrad (private) just had a 6% hike announced for next year!

they really ought to raise the stafford loan limit correspondingly to the average tuition increases each year (they don't do this already - right?).

i don't know how i could afford to live if my wife was not working full-time.

My first year in 1991, My tuition was $15,500 per year. Pharmacist Salary was around $60,000 per year in CA.
My last year in 1995, my tuition was $18,500 per year. Pharmacist Salary was around $70,000 per year in CA.

My school is raising tuition 12%...they keep trying to ease the blow by telling us that we are STILL the lowest priced pharmacy school in the big ten...well big whoop...does that justify me shelling out another 1200 dollar??

PS: The faculty will also be getting raises. Gotta love that.

OSURxgirl said:
My school is raising tuition 12%...they keep trying to ease the blow by telling us that we are STILL the lowest priced pharmacy school in the big ten...well big whoop...does that justify me shelling out another 1200 dollar??

PS: The faculty will also be getting raises. Gotta love that.

Jut think...when you get out of school, you can make 1200 dollars by working merely 24 hours.....

Don't y'all have 11 schools in Big 10? :smuggrin:

gotta love the state school:

when I graduated pharm school in 2003 I was paying about 3700/semester and in med school now I'm paying 9000/semester which is about to increase for the third year in a row up to 10000/semester. State budget crisis sux! :thumbdown:

ZpackSux said:
My first year in 1991, My tuition was $15,500 per year. Pharmacist Salary was around $60,000 per year in CA.
My last year in 1995, my tuition was $18,500 per year. Pharmacist Salary was around $70,000 per year in CA.

take me back to 1991 :) it's almost double now :(

Think of it this way. If you don't overspend, most of you can realistically pay off your debt very quickly.

I am paying 10.5K/year. Of course my loans are higher because of additional expenses. I'll probably be 70K in debt when I graduate. Not a big deal! :)

USN's tutition for the 2004-2005 school year was $29,106

I just got my finance info packet today from them and tutition has gone up to $30,852 :eek:

Wont' stop me from attending though, can't wait :D

tanyas said:
take me back to 1991 :) it's almost double now :(

It's ok... salary is almost double also....

Members don't see this ad :)
ZpackSux said:
It's ok... salary is almost double also....

With increased salary comes increased tax bracket (eventually).

Must find other things to deduct.....

Wow, you guys seem lucky, my estimated overall cost next year is ~45K. (30+ for tuition). Should put me at around 200K debt when I get done :thumbdown:

I Hate Private Schools. St. Johns Is A Catholic School That Is Comitted To Helping The Poor. Someone Please Explain Why One Credit Costs $900 For A Summer Session. Tuition Per Semester Is Around 10g's

Where does all that tuition money go? To pay professors and ....... what else?? They're still way in the positive.. It's not like they use it to upgrade facilities all that often..

skp said:
they really ought to raise the stafford loan limit correspondingly to the average tuition increases each year (they don't do this already - right?).

i don't know how i could afford to live if my wife was not working full-time.

umm...i thought the loans do increase depending on how much money you need for tuition? At least our tuition went up...but so did how much we can take out in loans.

Already we can take out 31,000 if we live at home. Honestly, NSU is much more expensive than what i keep hearing from you guys.

we have to pay next year close to $19,000 in just tuition (not talking about those BS fees that schools like to put in like "clinic fees" for a clinic you didn't even knew existed...LOL)

But its okay with me...just being able to stay at home was well worth it for me. :D

TrojanAnteater said:
Wow, you guys seem lucky, my estimated overall cost next year is ~45K. (30+ for tuition). Should put me at around 200K debt when I get done :thumbdown:

I bow my hat to you....that is one expensive school. Why is it so expensive? location?

our facilities really are updated that often...

that and the grass is green all year round

ChemAngel said:
umm...i thought the loans do increase depending on how much money you need for tuition? At least our tuition went up...but so did how much we can take out in loans.

Already we can take out 31,000 if we live at home. Honestly, NSU is much more expensive than what i keep hearing from you guys.

we have to pay next year close to $19,000 in just tuition (not talking about those BS fees that schools like to put in like "clinic fees" for a clinic you didn't even knew existed...LOL)

But its okay with me...just being able to stay at home was well worth it for me. :D

I thought gov't loans were capped. Are they not?
I really don't know to much about this stuff...

skp said:
I thought gov't loans were capped. Are they not?
I really don't know to much about this stuff...
it is my understanding they are...

everyone here takes out the max in gov't loans and then take out private loans

bbmuffin said:
it is my understanding they are...

everyone here takes out the max in gov't loans and then take out private loans

:laugh: oh...than I guess it was just a coincidence. The amount of loan I'm allowed to take out before private loans have increased....and for some reason so did the tuition....

I guess it is simply a question of who came first: the chicken or the egg.

ChemAngel said:
I bow my hat to you....that is one expensive school. Why is it so expensive? location?

Dunno, I figured all private schools were that much. Both So. Cal private pharmacy schools USC and Western are over 30K in tuition a year. So with living expenses and stuff should be around 45K total/year. I do feel a bit better as my friend going to dental school at NYU has an expected yearly cost of over 75K.

ChemAngel said:

Hey there... as you know I start at Nova this August. I thought tuition this year was around $17500- or is that just for 1st years? Has it gone up again that I am not aware of?